Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Evil Men Do
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
fistandantilus4.0
St. Michael's Church, Redmond Seattle - Tues, Oct 23rd - 2072

The night's air is cool as Haze walks out onto the steps of Saint Michael's, the old church with the small orphanage that he's called home all his life. It's not an easy life certainly, but a worthy one. He smiles wondering where his own thoughts stop and Father Michael's begin. Sayings like that are so common that he can hardly tell the difference any more. Breathing in the Autumn air, he smells the familiar tinge in the air, the acrid smells that are omnipresent in the barrens. The strongest is the acid like tang, like sniffing a battery. To Father Michael, it's the smell of hard work left to do. To Haze, it just smell's like home.
Tuedsay, blessed Tuesday. Nothing ever happens on a Tuesday.
Haze tries not to think the thought, knowing what a jinx it will be. Father Michael says, never tempt the devil. Haze closes his eyes and tries to will the words out of existance, wishing he could take them back.

The first gun shot rings out. Two more follow in rapid succession. They're so close there's a startling moment of wondering if his sin was so great he deserved to die for it. After a moment, Haze realizes he's not dead, and looks around. People are running away. Everyone runs from gunshots.

Damn Tuesdays
SinN
After composing himself, Haze walks back inside the church.

Father! He shouts. Father, Im here!

Haze normally stops by the old church every couple days to help out however he can. He'd been coming here for months after leaving the orphanage. He knows he can never repay Father Micheal for everything hes ever done, but Haze figures its worth a try.

Haze sits in a pew and waits for Father Micheal to make his appearance.
fistandantilus4.0
Only a few moments later, Father Michael comes into the chapel from the back at a job. His eyes see Haze first, but he keeps moving.
What's happening outside?! I heard gun shots!
SinN
Gunshots, I dont know where from. I just wanted to make sure you're okay.

Haze jogs back inside to see whats going on.
fistandantilus4.0
Just across the street, a familiar scene is playing out. No one in sight seems to be the sort to be carrying. The shooter has already split the scene. The carrion eaters have moved in. A huddled mass metahumanity is gathered in a tight group on the side walk, obscuring the scavenge they've come upon. Haze can see clothes being pulled off, even as blood pools around the feet of the those huddled in the mass. Life in the barrens is a cheap thing, less important than the clothes on one's back, and what treasures pockets might hold. The carrion eaters quickly strip the body, and begin to dissapear back down alleyways and into hovels, before more aggressive scavengers appear to prey on the eaters, taken both what they have, and what they've just taken.

Taking no more than 30 seconds, what is left is the body of a man, wearing now only a blood stained shirt, his body already completely stripped. Blood pools across the side walk, not fifty feet from the door of St. Michael's, a testament to the cruelty of life; dying within sight of a sanctuary.

Father Michael stands at the top of the stairs, seeing the body, but watching the people on the street.
Seth, please, go see that the poor man is desecrated no further, while I get my things. I fear his life has already fled. He will need Last Rights.
SinN
Haze watches in horror at the sight in front of him. He feels pity for the poor man, and rage towards those with little care for his life. Before he can react the scavage is over. He hears Father Micheals words, but he's already moving as he speaks.

Yes Father.

Haze walks across the street pushing through anyone who gets in the way. As he aproaches the man he takes off his brown long coat and lays it over his body. He kneels down before him, and whispers:
Im sorry my friend. Though I didnt know you, I wish I could have done something. Hopefully you're at some kind of peace now. He then says a small prayer and lifts the man off the ground, turning around, he makes his way back to the church.

Fucking scavangers....No regard for anyone but their own asses.
fistandantilus4.0
Perception Test - Visual
Haze has a frustrating moment when he realizes that life ain't like the trid. The man's damn heavy. In life, he would have fallen into the category of "out of shape", although not quite "over weight". With a bit of wrestling, he manages to get him up, although it's less than graceful, and there's blood everywhere. God's work is apparently messy.
SinN
Results:

Dice:6,Edge:false(3/3)
Results:1 5 1 4 2 5
HITS:2

http://www.otherrealm.net/sr/
fistandantilus4.0
Haze quickly notices a few details about the man that paint the scene as odd. His shirt is a new, and looks designer. His hair, although messed up now, is well cut, and his face is free of the usual cuts, scrapes, and dirt of a barrens dweller. He looks to have had some basic work done, including body mods. He muscle mass should be less than it is, judging by his belly. You usually get that with the muscle toner augmentations rich people buy to keep from having to actually exercise. This man is definitely not from the barrens.
SinN
Haze gets a confused look on his face as he walks into the cathedrial carrying the body of his visitor.

Now whats a clean cut like yourself, doing down here? Were you trying to die? Maybe a chip head lookin for a fix, tryin to find a dealer. Well my friend, wrong fuckin alley.

Father, Ive brought him. Please hurry, he's a bit heavier than I expected.
fistandantilus4.0
Setting the body down on the step, Haze catches his breath for a second. In the rare moment of quiet in the barrens, he hears a sharp cracking noise, followed by a sickening sucking/tearing sound that sounds familiar but he can't quiet place. It's followed by a crashing noise from the alley beside the church.
SinN
Father! Stay inside the church!

Haze runs down the Cathedrial and out to the alley way with his Ares Predator pointed.
fistandantilus4.0
Haze hears Father Michael holler out What is it ?! from inside, but it's a distant sound only as he moves quickly off the step, moving with purpose to the side alley. His personal fears are set aside for the moment, resolve settling in. Father Michael used to say that there were two kinds of men~ Those ran run away from danger, and those that run towards it. The question wasn't so much which were you, as the why.

Haze skids around the corner, thinking at the last moment that perhaps he should have scanned around the corner first before barreling into the alleyway, but somewhere in the back of his head, he's recognizing the sound; like tearing the leg off of a chicken.

Lying on the ground in the refuse and rain water is the body of a man in a priest's habit, the confessional stole still on his shoulders. Haze almost sickens up as he scans the alley for his head, finally spotting the head and face of Father Matthews, the older, senior priest of St. Michael's, some thirty feet away, face stricken in horror and pain.

It's one of those horrifying moments where you wish you could stop thinking, but do anyway. Haze remembers what "they" say about the head surviving for a full 8 seconds after decapitation just as he locks eyes with the murdered priest.
SinN
Haze nearly vomits at the scene. At first he doesnt beleive its real. A nightmare he's walked into. But after a second glance, he accepts the horror.

Oh...God... He covers his mouth with his firing hand, holding the gun up in front of his face. Rage begins to fill Haze, as he racks his brain as to who couldve done this to such a good man.

Father Mathews.... Who could've done this to you.

He looks to the sky, and the clouds and falling rain.
WHY!?

He walks towards the body keeping his gun drawn, waiting for anything to pop its head out. He looks up and down the alley, makig sure nothing is sneaking up behind him.
fistandantilus4.0
The alley appears to be empty, no one in sight, the scavengers having already fled from the killing of the man on the street.
Perception Test - Visual
SinN
Results:

Dice:6,Edge:false(3/3)
Results:4 6 5 4 5 1
HITS:3

fistandantilus4.0
The grisly scene is hard to process, but a few things still stand out fairly clear. First is the neck. It lookes broken. The flesh is torn. This was no clean cut. Father Matthew's head was torn from his body some how. Second, the back of the tobes are stained, even though he fell on his chest. He was against the wall. Looking at the wall, the blood spray starts about 7 feet up. Father Matthews was under six feet tall.
SinN
Something big did this, or something that could fly. I better get Father Micheal...

Haze walks back into the church shouting for Father Micheal. His tone sounds tired, and a bit hoarse from fighting back tears. Haze felt close to all the Preists and Nuns of the church. This was a real loss to him.
fistandantilus4.0
Seth? Seth, what is it?!
Father Michael is running up the aisle with a bible in hand as Haze runs back in the door. He slides to a stop, grabbing the young man by the shoulders to steddy him. He looks bewildered and concerned, trying to calm Haze.
Seth, what happened?!
SinN
Hazes mind races, how does he even begin to tell Father Micheal.

Its.....Father Matthews. He's been killed....Ripped apart. Is all he can get out before going numb. He plops down into the long pue next to them.

You better call the police. And Father? He means that not as a title, but for what he is to him. I love you.
fistandantilus4.0
Father Michael stands stunned, the shock plain on his face. He gathers it in, laying a hand on Haze's shoulder as he draws himself up.
I will see to Father Matthews.. and this poor man. Seth ... ... He lets the words drop, walking outside.

It's hard to say how long it takes, but soon Father Michael steps back inside. There's blood on his clothes. He walks into the back, returning minutes later with a large white cloth.
Seth, help me.
Father Michael walks out side stiffly, then into the alley. He lays the large white shroud over the murdered preists' body, gathering it beneath him, and readying to move him inside, into the sanctity of the church.
SinN
Haze follows Father Micheal outside into the alley way. Once the white sheet is draped over the dead preist, he squats down and readies himself to lift him.

Ready when you are. He almost whispers.
fistandantilus4.0
The priest is quiet as they carry the body inside, placing the shrouded figure in one of the other unoccupied rooms. Father Michael performs the necessary rites over the body of their friend, standing quietly for some time until he speaks.

Seth, a good man has died today. Father Matthews was wearing the stole for receiving Confessions. It's possible that he may have been killed for something that he heard. I doubt that these two murders are anything but related. Find out what you can about that poor man, while I see to Father Matthew. I will arrange for the preparation of both bodies.

I know... that this is hard for you. Can you help me with this?

SinN
Yes Father. Ill do what I can. Haze takes a moment to take a deep breath.

Did the man have a wallet on him? Any sort of identification?
fistandantilus4.0
The man was stripped of everything but his shirt by the scavengers.
SinN
Haze walks to the strange mans body and snaps a picture of his face. Then calls his Rade.
fistandantilus4.0
The phone rings a couple of times before synching with Raid's commlink. The pic that fills the screen isn't the familiar face of his friend, but instead the familiar icon of a action hero-esque war pilot, complete with half smoked cigar. The background shows what seems to be a paused game of Unreal At War 4. Raid's icon's gruff voice answers, the cigar dangling precariously.
Haze! Just in time, I could use a second squad on the left flank! The bastards are coming through with a full batallion, and I need a distraction!
SinN
Later..Raid. Listen. I need your help. Im sending you a picture of a man. I need you to find out who he is. And why the fuck he was in Redmund. Can you do this for me?

He crosses his body, having relized he just cursed in a church.
fistandantilus4.0
The ancient image of Nick Fury: Howling Commando mixed with TheLast Star Fighter blinks for a second, confused.
Huh? Uhh... sure, I'll see what I can dig up. I don't knw if I can tell ya' what he was doin' in Redmond, but I can probably find out who he is for you.Why? Spit in the holy water or something?
SinN
Haze sends the picture.

He's a little clean cut for our neck of the woods eh? He was murdered right across the street from the Church.
fistandantilus4.0
Whoa ... yeah, guess that explains the blood and the "dead guy" look. Just let me finish with this Battle and I'll het right on it.
SinN
Haze raises his voice a little bit.
Raid, you need to do this now. Father Matthews......was killed to. In the alley next to the church. Haze is visibly upset.
fistandantilus4.0
What!? What the fuck Haze, you can't tell me that first!? What the hell happened?!
SinN
Becuase I didnt want to upset you. But I needed you to know how urgent this is. Im going to find who did this Raid. But I cant do it with out you. So you need to keep it together, soka?
fistandantilus4.0
So some psychopath murdered Father Matthews and some Upright Citizen right in front of the church!? What the fuck!? Damn it, and you know the Star won't do jack. The whole area's barely a D-zone. Fuck man, I'll do whatever you need.

The icon starts pacing angrily as he closes down the matrix game.
SinN
Thanks Raid. knew I could count on you. Call me when you got some info. Im gonna go work some mojo and see if the astral picked up anything.

Haze closes his com shut and sits in a pew, and projects himself into the astral, and flowing out to the alley. Looking for anything out of the ordinary, but being very cautius, ready to go back to his body anytime.
fistandantilus4.0
Roll Assensing
SinN

Results:

Dice:5,Edge:false(2/3)
Results:5 4 6 6 4
HITS:3

fistandantilus4.0
The astral plane is sharp and distinct with the feel of sudden and cruel violence. It's almost painful at the scene of so recent and grisly a murder. Father Matthews' stark terror and sudden pain are still very evident, as is the residue of the pure malice that destoryed him. That malice is the lingering taint of the priests' murderer. The residue of fading magic is present as well, with the same hate and maliciousness tainting it.
There is a remaining spell signature that Haze has spotted and assensed. It looks like a nuber of spells were used, of different types. The actual spells themselves are not disecentable due to the lingering back ground count, but he can recognize the signature in teh future.
SinN
Got ya you bastard.

Not being able to bear the overwhelming feeling of fear and pain, Haze goes back to his body. As soon as he see's Father Micheal he leaves him one last message before he leaves.

Father, leave a message for Preist. I would like to speak to him as soon as I can. Im going to do some legwork on the man who was shot.

Sends a text to Raid:
Hey man, Im coming to you. Hold off on any info till I get there. Dont worry, Father Micheal is taking care of Father Matthews. WE just focus on this for now. BE there in 30.

fistandantilus4.0
A look of real cocern and turmoil crosses over Father Michael's face. He suddenly looks years older, but he nods.

Haze takes off, soon finding himself in the run down hood Raid calls home. Raid's apartment building isn't much to look at, but that's because the rundown squat isn't much. Thank God for the wireless matrix.
SinN
Haze enters the building and climbs the stairs to Raids apartment, once he's there he bangs on the door three times.

Raid! It's me! Open up man!
fistandantilus4.0
After a minute, and quite a lot of bitching, the door opens. It's not Raid, but a cheap anthroform assistant he's cobbled together from parts. Raid is across the room, straightening things up.

Jesus, I thought you guys that lived in churches had some God Damned patience!
SinN
Patients is a virtue, and I dont have time for either right now. You get any good info chummer?

Haze walks into the apartment, looking around at nothing and everything.
fistandantilus4.0
Raid quickly orients himself, pulling up an AR file and shooting a copy to Haze.

Guy's name is ... was Samuel Cooper, Sam to friends. Seattle local, has a condo he owns in Downtown, not far from Queen Anne district. Guy's an investor, does well for himself. Worth a few million, all in investments. He's single, does the dating thing, but does the call girl thing more. Late 40s, son of a business man, Marcus Cooper, deceased. Member of a couple of pro-business policlubs like the Business Improvement Disctrict, One Americas, Arch Conservatives, and weirly, donates to MoM. Guess he's looking for a tax write off. No known kids legit or otherwise, no known debts or vices, besides a little gambling at the Gates, which means no mob ties. Standard venture capitolist really. No known ties to any mega, he's apparently independantly wealthy. He does have various stock interests of course, but who doesn't.
He pauses, looking Haze over, considering, apparently deciding it's better not to ask. He continues.
Given some cred or a lot more time, I could probably get a psych profile together, or maybe hack his p2.0 account. Kinda like your MyFace social blogger BS, but with a 5K entrance fee. A little nod to the Have/Have Nots. Kinda doubt you're a "Have" in secret, and I know I'm not, so I'd hafta hack it, or find someone willing to spill some intel. Anyway, besides the guy doing some regualr charity donations, all via the matrix and automatic by the way, I can't figure why he was in Redmond. I can tell you that he took transportation other than his own though. Either he didn't want his car broken into, sensible really, or he didn't want anybody recognizing him. Raid shrugs.
SinN
Haze looks the info over, slight puzzled.
You can practicly see this guys halo. So why would someone off em? Robbery you think? And just minutes before Father Mathews? Im not sure if its connected. This man was shot in plain site, Father Mathews was..... Haze trying to catch himself before he spoke, but decided he'd already come to far into the sentence, Raid was an adult, he could handle truths better then half-truths.....butchered in the alley. He places a hand on Raids shoulder. Please dont freak out, I need you to stay with me Raid. He turns around pacing the apartment, looking in Raids drawers and cubords for any drugs Raid could take to attempt to heal his greif. Haze needed him sober. Ill get you your 5k, we need that info. And perhaps we can use his accounts as funding for our little adventure.
[color=salmon]My biggest concern is Father Mathews killer, instead of the our mysterious friend here. But I will do some legwork. Get his home address, and Ill go investigate. I wanna be sure these two are'nt connected. He doesnt have family or kids, so this will make it easier to get around his place. Some call girl comes in, Ill just make up some drek about bein a partner in an investment or somethin. Comin by to pick up some paperwork he left for me. I dunno, some shit like that. As for Father Micheals, I got a good astral signiture from his killer. Ill be able to recognize it later if I see it. Ill have you know, I detected a number of spells cast. It must've took alot to bring down the Father, he didnt go without a fight. Im sure he hurt whatever it was. Gave it somethin to remember him by I hope.

Text to Father Micheals
Father, please let me know when you've contacted Preist, and an estimated time of when to expect him, either the usual mystery hour in the middle of the night or otherwise.
fistandantilus4.0
Raid nods, pulling up the information on Cooper Haze requested. Hey I'm arctic here bud. Just let me know where you need me. You know, as long as "where" ... is ... here...
Good luck getting Father Michaels to actually respond to a text message by the way. Think you'll see the second coming before that guy sends a text anywhere.
SinN
Haze chuckles.
I planned to stop by the church again anyway. Haze gets the information he needs, stands, and makes his leave.
Keep me posted. Shuts the door.

He hops into a cab headed to the address of Cooper. There he hopes to find a few more clues.
fistandantilus4.0
The cab drops Haze off just out side of a large office plex/residence high rise district. His ID doesn't give him general access to the area, so he's dropped on the perimeter. I quick AR search shows Cooper's residence in one of the three large buildings before him. A quick visual scan also shows a few roving security guards. Although only lightly armed, they have the one weapon that is truly dangerous; the radio.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012