Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you have to activate Improved Reflexes?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ranger
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 23 2009, 07:07 AM) *
That still doesn't make them magicians.

True. An adept is not a magician, I agree with that, since magician, adept, and mystic adept are 3 distinct qualities. I was just pointing out that adepts can astrally perceive, if they spend 1 power point to buy the power.
pbangarth
Yeah, again careless wording thorughout the rule set gets us into arguments. In some places 'magician' means the sub-category, in others it means 'awakened'.

I go with the interpretation that anyone who can perceive astrally can deal with signatures.
Ranger
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 23 2009, 07:12 AM) *
Yeah, again careless wording thorughout the rule set gets us into arguments. In some places 'magician' means the sub-category, in others it means 'awakened'.

I go with the interpretation that anyone who can perceive astrally can deal with signatures.

That's true, too. For example, the description of the Magic attribute (SR4A, 177) uses the term "Magician" throughout, even though we know that Adepts and Mystic Adepts also have the Magic attribute.

So, I agree that this is a reasonable interpretation about being able to remove astral signatures.
TKDNinjaInBlack
I would have to disagree with the consensus about Nerve Strike. If the magic were wholly directed towards the adept and their ability to target and strike nerve centers, then armor would still be factored in as some kind of hindrance or barrier to be dealt with.

My group discussed this one day and decided that there would have to be some kind of mystical projection of mana or energy in order to completely ignore armor and still be able to strike with the same efficiency regardless of the amount of protection. That's what makes nerve strike so powerful when used effectively, is its ability to take down highly armored super high body attribute trolls and the like, by using its different mechanic to paralyze them.

Trust me, I love the idea of the magic just making the pinpoint focus of a martial artist even better, but there would have to be some kind of armor modifier if it were just physical. I mean come on, even in Kung Fu Panda Ti Long couldn't use his nerve strike effectively against Po because of how fat he was.
tagz
I go with the interpretation that one must be able to both astrally perceive AND outwardly effect the world with magic to erase a signature. Thus, a magician can obviously erase a signature, an adept with astral perception cannot since he/she doesn't use magic in that manner, they run it through their own bodies. A mystic adept CAN erase a signature but only if they take the astral perception power since they need to be able to identify it first.

I think of it kinda like cleaning up a soda spill. You need to both see the spill and have something to soak it up with. You wouldn't soak it up if you just rubbed it around with your hands.

This is how we're playing it at my table.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012