Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Buddha72
Hey all!

I have decided to try this on-line game thing. I am looking for 4 players minimum. I have 2 slots reserved at the moment. One for Blitz and Fenris. I will probably cap at 6 tops, assuming I get some compelling submissions.

So here's the breakdown. Build characters with 125 BPs please. I allow a maximum of 5 edges and 5 flaws with a net difference of 5 points max. I have the same needs you have probably read a million times. Backgrounds with well thought out concepts, don't cripple your character with excessive flaws, build characters that have some reason to work in a co-operative manner, and be mature. After you have built your character you get 100 karma to improve them. I want veterans of the shadow world. You will also receive an addtional 500,000 nuyen to spend after the character has been finalized. This extra gear is subject to street index and ratings. Don't get too out there with gear please (4 cases of APDS, etc), I want to keep a gritty feel to the game. I am open to anything cannon to the SR world (changelings, ghouls, meta-variants, etc). I will need a copy of your characters for reference, send them to the email attached to my id here. I will need to know when you would be posting. I want to set a schedule everyday to move the game forward. It seems on-line games move so slowly and people lose interest as they drag on. I want to try to avoid that by having a daily GM nudge to the timeline/events.

The game will be very magic and metahuman focused. So if you are playing a mundane character, make sure you have some background in magic-related skills. You will be hired as part of a team to deal with a upcoming threat to the city of Seattle. You do not need to do-gooders for this run but it wouldn't hurt. I plan to send out regular files to you all with maps, extra info, etc. I have no life right now so feast on my boredom.

I am certain there will be questions about things I have forgotten to mention so let them fly.
Grey
Oh man, I just got an idea to bring an old character of mine back into play. He is a Ork physad named Paladin. He has lots of contact with the Ork Underground and a rep on the street for being a good guy, but not the type that is a pansey, just someone people respect.
Fallon_Blackthorne
Alright, pmed you a character bcuz I could not find the email addy that is suppose to be attached?
Buddha72
Ok, shoot character concepts to buddhaboy72@hotmail.com. Sorry about that. I will take submissions till Friday and start the game on Monday.
Blitz
Buddha...luv ya dear!!! Im thinking Moira...I love moira...mmmm...

Grey...why am I NOT surprised you are signing up? Is there a game on here you're NOT involved in?!
Grey
A few yeah. I tend to look at who is playing in a game and deside to join from there. When he dropped your name, I desided to join up, cause I like your RP style. Lately a bunch of the games I'm in have dropped off anyways. I've only got like 4 or 5 active games now.
Buddha72
Ok, fixed the email issue now it will be there for you to send to. I do favor roleplaying over rollplaying. But I also know nothing beats the thrill of throwing a handful of dice. nyahnyah.gif I will let people roll their own rolls unless things start to look fishy (OH WOW!! all 6's again). I will have an IC and OOC thread, so just let me know what you're rolling and for what. I am very open to complimentary skill rolls, if you think it would apply run it past me. I am a co-operative GM, no me against you business. That is all for now.
Digital Heroin
*twitch, twitch* Sooo have a concept... may be a touch at odds with the other characters, but only verbally, well, unless they happen to be Toxic... thinking a mundane, resistant to magic himself, hunts out Toxic and Blood... possibly an Amerind, very likely to be metahuman... will flesh out the idea on paper, then submit a character...

There any prefered method of sheetage? I tend to write mine in a text format, because my two systems have different setups editing-wise, and the NSRCG doesn't have the book feel... also, SURGE a yes, or a no?
toturi
So do we spend the karma immediately? or do we send in the original char before we do anything?

Yes, I want to play.
Buddha72
Send me a snap shot of the character after the first build, then one with the improvements with the 100 karma. As far as formats should be ok. If I have any problems with them I will get back to you. It's open submissions. I will look over what I get and pick to build the best fit possible.
Callidus
Really tempted to play this game.... Any spaces free? Thinking of playing my character (well nearly this one'll have less bp to start with) that I made for Juggernaut as it seems to have died a death *8-< I'll get you the character sheet and some background as soon as I get home tonight *8->
Bearclaw
I've got a sorceror who's earned about 30 karma. Would he be acceptable?
Buddha72
Yep to both. I am pretty felxible as long as you built close to the outline I layed out above.
Grey
Can characters be members of a maic group?
Buddha72
Yes but you need to build them like Magic in the Shadows, with strictures, etc. You will also need to populate your magic group with NPCs. Run them by me and I will look them over, I reserve the right to alter them or veto them altogether. If you want a hint to make them more agreeable to me, make them with some sort of roleplaying flavor. I see magic groups as something more than "get more powerful quick" meetings once a month. Sharing magic is very intimate act amongst a group of eccentric individuals. Some examples of ones I have created or my players have that I liked.

Keepers of Life: All shaman group that swore a vow to preserve innocent life and promote the natural world.

The Inquisitors: A group devoted to the study of deeper mysteries and ancient magics.

Five Sacred Mountains: A group of ghoul adepts that served Su Chang, Incense Master of the Yellow Lotus Triad.
Nikoli
Mind a relative new comer submitting?

I've got a SR itch I just can't scratch with my current group (only 1 is interested in SR).

Buddha72
The more the merrier. I may not be able to accommodate everyone depending on how many submissions I get. I have no problem with people new to the system. I have 2 semi-veterans (Fenris & Blitz) so I will have more than enough time free to answer questions and help out when needed.
Grey
Do you allow us to trade cash for karma?
Grey
Here is Paladin's background. If you are the type that uses OOC info IC, then don't bother reading. wink.gif

[ Spoiler ]
Buddha72
Sticky one that. In the past I have allowed it in on-going games with the house rule of only being able to cash/karma up to half the reward given. You get 4 karma you can cash/karma for 2. With this game I am going to say not with the intial build but as the game goes forward you can with rewards given out. Just make sure you track it since it doesn't add to karma pool and you will need to provide an in-game mechanic for it as well. Playing the ponies for karma for cash. Buying and studying ancient tomes on magic for cash for karma.
Callidus
How'd you want to handle gaining contacts? Can we buy them out of the 500,000? and if so do they have a street index? *8-> char sheets nearly finished just got 200k to spend and I've only bought one thing with it so far *8->
Buddha72
Pay the same cost as char gen for contacts. Make sure you give them some personality. It makes my job easier if they have depth and details so I know how to run them during interactions. I want to stress I don't want paper golems who have received a booster shot of karma and cash. I want chars with history and content, same with contacts and magic groups. No one has been doing that I just wanted to put it out there.
Callidus
Here's Harlot's background same as Grey's comment read if you want but use it and get burnt *8-> well unless your the GM *8->

[ Spoiler ]

Hopefully that's okay if you got any questions or need me to re-write it gimme a yell Buddha. I think it came out faaaar to sickly sweet but it wasn't meant to be... well not too much. She basically a nice person but certainly not a saint. *8-> Oh and the character sheet should be winging it's way to you now *8->
Nikoli
Wow, lotta great story ideas. BTW, how does one do the spolier thing?
Grey
use {spoiler} {/spoiler}

but with [] instead of {}
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Here's a character idea I had for a while. I'll have to upgrade the guy with the karma and cash, but here's the basic rundown. Name: Mackie Lane. STreet name: Expediter.

[ Spoiler ]
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Here's the basic, un karma advanced character...

[ Spoiler ]

I'll advance him tomorrow morning when I get home from work if ya like him.

Fenris
Bakatare emailed over.
Callidus
Crap, just realised that two bits of my kit are over avail 8, I'll fix it and remail you buddha just as soon as I get home.... about 9 hours *8-< that's the prob with using already made characters I guess *8->
toturi
Buddha, you got my char already?
Buddha72
Here's who I have received so far:

Bakatare hermetic mage (Fenris)
Cecil shaman mage (Smed)
Just Blake physical adept (Nikoli)
Harlot shaman mage (Callidus)
Tempest physical adept
Moira shaman mage (Blitz)
Expediter Muscle (Last of the Great Mikeys)

I can't seem to find anything to tell me who Tempest belongs to, so give a shout out. Some people are still making the upgraded verision of their character but that's fine. I'm not starting till Monday.
Nikoli
Just a quick one, what method are we using to play?

And holy crap batman, what a magic heavy party we turned out to be.
Grey
Fortune and I are working our backgrounds together, sorry for taking so long. I'll have mine done by the end of today.
Digital Heroin
I've been collaborating with Grey on background as well, should have the character to you tonight. Early evening if I get off work early.
Buddha72
When I have selected the players/characters for the game I will need those people to let me know what time they usually post. I will pick a time to move the timeline forward everyday that will give everyone the chance to post. I need a completed copy of your character for me to reference.

I am fine with people doing their own rolls unless it starts to look fishy. Just let me know what skill and any pools you are using. I may apply modifiers if needed. The OOC thread will be for rolling and admin stuff. I will send out emails with maps or personal side stuff that people take away from the public eye from time to time. I will let you all know when karma pools refresh and give out karma rewards based on chapters in the game.

Was there something more specific you wanted to know about?
Nikoli
Jimminy, the board is biting today. eek.gif

Anywhozits...

I was also wanting to know what day (s).
And will it be done on the board, via some chatroom style IM proggy, e-mail, etc.

Also, I hope someone has techie skills or we aren't gonna make it far into any buildings.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Hmmm...my Red Dice of Doom™ tend to roll pretty good (as a few here will agree I'm sure). I tend to get at least one 7+ on rolls of 5 dice or more, usually 2. Would you prefer I use the dice roller that comes with the NSRCG?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Hmmm...my Red Dice of Doom™ tend to roll pretty good (as a few here will agree I'm sure). I tend to get at least one 7+ on rolls of 5 dice or more, usually 2. Would you prefer I use the dice roller that comes with the NSRCG?
Nikoli
DH, loving that morse code signature.
Buddha72
It will happen on the board with emails as needed for maps, side conversations, etc. I am fine with you using the Red Dice of Doom, it was more the player who always succeeds with all his/her dice.
Grey
Heh, I use the NSRCG dice roller and it does pretty well for me too, but then again, sometimes it doesn't.
Grey
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
I've been collaborating with Grey on background as well, should have the character to you tonight. Early evening if I get off work early.

Oops! Sorry DH, I got that confused. I ment to say you, but for some reason dropped the other name.
Grey
My character is done, Buddha, I'll PM you the URL to find my sheet.
Fortune
QUOTE (Grey)
Fortune and I are working our backgrounds together, sorry for taking so long. I'll have mine done by the end of today.

We are???

I didn't even know I had applied for this game. biggrin.gif

Of course, you probably meant to write Digital Heroin. wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Grey)
...but for some reason dropped the other name.

It's not my fault you can't stop thinking about me! nyahnyah.gif
Grey
Well, to be honest, I had been thinking about you. I was wondering how long it will take for me to pass you as the top all time poster (non-admin). With all the games I play in, I get like 50 posts a day. smile.gif
toturi
Buddha, you haven't got my emails? Can you post you email account or PM me? I'll send them again.
Fortune
QUOTE (Grey)
Well, to be honest, I had been thinking about you. I was wondering how long it will take for me to pass you as the top all time poster (non-admin). With all the games I play in, I get like 50 posts a day. smile.gif

It ain't gonna happen! I get about the same amount of posts without counting games. biggrin.gif
Grey
Budda, can you PM me back about me character with a little feedback? I just wanted to know what you think of him and if I need to change anything or whatever.
Nikoli
Was thinking of changing characters. 6 person group with 5 magic types and 1 sammie type just doesn't jive well with me. Was thinking rigger with some security skills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012