Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC Northern Gateway
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
pbangarth
Thursday evening, 29 September 2072

@Vixen from Col. Mustard
<<Hoy Little Dumpling! Got some potential work for you up your way. Sounds like some bushwhacking and investigation for a team of four. Go to the Randy Beaver in New Liskeard, tomorrow at 20:00. Light arms only. Ask at the bar for Félix.>>

@JD from Twist
<<Job meet: 30 SEP 2072, 18:00. New Liskeard bar -- Randy Beaver -- weapons restrictions: sidearms only. Contact Félix. Three more potentials. Acknowledge.>>

@Old Wolf from The Frog
'Ey dere, Ol' man! 'Ow come you never answer da fone, eh? Got some work for you up by New Liskeard. Check out da Randy Beaver on Friday at 8 o'clock. Hask for Félix. Big man in dem parts, so be cool, eh. Nuttin' heavier dan pistol or knife in dat place.

@Longshot from Laurel
<<Hoy, sweetie. Got some good news for you! Guy by the name of Félix, a big shot in the New Liskeard area (smuggling, fixer, hands in everything) is looking for some talent to solve a problem up north. I recommended you. If you want a job, go to the Randy Beaver in New Liskeard at 20:00 tomorrow and ask for Félix at the bar. Go easy on the hardware.>>
Trigger
8:04 PM, Thursday 29th of September, 2072

It was just after twilight when Elyas unlocked the door of his ranch house, stomping mud off his boots as he walked into the kitchen and tossed three rabbits on the table, each completely intact without a drop of blood spilled or bone broken, but dead as they could be. Walking across to the stove, Elyas turned on the propane and started preheating it before turning back to his catch for the day. Reaching for his long knife, an old standard issue marine ka-bar, Elyas finally noticed the vibrating hunk of technology that he left on the counter before going tracking today. A light flickered on the commlink's screen, a blinking envelope which Elyas angrily tapped to play as he grabbed the first rabbit and started the relaxing process of skinning and gutting it.

Listening to The Frog's French accent, Elyas chuckled to himself, imaging the troll's large jowls moving as his voice rang out of the commlink's tiny speakers.

'e must be joking about dat one. Me, wit' a firea'm? Ze nerve.

Elyas laughs to himself a little more before tossing the first skinned and gutted rabbit to the side and picking up the next, finally deciding to himself what to send back to the big green lummox.

"'Ey, commlink, start reco'din' message for Ze Frog:"
Ol' man ma' ass. I could still beat yo' green ass any day o' ze week, ne. Best you rememba dat too. I will be dere, don't you worry. Danks fo' ze call, an' keep in touch.

Sending the message off to The Frog, Elyas sighs and laughs to himself, imaging the troll shaking even more when he gets the message in his box. Tossing the second rabbit onto the clean pile, Elyas picks up the third, wanting to finish the preparations for dinner so he could start his preparations for tomorrow.
Foxx
Thursday Evening, 29 Sept., Valerie place

Valerie stepped out of the shower back into the AR world and notice her commlink softly buzzing. She picks up her sunglasses and reviews the message from her fixer. She subscribes the 'link AR to the house AR and walks to the mirror to run a brush through her hair, whilst composing a reply.

<<I'll be picking up this job. Anything about this Felix or who they are representing I should know about?>>

Only fair to ask as the good Colonel may have some extra tid bit to toss her way about their J. Every little bit help when having an heart to heart about jobs and the money they elicit. While waiting for a response she'll lay out an outfit for the meet and greet. Nothing to expensive looking as she only wants to convey competency and not I'm going to a party. Yet she wasn't going to go in looking like a peasant either. That just offends all her sensibilities.

Her next wardrobe piece us the Colt L36 she tosses next to the outfit. She settles on the bed and checks the pistol out, disassembling it and wiping an oil cloth over it once more. Everything look good. She sets the outfit aside and lays back on the bed to wait for Col. Mustard response to her question. She ques up the entertainment center for something light to play and listens to classical music.

She also checks the listings of the Street Brawl teams for this year and how some of them are looking. Valerie was hoping for one to really break out this year; good chance to place a few bets there.
ravensoracle
Thursday Evening, 29 Sept, JD's Cabin

Ace and Jack were ripping apart the remains of the carcass from the deer JD had butchered yesterday, when the comm buzzed indicating a message. JD read the message and smiled to himself. Twist was always short, sweet and to the point. JD liked that, always straight to business. JD watched as Queen crept in around the two larger males and grabbed one of the tastier morsels for herself.

JD typed a return message using the keypad on the commlink.

"Message Acknowledged. I still have some funds from last job, so I am sending you a small shopping list. Let me know the arrangements for delivery.

JD closed the gate to the kennel and went back to his cabin, he'd have some work to so to get ready for the meeting tomorrow. He needed to get the place ready for him to be gone for several days. He spent the rest of the evening prepping the cabin then checking and loading his equipment in the truck.
Karoline
Thursday Evening, 19 September 2072, Longshot's cabin

Several slabs of meat hang in front of the fire, set far enough away to cook slowly, allowing it to make the long journey into becoming dried meat. Under where the meats hang are small dishes, each with a pool of blood in them. Longshot herself lies curled up on the deep and comfortable rug in front of the fire. She seemed to have been sleeping, but she opens her eyes quickly at the sound of her commlink informing her that she has a message.

She yawns and takes a minute or two to give several long stretches, just as a cat that she so resembles would. Finally she punches the keys on her commlink to review the message. She smiles at the prospect of something to do. She hadn't had work in a while, and was getting rather bored, and when bored she tended to dwell on the past.

"Garder le feu chaud pendant que j'y suis allé, et tourner la viande quand il sera prêt." she says into her commlink, knowing the command will be relayed to her CHN when it comes on. Out here in the middle of nowhere, power isn't easy to come by, so she usually leaves it off to save on trips to a nearby town to get fuel. She pulls up a map of the area on her commlink, picking out where she is going, and figuring out the best route there. It would take about three hours she reasoned, and so without much further ado, she returns to her nap. It was funny she thought, that she didn't really need sleep, and yet spent most of her time doing nothing else.
Karoline
Friday morning, 20 September 2072, Longshot's cabin

After a restful night with far more sleep than she needed, Longshot wakes up sometime around mid morning. After several minutes of stretching she gets up, adjusting the meat by the fire, examining them with a critical eye. She pulls up a weather report on her commlink, making sure there won't be any sort of storm today, though watching the skies gives her what is likely to be an almost equally accurate deduction.

Though still early, she decides to begin preparing for tonight. She retrieves her weapons, her rifle having already been close at hand, just in case anyone ever tried to get into her cabin, and lays them out on a table. She takes time to check that all the parts are properly lubricated as they should be for this cold environment. She takes some time as well to check that her knives are properly sharp and clean.

Skipping breakfast she goes strait to lunch, retrieving a small slab of meat from her meat locker like basement. She places it in a metal holding grill and throws it in the fire to cook, the smell slowly filling the cabin. When it is close to ready she mixes up some instant milk before pulling out the steak and enjoying her lunch.

As afternoon begins to get underway she packs her gear in her backpack, and then dresses as she always does when venturing from her home, so that every bit of her body is covered, from head to toe, not wanting to let anyone know what she really looks like, that always ends poorly....

Eventually she leaves her home, her rifle being concealed in the specially designed compartment in her bike so as to be close at hand but not obvious to others. With that she begins to make her way towards the meeting location. She'll be there several hours early, but that might give her time to scope out the place, or get fuel from somewhere nearby, it's always good to have extra.

Foxx
20 Sept 2072
Friday Afternoon 1940
New Liskeard - Randy Beaver.

Vixen spent most of the day getting weather reports and traffic for her trip down from Round Lake to New Liskeard. It wasn't the first time down there into the city, she even had a few acquaintances there. So this would be nothing new for her in meeting a Mr. J there in the city to conduct a little business. From what Col. Mustard already indicated it looks like she was going out in the great wilderness for a set of outdoor activities. Which suited Vixen just fine.

She dresses for the fall evening weather and leaves for New Liskeard. About forty minutes later she pulls into the parking lot of the Randy Beaver. Before getting out of her vehicle she discreetly checks her pistol and opens her PAN to active under the SIN Celion West. With everything set, Vixen emerges and enters the bar checking out the scene. When Vixen is comfortable she heads for the bar and orders synthahol. She'll nurse this and another, checking out the other customers and making small talk. Her goal is to wait till the last twenty minutes before the meet before asking about the man name Felix.

[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
Thursday Evening 29 SEP 2072

@JD from Twist
<Acknowledged. Working on it.>
pbangarth
Thursday Evening 29 SEP 2072

@Valerie from Col. Mustard
<Félix Monague. Longtime resident of the area. Farmer, trapper, unconfirmed smuggler. (Read, yeah, damn straight he does it, but nothing has been proven by the authorities.) Deep contacts in the community. Nearly everybody owes him a favor or money, or both. Loyalty high among the locals. No problem getting elected if he wanted to waste his time that way. Hires locally whenever he can. Rep is he has done some hairy things, and deals straight with his hires.>
pbangarth
Friday Evening 19:20 New Liskeard: The Randy Beaver

Vixen walks into the main bar and the smell of cigarettes and stale beer brings back memories. This could be Georgia except for the race of most of the customers. A smattering of men and a couple of women are dotted around the room, at tables, playing pool, at the bar itself. Vixen's entry draws some attention. One man seems very appreciative until his companion lays her hand on his arm and says something with a glare.

Another couple of men straighten up from their beers as she passes near. Oh yeah, 6 weeks in the bush, and she is the first woman to get within three meters of them. A twig falls from the beard of one of them.

"Hello, darling. What can I get for ya?" asks the bartender as she takes a stool. He brings her the order and jokes, "Watch out for Joe and Henry. They been away from ladies a while, and you draw better than a good steak right now."

The bartender serves a couple of other customers, and cleans some glasses. He seems to know most of what is going on in the room. He glances at the clock and at a door at the back of the room. Then his eyes seem to track something as it approaches Vixen. What is that look in his eyes?

"Hi there, gorgeous. Ain't seen you around here before. You new in town?" Vixen turns towards the voice. A young Algonkian, she guesses by the pouch hanging around his neck. Dark, flashing eyes; smooth, strong physique. He sits down beside her as if asked, and smiles a very delightful invitation to converse.
Karoline
Friday Evening 19:20 New Liskeard

Longshot had plenty of time to refill her ride as well as buy a couple cans of fuel to bring back to her cabin. She shopped around some of the local stores, not buying much, but drawing plenty of looks thanks to being so over dressed for the weather. For the last twenty minutes or so she's been staking out the bar, keeping well away from it, and simply watching the types that came and went.

It's still early for the meet, and bars tend to make her uncomfortable, so she decides to continue her stakeout of sorts, being careful not to look like she is actually overly interested in the bar. To help with the illusion and to give herself something extra to do, she pulls up a cheap AR game to play that isn't overly distracting. She'll give it another 30 minutes before she goes in herself.
ravensoracle
Friday Evening 1745, New Liskeard, Randy Beaver

JD let the dogs out of the cab of his truck, walked around to the back of the truck and lowered the tailgate.

"Up in the bed you three. And stay put."

He spent a couple of minutes checking the exterior bar out while he smoked a cigarette next to his truck. It doesn't take long the bar is just like any other in the area as far as he's concerned. Never really cared for them himself. He wasn't a drinker and didn't really go out of his way lookin' for a fight so what's the point.

JD ground the butt of the under boot heel and made his way into the bar. He only carried his knife on him but he wasn't expecting any trouble here that'd require any gun. The locals in these small towns didn't really care for out of towners that started throwin' lead. He still had his rifles in te truck if he really needed them. And nobody was gettin' close to the truck with dogs in the back.

He walked in and went straight to the bar. Once he got the bartenders attention, he said low enough so only the bartender could hear,

Lookin' for Felix, got some business with him."
Foxx
Friday Evening 19:20 New Liskeard: The Randy Beaver

Vixen gives the voyeurs a polite smile but dose not look them in the eye. She did not want to give the impression that she was being anything else other than polite. Shooting a few locales whose only crime was being away from civilization would be a hard hit on the resume.

"Hello, darling. What can I get for ya?" asks the bartender as she takes a stool. He brings her the order and jokes, "Watch out for Joe and Henry. They been away from ladies a while, and you draw better than a good steak right now."

"Don't worry. I don't think they want anything that bites back." She gives the two a wink and goes about taking care of her drink.

The bartender serves a couple of other customers, and cleans some glasses. He seems to know most of what is going on in the room. He glances at the clock and at a door at the back of the room. Then his eyes seem to track something as it approaches Vixen. What is that look in his eyes?

"Hi there, gorgeous. Ain't seen you around here before. You new in town?" Vixen turns towards the voice. A young Algonkian, she guesses by the pouch hanging around his neck. Dark, flashing eyes; smooth, strong physique. He sits down beside her as if asked, and smiles a very delightful invitation to converse.

Vixen had to give this man credit. He was a smooth operator, though she did not expect a pick-up artist be living in the great out doors. She wonders what the look was that the bartender was betraying before the young man came up to sit next to her.

"Moi? Why yes I am. I've been around these parts for a couple of weeks now."
Vixen speaks with her natural southern drawl. No need to convince him anymore that she's way and away from being a native.

"I'm Celion, and it appears you seem to be from around here."

While she converses with the young man she gives him the once other. After all he was quite the fit male in the room, also to see what else he could be carrying on his person that could be a personal threat to Vixens person.

[ Spoiler ]
pbangarth
Friday Evening 1745, New Liskeard, Randy Beaver

[OOC: Just to bring JD into the same time continuum and correct my error. blush.gif ]

The bartender smiled at JD. "I like a man who shows up early for work. I got a job for a short-order cook if things don't work out with Félix at 8 o'clock. Care for something to eat? You got time."
pbangarth
Friday Evening, 19:25

Longshot sees the typical small town goings on around the bar and up the street in both directions. A minor entertainment comes when two young men check out a truck near the bar, startle, and run away as three dogs in the back of the truck raise holy terror at their approach.
pbangarth
Friday Evening 19:30 inside the Randy Beaver

"Celion from the sunny south. No wonder it's been warmer around here the last few days. You must have brought the heat with you." The bartender rolls his eyes and shakes his head, wandering off to clean some more dishes. The corny lines would bring Vixen to do the same, but that smile buys a lot of forgiveness.

"Yeah, born and bred here. My dad there,"
he nods to the bartender, "owns this place. I work here, and do some hunting and fishing farther north. Sometimes I take a party of southerners on expeditions into the 'wild country'. My name is Marc."

Though he clearly looks the part of a hunting/fishing guide by his dress and his fitness, there is a smooth, easy manner about him that seems out of place in this rough establishment. One would have expected this guy to be in an Armanté, sipping a martini in an Atlanta club. What is he doing here?

As far as Vixen can tell, Marc is unarmed.
ravensoracle
Friday Evening 17:46 inside the Randy Beaver

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 5 2010, 12:59 PM) *
The bartender smiled at JD. "I like a man who shows up early for work. I got a job for a short-order cook if things don't work out with Félix at 8 o'clock. Care for something to eat? You got time."

"No thanks I prefer to work outdoors. I'll take a venison sandwich and real steak fries if you got some real food back there. I'm not a drinker so I'll just take water.

Taking a look around, JD motions with his head to a table against the wall out of the way.

I'll move over there. Stay out of your way.

Friday Evening 19:31 inside the Randy Beaver

JD sits back after his meal and watches mister thinks-he-smooth hit on lady at the bar. Something tellin' him she's not interested.
pbangarth
Friday Evening 19:31, New Liskeard, Randy Beaver

While Vixen is considering how to answer Marc, she catches a glimpse out of the corner of her eye of a man sitting by the back wall, watching her. Empty dishes on his table indicate a sizable meal, but no alcohol. Every other occupied table has alcohol of some sort.
Foxx
Friday Evening 1932, New Liskeard, Randy Beaver

She wonders about the other man at the table and his interests. Could be just a passing interest in her or the conversation she was having. Time will tell which is the case as it seem she was a rather hot commodity tonight. Oh, her elvish ego was stoked.

"Well Marc, it is a pleasure to meet you." She said, sipping her drink. "I've seen a lot of hunters in my time and you don't seem to fit the gruff and tough template I've seen in some."

Vixen smiles a little to herself as she tries to prod Marc ego to talk about himself.

[ Spoiler ]
Trigger
Friday Evening 1940, New Liskeard, The Randy Beaver

It may have taken him a couple hours to get there, but the Old Wolf was still here with time to spare before the meet. He is dressed in a pair of old, patched blue jeans, a long sleeved, used to be white, thermal shirt, an old pair of hiking boots, and a long, brown, tribal style long coat, reinforced for warmth with a couple patches of animal pelts rough sewn onto the outside. He appears unarmed with the exception of his head high wooden staff, decorated with small carvings, and a long, old military ka-bar knife at his belt. There is an intricate, seemingly iron, chain necklace around his neck, and he has a pair of old looking goggles sitting on his forehead, a wire trailing off the back of them down into his coat.

As he enters the bar he grumbles something under his breath about the drive and scrapes his feet on whatever mat the place has at the door. He crosses the length of the bar, not really visibly paying attention to anyone in the room, making a bit of noise as he uses his staff as a walking staff and it makes a nice thud with every step he takes. Settling into a seat at the bar, Old Wolf gestures for the barkeep,

"'Ey, get moi whateva yo' got on tap. An' alzo, do you happen to know if Felix iz here?"
pbangarth
Friday Evening 19:33 New Liskeard - Randy Beaver

Marc cocks his head as he looks at Vixen, and clearly he is sizing her up and deciding how to answer. His father, the bartender, calls over before he can reply, "Marc. It's time to get the back room ready."

Marc drops his head a bit, and replies to Vixen, "Ah, well, some hunters use brute force, others use cunning. Then there are those who get distracted by things back in the den. Excuse me, please. I hope we can talk later." He gets up and walks to the back of the barroom, near the fellow who was hungry but not thirsty, unlocks a door, and disappears through it.

19:40

A fur-coated older man enters the bar and inquires of the bartender about Félix. "Soon." the bartender replies. "You'll know."

19:45

Marc leaves the back room and goes down a corridor, carrying some papers under one arm.

19:48 Outside the Randy Beaver

A Rover 2072 roll up to the front of the bar. Three human men step out of the vehicle, first two in what Longshot recognizes as armor jackets, who look around. At least one clearly notices Longshot. Then one dressed in an exceptional leather longcoat emerges, and they enter the bar.

19:49 Randy Beaver

Three men enter the bar, first one in an expensive, long leather coat, then two who move and act as muscle for the first. The locals immediately notice, and there is a general welcoming, waving, and shaking of hands as they move through the bar to the back. Several times the name "Félix" is heard, directed towards the leader. He and one of the heavies enter the room and close the door. The other heavy stays by the door, watching the room.

The bartender catches Old Wolf's eye, and nods. Same for JD. He also checks out Vixen, though more in a questioning mode than an affirming demeanour.
Foxx
Friday Evening, New Liskeard - Randy Beaver

19:33

Vixen responds to his remarks with a coy smile and nod, "I hope so too, Marc. Take care..."

She goes back to her drink finishing it off before ordering a second, a ginger ale, and waiting for her meeting with Felix. Something about Marc strikes her fancy. Hopefully she'll get the oppritunity to learn more about him.

19:49

The rambunctious entrance of the man name Felix shifts her attention from her thoughts to the man entering the bar. Judging how the locals were reacting and greeting him that only could be the man she was here to meet. Taking a look to the other who eaten but never took a drink notice that he was still there. Vixen the bartender giving a questioning look about Felix. She simply inclines her head that she too was here to see Felix. She waits another five minutes before finishing off her last drink and slides the glass over to the tender when he's not busy.

She gets up and makes her way towards the door and the bodyguard tending it.

"Hello, Ah'm one of the party here ta see your boss."
pbangarth
19:50 Randy Beaver

The man at the door looks at Vixen as if he is seeing something else at the same time, not distracted but more like multitasking. He nods and bids her, "Go on in."
Foxx
Vixen nods her head and opens the door. Caususally looking around as she enters the room where her new employerer was meeting with and the rest of the team. No sign of the others though, not yet anyone. Probably good she was the first one in.

Nothing who was there, Felix and his bodyguard, Vixen goes into her business mode.

"Good evenin' sir. Ah' hope your da one ah'm meeting tonight." No names, not yet. Not till she knew for sure it was safe to do so. Always good to becareful when meeting new clients.
ravensoracle
After watching the woman from the bar enter the backroom JD smirks and thinks to himself.

Gets more interesting by the second.

He then gets up, pays his bill with a decent tip to the bartender and makes his way back. As he makes his way to the back room, he nods to the guard at the door.

Looks like it's time to go to work.
pbangarth
19:52 Randy Beaver

The doorman nods at JD and indicates with his thumb to pass through.
pbangarth
19:55 Randy Beaver

The guy at the door is looking at his watch a lot.
Karoline
19:56 Randy Beaver

Longshot decided to wait as long as she could before going into the bar, wanting to avoid the crowd and especially all the men that were likely to be inside. Finally she decided she couldn't wait any longer, and so made her way into the bar. She was fairly sure the person she was to be meeting was already there, the bodyguards being dead giveaways.

She enters the bar still dressed as though it is mid winter, not removing her face mask or goggles so as to keep her features completely obscured. She makes her way rather purposefully towards the barman in says in a quiet but not conspiratorial voice "I am 'ere to see Felix." in English, her accent a light mix of French and her native tongue.

She is already looking at the bodyguard she saw outside before the barman points in that direction. She nods her thanks and then approaches the barman. "I am 'ere to see your boss." she informs the man simply, keeping her voice neutral and passive.
pbangarth
19:56 Randy Beaver

The man at the door looks Longshot up and down, slowly as if scanning her, waits a moment, and indicates with a thumb to go in.
Karoline
19:58 Randy Beaver Back Room

Longshot once again nods her thanks, seemingly not wanting to speak any more than necessary. Without further ado she passes through the door. She isn't late, but she is certainly cutting it a bit fine.

She takes her time to consider the others that have been gathered, being very discreet about it behind her tinted and polarized goggles.
pbangarth
19:58 Randy Beaver

The bartender and the man at the back room door both look pointedly at Old Wolf. The bartender says, "The doctor will see you now."
pbangarth
20:00 Randy Beaver - back room

You enter the back room individually. Arrayed around the room are a couple of comfortable couches and some matching lounge chairs, and accompanying end tables. beside the door is a table with refreshments: fruit, slices of meat and cheese, bread and a selection of non-alcoholic beverages. The well-dressed man sits in a lounge chair in the back corner, drink in hand. His second assistant stands beside him, at ease but very alert. The seated man rises and addresses each entrant with a shake of hands. He knows your street names. "Welcome. I am Félix Monague. Please, make yourselves comfortable and help yourselves to some refreshments." He must feel very secure here to do away with the 'Mr. Johnson' subterfuge.

The food and drink are excellent... fresh and tasty. This could be good if he pays as well as he feeds you.

A cursory study of the room indicates there is aural masking and good soundproofing. Neutral tones form the basis of the decoration, and typical backwoods scenes are arranged on the walls. No other exit but the door you entered is visible.

[OOC: all PCs make a visual perception test.]
ravensoracle
20:01 Randy Beaver - Back Room
Comm Mode- Hidden

JD takes Felix's hand shaking no more firmly than Felix does in return.

"Damn nice to meet you." He then moves out of the way to allow the Felix to address the others. When he hears Felix refer to Longshot he speaks up.

"Figured it was you. Only person I know to stay bundled up like that no matter how nice the weather." Turning to Felix, "With two outdoorsmen, I'm guessin' you're wanting us back country somewhere. So are we huntin' or moving goods?"

{OOC - I'm playing JD a bit rough around the edges. He is defaulting to 2 dice for Social Skills.

Intuition 5 + Perception 3 = 8d6 (8d6.hits(5)=2)}
Karoline
"And if you 'are lucky, you will never find out why." she replies to JD with reasonable confidence in her statement.

She doesn't make any pretense of shaking Felix's hand any longer than absolutely required, though not being so rude as to refuse the shake altogether. Her head does turn towards the food for a few moments, but looks away before long. Why are there always others when good food is around?

She doesn't move to any of the comfortable chairs or couches, instead preferring to standing near one of the corners, leaning against it, allowing her to keep her eyes on everyone one else, though where her eyes are actually looking is quite hidden by the tinted goggles.

Int 5 + Per 4 + VE 3 + LNA 3 + HE 1 = 16 (16d6.hits(5)=3)
Foxx
Vixen checks out the scene as she enters the room. She was correct to presume that she was not a lone in the bar when three others enter in with her. The girl covered up from head to toe might be a concern. She wasn't too keen on folks that things to hide from the rest of the world. When no-one starts shooting she goes over to Felix when its her turn to shake hands, "A pleasure, Mr. Monague."

While the others do the meet and greet she goes to get herself a drink, bypassing the presented food, and goes to take a seat on one of the couches.

"Thank you, sir, for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk to us personally." She figures she would start chatting up the client while the others settle in.

Intuition 4 + Perception 3 (7d6.hits(5)=1) (ooc: think I glitch on that roll)
pbangarth
Vixen becomes fixated on a particularly juicy piece of fruit and stares at it for a while, before choosing it and relishing the flavour. Then she settles in to chat with Félix. The other two notice small vents in the walls, which likely are for introducing gas into the room. This rustic tavern seems to have interesting trouble response systems.

Your host continues, leaning forward as he speaks, "Please, call me Félix. I believe in professionalism but I don't like formalities.

"You are right, JD, there could be some outdoors work involved. There's a mine up north, by James Bay, that is having some trouble. Middle level managers are disappearing, maybe from the mine, maybe from the mine offices in the town upriver, maybe in between. The corporate security has had no luck, and the community police have done no better. An acquaintance of mine in the company wants the problem to be solved before the corporation calls in some heavies or just leaves. The band police have basically washed their hands of the affair, saying it is a corporate problem.

"I don't know what is causing the disappearances, and would like your team to find out the cause and deal with it. There is 5000 nuyen in it for each of you, 1000 up front, 4000 on successful completion. There could be a bonus if any of the missing executives are returned alive. My acquaintance, your contact in the company if you take the job, was not clear on that point. Something about budget constraints. You know the type. He said he would know more once the team arrived."

He takes a sip of his drink, and sits back.
Karoline
Longshot frowns behind her mask "I am no as good in mines." she states simply.

After a moment of thought she asks "They do no know where the managers go missing? Not even if they 'are at office or mine? We will need to find where they go missing and why?" Some nice basic points of clarification on what is actually expected.

"5K is no much if we do no know what threat is. Could be group of Yeti or Wen-de-go. Could be rival company also too. Bonus do us no good if they are eaten."

Longshot goes quiet while these concerns are addressed, and so others may raise their own.
ravensoracle
20:03 Randy Beaver- Back Room
Comm Mode- Hidden

JD's been through negotiations before and he really hated them but for 5K it had bettter be an easy job.

Maybe we can add to the offer that we can renegotiate dependin' on what we find. There are some things that are a little tougher than a 5000 nuyen.gif payday. If it's something simple than I'll be happy with the 5K, If it's something that's gonna put all of us in the ground without breakin' a sweat then I ain't riskin' my neck for that little. I ain't spendin' all month lookin' for it either, I can make better money with a legit hunting party."
Trigger
20:03 Randy Beaver - Back Room

Old Wolf had sat quietly through the meeting so far, sipping his beer and listening to the others talk, taking it all in. He wasn't very comfortable in situations like this, being around other people. He might have been, once, but he had been living out in that old hut of his for so long now that just being around a small group of people got his hackles rising.

"As ze oders 'ave said, an unknown threat iz da threat that ya should get paid mo'e fo'."

Perception 1 + Intuition 5 + Audio Enhance 3 (9d6.hits(5)=1)
pbangarth
20:03 Randy Beaver - Back Room

Félix smiles. "Excellent. People who know their own value. Alright, then. The 5000 is for the first week. If it goes longer, 500 more per day, each, up to a second week. After that we need to talk whether the job is worth continuing. If unusual hostiles like the kind JD decribes appear, then there will be another 5000 each as extreme danger pay.

"If this is acceptable, then I can give you more details and possible leads. How does that sound?"
Foxx
Vixen listens to the others talk about the job, sipping the diet soda she retrieved from the offered assortment of articles. She cues up her commlink, and brings up a window access Ya-google map. Harmless enough matrix applicaition for people wanting a two year old look of the world. The area around James Bay was what she thought it would be for terrian up north.

"Well not knowing where the mine is, at the moment. The area we're looking at working is extremely rugged terrian; a hike for myself and present company but deadly for anyone else. I'm pretty the area we'll be operating in will be more of the same. And we're investigating missing people, explaing why they are missing.

"Barring any unmention factors prior to our commitment, it would appear someone or something is singling them out. Too many reasons why they would do that other then corperate infighting or another corp trying to muscle in. Do we know what they are mining for?"

Vixen sips her drink before going on.

"JD could be correct that we're dealing with wild creatures. Either way, we're going to be dealing with wild creatures the further into the wilds we go. There isn't much metahuman habitation from what I can tell around James Bay. A lot of things can set up homes there in fobodeing terrians.

"All complications that we'll be facing going in. I guess the bonus for bringing anyone back a live is to say they are helping we rescue them. More complications."

Vixen thinks for a moment, "Must be quite a lot of money on the line for this mine, I suspect. Dealing with this problem is going to cut into our meager resources and its hunting season, this job is going to cut into that. Lots of people to lead around blowing deer with full automatic weapons, if you take my point.

"I think the 5k is a good pay up front to take the job, but the per day fee should cover the whole two weeks at say..." Vixen bounces her head a little from side to side, thinking up of a 'reasonable' sum, "Seven hundread a day. Like you said, we have very talented people here. Working extradianry circumstances with someone wanting particular results in mind."

Negotiations: 13d6.hits(5)=3
pbangarth
20:10 Randy Beaver - back room

Félix considers Vixen's points for a moment. He sips his drink, seemingly absent-minded, or distracted. Then he replies, mostly to Vixen directly. "The mine has been in operation for over a hundred and fifty years. It had more or less died out but new technology commonly available has given it some more life. In all that time, there has been no trouble, either sabotage, espionage or labour. The local corporate security in the area reflects the perceived low need for it. The company security section has determined to their satisfaction that no external corporate threat exists. The main regional population centre is about 100 km away, on the shore of James Bay, but scattered settlements of a few families exist all along the river that connects the main town to the mine site.

"The local community constabulary finds no evidence or even leads to suggest that anyone in the community is behind the disappearances. There have been three managers gone missing, from different departments. My contact there, and the one who is financing this mission, is himself a middle manager, and considers himself a potential target. While the mine security has allocated him protection, he doesn't appear to have full confidence in his guards, and wishes to pursue his own investigation, at his own expense. Why he doesn't just leave, I don't know.

"Since investigations have ruled out corporate or labour troubles, and assuming they are not wrong, I think there may be some other source of trouble, which may involve a natural or paranatural problem that has moved in. Though why it seems to focus on managers, I don't know. In any case, I have called you together, hoping your skills will be able to deal with such a problem if it exists.

"Vixen, you are a skilled negotiator, zeroing in on some key points. I can offer the following, and no more. Per person, 3000 nuyen up front, then 500 nuyen per day for up to 2 weeks, after which we talk to determine any further expenses. 5000 nuyen extra if serious hostilities happen. If it turns out to be a disillusioned prospector, then no extra. A dragon, I think we can find the extra funds."
He smiles engagingly at that comment. "For the group of you, air transport to and from the region, and river transport should you need it. Other gear and supplies are your responsibility.

"That's the best I can do."
ravensoracle
20:11 Randy Beaver - Back Room

JD leans forward, intent on the converstion. He takes a drink of the water he poured as he thinks about the deal.

"I think I can live with those terms. Only question I really have before gettin' inta more of the details is the air transportation. I mean if we're huntin' a critter, having my dogs along will be awful handy. Maybe gettin' some Quads or Falcon's up there wouldn't be a bad idea either. How does the ore get out of there? By road or using the bay?

Trigger
Old Wolf leans back in his chair, letting out a light chuckle as he runs a gnarled hand through his gray hair.

"Soonds al'ight by moi. I can carry all I need on mah back, and if you iz sooplyin' da transportation then dat iz all that I am goin' ta need."
Foxx
Vixen nods her head to accept the terms. Little less than what she was aiming for but more than what was offered in the beginning. Not a bad start to working in the great north. Transportation up to the site was good too. Now all that is left is for the team to hit the ground, pull together, and pull off a successful run. Two already knew each other, that was good. The third seem gruff to Vixen, but she was use to that from her military days. Over all, everything was covered and nothing came to mind for asking.

"I accept the terms. We'll just need the assorted information about the town, the names of persons disappearing, logistical data; where everything is located and all that. Other then that, I'll be ready to go in a few hours."
Karoline
Longshot likewise agrees with the terms "Better than nothing." The terms weren't improved all that much, but it was better than nothing. "My bike should be no trouble to transport? Or I need to repack?"

The meeting seemingly about wrapped up, she pushes herself from the wall to stand up properly before walking slowly towards the table with the food on it, intending to take a few pieces of meat for later.
pbangarth
20:20 Randy Beaver - back room

Félix claps his hands and rubs them together. "Excellent. The transportation will leave from the air dock on the lake at 09:00 tomorrow. It's a Toyota TX13 and will be carrying a number of civilian passengers besides yourselves. You should be able to load a quad-worth of cargo each, plus personal baggage. Dogs should be caged unless they can fly without troubling the other passengers. The flight will go to the town first, which will take about an hour, and then to the mine, which will be another 15 minutes or so, so you can choose where you want to offload. Pilot's handle is Chase. He will be notified you are working for me, and he and the plane will be available to you for the duration. He is also a good water pilot and a small craft will be yours to use there.

"Here is a Matrix node,"
he makes an address available on his PAN. "In an hour all the data I have will be there, including the particulars on the contact in the company who will want to see you as soon as is convenient for you, and names of local authorities. Also, there will be contact information for me and the up front payment. Good hunting."

If no questions follow, he will let himself out, followed by his men.
Foxx
Vixen quick reviews the meeting in her minds eye. Drawing up a blank on questions she shakes her head when entreated to ask further questions. Once the rest are done with their Q&A, she looks to them taking in their respect physical characteristics.

"Well, now that we've all agreed to work on this assignment I guess we should get to know each other a little better."

She gets up from her seat on the couch and over tot he table to fix herself another diet drink.

"My street name is Vixen, and I like to specilize in negotiations, among other things. I'm a real people person. I've also served in the military and if your worried about how dainty I will be about roughting; don't. I'm quite use to eating dirt, mud, and other assorted materials in the great wilds."

She dosen't elelaberate on which military she was in. That on a need to know basis and really, no one else needed to know.
ravensoracle
20:22 Randy Beaver- Back Room

"My dogs are well trained, no worries there."

Once Felix leaves He turns to the rest after Vixen's intro.

"Names JD. I'm a hunter and a guide. If you don't know how to handle yourself out there, I'll do my best to help you out. And don't worry 'bout the dogs, they may act all tough but they're well trained and only go after what I tell'em to. Those three are some of the best trackers in the area too"
Karoline
Longshot hovers near the food, not wanting to take any until she is about to leave, as she won't be able to eat while standing here talking.

I am Longshot. I am good with the rifle, recon, ambush, track, survive. I will do more good outside mine than inside, most good at most long range. Be sure to keep dogs quiet JD, they 'are good at being loud. They scared a man outside before." Having berated JD some, she turns her attention more to Vixen "Good to know you will be okay roughing, I dislike 'aving to.... what is word...dorloter?" She shrugs and continues. "Person who does no know 'ow to keep warm in cold, or cry when food is small."

She shakes her head and gives a small sigh before speaking again "Does something else need to be talk about, or do we wait for tomorrow?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012