Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Server Outage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Redjack
Ok. This last one really miffed me. I'm looking at some internal and external monitoring.
Warlordtheft
alien.gif or ninja.gif or beret.gif ?

Or was it a drop bear hiding in a server farm with a box of nerps?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 29 2010, 02:53 AM) *
Ok. This last one really miffed me. I'm looking at some internal and external monitoring.

Poor IT-Guy ^^
DireRadiant
Just post your phone number, everyone on DS will call you when it goes down. We got nothing else to do. smile.gif
Redjack
202-456-1111
DireRadiant
Amusing. smile.gif

But I think it might be that important when DS goes down.
Redjack
I guess its not really a national emergency when DS goes down.. I'll look for a little more low-key number.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 29 2010, 04:31 PM) *
I guess its not really a national emergency when DS goes down..

speak for yourself <.<
kanislatrans
what do you mean its not an national emergency...with no DSF,I ended up listening to My Chemical Romance and writing really bad poetry...it took an hour of Dethklok and Danzig to get the angst out of my ears.(grin)
Redjack
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Jan 29 2010, 07:32 PM) *
what do you mean its not an national emergency..
I really can't elaborate without breaking the TOS and having to suspend myself... and then where would we be if there was another outage? biggrin.gif
Freejack
My own server stays up pretty reliably, likely because I don't have a boatload of folks hanging out smile.gif

If you want, I can set up a monitor/paging script to send you an alert if the server bails. Heck, if you have snmp and don't mind me monitoring the site, I can whip up some performance charts too.

I've been doing a bunch of work on the scripts at work and haven't migrated them to my server, but the current charts are:

http://www.hobgoblinconsulting.com/remote/stats.html

I run my own mail server so can craft up appropriate alerts if you like.

Carl
Redjack
Until I isolate what is messing with the system reliability, I am bouncing the database and web server nightly hence forth.

-RJ
Freejack
I had a hardware issue on my server which killed the box pretty often. Eventually the whole site was moved to another server. No problems since then.

Carl
Redjack
This was another crash outside my sphere of control. When the server came back up, there were corrupt tables in the database that had to be resolved.

*slips off stage left*
Stahlseele
Ah well, at least you are getting them back up again and again and fixing stuff like the tables.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jan 29 2010, 03:31 PM) *
I guess its not really a national emergency when DS goes down.. I'll look for a little more low-key number.

1-800-688-6115? wink.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Feb 16 2010, 03:12 AM) *
1-800-688-6115? wink.gif

Yes Sir, our server is down so we can no longer discuss about about B&E, industrial espionage, muder, illegal firearms modifications and sedition from the United States...hey, what's that black van doing in my driveway?
Warlordtheft
Yeah we need a hot line for when the server goes down. Got to get our money's worth...oh yeah it is free. grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
For US it is.
NOT for the Guys hosting Dumpshock.
tete
QUOTE (Freejack @ Jan 30 2010, 11:51 PM) *
My own server stays up pretty reliably, likely because I don't have a boatload of folks hanging out smile.gif

If you want, I can set up a monitor/paging script to send you an alert if the server bails. Heck, if you have snmp and don't mind me monitoring the site, I can whip up some performance charts too.

I've been doing a bunch of work on the scripts at work and haven't migrated them to my server, but the current charts are:

http://www.hobgoblinconsulting.com/remote/stats.html

I run my own mail server so can craft up appropriate alerts if you like.

Carl

I like you scripts grinbig.gif I used to do something similar but it was saved to a csv file so I could dump it into excel for the pretty report every week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012