Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free Spirits and Mundanes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garou
I was reading Street Magic, and i caught myself wondering: Can mundanes have pacts (non binding of course) with Free Spirits?

It seems so in "Spirit Pact" Quality, but many free spirits can Drain Karma from targets or such, or so i understood. I was wondering, can't a mundade be found by a free spirit and be offered a pact, for example, to be a vessel of the spirit's Hidden Life? Nothing special happens to the spirit if the vessel dies, but it's a good defense as it makes it harder to be banished or hurt. So, would this work? if so, How?
BRodda
QUOTE (Garou @ Feb 2 2010, 01:08 PM) *
I was reading Street Magic, and i caught myself wondering: Can mundanes have pacts (non binding of course) with Free Spirits?

It seems so in "Spirit Pact" Quality, but many free spirits can Drain Karma from targets or such, or so i understood. I was wondering, can't a mundade be found by a free spirit and be offered a pact, for example, to be a vessel of the spirit's Hidden Life? Nothing special happens to the spirit if the vessel dies, but it's a good defense as it makes it harder to be banished or hurt. So, would this work? if so, How?

Yes a Free Spirit can do a pact with a mundane.
Pg 108 from Street Magic
Free spirits with the Spirit Pact power can enter into pacts with voluntary sapient creatures, usually magicians, though each individual spirit can usually only offer one or two different varieties of pact.

Usually, but not always. They just have to be sapient. So Nagas and pixies can do it too.

And yes hidden life will work with a mundane and if the the vessel is killed nothing bad happens to the spirit.
Pg 110 Street Magic
If the hidden life holder is destroyed, the life force returns to the spirit, and the spirit is treated normally.

Ascalaphus
In fact, mundanes probably have more karma to spare than a typical mage.
Garou
Nice to know. So, can a mundane seek a pact? Is it possible to "find" a free spirit with such power through legwork?
darthmord
QUOTE (Garou @ Feb 2 2010, 04:26 PM) *
Nice to know. So, can a mundane seek a pact? Is it possible to "find" a free spirit with such power through legwork?

With the right legwork, you can discover the free spirit's true name and summon it. Might make the spirit a tad upset though. They don't like people knowing their true names.
Jaid
actually, it is technically impossible for a mundane to enter into a spirit pact. this is because spirit pacts result in the spirit pact quality, which is only available to awakened individuals (who, by the way, don't have to be magicians; a naga or a vampire are awakened, and so is an adept)

that said, that seems like a pretty lousy rule to allow to interfere with your fun. if it would be more fun to allow mundanes to make spirit pacts (and imo, it is), then i recommend you tell that rule to slot off.
BRodda
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 4 2010, 12:26 AM) *
actually, it is technically impossible for a mundane to enter into a spirit pact. this is because spirit pacts result in the spirit pact quality, which is only available to awakened individuals (who, by the way, don't have to be magicians; a naga or a vampire are awakened, and so is an adept)

I would say that the rule just means that Spirit Pacts are not allowed at Character creation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012