Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR2]Whole new meaning to "Hostile Takeover"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DragonDecker
A friend of mine mentioned a CSI: NY episode a couple weeks ago, and with the birthday of one of the characters coming up, I figured it was time to revive our old campaign for a one-shot.

So the episode in question was the one that dealt with an office where the CEO had trained all of his employees as "ninja's" so that they would have more focus, and thus be better at their jobs. This idea combined with the notion of the altered meaning of "hostile takeover" was just too good to miss.

Here is the basic story of what I want the run to be. A multi-national corporation (as opposed to a mega-corp) has trained all of it's upper-level employee's (think Chief Officers, VPs, etc.) as ninja's to teach them to focus their minds. This has made them nearly unbeatable in the market. The only thing keeping them from mega-corp status is that they are a relative new comer to the field.

They are in the middle of a hostile takeover with another multi-national corporation. The second corporation knows they don't stand a chance on an even playing field. As long as the first corporation maintains their focus, they will succeed. But there is a timelimit on when the paperwork needs to be in (or when the second corporation will be able to fight back, whichever, the point is a timelimit). All that the second corporation needs is for the first to be distracted for a while.

This is where the runners come in. They have been told they need to retrieve some data, or a prototype, but the reality is they are there to disrupt operations at the facility long enough that the time limit is allowed to elapse.

The big question here is what do I need to prepare to run this scenario? I figure I should have a "ninja" template worked up so that I know the rough stats the characters will be up against. I should also have the security system worked out, as well as the layout of the building. I'd think I should also have a basic idea of how the two companies tie into the local environment (and just for good measure should probably have the same information worked up for the hiring company in case the players decide to go after them). What else should I have figured out before I go in?

I'll be using SR 2.5 (our groups name for the 2/3 version of the game we play). I'll also be making a thread for the specifics (like verifying my templates and schematics), right now I'm just looking to get a general list of what I need prepared.
Synner667
QUOTE (DragonDecker @ Feb 8 2010, 05:46 AM) *
So the episode in question was the one that dealt with an office where the CEO had trained all of his employees as "ninja's" so that they would have more focus, and thus be better at their jobs. This idea combined with the notion of the altered meaning of "hostile takeover" was just too good to miss.

Here is the basic story of what I want the run to be. A multi-national corporation (as opposed to a mega-corp) has trained all of it's upper-level employee's (think Chief Officers, VPs, etc.) as ninja's to teach them to focus their minds. This has made them nearly unbeatable in the market. The only thing keeping them from mega-corp status is that they are a relative new comer to the field.

A multi-million dollar company has sent all it's decision makers away for several years to learn about stealth, psychology, athletics, chemistry, etc ??

Or do you mean they went away for a few weeks and learnt ju-jitsu, in the belief that makes you a "ninja" ??
Artemis
i remember that episode, it wasnt just the senior staff that had training the pretty much encouraged it amongst all the staff and the top level guys you were talking about had had surgery to make them even harder. One guy had metal bracing added to his hands and another had the tendons from a baboon or something equally ridiculous.

The story seemed to be that the top level guys were selected as much for their ability to do their jobs as well as skill at various ,martial arts, and were expected to train several hours everyday. So It would stand to reason that anybody in the company who had any ambition at all would be availing themselves of the verrry tasty training facilities they had on site. And for the extra nasty gamewise that company esp those Execs at the top would probably have a higher than usual ratio of adepts, if they are actively recruiting the right people.
DragonDecker
Synner667: I'm definitely thinking more along the lines of them having ongoing on site training for those who are interested (and like in the episode, those who don't take advantage are more likely to be overlooked come promotion time). It wouldn't be just a few weeks of training, but rather would go alongside their daily work.

I like the idea of there being a higher than normal level of adepts in the upper management, and could even see some level of cyber augmentation being provided by the company for those who are interested.
Draco18s
QUOTE (DragonDecker @ Feb 9 2010, 12:36 AM) *
I like the idea of there being a higher than normal level of adepts in the upper management, and could even see some level of cyber augmentation being provided by the company for those who are interested.

Don't ask me why, but that reminded me of the Mighty Ducks cartoon from the 90's and the one character (who wikipedia tells me was Check "Grin" Hardwing) who would routinely punch through brick walls with the phrase "Pain is only an illusion" lose the tough guy look, shake his hand, "An illusion that really really hurts."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012