Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Best Build - Summoner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (dirkformica @ Feb 18 2010, 01:38 AM) *
Quickie Pixie Summoner
Attributes:
Bod 1, Agil 3, Rea 4, Str 1, Cha 7, Int 4, Log 3, Will 7, Ess 6, Init 8, Pass 1, Edge 4, Magic 6
Skills:
Assensing 2, Counterspelling 3, Dodge 1 (Ranged), Infiltration 1 (Urban,) Perception 1 (Hearing,) Spellcasting 4, Summoning 6 (Man,) Binding 4 (Man.)
Positive Qualities:
Magician, Mentor Spirit (Dog or something with Spirits of Man,) Restricted Gear (Power Focus.)
Negative Qualities:
Addiction (Mild,) Allergy (Uncommon, Moderate,) Weak Immune System, Sensitive System.
Gear:
Power Focus Rating 4, Sustaining Focus Rating 3. Binding materials for force 9 spirit, 50thousandish in other gear.

Summoning Spirit of Man:
6skill+6magic+4power+2spec+2mentor = 20 dice (average 6 hits, 10 after spending edge for rerolls)

Binding SoM:
4skill+6magic+4power+2spec+2mentor = 18 dice (average 6 hits, 10 after spending edge for rerolls)

Drain:
Base = 7cha+7will = 14 (average 4 hits, 6 with rerolls.)
After you summon and bind a force 7+ spirit of man that casts Improve Attribute (Cha and Will) = 7cha+4to6+7will+4to6 = 22-24 (24 is max racial stats which gives 8 average hits, 13 with rerolls.)

When Summoning and Binding always cast Shapechange to gain +6 to body, sustain with focus. First summon will cast and sustain Improved drain attributes to aid in surviving the Binding test. Spend edge at all four steps if necessary (1 summon, 2 drain, 3 bind, 4 drain.) You only need 1 net hit on the Binding test, so you really only need to make sure you get good net hits on the Summoning test so take your time to get a good one. Possession tradition is helpful here since you can have the summoned spirit possess you for an added Body boost.

When looking at max force ratings, if you are doing this in downtime, you’ll generally be looking for scenarios where you can stage down the damage to 1 less than your physical condition monitor. It won’t matter if you take a lot of damage since you’re just looking at either success or death. So with the Shapechanged Pixie, max damage after all is said and done needs to be less than 11 since it’ll have 12 physical in whatever form it takes. If you play the averages then you can stage down 13 damage. So generally 12 hits from the spirit and you can live. Again, playing averages that means summoning a force 36 spirit, or binding a force 18. Just remember neither side will always be hitting those averages so you can still reduce yourself to a tiny, cute smear on the wall. And of course you can't summon anything more than double your magic.

Except the Pixie cannot shapechange to obtain a body of +6... BY Raw, your Pixie example will only ever manage to go to a Body of 3 (+/- 2 from base stat)... Kind of puts a kink in that plan of yours...

Keep the Faith
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (W@geMage @ Feb 18 2010, 05:27 AM) *
Achieving and successfully achieving are the same thing. It's a tautology.
If you achieve something, it was successful.

If you need 5 hits to achieve an action you don't have any hope to succeed unless you have at least 5 dice.

Rules as Written, with a dice pool of 0, you are still capable of achieving a shot out to your maximum weapon range. You cannot successfully hit your target, but you are capable of achieving a shot at that distance.

You are also claiming that someone with a Gymnastics dice pool of 0 is incapable of lifting both feet off the ground simultaneously?

Finally, even if the GM goes with your rather flawed interpretation, it is entirely acceptable to use Edge prior to the test, giving an unlimited Hits possibility, & thus Burning Edge is always viable. Also note that Burning Edge reduces your Edge attribute - it does not affect your current Edge pool, unless the attribute is reduced below said current pool.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 18 2010, 03:24 PM) *
Except the Pixie cannot shapechange to obtain a body of +6... BY Raw, your Pixie example will only ever manage to go to a Body of 3 (+/- 2 from base stat)... Kind of puts a kink in that plan of yours...

Keep the Faith

Creature with a base Body of 3, +1 to all Physical attributes per Hit on the spellcasting test.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Feb 18 2010, 10:23 AM) *
Even if you say that, on an absurdly awesome roll by the force 18 spirit like 36 successes and it is a great form so you are soaking over 100 boxes. Is that impossible?? Nope if I were to use edge I could theoretically get over 100 exploding 6's. So when I burn edge isn't it withing the realm of possible?

Except you would be pummeled with the Nerf Bat continuously until unconsciousness if you tried that at our table...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 18 2010, 03:27 PM) *
Creature with a base Body of 3, +1 to all Physical attributes per Hit on the spellcasting test.

Sure... I will buy that I guess... but then I would say that you were not able to cast spells as a Creature (unless you chose a Metahuman as your Creature)... This seems like a fine bit of splitting hairs in my opinion...

Just sayin'

Keep the Faith
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 18 2010, 03:28 PM) *
Except you would be pummeled with the Nerf Bat continuously until unconsciousness if you tried that at our table...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith

Doesn't matter. Rules as Written it is entirely possible.

And just because I could, at your table, I would use 1 or 2 loaded dice just to spite you.
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 18 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Sure... I will buy that I guess... but then I would say that you were not able to cast spells as a Creature (unless you chose a Metahuman as your Creature)... This seems like a fine bit of splitting hairs in my opinion...

Just sayin'

Keep the Faith
QUOTE (Shadowrun 4 Anniversary p.211)
Shapechange transforms a voluntary subject into a normal (non-paranormal)
critter, though the subject retains human consciousness. The
subject can only assume the form of a critter whose base Body rating
is 2 points greater or less than her own.
Consult the Critters section,
p. 292, for the subject’s Physical attributes while in critter form. Add 1
to the critter’s Base attribute Ratings for every hit the caster generates.

Her Mental attributes remain unchanged.

There are no physical requirements for spellcasting whatsoever. So shut the fuck up.
Adarael
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Feb 18 2010, 09:23 AM) *
Even if you say that, on an absurdly awesome roll by the force 18 spirit like 36 successes and it is a great form so you are soaking over 100 boxes. Is that impossible?? Nope if I were to use edge I could theoretically get over 100 exploding 6's. So when I burn edge isn't it withing the realm of possible?

My general rule of thumb is that once the general chance of success drops below a certain point, you can't burn edge. Given that the probability of a given player rolling 100 successes on 18-24 dice based on exploding 6s alone is slightly less than the roll I would let them make to reach into their pocket and magically produce orichalcum, no, they don't get to burn edge.

Because as soon as I start ruling that's they can burn edge for something that insane, they'll start burning edge of Data Search rolls to find things that you just can't find, because they could THEORETICALLY get enough successes. It opens you up to the territory of "I could theoretically roll enough to do anything if I spent edge and got enough 6s." It's not impossible to sneak past that guard by climing onto his head and singing The Star Spangled Banner at the top of your lungs, it's just really UNLIKELY you'll do so. But hey, if you burn edge, you can do it!

No, some things defy possibility despite theoretically achieving enough successes with a burned point of edge. Like climbing a man and shouting in his ear and having him not notice, or building a car in three seconds, or soaking the drain from a Force 18 great form spirit if your drain pool is like... 6. Or even if it's 18. If I was feeling generous, I might let them roll, and if they managed to soak half the drain then they could burn edge. And a force 18 spirit is probably going to net itself some 18 hits or so, resulting in 54 drain.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 18 2010, 03:35 PM) *

And just because I could, at your table, I would use 1 or 2 loaded dice just to spite you.

You would not be at my table very long then...

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 18 2010, 03:35 PM) *
My general rule of thumb is that once the general chance of success drops below a certain point, you can't roll dice. Given that the probability of a given player rolling 100 successes on 18-24 dice based on exploding 6s alone is slightly less than the roll I would let them make to reach into their pocket and magically produce orichalcum, no, they don't get to burn edge.
Because as soon as I start ruling that's they can burn edge for something that insane, they'll start burning edge of Data Search rolls to find things that you just can't find, because they could THEORETICALLY get enough successes. And I hate that shit.

This... Exactly...

Keep the Faith
Hagga
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 16 2010, 09:30 PM) *
But your projection will be limited to a number of hours equal to your Magic rating.

Could just have someone dose you with Shade every two-six hours, dependant on Essence.
Muspellsheimr
Because as soon as I start ruling that's they can burn edge for something that insane, they'll start burning edge of Data Search rolls to find things that you just can't find, because they could THEORETICALLY get enough successes. It opens you up to the territory of "I could theoretically roll enough to do anything if I spent edge and got enough 6s." It's not impossible to sneak past that guard by climing onto his head and singing The Star Spangled Banner at the top of your lungs, it's just really UNLIKELY you'll do so. But hey, if you burn edge, you can do it!

Very smart of you to give examples that are clearly defined as impossible in the rules, & thus are never allowed for Burning edge anyways.
Adarael
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 18 2010, 02:45 PM) *
Very smart of you to give examples that are clearly defined as impossible in the rules, & thus are never allowed for Burning edge anyways.

Why? Building a car is an extended test, with the optional rule of reducing the time taken with extra successes. Stealth while climbing a guy is just an opposed test.

The burn-an-edge-to-succeed rule is absolutely dependant on GM adjudication.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 18 2010, 03:45 PM) *

My impression was that he was setting a line that the players could not go beyond in the face of what is Possible and what is not... when the thresholds get so rediculous as compared to your dice pool, a good GM SHOULD say NO... that way no more time is wasted on an action that is, for all intents and purposes, impossible... Sure you could argue that it is still POSSIBLE, but I am going to call BS at that point and just not let you burn that Edge...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith
DireRadiant
Chill...
Adarael
Well, I'm perfectly calm. I just wanted to point out once again that Shadowrun isn't D&D 4th, and requires a modicum of GM adjudication for certain rules lest everything descend into madness.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
As am I... and yes, Shadowrun requires a bit of thought, unlike the game that causes Cancer...

Keep the Faith
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 18 2010, 05:35 PM) *
My general rule of thumb is that once the general chance of success drops below a certain point, you can't burn edge. Given that the probability of a given player rolling 100 successes on 18-24 dice based on exploding 6s alone is slightly less than the roll I would let them make to reach into their pocket and magically produce orichalcum, no, they don't get to burn edge.

No, some things defy possibility despite theoretically achieving enough successes with a burned point of edge. Like climbing a man and shouting in his ear and having him not notice, or building a car in three seconds, or soaking the drain from a Force 18 great form spirit if your drain pool is like... 6. Or even if it's 18. If I was feeling generous, I might let them roll, and if they managed to soak half the drain then they could burn edge. And a force 18 spirit is probably going to net itself some 18 hits or so, resulting in 54 drain.

I have no problem with those rules, but this is a thought exercise of what is possible not what someone would let happen at their table. I am not sure I'd have a rule about well its too unlikely so I wont let the burned edge work. I probably would make it clear if you abuse the rules in any fashion I will stop it. For me I can see a line being drawn between self inflicted damage of absurd proportions(binding drain), and similar levels of damage from freak accidents(falling from orbit or whatever). If I feel you are trying to get one over on me by abusing the system, I might allow it but then magically the opposition cheeses the rules just as horribly.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 18 2010, 05:35 PM) *
There are no physical requirements for spellcasting whatsoever. So shut the fuck up.

For me this falls into the sad but true category. It just makes magic feel like psionics to me. While I allow it as a GM, its in the rules and as a general rule it really doesn't break things. But as a player I just describe gestures and incantations as part of the tradition I use.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 18 2010, 03:35 PM) *

You should really tone down that Testosteron there Muspelheimr... You are going a bit crazy...
I know the rules, but what you continue to describe is blatant rules twinkery (even if it is technically allowable by the rules... like i said, splitting hairs)... It would not be allowed at our table... it does not follow the spirit of what the game is about... the fact that people are actually contemplating summoning a Force Ungodly spirit is just completely ludicrous... Try that in a game where the spirit of the game is adhered to and your summoner would be dead... no questions asked, thanks for playing...

So you might just consider calming down...

Keep the faith
SaintHax
Don't feed the trolls.
dirkformica
From the Original Post:
QUOTE (map @ Feb 15 2010, 06:03 PM) *
By the way, don't take this post to seriously. Clearly this is unbalanced and I would not allow this in a game I ran. It just got me to thinking of HOW could it be done.

There are some trolls in this thread who don't think they're trolls. Psst... if you post about how this wouldn't fly at your table in this thread you live under a bridge. nyahnyah.gif

Keeping with that theme, another approach is to go for a troll base and just suck up the damage. With Running Wild you'll have access to animals with Bod scores high enough to help. Using contacts to cast spells to prop you up might be better than relying on expensive focii too. Get a friend to spend some edge on the Shapechange casting at a decent force and your hungry, hungry hippo summoner could take quite a beating from drain even with a moderate drain pool of 16 dice (exceptional attribute and the like seem too expensive to me to boost Logic or Will on this guy really.) Also, with Possession tradition you can always posses yourself AFTER your shapechange to get maximum physical track (just make sure that spell is sustained until you repair the damage it may be carrying above and beyond your base.) 10 body troll + 2 hippo +x hits on spellcasting +y previously bound possession spirit could relatively easily get you around a 26 point physical damage track. 16 drain dice with rerolls gets you an average of about 8 hits, so that's up to 33 points of damage you could take and have 1 left over to live.

Also, since Shadowrun doesn't seem to have a clear order of operations on spells, you could take just about any race, cast Improved Attribute (Body) to get up to Bod 10, then cast Shapechange (Hippo) to get Bod 12 + Spellcasting hits. Then possess yourself with the force 9 spirit and see what you could Conjure.
toturi
QUOTE (Adarael @ Feb 19 2010, 07:02 AM) *
Well, I'm perfectly calm. I just wanted to point out once again that Shadowrun isn't D&D 4th, and requires a modicum of GM adjudication for certain rules lest everything descend into madness.

Shadowrun isn't D&D 4th. Adjudication of SR rules leads the GM into madness. SR makes you crazy, D&D gives you cancer.
Wiggles Von Beerchuggin'
Playing a blood mage, it's difficult. Not only is the build karma intensive, as any mage is, but you also have to be able to melee well or otherwise incapacitate opponents.

The last PC I played was a blood mage. Mechanically, the way I had him worked out was that he used a pistol loaded with capsule rounds full of DMSO/Slab to knock people out, and then used his melee skill to cut their throats and overcast spells.

As an actual character, he was far more messed up. He Awakened catastrophically, and learned the Sacrificing metamagic from a wandering, malevolent free spirit (5 BP) while he was scared out of his mind and on the run. So I had a sane, regular PC with morals who just happened to learn the worst way ever to channel and control his abilities. As a consequence, he only used blood magic once in the game. The rest of the time, he was so full of self loathing that he overcast spells as a way to self flagellate.

So you can play a twisted or blood tradition, if you put the time and effort into the character.

(I still want to play as a Twisted troll adept who powers his blood magic by crushing pixies in his hands.)
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (The orignal post)
It just got me to thinking of HOW could it be done.

Is 100 successes, from theoretically possible but mathematic improbable (to the point that the world "impossible" is valid in anything but the strictest sense) combination of 6's, really what the original post was about?

Or was it asking about ways you could -actually- do the feat in-game?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Feb 18 2010, 07:02 PM) *
Don't feed the trolls.

Absolutely right, Sorry...

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Wiggles Von Beerchuggin' @ Feb 18 2010, 08:10 PM) *
(I still want to play as a Twisted troll adept who powers his blood magic by crushing pixies in his hands.)

Awesome...

Keep the Faith
Godwyn
I am rounding this a little bit, because I was feeling lazy.

5.5 x 10^-70
Or
.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000055 PERCENT chance of getting 100 successes with 30 dice.

That is actually greater than the chance of firing a gun above its max range, which people are saying you cant do. Maybe the wind is -just right-. Maybe the power source surged just a bit (or burned hotter depending) and gave it just a bit more force. Maybe it hit a pure current of warm air, which is less dense, and suffered less air resistance.

Any of those are MORE plausible than getting those 100 successes.

And this is supposed to be a build discussion, not a dues ex machina for edge. Invoking burning edge in build theory is like saying to build a character as an npc to avoid the 400 bp limit. Possible, yes. Within the rules, yes. Pertinent to the discussion, not in any way, shape, or form.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (W@geMage @ Feb 18 2010, 05:27 AM) *
Achieving and successfully achieving are the same thing. It's a tautology.
If you achieve something, it was successful.

If you need 5 hits to achieve an action you don't have any hope to succeed unless you have at least 5 dice.

Or have 1 die, and access to an exploding dice pool, which edge does allow for.
Mordinvan

Actually you can't.... Something things simply do not exist on a given network regardless of how good a data search check you make is. Just like using long shot to justify 'ignoring armor' to allow you to bypass 6 buildings over 3 blocks can also be rules as a 'piss off twerp' scenario. The just getting an improbably good soak role however 'can' happen, and so the character by RAW should be permitted to do so.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 18 2010, 03:50 PM) *
My impression was that he was setting a line that the players could not go beyond in the face of what is Possible and what is not... when the thresholds get so rediculous as compared to your dice pool, a good GM SHOULD say NO... that way no more time is wasted on an action that is, for all intents and purposes, impossible... Sure you could argue that it is still POSSIBLE, but I am going to call BS at that point and just not let you burn that Edge...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith

I thought the whole point of burning edge was to allow for events which while possible were improbable to occur. I'm in a burning building which collapses, and I'm buried in the flaming rubble. Odds of survival? I'm just going to say 'non zero', yet I burn edge and get to live 100% of the time. I'm likely mauled and death may be a less painful outcome for me, but I'm alive.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 19 2010, 06:06 AM) *
Or have 1 die, and access to an exploding dice pool, which edge does allow for.

That does not help much, because you can only use Edge once for any given action. If you get access to exploding sixes, you actually have to roll enough to beat the threshold, or if you want a critical success on an insanely high threshold test, you have to be mathematically capable of achieving the threshold.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Feb 18 2010, 10:25 PM) *
That does not help much, because you can only use Edge once for any given action. If you get access to exploding sixes, you actually have to roll enough to beat the threshold, or if you want a critical success on an insanely high threshold test, you have to be mathematically capable of achieving the threshold.

If the odds of success are >0 then you can according to the rules.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 19 2010, 06:37 AM) *
Example: With a threshold 100 and a dice pool <100 you can either use Edge to make the roll mathematically possible, or burn Edge to achieve a critical success. You can't do both and the latter should be disallowed because the action was impossible for the character in the first place (i.e. without Edge).
pbangarth
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Feb 18 2010, 10:44 PM) *
Example: With a threshold 100 and a dice pool <100 you can either use Edge to make the roll mathematically possible, or burn Edge to achieve a critical success. You can't do both and the latter should be disallowed because the action was impossible for the character in the first place (i.e. without Edge).

Let's be careful here. It says (SR4A, p. 74) that one can only spend one Edge point per test or action. Burning Edge is a different use of Edge from spending. It does not say you cannot burn an Edge point as well as spend an Edge point on the same action.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Feb 18 2010, 10:44 PM) *

Last i checked one could both 'Use' and 'burn' edge on the same test, as both are different actions. If this has be expressly disallowed in SR4A then I may stand corrected.
Dakka Dakka
Argh you are actually right. Only one point per action only applies to using Edge not burning it. Let the silliness begin!
Adarael
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 18 2010, 06:49 PM) *
Shadowrun isn't D&D 4th. Adjudication of SR rules leads the GM into madness. SR makes you crazy, D&D gives you cancer.

Well, obviously you feel that way. You are, after all, the Canon Companion. wink.gif
But I prefer a less RAW and more interprative approach to weeding the crazy out of my rules. I can get plenty of crazy from my players, much less an unwieldy ruleset.

@Morindvan: I would suggest that surviving a collapsing, flaming skyscraper is not the use of burned edge to succeed on any one roll, but rather a burned edge to survive, as per the second use of burned edge.

I would also like to say I don't think anyone on Dumpshock is a troll. It just doesn't lend itself to trolling. Even Dr. Funkenstein, as contentious and Harlan-Ellisonish as he could be, wasn't a troll.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Feb 18 2010, 11:39 PM) *
Argh you are actually right. Only one point per action only applies to using Edge not burning it. Let the silliness begin!

Wow.... I'm actually right for once?
AngelisStorm
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 19 2010, 12:37 AM) *

QUOTE (Godwyn @ Feb 18 2010, 11:47 PM) *

5.5 x 10^-70
Or
.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000055 PERCENT chance of getting 100 successes with 30 dice.

QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Feb 19 2010, 12:18 AM) *
Actually you can't.... Something things simply do not exist on a given network regardless of how good a data search check you make is. Just like using long shot to justify 'ignoring armor' to allow you to bypass 6 buildings over 3 blocks can also be rules as a 'piss off twerp' scenario. The just getting an improbably good soak role however 'can' happen, and so the character by RAW should be permitted to do so.

Bypass armor, called shot, whatever. I think that hitting someone 3 block over, with buildings in the way, is more likely than getting the number quoted above.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Feb 18 2010, 10:12 PM) *
Is 100 successes, from theoretically possible but mathematic improbable (to the point that the world "impossible" is valid in anything but the strictest sense) combination of 6's, really what the original post was about?

Or was it asking about ways you could -actually- do the feat in-game?

Keep in mind the 100 successes were for if the great form force 18 spirit who rolled perfectly on a binding resistance test. FX2=36. 36X2=72. 72X1.5=108.

The more likely result in this scenario is Fx2=36x1/3=12 12x2=24 24x1.5=36

Given that we can likely come up with a build with 15-20 dice of drain resistance test and an edge of 6 is 36 dice outside the realms of possibility.

The easiest way to do this and survive(again if allowed by a GM, and I wouldn't let it in) would be sacrifice metamagic as pointed out. Go to the barrens, throw a stun ball to drop a few people then load them into your trunk. Keep them out of it with drugs and sacrifice 3ish people at once allowing you to soak 30 of that 36 drain. Heck if you want to be safe kick it up to 4 people and autosoak 40 drain that allows for the spirit to roll well and have you still come out of it okay.

Mordinvan
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Feb 19 2010, 12:15 AM) *
Bypass armor, called shot, whatever. I think that hitting someone 3 block over, with buildings in the way, is more likely than getting the number quoted above.

Not if the character is actually recieving armor from the buildings as that means the bullet would have to have a path to the character through the 6 buildings which does not transect a solid object which is not the target.
JoelHalpern
I had always assumed, and still do, that to burn an edge for critical success the task had to be one with a non-zero chance of success without edge. It could require all hits on your pool. But it couldn't require more hits than your pool has before edge.

Note that this is a different use from burning edge to save your life, where the GM is instructed to do whatever is necessary to end up with the character alive, although they may be badly hurt.

The other, less useful, restriction is that extended tests clearly don't use burning edge. And using regular edge on extended tests does not help much.

Yours,
Joel
crizh
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Feb 19 2010, 04:47 AM) *

5.5 x 10^-70
Or

I like this analysis of possible.

Assuming we are talking about a complex action, the probability of success still approaches zero (10^-55) if you had tried with every complex action since the formation of the Earth.

Even every sentient being that has ever existed since the dawn of time trying non-stop since the dawn of said time, assuming 100 billion habitable worlds in the observable universe has close to zero chance (~10^-25) of having succeeded in this endeavour. Assuming that they all had unlimited Edge to play with....

I think everybody here (except Muss.) will be happy to define this as not possible and move on to discussing the OP.

----

The solution is Spirits of Man.

They are a neat little edge-case that can be handily exploited to achieve this result.

Sustaining penalties apply to the roll a spirit makes to resist Binding.

Even a single summoning success is all you need to bind a F18 Spirit of Man. I would recommend giving it Shapechange as an Innate Spell, I would also go with a Possession Tradition and give it both Increase(Drain Stat) spells.

Technically, services used, by RAW, are not how many spells or powers it must use to achieve the request but merely how many individual requests have been made.

"Possess me and, starting with me, augment every metahuman in the room, to the utmost limit of your ability, with all the spells that you know until I have finished Binding you."

It ain't going to be happy but if there are six of you in the room it will be suffering a -36 dice penalty when it opposes your Binding roll.

Job done.
Karoline
QUOTE (crizh @ Feb 20 2010, 01:58 PM) *

They are a neat little edge-case that can be handily exploited to achieve this result.

Even a single summoning success is all you need to bind a F18 Spirit of Man. I would recommend giving it Shapechange as an Innate Spell, I would also go with a Possession Tradition and give it both Increase(Drain Stat) spells.

Technically, services used, by RAW, are not how many spells or powers it must use to achieve the request but merely how many individual requests have been made.

"Possess me and, starting with me, augment every metahuman in the room, to the utmost limit of your ability, with all the spells that you know until I have finished Binding you."

It ain't going to be happy but if there are six of you in the room it will be suffering a -36 dice penalty when it opposes your Binding roll.

Job done.

This is where you start pissing off the spirit. First, it will count that as multiple services, using any sort of sentence break as a separate service. This makes sense, as 'possess me and cast a spell on me.' is the same as "Possess me. Cast a spell on me." and thus if you piss off a spirit they'll translate into the second way and charge you two services.

Your example would be at the very least count as the following services.
1. Possess me.
2. Augment every metahuman.
3. Start with me.
4. To the best of your ability.
5. Until I have finished Binding you.

As soon as you run out of services before the spirit reaches task 5 it will vanish since you never specified how long.
This will also gain you things like the spirit bane quality.
This is also when spirits of man will burn edge to resist summonings in the future, and of course resist bindings as well.
You will likely have the spirit exploiting loopholes. It will for instance continually recast a single buff spell on the same person until it gets nothing but hits, because otherwise it isn't buffing to the utmost of it's ability. Alternatively it will cast a F36 buff spell and KO itself so it can go back to its metaplane.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (crizh @ Feb 20 2010, 02:58 PM) *
I like this analysis of possible.

Assuming we are talking about a complex action, the probability of success still approaches zero (10^-55) if you had tried with every complex action since the formation of the Earth.

Even every sentient being that has ever existed since the dawn of time trying non-stop since the dawn of said time, assuming 100 billion habitable worlds in the observable universe has close to zero chance (~10^-25) of having succeeded in this endeavour. Assuming that they all had unlimited Edge to play with....

I think everybody here (except Muss.) will be happy to define this as not possible and move on to discussing the OP.

Again the 100 successes were for the spirit rolling perfect on its binding resistance test. Usually you'd be rolling 30 dice and need 36 successes. Which is a tad more probably and in the realms of discussion.

----
QUOTE (crizh @ Feb 20 2010, 02:58 PM) *

Job done.

Awesome exploit. I'd be beat to death if I ever tried it at a table but awesome anyways.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 20 2010, 03:16 PM) *
This is where you start pissing off the spirit. First, it will count that as multiple services, using any sort of sentence break as a separate service. This makes sense, as 'possess me and cast a spell on me.' is the same as "Possess me. Cast a spell on me." and thus if you piss off a spirit they'll translate into the second way and charge you two services.

1. Possess me.
3. Start with me.

As soon as you run out of services before the spirit reaches task 5 it will vanish since you never specified how long.
This will also gain you things like the spirit bane quality.
This is also when spirits of man will burn edge to resist summonings in the future, and of course resist bindings as well.
You will likely have the spirit exploiting loopholes. It will for instance continually recast a single buff spell on the same person until it gets nothing but hits, because otherwise it isn't buffing to the utmost of it's ability. Alternatively it will cast a F36 buff spell and KO itself so it can go back to its metaplane.

i would say it would get you the spirit bane quality, but I'd say the rules are fairly clear that augmenting every meta-human in the room is one service.(though I could be misremembering) I think there is room to say its one service per X time period and not until I am done binding you. Also I'd say it can't sustain spells or perform services while you are trying to bind it in general. Since spirits are in a holding pattern until the binding is up even bypassing sunset/dawn time periods I'd say that the binding is an exclusive activity. It is not rules covered though so this would be a house rule.

It is a clear abusive exploit, but hey that is what this thread is about.
crizh
QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 20 2010, 07:16 PM) *
This is where you start pissing off the GM.

{stuff}

Fixed that for ya.

Just like twisting a Wish in the cancer game this amounts to the GM arbitrarily picking on a player. When you find yourself picking holes in the idiosyncrasies of a particular language to ignore intent you have strayed from the path of impartial arbiter.

Buff everyone in the room is no more multiple services than kill everyone in the room. Every extraneous word and piece of punctuation in the instruction exists solely to clarify intent and pre-empt GM Asshat-ery.

A Weasel move like that is just going to result in bad feeling and a player who, now that you have defined ground rules, comes back with a character that can and will succeed. Unless you ret-con the position of the goal-posts yet again.
Emy
QUOTE (crizh @ Feb 20 2010, 01:24 PM) *
Fixed that for ya.

Oh, I'm sure making the spirit sustain enough spells that it would be almost defenseless would piss the spirit off, too.

QUOTE (Karoline @ Feb 20 2010, 12:16 PM) *
1. Possess me.
3. Start with me.

That's utterly ridiculous.

List items 3, 4, and 5 are obviously clarifications on number 2. The third could maybe be stretched to count as a service on its own, but 4 and 5? Absurd.

How is "to the best of your ability" an action on its own? How does a spirit perform that service?

Summoner: "Kill that guy over there."
Spirit: "Yes, master."
*30 seconds later*
Summoner: "Alright, I have one service left on our contract. I'll use it so you can go back to relaxing on your metaplane."
Spirit: "What shall I do, master?"
Summoner: "To the best of your ability."
Spirit: "I... what?"
Summoner: "To the best of your ability."
Spirit: "Give me a verb, master."
crizh
Oh I don't doubt it would piss off the Spirit, It would certainly eventually earn you Spirit Bane or Edge use from resisting Spirits, no doubt.

The point was to achieve the goal not to win friends and influence astral entities.

It might also depend greatly on what use you put the Bound Spirit to subsequently. Treat it well, use it to perform tasks that are aligned with it's own goals or attitudes and you might go a long way to mitigating damage.
Karoline
QUOTE (crizh @ Feb 20 2010, 03:24 PM) *
Fixed that for ya.

Just like twisting a Wish in the cancer game this amounts to the GM arbitrarily picking on a player. When you find yourself picking holes in the idiosyncrasies of a particular language to ignore intent you have strayed from the path of impartial arbiter.

Buff everyone in the room is no more multiple services than kill everyone in the room. Every extraneous word and piece of punctuation in the instruction exists solely to clarify intent and pre-empt GM Asshat-ery.

A Weasel move like that is just going to result in bad feeling and a player who, now that you have defined ground rules, comes back with a character that can and will succeed. Unless you ret-con the position of the goal-posts yet again.

I considered changing that to GM.

And yes, I know I was over... went crazy with splitting it up into services.

But really, if you (Not you personally crizh, you as in the general 'a person') want to get technical about it (Which you do if you're trying to pull off tricks) then you should really read
Continual use of a specifi c power counts as only one service.
A spirit can use its powers on an individual target or a
group, depending on the power.

Note how it says 'a specific power' and 'individual or group depending on the power'. This seems to indicate that you can't give a blanket 'buff me' command but instead have to request each power individually. The second part seems to indicate that you'd have to request the spell for each individual person as well unless it is an AoE spell or affects multiple targets.

I know there is some part somewhere (Though I can't find it for some reason) about how a spirit will use its powers as appropriate when doing something like combat without requiring additional services.

In reality that 'possess me and buff everyone' command would be two services, even if the spirit wasn't annoyed at you. Just because you can put it all in one long sentence doesn't mean it is one service.

"Go out and pick me up a pizza, then clean my room, then the attic, then get me a soda, then dig a hole in the back yard, then fill up any holes you might find in the back yard, then go get me another soda, then ....." does not constitute one thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012