Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SRM 03-07 Knight at the Opera
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
BishopMcQ
Hey folks--

The stars have aligned, our shadow assets succeeded, and the most recent chapter of Missions was posted on time today. You can find it on Battlecorps and DriveThruRPG. Expect a post announcing it and the other two new releases for today to come up onto Shadowrun4.com some time soon.

DireRadiant
Some things you just need to do yourself.

BTW, I really enjoyed doing this Mission.
LurkerOutThere
Wow between this and 10 gangs it's like Christmas come early, this really gives me hope of a more regular release schedule going forward
BishopMcQ
I'm very hopeful! I've already seen some art pushing in for various Missions.
Freejack
Got it! Already assimilating it (and noting errors; you can't take the proofreader out biggrin.gif ).

Carl
Axl
I will be running "Knight at the Opera" soon. I have a couple of concerns. As soon as Ruby tells the player-characters the address of the safehouse, they will all want to go there and snoop around. In the case of some of the corp affiliates, they will also want to place cameras, and in one case, take a blood sample from the girl! However there is a strong chance of this infiltration being discovered before the opera.
LurkerOutThere
Yes, what's your question? *BIG EVIL GRIN*

[ Spoiler ]
Axl
The PCs will attempt to hack into the house systems, any commlinks there, break in, search around, place their cameras, and in one case try to take a blood sample from the girl. There is nowhere near enough information about the house to go through these activities.
LurkerOutThere
Ok i think i see your concern
[ Spoiler ]
LurkerOutThere
Either way let us know how it goes.
Axl
Thanks, Lurker. I'm gonna have to put in some extra preparation before the game; statting the house wireless, guards, shift changes, etc. We'll see how it goes.
SaintHax
Great job!
Axl
Okay, I ran the Mission on Saturday. It went well in the end. Fortunately, none of the 'runners tried to break into the house (it would have violated the contract). cool.gif

I am a little disappointed by some of the requirements for corp affiliation offers. For many of them, there is no conceivable way that a player could pre-empt those tasks without knowing about them in advance. indifferent.gif
LurkerOutThere
I noticed that about Knight at the opera as well, on the other hand there are other modules where it is very easy to stumble into an affiliation. SRM00 for example I have yet to have a table where everyone didn't get at least an offer.

BishopMcQ
One thing to remember is that the Missions were written with the presumption that they will be played in order. While we understand that occasionally a Mission will be played out of order, the earlier Missions in the series are easier to "stumble into an affiliation," whereas the later ones do require a bit more effort to earn affiliation and get the reward.
LurkerOutThere
While it is certainly nice to hope that missions will be run in order I don't think it's safe to always assume that lets take my own intro to SRM I went to a big con and played what was getting ran, loved it and wanted more. While it's nice to hope that things will be played from start to finish and in order I don't think it wiill ever totally work out that way. I for example played in and out a module that builds off Burning Bridges a module I have yet to read or play (still holding out hope I can get it in). Such is kind of life. Actually one specific issue I wanted to raise about the module spoilers below.

[ Spoiler ]
BishopMcQ
Lurker--

[ Spoiler ]
LurkerOutThere
Well if i might respectfully respond

[ Spoiler ]
Axl
Lurker & BishopMcQ, I had that problem in the game too. The NYPD affiliate wanted to contact a smuggler to obtain passage. I had to design an appropriate contact and make up some fees.
DireRadiant
Axl, this is where the catalyst demo team earns the big bucks.

Also, if the PC decide to follow a secondary objective in a manner that may explicitly preclude completing the initial mission offer, that's fine and entirely up to them. That kind of decision is just the same as any other one where they decide to do something other then what the Johnson asked. Life is about choices and some are mutually exclusive.
Axl
"Axl, this is where the catalyst demo team earns the big bucks." - DireRadiant

Um, okay. Although I'm unsure how that's relevant to the discussion above.

"Also, if the PC decide to follow a secondary objective in a manner that may explicitly preclude completing the initial mission offer, that's fine and entirely up to them. That kind of decision is just the same as any other one where they decide to do something other then what the Johnson asked. Life is about choices and some are mutually exclusive." - DireRadiant

Okay, your point is valid. On the other hand, an attempt to reach a secondary objective that leads to derailment of the main mission creates no fun for anyone. Several of the secondary objectives from that mission could have easily led to this. Ironically, the party hacker is a Renraku affiliate. He just made a couple of rolls to achieve his objective. He also picked up NeoNET affiliation.
LurkerOutThere
Well to be fair part of shadowrun is having people with conflicting goals and interests and potential ramifications of a job beyond just the job. At first I was very skeptical if the missions concept could pull that off but I feel the affiliations work beautifully for that. In addition to my advice elsewhere about not loosing site of the prize when it comes to accomplish other missions as a GM I would not have one character do something that might derail the mission without the other players have a chance to somehow intervene.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Axl @ Mar 12 2010, 02:39 AM) *
"Axl, this is where the catalyst demo team earns the big bucks." - DireRadiant

Um, okay. Although I'm unsure how that's relevant to the discussion above.

You could script out everything you can possibly imagine in the Mission and the players will always come up with something you have to figure out on the fly. Always. Just have fun with it and don't let it get to you. It can be the funnest part of the mission, those out of script bits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012