Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC/Spirit Edge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
SaintHax
It's always been an unwritten rule (and since I said "unwritten", read that as-- "IMO" and let's not sidetrack on a debate about this aspect of the post) that NPC's don't use Edge. Or goons, anyway. It just slows down the game, if nothing else. Certain key NPC's are obvious exceptions.

However, what about Spirits and summoning/binding? The SR4 rules give out powerful Edge to Spirits like it's candy-- a Force 8 Spirit will have Edge 8 just for being him/her. Does it use edge to resist summoning? Surely it would rather be on it's home plane. What about binding? If so, what about if I have the quality that has that spirit type like me? Then would it?

Recently a GM at GenCon had the spirit use Edge to reroll its failures b/c I used edge to reroll my failures-- I was stunned, but didn't see this as totally off base. I personally thought I'd only have the Spirit use edge if the mage glitched.

Now on the flip side-- if someone does summon a force 6 spirit, that has easy access to Edge... does the spirit use this Edge when doing a task for the mage?

Are there any guidelines in SR4 RAW that I missed? Additioanlly, what is SRM guidelines on NPC's using Edge.

Thanks again
DireRadiant
If there isn't a rule, isn't it up to the GM?

Are you trying to limit the GMs options when running Missions?
SaintHax
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Feb 16 2010, 12:32 PM) *
If there isn't a rule, isn't it up to the GM?

Are you trying to limit the GMs options when running Missions?

Not at all (and very cynical). However, the reason we have SRM modules is that the experience should be very similar for all players. SRM GM's do not have the same freedom as home GM's, Dire. At home I can choose when to apply dice pool caps, give out Contacts when I think the player has earned one, and various other things which are in the RAW for home games.
LurkerOutThere
Well I have seen GM's give contacts that wern't specifically in the module and there is a mechanic for that, but I see your point. However in the scheme of things I don't think this needs a guideline anymore then any other NPC edge expendature needs a guideline.
SaintHax
I think there's a reason-- but if there is no guidelines, then I choose to only have the spirit roll edge if the summoner/binder glitches.
Tsithlis
I would like to point out...

In the FAQ under Magic it states...

Can you use Control Thoughts on a spirit? Would this get you free services?

You certainly could, and the spirit would do as instructed for as long as the spell lasted. This is unlikely to make you any friends in the spirit world, however -- any magician who abuses their own spirits in this way is likely to see his spirits rebelling against him, using their Edge to resist Conjuring Tests and so on.

Now to me this implies (and I say implies and by no way mean it is a rule) that spirits do not "normally" use edge to resist their summoning.

just my 2 cents
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012