Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missions and Adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Zolhex
So question?????

90% of the metemagics that exist in the game are mainly useless to an adept I saw a tweaking the rules section and it says adepts can use the free metemagic they would get and trade it for 1 power point.

Any chance this is allowed for Missions adepts?
SaintHax
QUOTE (Casazil @ Feb 16 2010, 11:59 PM) *
So question?????

90% of the metemagics that exist in the game are mainly useless to an adept I saw a tweaking the rules section and it says adepts can use the free metemagic they would get and trade it for 1 power point.

Any chance this is allowed for Missions adepts?

Nope. That's clearly listed as an "optional rule".
BishopMcQ
None of the Tweaking the Rules options are available in Missions.

Within SR4A, there are 6 Metamagic techniques, two of them are available to all adepts (Adept Centering and Masking) and a third one is available (Flexible Signature) for any adept who takes Astral Perception.

Within Street Magic, there are 22 metamagic techniques (not counting Adept Centering which was added to SR4A), eleven of which are available to adepts. (Six of these are exclusive to Adepts)

That leaves 14 different metamagics which can be learned by an Adept. 22 Metamagics for Magicians. I'd suggest that it's a 40/60 split rather than a 10/90.
Zolhex
I never said there were no metamagics for adepts I said they were 90% useless.

But oh well a no is a no however in life sometimes an exception to the rules as stated is a good thing sometimes......
Axl
Considering the disparity in karma cost between increasing Magic and developing a new metamagic, this optional rule would allow adepts to become powerful a lot more quickly.
SaintHax
QUOTE (Axl @ Feb 18 2010, 02:08 PM) *
Considering the disparity in karma cost between increasing Magic and developing a new metamagic, this optional rule would allow adepts to become powerful a lot more quickly.

This has to be conjectual theory. Consider the cyber/bio counterpart to the adept. He can still use his karma to improve abilities, and also his nuyen for tech based powers. After the adept's initial creation and Magic of 6, it'll now cost him 35 karma PLUS initiation to gain any additional powers-- he's hit the glass ceiling.

Mean while the mage can learn new spells at 5 karma a piece, or by the time the adept has that much karma, the street sam has about 100k nuyen earned for cyber/bio (but he's spent that 35 karma on his skills to boot).

The adept in game has never matched the one in litature; and for any character that wants to play in the 75+ karma world, he's a very underpowered SR4 archetype.
Axl
I agree, at that karma level adepts start to fall behind. However I still have concerns about this optional rule's boost to the adept's powers. Have you played in games where the adept has used this option?
Wasabi
I've found a similar problem with Technomancers so I personally am convinced at high Karma levels both TM's and Adepts have to buy Magic/Resonance and get implants to continue scaling at a reasonable pace due to the super high cost of everything else.

I'm in favor of sticking with RAW despite this. If folks want to scale better strictly through magic and be an Adept then be a *Mystic* Adept and open up the whole menu of possibilities.
SaintHax
QUOTE (Axl @ Feb 19 2010, 03:58 AM) *
I agree, at that karma level adepts start to fall behind. However I still have concerns about this optional rule's boost to the adept's powers. Have you played in games where the adept has used this option?

I have not, so I don't actively support it. I believe it would work out fine for Adepts, but unbalance Mystic Adepts-- who have other problems not germane to this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012