Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Node, Stealth, and Sprites
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tsithlis
Okay, I've been searching around for this a bit and I'm not finding it. Let's say that I have a rating 6 sprite with a rating 6 stealth complex form. I use my sprite to enhance my CF and then hack on the fly into a node. Lets say for arguments sake that the node rolled 8 successes. Once inside the node my sprite would eventually stop enhancing my CF and it would return to rating 6. Since I have already hacked the node does this put the node on Alert since it rolled 8 successes to spot me on my way in, or is it once your inside, that dice action is finished and the node must spot you using traditional means (IC running analyze, Node running Analyze, etc...)
Aerospider
The node has had it's chance and didn't detect you so you're safe on that score. 4th edition has changed things to the 'breaking into a warehouse' dynamic, whereby (additional security aside) just hacking in is all you need for the system to consider you a legitimate user with given privileges.
Tsithlis
Thanks that clears up some things.
SleepIncarnate
However, the node may (and should) have IC inside that periodically Analyzes all icons, which means it still has a chance to detect the TM and set off an alarm.
Aerospider
Indeed. In fact a node can even do this for itself if the SecAdmin saw fit.
Valashar
Any node without a running Analyze proggie is a candy store or a honey trap.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Valashar @ Mar 12 2010, 06:38 PM) *
Any node without a running Analyze proggie is a candy store or a honey trap.

The candy store option should be prevailant enough. An AR gamer, for example, wouldn't want his 'link to lose response for excessive program load. Most non-professional Matrix users wouldn't.
Malachi
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Mar 9 2010, 09:57 AM) *
However, the node may (and should) have IC inside that periodically Analyzes all icons, which means it still has a chance to detect the TM and set off an alarm.

Right, and the GM should run these like patrolling guards in a physical building. Don't worry about rolling to detect every X Initiative Passes or Rounds, just decide when the IC happens to "walk by" and give it a chance to detect the Hacker. Reallying Hacking a node should be played/described like intruding into a physical building.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Malachi @ Mar 12 2010, 10:44 PM) *
Hacking a node should be played/described like intruding into a physical building.

... depending on the sculpted 'rules'.

Otherwise it might be like fighting ninjas in a jungle, planet-hopping through space, directing an archaeological dig or trying to find the right paperwork in Futurama's Central Bureaucracy. Whatever you feel like. Everything is optional, including things like gravity and how light acts.
otakusensei
Also keep in mind that you can be in more than one place at once, but your stats don't change from place to place. Downside of this is that you need to keep that Stealth Threaded and it effects the you that's sitting on your home 'link. Upside is that if there is a sprite sitting on that 'link boosting you, the you that's on the run in that corporate system gets the bonus too. More of a problem for hacker with limited resources and anyone who might find themselves fighting on multiple fronts and trying to so something else besides.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012