Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sex magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Snow_Fox
To further built on what AH wrote it would not just be limited to health spells. Historically sex magic in a group setting was used for fertility of the land. Crops and the like. SR has built on this and since the goal is to raise power it could expand far beyond health spells. Those are the most common- fertility could be intepretted as healing sick/wounded. I would have trouble using it with a combat spell, the ulitmate act of life targeting death- and illusion but information spells-sending out a spell to draw in information-and manipulation would seem like a good base too. Not the violent ones like flamethrower- but mental controls? Sure as the powerfully enhanced ermotions of the caster overwhelms the target.
Tyro
QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 11 2010, 01:12 AM) *
First, Snow_Fox..I love seeing someone who does their homework on the theory.
I like to incorporate RL practices into my games as well, partly for the believability
(When you have someone do a spell where the practices, if not the actual details,
are drawn from actual workings, it makes it more believable, and makes it easier
to answer player questions), and partly because it is what I know, and so what,
when I am trying to think of something, where my first thoughts go(I GM on the fly).

That said, Tyro, I see some potential issues over all with the idea in practice. First,
I would have to ask are they all the same(or similar traditions)? If not(or even if so),
what Tradition are they? A Wiccan would have a different approach then one following
a more Egyptian tradition and both would be different from someone following
Christian Theurgy or Chaos Magic. From there, I wonder other details, like how open minded
are your players? Do they know this is what you are planning? I ask because this is the sort
of thing that can make a player potentially uncomfortable. Also, where do you play? If you
play at home, that makes things different then if you play out in public. And how graphic do
you expect to get in game? I know that, given where I play(at my FLGS), I could never run
a game like this.(That and even if I could, I would have one player who would likely have his
head explode..poor guy leads a really sheltered life...did not even know what the Blue Oyster bar
was!)

The traditions are different, but they're all part of the same magical group. One's a Gardnerian Wiccan Magician, and the others are Adepts (combat monster & face). Without going into too much detail, my players will have no problem with detailed and/or graphic descriptions of the acts in question. We're playing at my secondary's apartment, so no issues about public exposure. Good questions!

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 11 2010, 05:06 AM) *
<snip>
I would have trouble using it with a combat spell, the ulitmate act of life targeting death- and illusion but information spells-sending out a spell to draw in information-and manipulation would seem like a good base too. Not the violent ones like flamethrower- but mental controls? Sure as the powerfully enhanced ermotions of the caster overwhelms the target.

I can TOTALLY imagine setting off a lustbomb - PBAoE mob mood type thing ^_^
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Tyro @ Mar 10 2010, 06:22 PM) *
That's a bit dark; I want him to be a nice guy for the most part.

Karma drain does no permanent harm, and maybe he only does it to willing participants.
Faraday
QUOTE (Tyro @ Mar 10 2010, 07:29 PM) *
In my defense, this IS a game with penile implants, breast implants, and the Orgasm/Orgy spells in official sourcebooks ^_^

You forgot all the sleaze bars and bunraku parlors. nyahnyah.gif
QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 11 2010, 01:12 AM) *
..poor guy leads a really sheltered life...did not even know what the Blue Oyster bar
was!)
I can venture a guess, but *I* don't exactly know what a "blue oyster bar" is exactly. >.>

Edit: Googled, and I wasn't far off the mark.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tsithlis @ Mar 10 2010, 03:08 PM) *
I just want to know where this club is located... I want to join!

The Green Door, in Las Vegas, NV. Duh.
Faraday
QUOTE (Tyro @ Mar 11 2010, 02:36 PM) *
The traditions are different, but they're all part of the same magical group. One's a Gardnerian Wiccan Magician, and the others are Adepts (combat monster & face). Without going into too much detail, my players will have no problem with detailed and/or graphic descriptions of the acts in question.
Speaking as a player of one of these group members, I can say that although I'm not particularly afraid of explicitly detailing what my character is doing, I may end up freezing up from a lack of proper description. Been out of practice for role playing in general.

Not sure what path my adept (he's the combat monster) is taking, but with Improved Reflexes III and combat sense, he seems more a warrior than anything... Maybe a warrior of love? wobble.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 12 2010, 12:44 AM) *
Not sure what path my adept (he's the combat monster) is taking, but with Improved Reflexes III and combat sense, he seems more a warrior than anything... Maybe a warrior of love? wobble.gif
And a 'quick shot'! wink.gif
The Jake
What about a Free Spirit that encourages sharing of karma via sex rituals?

- J.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 12 2010, 02:44 AM) *
Speaking as a player of one of these group members, I can say that although I'm not particularly afraid of explicitly detailing what my character is doing, I may end up freezing up from a lack of proper description. Been out of practice for role playing in general.

The Warrior?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT9t5nkZn8I

Don't tell me that doesn't make you want to play Shadowrun!
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 12 2010, 10:59 AM) *

When discussing Shadowrun it's always time for Pat fuckin' Benetar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FsatlyzUeA
Faraday
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 12 2010, 07:59 AM) *

Quick is right. He dual wields high velocity assault rifles when things get wooly. And I mean the kind that shoots lead bullets. nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 12 2010, 11:44 PM) *
Quick is right. He dual wields high velocity assault rifles when things get wooly. And I mean the kind that shoots lead bullets. nyahnyah.gif

I was going to say, only reptiles dual wield!
Faraday
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 12 2010, 09:10 PM) *
I was going to say, only reptiles dual wield!
...*about to speak*...

I think I'll just leave that one alone.
Faraday
Attack of the double post!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 13 2010, 12:23 AM) *
...*about to speak*...

I think I'll just leave that one alone.

*.nirglivE*

I also see I've been sigged. Yay!
Tyro
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 12 2010, 03:59 PM) *
What about a Free Spirit that encourages sharing of karma via sex rituals?

- J.

The owner of the club (and patron of the magical group) is Eduardo, a F7 free spirit of man. I gave him Glamour (as per Dryads) and Symbiosis (ditto, but only pertaining to the club). He can't leave the premises; I'm not sure why yet.
Faraday
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 12 2010, 10:32 PM) *
*.nirglivE*

I also see I've been sigged. Yay!

That particular comment tickled me enough to be my first signaturee on DS. Congratulations.

Draco18s
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 13 2010, 03:50 AM) *
That particular comment tickled me enough to be my first signaturee on DS. Congratulations.

That's kind of how I intended it at the time.
Faraday
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 13 2010, 08:55 AM) *
That's kind of how I intended it at the time.

You mean I've been sig-sniped!? eek.gif

On topic: Perhaps our force 7 spirit of Man can't leave the premises due to the rest of the world being a relative background count for him? Maybe the only reason he is firmly bound to earth is something in the building...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Faraday @ Mar 13 2010, 02:09 PM) *
You mean I've been sig-sniped!? eek.gif

Hehe. If you want to think of it that way.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tyro @ Mar 13 2010, 01:36 AM) *
The owner of the club (and patron of the magical group) is Eduardo, a F7 free spirit of man. I gave him Glamour (as per Dryads) and Symbiosis (ditto, but only pertaining to the club). He can't leave the premises; I'm not sure why yet.

Isn't Eduardo a reference to that cartoon about the blue imaginary friend they show on Cartoon Network?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Mar 14 2010, 11:03 AM) *
Isn't Eduardo a reference to that cartoon about the blue imaginary friend they show on Cartoon Network?

Eduardo isn't particularly handsome. He's the Beast from The Beauty and the, only purple.
Tyro
Sorry for the threadomancy; I haven't had reliable Internet access of late (dead compy). Eduardo just seemed like a good name for a sexy Spaniard. I took it off a list of traditional Spanish names.
MindandPen
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Mar 10 2010, 05:15 PM) *
But hey, let's focus on some fun stuff that you can do. Geasa are discussed above, and perfectly fine - many magicians had strange sexual norms and mores, and if you want to be more Rasputin than celibant, that's your deal. On a more practical side, the ceremonial sex rituals provide a good justification for enhanced ritual magic - perhaps a way to have more participants without having anyone know the Great Ritual metamagic.

What about incorporating Vampires and Mantis Spirits.

-M&P
MindandPen
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Mar 11 2010, 08:06 AM) *
To further built on what AH wrote it would not just be limited to health spells. Historically sex magic in a group setting was used for fertility of the land. Crops and the like. SR has built on this and since the goal is to raise power it could expand far beyond health spells. Those are the most common- fertility could be intepretted as healing sick/wounded. I would have trouble using it with a combat spell, the ulitmate act of life targeting death- and illusion but information spells-sending out a spell to draw in information-and manipulation would seem like a good base too. Not the violent ones like flamethrower- but mental controls? Sure as the powerfully enhanced ermotions of the caster overwhelms the target.

It almost appears that sex magic could be a minor version of the blood magic rituals used during the Great Ghost Dance. In the Atzlan sourcebook, Jaguar indicated that they were doing rituals to revitalize the Amazonian forests without using Blood Magic that would cause another mana spike. Could they have been doing sex magic rituals?

-M&P
Method
QUOTE (MindandPen @ Apr 15 2010, 09:45 PM) *
It almost appears that sex magic could be a minor version of the blood magic rituals used during the Great Ghost Dance. In the Atzlan sourcebook, Jaguar indicated that they were doing rituals to revitalize the Amazonian forests without using Blood Magic that would cause another mana spike. Could they have been doing sex magic rituals?

Sexual Earth Healing? smile.gif
Kronk2
QUOTE (Kazuhiro @ Mar 10 2010, 03:23 PM) *
Frag that.

We're discussing it in a mature way with the actual intent of using it in a game. Freedom of speech. What do you think we are, Christians?

Hey now, what that ;-(
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 15 2010, 11:29 PM) *

80s orientalist sexuality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsfXNOmo7Pg
Bira
I'd recommend not focusing on the trappings too much, rules-wise. Except for blood sacrifices (which are mostly Bad and Wrong), the SR magic rules don't seem to care what specific rituals you use to power your magic, be it sex, dancing, or Zen meditation. So there would be no need to make up overly-detailed rules for sex-magic - just state that's what your tradition does in their ritual castings or summonings.
Kazuhiro
Didn't the word "orgy" mean "sinister pagan sex ritual" before it meant "promiscuous group sex?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgy
Daddy's Little Ninja
Since it makes me think of Romans having a wild sex party I think your other meaning would have to be over 2,000 years old.
DVSman
Tangent: When I read this topic the first thing that came to mind was George RR Martin's Wild Cards' character, Fortunato. Kind of a magic / supers guy that derived his power via tantric sex.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DVSman @ Apr 21 2010, 08:57 PM) *
Tangent: When I read this topic the first thing that came to mind was George RR Martin's Wild Cards' character, Fortunato. Kind of a magic / supers guy that derived his power via tantric sex.

Fortunato was definitely an Interesting Character...
I really wish I could find the first 15 novels of the Wild Cards series... there are some new ones out, but I really miss those first ones...

Keep the Faith
DVSman
Wow - there have been 15 novels in the series? I read the first 4 or 5 waaaay back in the day when it first came out and then with school / life / etc. kinda lost track. Guess they kept pumping them out over the years. Might have to see if they ever came out in ebook / kindle or something.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DVSman @ Apr 22 2010, 07:11 PM) *
Wow - there have been 15 novels in the series? I read the first 4 or 5 waaaay back in the day when it first came out and then with school / life / etc. kinda lost track. Guess they kept pumping them out over the years. Might have to see if they ever came out in ebook / kindle or something.

From what I remember, there were 15 original books...tht was back in the 90's (mid or so)
In Barnes anbd Noble last month, I noticed that there were 3 new ones on the shelves, not of the original 15...
I asked if the originals were available, even on an order, and they could not even pull them up to order... it was quite a sad revelation...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012