Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR Missions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Navar
Hello All.
Myself and another player, have been looking at getting in to SR missions for awhile. We're long time Shadowrun players and would love to get in on this. But we have a few questions and are sort of worried that it might be too late to get in on some of this.

I myself have no idea how any of this works, although I'm not new to forum posting or forum style roleplaying. How to sign up, etc. Any explanation will prove useful.

If this is posted in the wrong channel do let me know. I'll remove it ASAP.
Wasabi
Here are a couple of links to the Missions website.

http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/index.shtml
http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/srm_faq.shtml

Why there is no stickied thread here on Dumpshock with "What is the SRM program?" and "Click here for more information" is beyond me.
MatrixJargon
i'm one of the players he mentioned that are interested. We've been looking at SR Missions for a long time, but I think the general census is that we're afraid we're joining in a bit late. But I'm definitely going to look in to joining, even though I doubt there's a GM down here in Montgomery, AL for it.
Bull
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Mar 21 2010, 10:38 PM) *
Here are a couple of links to the Missions website.

http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/index.shtml
http://www.shadowrun4.com/missions/srm_faq.shtml

Why there is no stickied thread here on Dumpshock with "What is the SRM program?" and "Click here for more information" is beyond me.

THere used to be something up here, but it was way out of date. I talked with Stephen a while back about getting some more basic, solid information done up for us to STicky, but he never quite found the free time to do it, being swamped with Freelancer work and a dozen other duties besides.

THe FAQ needs updated, and there's information that needs added. THat's on my own rather long To Do list now. I'm hoping I can pull something together over the next couple of weeks.

Bull
LurkerOutThere
I could take some of that off your hands if you like.

Wasabi
Late? Adept's excepted, Shadowrun has so many mechanics that dont scale much thanks to the skill cap and dice pool cap that a 0 karma character can still be useful in a 200 karma team. The 200 karma character will tend to have better gear and lots of practice employing his abilities and have a wider breadth of abilities, sure, but that shouldn't exclude a newer player who knows a bit about the game world and can roleplay/problem solve. Its possible the other PLAYERS may be hard to deal with and exclude a new player but the mechanics shouldn't sideline a new player. [Disclaimer: Face characters and Infiltrators can be a bit elitist since there is less margin for recovery when those tests aren't passed.]

My own experience with Missions using an established team of players includes adding a 5th and 6th member with 0 karma while the rest of us had around 120-150 and integrating the new player in. Both members that joined in the last two years are still with the team and the biggest challenge in Missions which karma cant solve is problem solving and roleplay. Those players experienced in pen-and-paper gaming who know a bit of the Shadowrun world can certainly handle the difficult parts of a Missions game regardless of the karma on the sheets next to them.

My suggestion is to give Missions a whirl if you can find a member of the Catalyst Demo Team or have a GM enthused about running them. If you have trouble finding Missions games there are usually several offerings at the larger conventions like GenCon and Dragoncon; For the last two years I've been lucky enough to be able to play Shadowrun at a convention for a few days straight without repeating any games although only maybe 4-5 of those 4 hour time slots were Missions. Anyways, hope things work out to where you and yours can give them a whirl.
Bull
OK, I went ahead and used something Bishop had written up for me last fall and posted it along with some links. I'll update that as things get better situated, and as things change. smile.gif But it's a good starting point for now.

Bull
Wasabi
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012