Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it me?...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
The Jake
QUOTE (toturi @ Mar 23 2010, 03:21 AM) *
Laughing maniacally while wading through whatever opposition the GM can pit against them is a role. People claiming to be roleplaying often ignore that because it doesn't fit their idealised vision of talky-talky touchy-feely.

If that is within your character's personality - sure. Otherwise, you'd be mistaken.

- J.
Dwight
@Jake

I once started keeping a nerf gun loaded next to me at the table. I'd pick it up and shoot a problem player to curb an *cough* issue he had/was causing. It curbed that particular quirk but in the end it was only a matter of time before I stopped playing at the same table with him, in any capacity. Which was tough because I still see him outside of games, and he's friends with people I do play with. But at the table it's not a good scene and I find just not worth the hassle of the disruption.

Maybe if this guy you mention only comes around periodically you'll be able to delay the inevitable for a while? I don't know. When/if the end finally comes though I expect you'll feel much relief.
The Jake
QUOTE (Dwight @ Mar 23 2010, 03:28 AM) *
@Jake

I once started keeping a nerf gun loaded next to me at the table. I'd pick it up and shot the problem player to curb an *cough* issue he had/was causing. It curbed that particular quirk but in the end it was only a matter of time before I stopped playing at the same table with him, in any capacity. Which was tough because I still see him outside of games, and he's friends with people I do play with. But at the table it's not a good scene and I find just not worth the hassle.

Maybe if this guy you mention only comes around periodically you'll be able to delay the inevitable for a while? I don't know. When/if the end finally comes though I expect you'll feel much relief.

Our group plays weekly but I run Shadowrun only fortnightly and it is the only game I play at present due to other commitments. This player has been playing in the alternate weeks game of Robotech, which has been a breath of relief largely. That said, he does contribute and is fun to have around - so long as he isn't being completely retarded.

He has self-selected out of the game and chosen to play in Robotech for several reasons:
- One (I suspect) is me saying "no" so often. I haven't clarified this yet.
- Two, is that he is a playing a do-good style character in Shadowrun. We're playing Ghost Cartels with a very dark group of PCs. His character simply doesn't fit. Subsequently I'm not letting him back in unless this is resolved (either change the way the character is played or play a new character that better fits).
- Three, and this is yet another player problem - I believe he enjoys games where he gets to be a hero (or otherwise play Chaotic Good) and doesn't like playing dark campaigns.

I'm in discussions with him now to clarify the last point in particular. We're exploring that given he plays so sporadically, that perhaps he'd get more fun playing a cameo style character - which could be a one shot (I'm undecided). I am flexible on this.

My other big reason I'm discussing this is I realise what a prick I come across as when I tell a player "no" and I want to ensure that this isn't stifling his fun the degree that he doesn't want to play anymore. We had a chat the other day and he said no, but I'd rather discuss the issue in more depth.

I was very clear from the onset that we are playing a dark campaign so he was definitely warned. If it is the subject matter alone he is uncomfortable with and not my GMing then I'm cool with him not playing.

FWIW, this player responds remarkably well to criticism and does make efforts to change where it is in his ability to do so. It's just recognising he has limitations (as we all do) and working with them.

- J.
Dwight
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 22 2010, 08:38 PM) *
FWIW, this player responds remarkably well to criticism and does make efforts to change where it is in his ability to do so.

That is worth a lot, definitely a positive sign that there will be games that he can play in.

Fatum
So wait, you have a dark group of PCs, and he enjoys playing the good guys. And he only shows up from time to time.
Why not just make him their recurring rival? They won't know when he'll strike again (same as you don't know when he'll show up); and yeah, it may require a bit of GM fiat to make him, you know, recurring, but otherwise I imagine it may be a good role for him.
The Jake
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 23 2010, 03:49 AM) *
So wait, you have a dark group of PCs, and he enjoys playing the good guys. And he only shows up from time to time.
Why not just make him their recurring rival? They won't know when he'll strike again (same as you don't know when he'll show up); and yeah, it may require a bit of GM fiat to make him, you know, recurring, but otherwise I imagine it may be a good role for him.

It was almost going to go that way, but firstly I have to explain the player dynamics.

This problem player and one of my main players (often othertime GM) frequently butt heads. This is largely due to the fact that this main player has historically been the one to slap down his silly ideas en masse (up until I started saying "no", which takes the pressure off him). After roleplaying with this problem player even longer than me, in more recent times, his patience has gone done (and believe me he has the patience of a saint - Ghandi would have strangled this guy by now). This main player often acts as the defacto team lead in a roleplaying scenario.

Anyway, my problem player has now developed an adversarial relationship with this player where ANYTIME he suggests anything, it becomes circumspect.

Ingame, this problem manifests itself in several ways, most notably where the problem player looks to deliberately undermine the other player by screwing with his character. He then finds ingame justifications for this behaviour.

Given his 'alignment' vs the parties, this is manifesting in Shadowrun with him threatening to oust the group to Lone Star, rival syndicates, etc.

I would happily allow him to play a villain type role, but not when his primary motivation in that context is to screw with another player. I've already discussed this with the problem player and said in no uncertain terms this behaviour won't be tolerated.

- J.
nemafow
If this person is stopping someone/the whole group from having fun, on purpose, then he should be asked to stop or simply leave the group.
The Jake
QUOTE (nemafow @ Mar 23 2010, 04:02 AM) *
If this person is stopping someone/the whole group from having fun, on purpose, then he should be asked to stop or simply leave the group.

Well that's it - he's not playing now. Besides which, if I thought this wasn't a problem that couldn't be fixed, I'd drop a cow on the character and call it a day.

- J.
Kovu Muphasa
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 22 2010, 10:13 PM) *
*deep breath*

One of my players (the one who kept passing turns) rarely gets to play because his wife won't let him out. He won't attend for a month and then attempts to cram 3-4 weeks of roleplaying moments into one session, repeatedly trying to steal the thunder of all the other players. He also does incredibly stupid things with his character that annoys the crap out of the other players.

Case in point, he plays an eagle shapeshifter who insists on doing aerial recon every mission, irrespective of whether or not it is appropriate. He also insists on shapeshifting at the most inappropriate time, solely for dramatic effort, with no regard for whether this will inconvenience the other PCs or draw attention to them all, or just elevate hostilities. We would have murdered him years ago except for the fact we largely pity him - that and his general insanity often leads to moments of pure genius once every ten sessions or so that is a marvel to behold (often saving the day in a spectacular way).

Whenever he does something blatantly stupid now, I deal with this now by simply telling him "no". I don't ask him if he's sure, I don't try to clarify his intentions, I don't try to talk him out of it. The clownshoe never learns. Ever. He firmyl believes that all his ideas are brilliant. Killing off his character doesn't get the point across (this has been done in numerous campaigns - in D&D it was so common it was a running gag that he was the most resurrected character). Logical attempts at persuasion usually lead to heated arguments, often with multiple players that go nowhere and consume valuable gametime.

So I avoid it all by just saying "no".

Yes, it sucks to rob the player of his right to choose but as far as I'm concerned, the right for him to swing his fist ends where another persons' nose begins. Him sucking up valuable game time and causing arguments with his stupidity needs to be stamped out, not entertained and it caters to the lowest common denominator (i.e. the rest of the group). After 10+ years of playing with this guy, this method I have found to be the swiftest way to end disputes, keep arguments at a minimum and propel the game along.

I can give more examples of the player behaviour I have to tolerate at times but I think you get the idea.

- J.

I have this all the time when old players come in from out of town. They would come in and totaly ruin games and not even know the damage they did. So we started to do this.
"Billy Bob is going to be here so we are going to run this this time."

Just start a new game just for when he is there. Make it over the top and have it have nothing to do with the other game. This way you can keep One game story line intact, and the other one could also be for the others to try out diferent Idieas.
MindandPen
QUOTE (AndyZ @ Mar 21 2010, 09:57 PM) *
I suggest giving the players a GMPC, where you make a character who gives them advice and suggestions and helps work them through the run. Such a character would take his cut of the nuyen for a mission accomplished, but as they do better missions because things are going well, they get more and more money and that doesn't matter.

I did this with my kids when we started playing. That was a few years ago, during SR3. When SR4 came out, we did it again until we figured out what was needed. It worked very well. I also have the egg timer, and as their dad, I can enforce it sarcastic.gif
MindandPen
QUOTE (KnightIII @ Mar 22 2010, 10:56 AM) *
I reccomend shock collars. Few things keep a player in line better.

Being your players father works well to. sarcastic.gif

QUOTE (KnightIII @ Mar 22 2010, 10:56 AM) *
I like to impress time on them. While I dont try to rush them, we have a 4-5 hour play time every week. And they have a forum to refer too. And are all instant messenger networked. If they are beating a long dead horse on planning I crack the whip. They may have two weeks to complete the mission, but the J wants some updates. If theres no progress in a few days he needs to find another team. I dictate how much time goes by in planning based on progress. If they are actually getting somewhere (wether its where I wanted them to go or not) I'll let em go all night (until they start counting bullets and separating C-4 into tic tac sized pieces). If they are going in circles I will break in and inform them "You continue the discussion well into the night until you fall asleep. Next day. Resume planning." Just to let em know they need to focus.

My kids have all week to work out their planning. Sometimes we'll discuss it at dinner (until my wife tells us to knock it off). They have until the morning of game day to work it out and get their questions to me. That gives me a few hours or so to review, and then we get into it. But that's just us, otherwise, I like the shock collars. rotate.gif

underaneonhalo
QUOTE (Dwight @ Mar 22 2010, 10:28 PM) *
I once started keeping a nerf gun loaded next to me at the table. I'd pick it up and shoot a problem player to curb an *cough* issue he had/was causing.

I would bust a GM in the head faster than he could say "I did it for the lulz" if he did that to me. I'm not calling you out Dwight, just pointing out that this tactic will not work for everyone grinbig.gif

@The Jake
I know it's a ton of extra work, but if his problem is with the theme you could always try running a secondary campaign for the sessions when he shows up.
Dwight
QUOTE (underaneonhalo @ Mar 23 2010, 11:52 AM) *
I would bust a GM in the head faster than he could say "I did it for the lulz" if he did that to me. I'm not calling you out Dwight, just pointing out that this tactic will not work for everyone grinbig.gif

That's OK, no worries. smile.gif I consider you entirely in the right to call me on it. Especially given the limited information I've posted here. I got away with it largely because his position was undermined due to the issue being him blatantly cheating on rolling his dice (premeditated by intentionally sitting at the other end of a long table, using very hard to read dice, etc.) and inventing items and such in the moment and claiming they were written on his character sheet.

Still, I wouldn't do it again. There are more appropriate ways to handle it, I've learned and moved on.
nemafow
QUOTE (Dwight @ Mar 24 2010, 08:49 AM) *
That's OK, no worries. smile.gif I consider you entirely in the right to call me on it. Especially given the limited information I've posted here. I got away with it largely because his position was undermined due to the issue being him blatantly cheating on rolling his dice (premeditated by intentionally sitting at the other end of a long table, using very hard to read dice, etc.) and inventing items and such in the moment and claiming they were written on his character sheet.

Still, I wouldn't do it again. There are more appropriate ways to handle it, I've learned and moved on.

Oh I hate people who cheat with dice rolls and insist they have X item when they need it, even though you know they don't...
Why bother playing if your gonna be like that, I don't understand...
Dwight
QUOTE (nemafow @ Mar 23 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Oh I hate people who cheat with dice rolls and insist they have X item when they need it, even though you know they don't...

It isn't as clear in the moment, with other complications in play, but This part of what learned. smile.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (nemafow @ Mar 24 2010, 01:39 AM) *

Because new players don't know the multitude of the stuff they might need on a run.
It can be countered by allowing to include low-cost items into lifestyle costs, in my experience - say, even if your character doesn't have a flashlight on his charhseet, it's only 20 nuyen.gif , no reason not to let him have it.
nemafow
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 24 2010, 01:39 PM) *
Because new players don't know the multitude of the stuff they might need on a run.
It can be countered by allowing to include low-cost items into lifestyle costs, in my experience - say, even if your character doesn't have a flashlight on his charhseet, it's only 20 nuyen.gif , no reason not to let him have it.

While I do agree with what you've said, I was merely commenting with regards to Dwights post, as it reminded me about a specific player in my group. And he isn't new to SR, it was worse back in the *shudder* D&D days, but it does still pop up now and then.
Cheating with dice rolls or cheating in general is more of a problem and something I'm more likely to give a shit about, if it did start happening again.
The Jake
I have no intention of running a second campaign.

I am running Ghost Cartels specifically because I lack the time to properly create my own content (at least at a level that I would be happy with). Even the one campaign, once a fortnight is tough for me.

I feel I have the player situation in hand. I just started posting in this thread to express my sympathies originally. I hadn't intended to vent. But at least other GMs reading know they aren't the only ones with challenging players and situations.

- J.
underaneonhalo
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 24 2010, 01:22 AM) *
I feel I have the player situation in hand. I just started posting in this thread to express my sympathies originally. I hadn't intended to vent. But at least other GMs reading know they aren't the only ones with challenging players and situations.

- J.

I think we could easily start a thread titled "And now a running list of things I hate about my players in Shadowrun" vegm.gif
toturi
QUOTE (MindandPen @ Mar 24 2010, 01:42 AM) *
Being your players father works well to. sarcastic.gif

What if the problem player is the GM's father. And the quid pro quo is to run shadowrun.
Fatum
QUOTE (underaneonhalo @ Mar 24 2010, 09:44 AM) *
I think we could easily start a thread titled "And now a running list of things I hate about my players in Shadowrun" vegm.gif

Are you sure the server's hardware is up to the task of storing that much text?
The Jake
QUOTE (underaneonhalo @ Mar 24 2010, 07:44 AM) *

Go for it. I feel quite confident I could populate it with at least a couple of pages worth of stories, given sufficient time.

QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 24 2010, 12:10 PM) *
Are you sure the server's hardware is up to the task of storing that much text?

Or raw processing power as the rage of a thousand GMs hammer Dumpshock simultaneously creating a DDOS?

- J.
Fatum
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 24 2010, 02:32 PM) *
Or raw processing power as the rage of a thousand GMs hammer Dumpshock simultaneously creating a DDOS?

-Our rage will blot out the sun!
-Then we will play with high blood pressure.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (underaneonhalo @ Mar 24 2010, 01:44 AM) *
I think we could easily start a thread titled "And now a running list of things I hate about my players in Shadowrun"

I hate how this one dude got cheeto dust and pizza grease into my pristine SR2 core book. It actually had an intact spine and everything. frown.gif
Daylen
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Mar 24 2010, 11:15 PM) *
I hate how this one dude got cheeto dust and pizza grease into my pristine SR2 core book. It actually had an intact spine and everything. frown.gif

cheeto dust and pizza grease are well known for their ability to keep book spines from coming apart.
The Jake
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Mar 25 2010, 12:15 AM) *

That's how I know you're lying.

Shadowrun books - particularly the SR2 BBB was most guilty of this, was notorious for shitty binding for years. I don't think this was even addressed until sometime into SR3, if not SR4.

- J.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 24 2010, 06:24 PM) *

Shadowrun books - particularly the SR2 BBB was most guilty of this, was notorious for shitty binding for years. I don't think this was even addressed until sometime into SR3, if not SR4.

- J.

I don't know... I got my SR2 Book right here.. intact spine and all... it is almost in pristine condition...

Keep the Faith
Jhaiisiin
Pics or it's propaganda!
Tech_Rat
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 22 2010, 10:10 PM) *
Well that's it - he's not playing now. Besides which, if I thought this wasn't a problem that couldn't be fixed, I'd drop a cow on the character and call it a day.

- J.

A space cow, which no matter how hard you try, you can not look away, move, or avoid it, and after it crushes you, it gets up, moos, and walks away?
Whipstitch
QUOTE (The Jake @ Mar 24 2010, 08:24 PM) *

- J.

That's why I'm still actually upset about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012