Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: cigarettes and streetlights
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Red-ROM
Hi all,
Most of my PBP games have gone "toes to Jesus" as they say, So I'm biting the bullet and putting on my GM cap. My Idea is to get back some of that 80's dystopian noir I miss so much. The shadowrun full of the happy ignorant masses and the hopeless few that fight the system or at least try to eak out an existence without buying into the corporate oppression. The Huge gap between the "haves" and "have nots" where eating real food is truly a luxury and not just a bit of fluff we mention here or there. I'm aiming for a small group, 3-4. and hope to post at least twice a week. char-gen wise, I'm going for low power, gritty, and interesting so;

400BP
No Restricted gear quality
NO sensitive system without taking cyberware
No AI's, and if you take a surge, I pick the negative metagenics.

And you must take one of the following negative qualities;

addiction(moderate or better),bad luck,poor self control(any),flashbacks,Bi-polar,Asthma,paranoia,predjudice(outspoken or better)

I can be flexible on these if the character is compelling
GrimWulf
I have a character in mind that could very easily fit into this type of setting. I'll toss something up later when I'm home (posting from my phone ATM)

Edit: So, got a gritty, sword wielding, shite talking, man hating, vindictive razorgirl (minus the cyber razors) with some good face skills. Not afraid to use drug's and while not currently addicted will most likely be in the future.

Digital Heroin
Title says noir and the first thing I thought was re-touching on a concept thoroughly disallowed by the rules... hah... the AI PI... still, I do have the gritty types lying around in my head...

...no DH, bad you... you have another character to make, a RL game to plot for, and a sideline PBP to open a recruiting thread on...
Critias
I've got a character that's right in line -- MOST of my characters fit this feel -- but I'd need to update him to SR4A. Mechanically, he's an Adept that's somewhere between a Face and a typical combat guy. Appropriate contacts and advantages for a Triad link, etc, etc, but he still freelances most of the time (so long as his bosses get a cut).

Here's his backstory (I've posted it before, but I like it, so why not?):

[ Spoiler ]
DireRadiant
I will be glad to assist you in biting the bullet.
Litany

LurkerOutThere
I'm intrigued and interested, a couple of character concepts i've been playing with:

A neo-tribal techno shaman with definite neo anarchist leanings, the sort who believes in tearing down and exploiting the structures of the man to bring power to the people. He will likely also end up as an orc or troll in keeping with that the theme of oppression, not optimal but a possibility.

Old Penitent: A physical adept and former Chicago resident the character is an unrepetent fatalist forever hating himself for his membership in the Universal Brotherhood before the truth came out about them.

Ghoul Adept: I've wanted to play a ghoul for a while now, this might be a good campaign fit.

yukami
the pitch: a lightly cybered, stealth-oriented mage who spent most of her teenage years (either a runaway, or else her parents bit it in Crash 2.0 and she lost her SIN at the same time) growing up on the street and unaware of her magical talents. she probably had a major gang influence (i'm thinking maybe a razor-girl gang) as her introduction to the criminal world, but mostly pulled small jobs and sold drugs and the like. she found out she had magical talent when she got exposed to deepweed (maybe accidentally, thinking it was the more normal, shallow-weed *grin*) maybe about a year or so before game-start-time, and realized that magic could be a key to finding some kind of better life for herself. ultimately, though, you can take the girl off the streets, but you can't take the streets out of the girl, and her new-found talents just end up being a means to a slightly more lucrative criminal life (enter the low-tier runner).

anyway, just a rough sketch...
nezumi
What edition?
GrimWulf
Are you using the free contacts house rule?
And I suppose the new house rule of being allowed to break open skill groups now that the latest FAQ says you cannot open them at creation?
Red-ROM
I never liked the idea of breaking skill groups at char-gen.
As for the free contacts, I'm on the fence. I guess you can, but if they have too high a connectivity, don't expect them to pick up when you call them.

@Nezumi(or anyone really): I'm using 4th edition. Learning the new rules has completely overwritten the 3rd ed stuff in my brain

@Digital Heroin: I decided against AI's because I wanted more feeling, or physical suffering, or something like that. Good luck with everything, I see you're giving "the Suit" another go. I tried to Bring Max into another game , but it looks like a no go.

@Lurker: techno shaman? sounds cool, what is it? I expected ghouls for some reason in this one.. I don't know why.

@ Dire Radient: I thought you didn't like playing with me after ole Jasper and Snow FLower had their little tiff
LurkerOutThere
Basically a TM who views his abilities through a quasi mystic shamanic bent.

Actually how would you feel about a ghoul TM their technically not allowed under 4th but they were legal previously and there have been at least one canonical example. So I've had a concept from a third Ed game that fell apart years ago. If not I completely understand.

As to ghouls noir has always said hard luck to me and no one is quite as fragged in sr as ghouls.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 26 2010, 09:54 PM) *
@ Dire Radient: I thought you didn't like playing with me after ole Jasper and Snow FLower had their little tiff

That was nothing personal with you, I just couldn't figure out a way to work it that would still make it worthwhile playing Snow Flower. That happens. I assume you are still enjoying the game as it's still active.
Digital Heroin
@Red-ROM: I fear the false starts as much as I fear whatever weird instability in my head gets me freaked out enough to run away if I miss a few posts... it's odd that way. Sam Marlowe discounted due to lack of feeling, which is understandible for the tone of the game, I do have Johnny Napalm lying around somewhere... nothing says gritty like a local punk music legend and anarchist straight out of the can.

Mind you I'm about to toss up the pitch today/tomorrow for two open slots on a gang oriented sideline game in my ECN story/tabletop rendition of Seattle, and I'm in two games with Script Frenzy upcoming... my writing's going to be in overdrive. I seriously hope the rumors about a port every night for my upcoming sail are true. Otherwise my first iPhone bill is going to suck...
Foxx
I'm open to run a charcter thats a little more gritty. Ex-trid adult film star turn Face. May bring that one back with a few revisions to history and let see how it works out. Defintely works for some of the requirements here.
GrimWulf
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 26 2010, 08:54 PM) *
I never liked the idea of breaking skill groups at char-gen.
As for the free contacts, I'm on the fence. I guess you can, but if they have too high a connectivity, don't expect them to pick up when you call them.

I've just been used to being able to open up the groups. Figured I'd ask as I was proceeding with doing so without asking.

The free contacts doesn't actually affect me much, free's up 6 whole BP, (which I've promptly put into more contacts). biggrin.gif
Red-ROM
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Mar 27 2010, 01:05 AM) *
That was nothing personal with you, I just couldn't figure out a way to work it that would still make it worthwhile playing Snow Flower. That happens. I assume you are still enjoying the game as it's still active.

kewl, that games been going good. With just three people the game moves relatively fast. The downside is the limited options without more characters, especially on the magic front. Thank heaven for stick and shock. Anyway, your character seems spot on for this. Kudos on using 3 of the negative qualities from the list smile.gif

@ lurker: I think its hard to reconcile the magical nature of ghouls with the magic and technomancy don't mix rule, and in earlier editions the only TM's were little Asian kids, I don't remember any ghouls, but I admit I haven't read half of the SR fiction out there. I think I've only played one or two of the modules in 3rd ed. I don't think I'm prepared to take on ghoul TM's

@ all: I want to stick to a 4 player cap, possibly an alternate list if someone drops out. I also want to reserve the right to make plays for characters that haven't posted for a while, nothing jerky, just to keep the game moving
GrimWulf
How did ya want completed characters sent to you?
Red-ROM
QUOTE (GrimWulf @ Mar 27 2010, 08:42 PM) *
How did ya want completed characters sent to you?

UPS

or just post it up in here, i think it helps if other players can see your character. that way they get to know them and can help catch mistakes or whatever. eventually we'll get an OOC thread to post them in.
imperialus
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. Classes will be done in a week or so then I'll have some free time over the summer.

I've got an idea for a Mongolian desert wars vet that might work. Actually ran him in a short lived campaign about a year ago. Never had a chance to really develop him much though.

He's a refugee from the Mongolian desert wars. See my take on his homeland here: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=712333

He's a relatively low augmentation, high skill, street sam. He was a member of one of the nomadic bike based tribes that operated in the ruined cities. He literally just arrived off the boat and has very few resources apart from a few pieces of ware that the network wired into his body. Lots of skills, very little gear. He's fallen in with the Ork underground and is looking to prove himself. Very unfamiliar with Seattle in general. He'll also have (effectively) a criminal SIN represented by a disabled GPS unit buried in his skull and some mystery cyberware. Hates Horizon (and other media corps) with a passion. Has a sort of Mad Max feel about him.
Red-ROM
@ imperialus: go for it

Its early yet, but so far we got(oversimplified of course):

combat/face
combat/face
technomancer??
stealth/mage
face
street sam

not much set in stone yet though
GrimWulf
Race: Human
[Description]
[ Spoiler ]

[Background]
[ Spoiler ]

[Qualities]
[ Spoiler ]

[Attributes]
[ Spoiler ]

[Skills]
[ Spoiler ]

[Cyber/Bio] - 170,000 nuyen.gif
[ Spoiler ]

[Gear] - 40225 nuyen.gif
[ Spoiler ]

[Contacts]
[ Spoiler ]

[Misc]
[ Spoiler ]
Critias
Hrm. Upon reflection of the upcoming business of my semester finishing, a cross-country move, etc, etc (not the least of which is the fact my SR4 stuff is already boxed up)...I'll go ahead and withdraw my interest, I guess. As much as I'd love to play in a noir-style game -- especially after reading more than my fair share of hard boiled detective stories for a literature and film class this semester -- I just don't have time right now, I think.

Have fun, everyone!
imperialus
OK, so I think I'm about done. When I first made Mongol he was done with 500 BP's. Took a bit of tweaking. I'll try to get to his background tonight.

Publicity Shot

Race: Ork (mundane)
Street Name: Mongol

Attributes:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities
[ Spoiler ]

Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Cyber 55,500 nuyen.gif
[ Spoiler ]

Gear
12130 nuyen.gif
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Misc
[ Spoiler ]
Foxx
Publicity Shot

Race: Elf (Awaken)
Street Name: Dawn

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities
[ Spoiler ]

Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Adept Powers
[ Spoiler ]

Gear 55,000¥
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Misc
[ Spoiler ]
Red-ROM
Foxx: I've only glanced at the character so far, but magic is capped at 6 without initiating, and you've only used 4.25 power points i think
LurkerOutThere
I'm still both playing witht he numbers and playing with the back story, i should have something up tonight or tomorrow.
Foxx
That should be a 5, not a 7. eek.gif

Correcting that now and checking my Adapt powers to see if I got them right.
LurkerOutThere
Here's the brief backstory, i'll get the final post done tomorrow. Also if the characters a bit of an idealist for a noir game he's not realyl meant to be. He's very much an ends justify the means sort.

Name: Light Rivers

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities
[ Spoiler ]
Red-ROM
I'm gonna leave recruitment open the rest of the week while I review characters, and I'll get the real posts started Saturday or Monday (Its easter weekend, so I might bet a little behind)

@Dire Radiant: I'd like to know about your contacts, Are some of them group contacts?

@Grim wulf: What did you get your Bad rep for? And what martial art did you take?

@ Lurker: I like the story, And even noir needs optimists, if only for the contrast.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 29 2010, 08:20 PM) *
@Dire Radiant: I'd like to know about your contacts, Are some of them group contacts?

The ORC is a group contact, the others shouldn't be, I'll be finishing up the final touches during this week, which will include blurbs on each contact in the BG section.
GrimWulf
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 29 2010, 08:20 PM) *
@GrimWulf: What did you get your Bad rep for? And what martial art did you take?

Oops, some of my background didn't make the cut n paste for some reason. Will throw that in there when I get home.

Short story is:
Martial Arts came from Sangre y Acero, taught to her by a former pit-fighter escapee.
Bad rep comes from her social ineptitude.
imperialus
Not a backstory per say, but a writeup on what the desert wars in Mongolia look like. Says a lot about Mongol's personality.

[ Spoiler ]
Darquewing
Okay, I've been thinking and, if there is still room for one more, I have an older character idea I had looked at before that might fit well in here. Will start writing some stuff up for him.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Darquewing @ Mar 31 2010, 12:23 PM) *
Okay, I've been thinking and, if there is still room for one more, I have an older character idea I had looked at before that might fit well in here. Will start writing some stuff up for him.

ok, sounds good
DireRadiant
Close, need feedback to respond or adjust as needed.

Litany

GrimWulf
Hey, DR, just looking over your gear. Is there a mistake in the cost's of some of your 'wares? Wired 2 and skillwires as examples.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (GrimWulf @ Mar 31 2010, 05:30 PM) *
Hey, DR, just looking over your gear. Is there a mistake in the cost's of some of your 'wares? Wired 2 and skillwires as examples.

The skillwires and active softs are correct, but the wired reflexes aren't. thanks! Now I got to move more stuff around.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Mar 31 2010, 07:21 PM) *
Close, need feedback to respond or adjust as needed.

Litany

It looks good, I can't wait to hear this character, the lists, the religion, I think its gonna be good. I haven't crunched all the numbers, but she looks about ready. Oh! knowledge skills, whats AK: and IN: ?
EDIT: I see your still working on some details, that last post snuck by me

@ Imperialus: sounds interesting, I guess I'm looking for the rest of the Background, why he left Mongolia, what gives him flashbacks(both the trigger and the event) I'm not demanding the 20 questions, but it really does help.

@Grim wulf: A bad rep comes from specific actions that you are ashamed of or embarrassed about.I think social ineptitude is covered by uncouth, or incompetence. I'd like to know about this pit fighter too
Abschalten
Huh, is it too late to get in on this? I just now saw this recruitment thread. twirl.gif
GrimWulf
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 31 2010, 08:58 PM) *
@GrimWulf: A bad rep comes from specific actions that you are ashamed of or embarrassed about.I think social ineptitude is covered by uncouth, or incompetence. I'd like to know about this pit fighter too

Good point on the bad rep, hadn't read it through well enough. Let's replace that with Thrill Seeker?

Pit fighter:

Yevgeny the Raskolnik, former troll character of mine actually, was lost in a run down in Aztlan while trying to smuggle some tech the long way(land) across the country. Popped up later as an NPC, (wha? he survived?) His right arm now little more than a large scythe, heavily scarred up and much closer to machine then when she was in my control. Seems he'd been picked up after the team was lost. (end of that campaign due to a silly TPK) Been forced into fighting for the amusement of his captors and the crowd. When he'd been introduced then it was more of just a cameo then anything as there was no interaction with him, current character was up in the crowd, and it was a more of an 'oh look. neato' moment for me.

So, fleshing him out some from there...First step, remaking him into a her(Evgenya) for this characters benefit and then I was thinking she's got enough victories under her belt that she doesn't actually fight much anymore, there being not much sport when you know who's to win. Those many wins also gave her somewhat of a celebrity status, so she'd be invited to events and such on the behalf of upper(and lower) citizenry. These events and the fact that she speaks Russian are what got the attention of the Vory, who forgave the fact she's a Raskolnik. The Vory made sure she was able to line her pockets with a little extra cash as long as she passed back any interesting info she picked up.

Evgenya, took to little Gigi when she was staying in Tenochititlan with her friends. She found the large cybered troll fascinating and after weeks of pestering her made her agree to teach the young girl her fighting style.
imperialus
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 31 2010, 08:58 PM) *
It looks good, I can't wait to hear this character, the lists, the religion, I think its gonna be good. I haven't crunched all the numbers, but she looks about ready. Oh! knowledge skills, whats AK: and IN: ?

@ Imperialus: sounds interesting, I guess I'm looking for the rest of the Background, why he left Mongolia, what gives him flashbacks(both the trigger and the event) I'm not demanding the 20 questions, but it really does help.

@Grim wulf: A bad rep comes from specific actions that you are ashamed of or embarrassed about.I think social ineptitude is covered by uncouth, or incompetence. I'd like to know about this pit fighter too

I can do better than that. How about 50 questions?

[ Spoiler ]

Also, as a side note on how I'll handle the language issue. Even though Mongol's English is pretty poor I'm (for the most part) going to write in normal English, and I'm certainly not going to try to convey an accent through typing, I know this breaks verisimilitude somewhat, but it's a pain to type like that and just as big a pain to read. That said I'll try and use simple words whenever possible, and if I think a concept is too difficult for Mongol to convey, he'll either stay silent on the matter or try and communicate some other way.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Mar 31 2010, 10:57 PM) *
Huh, is it too late to get in on this? I just now saw this recruitment thread. twirl.gif

theres still a couple of days, and I'm waiting on some things from others, so its not too late. THat being said, I do want to keep this group small.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Mar 31 2010, 09:58 PM) *

AK is Academic Knowledge and IN is interest, the different types of knowledge skills switch attributes between Logic and Intuition, so I use the acronym to help distinguish.
LurkerOutThere
Red

One important question I wanted to make sure of as otherwise much of the character build falls apart, the build I've got and the mindset is that Light Rivers is very much about asking the digital spirits to aid him and others. As such for the purposes of machine sprite powers do smart linked weapons count as devices? Myself and other gm's I've ran with havn't had a problem with it, but others have found the potential gains very munchy. I need to relook up how group contacts work and then i'll be done with the character.
Red-ROM
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Apr 1 2010, 08:50 PM) *
Red

One important question I wanted to make sure of as otherwise much of the character build falls apart, the build I've got and the mindset is that Light Rivers is very much about asking the digital spirits to aid him and others. As such for the purposes of machine sprite powers do smart linked weapons count as devices? Myself and other gm's I've ran with havn't had a problem with it, but others have found the potential gains very munchy. I need to relook up how group contacts work and then i'll be done with the character.

in what way? I mean, can you use gremlins on them or stabalize? can you fire the gun? I imagine its a device, but its a limited one. A machine sprite can't hack it. but if you get one into the node with the smart link it can command it to fire or eject a clip or whatever. I believe technically its a peripheral device(sr4a 221).
LurkerOutThere
Basically there's a machine sprite power that a machine sprite can add extra dice to tests with the device, (capped by skill plus trait) would you allow this on basically a test to shoot someone with a test with a smart linked gun.

"Spirits of the machine, our enemies are numerous and vile, please bless this Ares Predator™ that it might lay low enemies of the flow"
Red-ROM
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Apr 2 2010, 03:54 PM) *
Basically there's a machine sprite power that a machine sprite can add extra dice to tests with the device, (capped by skill plus trait) would you allow this on basically a test to shoot someone with a test with a smart linked gun.

"Spirits of the machine, our enemies are numerous and vile, please bless this Ares Predator™ that it might lay low enemies of the flow"

ahh so, your munch-fu is very good, The diagnose power, while seemingly intended for repairing things, also gives the sprite a Teamwork roll to "use" a device. I can't find fault with that. I am however using the 20 DP cap. I was gonna mention that when we got the game going.
Red-ROM
ok, its Friday, here's where we're at;

Dire Radiant(Litany): good to go pretty much
Imperialus(Mongol): Thanks for the background, your all set
LurkerOutThere(Light Rivers): just waiting on the character sheet, I hope the sprite situation works for you.
Grim wulf(Noise): I think your good (your gonna be making some composure rolls smile.gif )
Abshalten and Darquewing: are you still interested?
DireRadiant
Thanks for the reviews, I know that always takes a bit of time.

Do you have a plan for the opening scenes or introductions of characters? If there's anything we need to work out as a group of players or help us plan for the opening of the game I'd love to get a head start on it.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Red-ROM @ Apr 2 2010, 10:43 PM) *
ahh so, your munch-fu is very good, The diagnose power, while seemingly intended for repairing things, also gives the sprite a Teamwork roll to "use" a device. I can't find fault with that. I am however using the 20 DP cap. I was gonna mention that when we got the game going.

That shouldn't be an issue, this will just take rivers pistols skills from "Mook" to "Might actually hit something" I'm finishing the character now. Man i've never stated a Ork TM, you run out of points very quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012