Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Robocop Runner, a character idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
crash2029
So I saw Robocop for the first time last week, sad, I know, and the Cyberman thread got me thinking about making a robocop style runner.

Ajax

Statistics

[ Spoiler ]

Background
No good deed goes unpunished. That was basically the motto of Mack Jaeger's life. He joined Seattle Lonestar right after graduation. He naively wanted to be a cop and serve and protect. The reality of his job set in quickly. Still he persevered. He was assigned to Seattle's Highway Patrol division and served there for several years. A few years into his career he was involved in a massive accident. His superiors decided to stuff him with cyberparts to see if largescale prosthesis was a good way to increase officer effiency. Of course the cost of his augmentations would be deducted from his wages. A few years later he was involved in a case of human trafficking. Since the incident happened just over the NAN border and involved SINless cargo his superiors instructed him to drop it. So he passed the intel to some runners in the hope that they would sort it out. They did. Unfortunately they did so with a little too much press. Mack's superiors found out he had passed the info to the runners and fired him to save face. Mack turned to the shadows. After all, with his file he would never get another job as a cop and he realized that he could maintain his honor in the shadows. It would be a good way to acquire the funds to pay off LS and his alimony using his only real skillset.

Design Notes
I went with both born rich and in debt to pay for the massive cyberware costs. He wasn't actually born rich it was just a way to justify the nuyen in a rules fashion. I didn't give him a cyberskull for essence and availability reasons. Those were the same reasons I didn't give him reaction enhancers. Justified by the fact that Robocop was slow. I decided to give him the lower-moderate social abilities to represent the fact that he spent many years as a cop dealing with the public, superiors, lawyers, DA's, ect.

So what do y'all think of my interpretation of Robocop in SR?

*character made using SR4CG_DK_1g
Udoshi
While that is very cool, and I salute you, i do not believe it will be very effective or long lived

You need more passes. Get drugs, edge, something. Roll a human if you have to

Needs Restricted Gear for a cyberskull

Hit up Augmentation, bulk mod the limbs you're able to within the availability limits. Avoid alphawear where you can, cause that doubles the cost of accessories that go inside

cyberlimbs only stat-replace strength, agility and body. So boost reaction, pronto.

every limb nets you extra condition monitor boxes, which means you can take more damage, but also that you have potentially greater wound penalties. Get something to offset that. Qualities, drugs, wear.

Genetic Heritage(adapsin) is pretty much a must(i believe this is the only way to start with adapsin, barring gm intervention), along with biocompatability. No need for Born Rich, just swap it directly.

A full set of basic-grade full body replacements costs 90,000Y and 6.25 essence. With two ten percent reductions(biocomat and adapsin), its right around 5 without going alpha. Consider getting some half-essense bioware to compliment that. A synaptic booster might be appropriate.
crash2029
Cool. Thanks for the reply. I will plug some of those numbers and see what I can get.
crash2029
I did some looking on adapsin. Since it was only introduced to the market in '70 there is no way to have it through Genetic Heritage unless I am playing an infant. Which I am not.

Instead of a cyberskull I went with a tricked out helmet that looks like Robocop's helmet/skull thingy. At the end of the movie he takes the top of his outer head casing off revealing a face. I decided that justified my not spending the essence and nuyen.gif on a cyberskull when a helmet will do.

By using some of your ideas I reduced his limbs to standard, stuck the sim module in his left arm, and turned the eyes alpha. I now can afford it all without born rich. So now I have a way to get the nuyen.gif for synaptic boosters but with only ~0.1 essence there is no way to survive it.

Thanks for the feedback. I welcome more ideas!
Udoshi
Genetic Heritage lets you start the game with Any One genetic alteration for free. Since you're not buying it conventially, the quality kind of doesn't care about the item text. So, it IS doable. But yes, its a rules-lawyery-shtick, and most people are going to say no, because it doesn't make sense. Heck, I probably would, but that doesn't stop me from mentioning it as a possibility.

That being said. Autoinjectors cost you next to nothing, and you should get some, because there are some really good drugs in shadowrun.

Second-hand nanohives go great in cyberlimbs. Clustered(unwired) Datajacks ought to let you run pretty much any software you want. Alphawared ones(device rating 4) are cheap for what you get.

Restricted Gear for cyberlimbs ought to raise the availability cap to 20 on those, which gives you more room to Customize/Bulk mod them.

Check out augmentation/arsenal's sensors/implants. There's some overlap, but a radar system in one of the limbs/torso ought to be the least you can do.

I would consider half-alphawaring what you can, for essence discount. The torso, or legs. In Play, you can always trade out your limbs for those of higher grade, and use the essence hole to snag more ware. In fact, second-hand alphawear is pretty much better in every way than basic grade.

If you can free up the essence, a second-hand Synaptic Booster is a great way to make the nuyen cost managable - and the essence cost isn't so bad, because bioware is low anyway, and it gets half off due to being the lesser of cyber/bio.
Omenowl
Adapsin has an availability 16 so that limits the fact a player can get it unless they get restricted gear.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Apr 2 2010, 10:56 PM) *
I did some looking on adapsin. Since it was only introduced to the market in '70 there is no way to have it through Genetic Heritage unless I am playing an infant. Which I am not.

Instead of a cyberskull I went with a tricked out helmet that looks like Robocop's helmet/skull thingy. At the end of the movie he takes the top of his outer head casing off revealing a face. I decided that justified my not spending the essence and nuyen.gif on a cyberskull when a helmet will do.

By using some of your ideas I reduced his limbs to standard, stuck the sim module in his left arm, and turned the eyes alpha. I now can afford it all without born rich. So now I have a way to get the nuyen.gif for synaptic boosters but with only ~0.1 essence there is no way to survive it.

Thanks for the feedback. I welcome more ideas!

Play an escaped clone with the genetic heritage feat.
Omenowl
Also do not put points into agility, strength or body. Cyberlimbs give you a 3 already and you increase them by taking up capacity. I would just take the restricted quality for adapsin and be done with it instead of genetic heritage.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Omenowl @ Apr 3 2010, 08:40 PM) *
Also do not put points into agility, strength or body. Cyberlimbs give you a 3 already and you increase them by taking up capacity. I would just take the restricted quality for adapsin and be done with it instead of genetic heritage.

Have you even read Adapsin? Restricted gear doesn't work for that. We all wish it did, but it doesn't, unless you have an -exceptionally- lenient GM.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Apr 3 2010, 05:49 PM) *
If you can free up the essence, a second-hand Synaptic Booster is a great way to make the nuyen cost managable - and the essence cost isn't so bad, because bioware is low anyway, and it gets half off due to being the lesser of cyber/bio.

You can't get second-hand synaptic booster. The Booster is cultured bioware and therefore useless when removed from the person it was implanted into.
Udoshi
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 3 2010, 09:03 PM) *
You can't get second-hand synaptic booster. The Booster is cultured bioware and therefore useless when removed from the person it was implanted into.

... thats a my bad. Good catch. I was thinking it worked like second hand alphaware for a minute there. Yes, you're absolutely correct.
crash2029
I don't want to go the secondhand ware route. I know that it's fine rules-wise but it just seems gross to me. The thought of having a secondhand implant wierds me out.

@ Mordinvan: While that sounds really cool it would unfortunately clash bigtime with the characters story and ex-cop concept. Though I may have to come up with an escaped clone of a superspy now...
hobgoblin
heh, could be that lone star or some other corp have grabbed dna from multiple high performing cops, and others, and is trying to build a "super cop" based on that data. Think warforms, human style.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012