Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drop Bears in SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
kjones
Carnivorous koala. Drop down on unsuspecting prey from trees.

The way to tell if there's one above you is to tilt your head back and spit directly upwards - if there's a drop bear above you, it will spit back.
Reaganstorme
In Shadowrun, they're awakened koalas infected with something like HMHVV II, aka Vampire Koala Bears. In reality, they're more of a nuisance pest than anything else, killing only 6-7 backpackers per year. Of course the media only says that they're missing, but you correlate the data, and, well, you can work it out. Preferred mode of attack is falling out of Eucalyptus trees onto unsuspecting victims, so the best defense is a helmet with a spike on top. NEVER go bushwalking without wearing one.

We won't talk about the one Taronga zoo mistakenly had in their Koala Encounter... the visitors sure weren't expecting to have to deal with facial reconstructive surgery whilst on holiday, THATS for sure.
nezumi
QUOTE (kjones @ Apr 11 2010, 11:01 AM) *
The way to tell if there's one above you is to tilt your head back and spit directly upwards - if there's a drop bear above you, it will spit back.

He is giving away our secrets!! Get 'im!
kjones
There are those who want to contain this information, but I happen to believe that the safety of mankind is more important than ethnic snobbery.

So I'll tell you what THEY don't want you to know: drop bears can also be warded off by spreading toothpaste behind your ears, as they find the smell repulsive. Keep that in mind the next time you're traveling through the outback.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine bush guide in Australia for $500 Australian (that's about 450 USD) and have been traveling with him for almost 2 years now. I can even cross deserts of solid sand with my bush guide.
Australians spend years working on a single bush guide and send them on walkabout up to a million times to produce the finest bush guides known to mankind.
Australian bush guides are thrice as tough as European guides and thrice as strong for that matter too. Anything a European can guide you across, an Australian can guide across better. I'm pretty sure an Australian could easily guide a knight wearing full plate with a simple set of directions.
Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Australia? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined bush guides and their compasses of orienteering. Even in World War II, American soldiers trusted the men with the pith hats first because their guiding power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Australians are simply the best bush guides that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the SR4 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Bush Guides:
(Cyberware/bioware bush guide) 450 BP, +2 to all die pools, counts as Prime Runner
(Awakened bush guide) 500 BP, free Magician/Adept/Mystic Adept quality, +5 to all die pools, counts as Prime Runner
Now that seems a lot more representative of the guiding power of bush guides in real life, don't you think?
Angelone
THUMP?!?

Btw- Pith helmets do nothing against Drop Bears.
Chrome Tiger
Sorry, that link to the Koalla Adventure had a picture that screamed "Photochop me!"

Drop Bears gonna getcha!
Dumori
I think fistandantilus4.0 might want a new avatar now nyahnyah.gif

Edit: Ive spent a god minuet tabbing between the two images now .gif worthy stuff XD
Brazilian_Shinobi
Want to see what probably originated the Drop Bears? Eight Misbehavin' episode from Simpsons, near the end of the episode, Apu and Homer infiltrate the zoo to rescue Apu's kids. Apu mentions how the animals behave different at night and the scene jumps to three koalas eating a deer and one of them LAUGHS!
Pepsi Jedi
Naa I've known about the horrors that are Drop bears for a few decades.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Dumori @ Apr 11 2010, 02:44 PM) *
I think fistandantilus4.0 might want a new avatar now nyahnyah.gif

I do!

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi)
Naa I've known about the horrors that are Drop bears for a few decades.

Fixed:Naa I've known about the horrors wonders that are Drop bears for a few decades.
Reaganstorme
Delicious smokey flavour when grilled over a traditional Aussie bush barbecue. Its not as tough a meat as wombat, but not as lean as crocodile. Bugger to catch though.
Angelone
That's what my minions say about some people. I take their word for it.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I just want to say this for the record...

I'd kick a drop bear's ass!

You know, that regeneration power they have is quite usefull. You can get so many pelts off of one captive drop bear! The fur industry is sure to profit.
Ryu
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ Apr 21 2010, 10:39 PM) *

You know, that regeneration power they have is quite usefull. You can get so many pelts off of one captive drop bear! The fur industry is sure to profit.

That idea of a strategy explains why you are the last.
nezumi
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ Apr 21 2010, 04:39 PM) *

Yes, yes, perhaps you are correct.

It's a shame for you that drop bears always travel in pods.

(platoons?)
Blue DragonFly
One ponders why the female platypi have no poison barbs on their hind legs...
Grexul
Think about it...

Grexul
Blue DragonFly
I went to wikipedia myself last night and learned that platypi is wrong... we should be saying platypuses or platypodes or platypoda. Weird. But the great wiki could be wrong.

I totally want to see a sports team named the Fighting Playpodes now. Or maybe and Urban Brawl team?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012