Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Internet Player desired
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
Wandering One
The short version:

On Sundays I GM a game with two players. It was supposed to be four but the hubby/wife who were going to get involved got ran over with RL. We've finished 3 runs so far and synergy is good, but could use more players. I'm specifically looking for 1 player, maybe 2, at the moment. We primarily will need a Hacker and a Sammy. We've got a combat mage and a face/B&E (abilities debateable but it makes for some tense moments... smile.gif ). Other concepts will not be rejected out of hand but these are primary necessities at the moment, though I've got some IC methods to deal with it as well. A good rigger could make up for the sammie in ways, or the hacker, for example. We play consistently every weekend except for special occassions and are expecting a solid commital from anyone who wants to join us.

Details:
We play over AOL chat, it's free, and lends itself to necessary private discussions as well without banging up the main play window's tempo. Been debating on buying Vent to setup a server but that's a different discussion. We play on Sundays at 11AM PST to 3PM PST (that's 2PM-6PM EST). The group itself is RP-centric, so if you're not into medium to heavy roleplay rather then a constant dice-fest, this isn't the game for you. The flavor of the game is downright deadly. Milk and Cookie runs can get you killed, AAA corps are out of their league still. (EX: A gang leader/Johnson was double fireballed ritually for annoying another gang that's associated with Aztechnology. He didn't make it.) Admittedly part of this is due to a limited team, but I don't want anyone surprised when the guards split up in 5 directions to avoid getting pounded by grenades or that AAA guard squads patrolling the place have a little astral backup chilling out for counterspelling and know where to run for ward bunkers and the like.

The game itself is based in Denver with a relaxed ruleset under Ghostwalker, and is not pure canon. Of specific note is that the internal borders currently aren't sealed or checkpointed internally, but that's liable to change in the near future due to IC events. Leaving the city is a different discussion altogether. Laws have been decreed against the usage of rfids in food products, and they must be wiped when you purchase an item and are leaving the store (Your underwear and your stuffer shack snacks are not your enemy). We haven't nailed things down onto the map and I'm a little behind in my world lore, so what you EXPECT in Denver is not always going to be there... though I'm willing to discuss anything, and am catching up slowly.

General GM and game style is sandbox. What you do *does* affect the world though, and impact can vary. My runs are usually designed more fluidly then mission styles, which makes for a more dynamic game, but you've got to deal with a GM working on the fly on occassion if you decide to derail the couple of options I sketched out as most likely events. smile.gif

Some base CC rules:
Runner Companion special breeds are out, as are technomancers. I'm still getting a handle on the new matrix and there's enough debate on their 'broken-ness' that I'm at the 'one thing at a time' stage. Char creation is karmagen, all books are open for discussion/approval though, unless specifically restricted. I would prefer, due to the current players, to avoid anyone who's got schizophrenia, a great desire to tote their panzer assault through town on their volkswagon's roof, or any other serious social malfunctions. They can be fun to play (and play with) but not in this environment.

Character sheets/concepts/questions can be brought up here or PM me. I'll be looking for significant backgrounds after a week or two of play to see if you want to stay with the group, but at the beginning reasonable blurbs and char concepts will help tremendously. New and old players are welcome, I'm more interested in good team synergy and char design then someone who knows every rule by heart (though that couldn't hurt either).

That was a lot more wordy then I originally expected so I'll stop now and see if there's interest before going further.
Levithix
I would be all for that! I could do any of those roles.
Tymire
Sounds like a lot of fun here too.

In regards to playing online Skype (for voice, messages, file transfer, ect.) and maptools both work great. Only bad thing about maptools is range on a map and how far things actually are if that makes sense. However, that applies to all of those programs (for example if sniping you are WAY off the map).
Awry
I'd like to play as well (unless it's a first-come first-serve deal). I have a character partially made, but the GM has suddenly canceled the game it was made for. It's a stealthy character, with some combat ability. He relies on deception, superior senses, and surprise to take down enemies. I'm ready to change it, though, if you think it doesn't really fit the group. I'd also like to talk to you about it, preferably via IM.

Oh, I'd also like to speak in favor of MapTool. It's really useful and easy to use (unless you have some sort of obscure router configuration going).
Wandering One
So, I need to look into the software Maptool, I guess. Can't hurt none. smile.gif

@Levithix and Tymire: Glad to hear you're interested. I'd like to see some baseline characters/concepts for the moment.

@Awry: We currently have a stealthy/B&E guy (B&E = Break in and Entry) and since I'm trying to keep the group very tight at the moment, that'd be an overlap I wouldn't be looking for right now. However, the suprise and deception portions will fit very well into what we do. A modification to combat primary with a secondary stealth could fit nicely.

Regarding hitting me up on IM my current IM is also one I use at work, so that's not really an option I'd prefer to expose publically here. If you have some broad brush strokes for ideas, I'd rather see them, and then we can arrange to discuss them in more detail.

It's not going to exactly be first-come, first-serve. It'll be first approved, first-served. smile.gif I want to give a little time to folks who usually don't post every day to check the thread and find interest, and I want to find a solid fit, which is more intuition then equation... and tomorrow's run is built for 2 people. smile.gif
Awry
Ah. In that case, I'll ask some of my questions here. Firstly, I recently made this post asking for a few clarifications regarding drones and sensors (my character will use spy drones quite a bit; in fact, in many cases, he'll have a drone just following him around. He's paranoid like that.) Could you answer them for me?

I'd also like to talk to the players, to ask what they need most. Incidentally, you said that one of the players is B&E; what is the other one?

Oh, are we using some sort of copy protection for programs? If so, could you explain how it works? (I want to load some programs into agents & drones in addition to having them on my comm)
Wandering One
QUOTE (Awry @ Apr 10 2010, 12:59 PM) *
Ah. In that case, I'll ask some of my questions here. Firstly, I recently made this post asking for a few clarifications regarding drones and sensors (my character will use spy drones quite a bit; in fact, in many cases, he'll have a drone just following him around. He's paranoid like that.) Could you answer them for me?

I'll take a poke at it, but I don't have as much time as I'd like today to research rules.

QUOTE (Awry)
I'd also like to talk to the players, to ask what they need most. Incidentally, you said that one of the players is B&E; what is the other one?

QUOTE (Wandering One)
We've got a combat mage and a face/B&E (abilities debateable but it makes for some tense moments... ).

One of them comes through here on occassion, the other doesn't post to dumpshock. I'm wary of giving out their IM's for the same reason as giving out my own. I'll mention to them that someone's asked them to stop in. I make no promises.

QUOTE (Awry)
Oh, are we using some sort of copy protection for programs? If so, could you explain how it works? (I want to load some programs into agents & drones in addition to having them on my comm)

Easiest way of thinking of Copy Protection in 2070 is constantly registered apps with the home office. It's usually more of a concern for hackers as they leave datatrails with it. I don't want to do Vista level book-keeping, so if you've got copy protection, you get one stored location for the software, and one active instance of it running. The trade off to removing it is that it will degrade. This is a long-term campaign so that's an issue here.
SQLCowboy
QUOTE (Awry @ Apr 10 2010, 11:59 AM) *

I'm one of the players. I'm playing the combat mage (Druid actually, but that's all to be learned IC smile.gif )

I'm open to chatting either here or on IM if someone has any questions. AIM: JaysenCA

Triggvi
I have an orc (shotgun/sniper rifle) slinging adept good stealth. If you need a street sam.
Wandering One
To be more clear, since apparently I wasn't. I'm as interested in char design and concept as I am in interest in the campaign. I've received a few PMs as well, which indicate this wasn't obvious. I realize that building a character out from scratch before you know if you even get to use him can be time consuming, but I'd like more of the concept and any 'stand out' skill/build components you're expecting to use then 'hacker who rides the trix and pirates stuff'.

I'm trying to avoid a questions scenario since people fluff chars in their head differently (IE: I want a guy who's going to go 7/7 attr+skill in something and see where it takes me) and build from the character sheets, and others concept the char and then fit the skills in.

So, for everyone who's asking me if there's still room in the campaign for you and your "x", I've only received one possibility that's under serious review at the moment. And please, for both our sakes, I don't want the essay portion right now, either. smile.gif Give me the cliff notes. (Yes, there's a balance between the two, honest...)

As mentioned above but is worth re-iterating, this campaign is as heavy RP as it is rules-engrossed. "I con the guy" will get the answer of "How, what are you conning him into?" from me. The answer of "With my skill" and a blank look is a failure. Yes I use the fast-forward button as needed to keep things moving but the RP is our primary, thus my above request.
Levithix
As a preliminary concept, I'm thinking an elven street sam with a bit of technical expertise who was disowned by his parents (who were powerfully human supremacists) and grew up on the streets, he became rather knowledgeable about firearms and use of the matrix while doing whatever jobs he could do in order to feed himself.
Awry
Here I don't think I'm allowed to post PMs yet. This is the general concept. I have some more background information, but it can wait. Do you want the full sheet now, or only if I get in?
Wandering One
QUOTE (Awry @ Apr 12 2010, 03:37 PM) *
Here I don't think I'm allowed to post PMs yet. This is the general concept. I have some more background information, but it can wait. Do you want the full sheet now, or only if I get in?

In response: Drone rulings to come, bear with me, my life is not currently conducive to large volumes of spare time, but hopefully will clear by midweek.

Character concept refused due to this:
He has an overwhelming desire ('need' may be a better word) to observe and control events around him, especially those involving other people.

Please see above:
I would prefer, due to the current players, to avoid anyone who's got schizophrenia, a great desire to tote their panzer assault through town on their volkswagon's roof, or any other serious social malfunctions. They can be fun to play (and play with) but not in this environment.

Yes I did read the rest, however this as a baseline for the character's concept is overly intrusive and not something I want involved. Chuck this part and the underlying cause and the rest is usable, and we can work on some less... intense flaws for him.
Awry
Oh frown.gif I kind of forgot about that.

I think you're overestimate his insanity. All that happens is that he's suspicious of everyone he meets, is really meticulous about surveillance, and gets jittery if his 24-7 network of spy drones is on the fritz. Those things are practically *healthy*

Can I just 'not say' he has any disorders and he can do these things anyway?
Wandering One
As described above, you're right, it's healthy (especially in SR), which is why the majority of the rest of the bio would pass. OCD, Legitimate (not trained) paranoia, and control issues built into the character's bio are scenario unfriendly.

So, to answer your question, yes. For another portion of the bio, I need to understand if you are planning on taking the SINner flaw and Day Job flaw as well, as that's the only way you'd be working for mainstream security.
Awry
I meant that these disorders manifest in generally what is described above. To sum it up:

a) He distrusts unknown people on principle, and has difficulty interacting with them. This might translate to a penalty on using all social skills on non-contacts and low-loyalty contacts.
b) He is both consciously determined and unconsciously compelled to maintain control and/or observation at all times. This is generally accomplished via his surveillance network, planning before a job, and his intimate knowledge of security. If he losses his grasp on the situation, he would have to make a composure test or suffer a -1 to -4 penalty on all tests (depending what exactly happened). Luckily, he doesn't lose his grasp on the situation often (though 'grasp' may be a subjective term here).

These qualities, as you agree, can be interpreted as positive (which might be the source of the extra karma he would get from them -- it would go to Perception, Security, Stealth, and similar). Other than that, he is fairly normal (for a 'runner, at least).

I can refrain from calling these things disorders, merely 'traits,' but I don't see the point of doing that.

As for the SIN, probably (perhaps it was arranged by one of the companies he has worked for). He isn't working for a security firm now, though.

Edit: Uhh... we're using 750K? Uhh... you do know the result is much better than BP, right?
SQLCowboy
So when you first meet the rest of the players characters, you're going to be all paranoid and untrusting of the people who essentially you HAVE to trust for this to be a fun game for the rest of us? Not sure I like that as a fellow player...
Wandering One
QUOTE (Awry @ Apr 13 2010, 08:34 AM) *
Edit: Uhh... we're using 750K? Uhh... you do know the result is much better than BP, right?

750k? 750 karma I assume you mean. Yes, I do know, it's also more rounded and helps me avoid the MisterMiniMaximus issues.

As to the character, the insistance on the basic personality flaws describes to me a need for an in character reason to be a schmuck. Character refused. Thank you though, and if you have other possibilities you'd like to play I'm interested in reviewing those in this one's place. He's not the general character type I was looking to introduce anyway.
Wandering One
Thanks to all who were interested, I've found two players able to meet our needs and am going to work with them for now. If spots open up again I'll contact you again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012