Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When did Missions start?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Clutch9800
Hey,

When did "Missions" as we know them today start? John Dunn can answer this better than anyone else I assume. But my main question is:

Was "Missions" my idea?

I honestly cannot remember.

Scott "Clutch" Taylor
Bull
QUOTE (Clutch9800 @ Apr 15 2010, 12:01 PM) *
Hey,

When did "Missions" as we know them today start? John Dunn can answer this better than anyone else I assume. But my main question is:

Was "Missions" my idea?

I honestly cannot remember.

Scott "Clutch" Taylor

Hey Clutch.

Missions started up shortly after D&D 3rd came out, and the RPGA/WotC decided to shut down all non-D&D related RPGA events. The first season of MIssions was started up by Bitrunner, aka Rich Osterhaut, after talking with Rob Boyle some. Rich had been running Virtual Seattle at the tail end of the RPGA stuff. He could likely tell you a bit more on the specifics though.

I know he was the one who approached Rob about continuing Virtual Seattle in some manner (I remember talking with him at Gen Con that year). I'm not sure baout the specific developments though after that, as I wasn't involved.

Bull
SaintHax
Ah... the glory days. *sigh* wink.gif

Back then company support was pretty close to nil, it was basically that Rob agreed to allow us to be official. It was started mid 2003, and Bull is right. When the RPGA shut down Virtual Seattle and all other non-d20 systems, SRM (later to be SRM00-xx missions) was born. Then Rich got married, got a new job, ran short on time and turned the campaign over to John (iirc) for the Denver series.

Citation: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=930&hl=
Clutch9800
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 15 2010, 06:48 PM) *
Hey Clutch.

Missions started up shortly after D&D 3rd came out, and the RPGA/WotC decided to shut down all non-D&D related RPGA events. The first season of MIssions was started up by Bitrunner, aka Rich Osterhaut, after talking with Rob Boyle some. Rich had been running Virtual Seattle at the tail end of the RPGA stuff. He could likely tell you a bit more on the specifics though.

I know he was the one who approached Rob about continuing Virtual Seattle in some manner (I remember talking with him at Gen Con that year). I'm not sure baout the specific developments though after that, as I wasn't involved.

Bull

That's right!

It's kinda foggy but you did jog some neurons loose in my noodle. I think Rob introduced me to Rich so that we could use the Commando Program to manage Missions. I remember that I really wanted to do something for Shadowrun that was along the lines of BT's "Martial Olympiad". I ended up trying to do something like "Desert Wars", but it died on the vine.

Yeah, Bitrunner. He was a good guy.

Thanks!

Clutch
Zolhex
QUOTE (Clutch9800 @ Apr 15 2010, 03:11 PM) *
Yeah, Bitrunner. He was a good guy.

Clutch

He IS a good guy!
Bull
Last I talked to him, he was doing stuff for Alpha Omega.
Zolhex
Yes, yes he is.

He was at Megacon running games this year.

I liked it reading through the book a bit at a time now and working to grow interest with my home gameing group.
Clutch9800
QUOTE (Casazil @ Apr 15 2010, 08:26 PM) *
Yes, yes he is.

He was at Megacon running games this year.

I liked it reading through the book a bit at a time now and working to grow interest with my home gameing group.

It's good to hear he's doing well and still in the mix.

When you see him again please give him my regards.

Clutch
SaintHax
QUOTE (Clutch9800 @ Apr 15 2010, 06:13 PM) *
It's good to hear he's doing well and still in the mix.

When you see him again please give him my regards.

Clutch

I'll see him tomorrow when he runs AlphaOmega for us, and I run a SRM (Block Party) for the home group. He's very much in the "mix" and Mind Storm Labs has allowed him to be much more involved than what SRM did at the time (maybe now days too, but I don't know). I believe he's authored at least one book for them, I know he's edited some, and there's a new Living campaign for them, which I have to believe he's over. Even though we play home games, I don't have all the AO details as I've been mainly just running Exalted for them (2 hour drive since I moved from Orlando to Tampa, which kills me).

Anyway, I'll give him your best; and if you are at GenCon, he'll be running AO games and at the Mind Storm Labs booth.

p.s. Virtual Seattle, which spawned SRM, was started by someone else. When Bitrunner took VS over, I believe he was the 3rd directory, and I can't remember the guys name (out of Austrailia) who was running it prior anymore.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Apr 16 2010, 06:37 AM) *
p.s. Virtual Seattle, which spawned SRM, was started by someone else. When Bitrunner took VS over, I believe he was the 3rd directory, and I can't remember the guys name (out of Austrailia) who was running it prior anymore.

Wes Nicholson

I believe he still is involved with the RPGA.

Prior to Wes it was Ron & Margaret Heintz.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012