Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Review: SRM03-03 Burning Bridges
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
SaintHax
After playing this mod at GenCon 2009, I finally have read it. I feel for the most part this was a well written mod for what it was.

The fixer meeting was a nice change that will probably go unnoticed by many. The location and GM detail set the adventure in motion, and the box text was (thankfully) missing any annoying statements that have nothing to do with your character-- nothing that stated you were broke, even though you are playing at TR5/6 and can't decide how to spend your next 100k of nuyen. The mod also gave references to where things are located in your collection of books to look up (GM's everywhere rejoice).

What it is: it's really one big strategic puzzle to solve. There's very little story to be had, but plenty of opportunity to circumvent security and defenses-- or possibly hammer your way through the problem, though I'd guess that would be very messy. IMO, these normally play better with 4-5 players and more than that you normally have enough table discussion as to drag you down. Little story, but very detailed mod.

What I didn’t' like about it, was it didn't scale well. Despite the normal scaling problems, the idea didn't scale to me. This mission should be something that TR4+ pulls off. It would have been a good Prime Runner mod. A green table executing this successfully feels off. Overall it was fun to play, but probably not one I'll talk about later. The difficulty kept me attentive at the table, but the lack of a plot keeps it from being something I'm going to "ew" and "ah" over.
Black Jack Rackham
Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear the good (and bad) about my mods.

I agree that one of the most irritating things about the Denver Mods was the "You're-perpetually-broke-and-here's-how-you-feel" So very early in my writing I worked very hard to ensure that I left the roleplaying to the players.

The real purpose of the module was twofold. It opened the possiblility of a NYPD Inc. subplot (through events I outlined for the original in In and Out). It also allowed me to introduce Peace Man (who later was added to an earlier adventure, thus making this moot) who is the central figure for the three adventure storyarc I had planned as the main subplot for my additions to NYC Missions (you can play the first two Jackknifed! and Food Poisioning, but alas, the third titled A Pound of Flesh will not see the light of day frown.gif ).

Mark

EDIT: and for my money I agree with the scaling issue. I just thought Missions gives so few chances to simply Go Crazy with Explosives that someone ought to help out.
Wasabi
[ Spoiler ]
RobertB
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Apr 22 2010, 07:36 AM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Since I was the rigger in question, let me post my thoughts:

[ Spoiler ]

I run a home game, and my players will tell you that I hate it when an adventure breaks what I consider a "reality" for the setting.

BTW, I don't post this to break the author's balls. You certainly don't see me submitting any adventure ideas. But I do post this to perhaps give a little insight into character motivations for future mod writers. Thanks for reading.

Robert (aka Spanner)
SaintHax
@RobertB, that's my motivation for posting reviews-- and I'll get around to all the mods. Many of us will play them all just b/c they are SRM mods and we are karma junkies. However, the hope is the feedback gives SRM staff (who edit and advise) and writers an idea of what we like, don't like, and how a subsection of us roleplay.

[ Spoiler ]

BTW, I'm definitely against extra rewards for taking a White Dove option. That implies a different playing style is better than another. It should be an equal reward.
Bull
As a note, I'm definitely reading the reviews. Please keep them up. smile.gif

Granted, Dumpshock is a very small and specialized sampling, and we also have some feedback we've gotten at the conventions, but still... Any feedback is better than no feedback.

We're hitting BUrning Bridges in a couple weeks with our home SRM game. It should be interesting to see how the other players react. Since I've GMed this one, I'll be playing a bit more passibly, letting the rest of the group make the decisions and plans. But then, RUsh is pretty amoral, and he's not really much of a planner. So it works out smile.gif

Bull
DWC
I actually really enjoyed Burning Bridges. It's probably my favorite Missions module to date. You are presented with a puzzle, then given an amount of time to solve it, with a few constraints beyond the normal for the story arc. A few twists get thrown in, but most of it still boils down to find a solution to the problem and implement it. Along the way, there's plenty of time for the character to reflect on the actions the job requires, and a huge amount of leeway in how the puzzle is solved.

I'd also like to chime in against adding white dove options to Missions. Instead, I like the idea of making allowances for players to swap to a different character after the first scene (but before the Affiliation tasks come out) if the pitch for the job is something the PC wouldn't do.

Warlordtheft
In spoiler tags to not give the mission away, but here are my quips/comment:

[ Spoiler ]
rumanchu
My group took to the mission like a duck to water...but we *did* have a funny moment in our RP Wave between sessions.

[ Spoiler ]
LurkerOutThere
Just ran this a few days ago, still hoping for a chance to play it commentary is below:

[ Spoiler ]

Addendum: I'm not ragging on the module it was quite enjoyable to play and run it just felt like there were some kind of glaring oversites, perhaps by design. Additionally thank you thank you thank you for not repeating the ridiculous "your broke and you feel bad" trend from Denver.
rumanchu
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Apr 28 2010, 10:37 AM) *
Just ran this a few days ago, still hoping for a chance to play it commentary is below:

[ Spoiler ]

Addendum: I'm not ragging on the module it was quite enjoyable to play and run it just felt like there were some kind of glaring oversites, perhaps by design. Additionally thank you thank you thank you for not repeating the ridiculous "your broke and you feel bad" trend from Denver.

You know, the funny thing is

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012