Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the Crimson Sun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
fistandantilus4.0
By mid-day the line into the city has become much shorter. The groups seem separated by travelers on foot and merchants, although the larger wagons go through a different gate. Templars, guards, and half-giant sentries stand vigilant watching and inspecting those who seek entry. Aust sees more than one directed or pulled to the side, quickly and efficiently searched. Coin changes hands more than once.

Beyond the clothes, the change made from Tyrian coin to Urikite on the purchase may help to disguise them a little further.
SinN
With Hukenna in tow, they approach the entrance to the city, appearing non-hostile and cooperative. He holds his bag at the ready for the guard to inspect, signaling Hukenna to do the same.
fistandantilus4.0
The yellow robed templars wait in the shade, watching over the proceedings as the guards inspect each person as they come forward. The guard who waits for them looks like he's been at it all day and is absolutely done with this shit. He looks the pair over with clear suspicion in his eyes.

.... Purpose in Urik?
SinN
Aust puts his best smile forward. Trying to mirror some of the merchants he's dealt with in the past. Or perhaps even Jace.

We are here to inquire about purchasing slaves. I hear the market in Urik is the best around. Keeping his words short and sweet in case he has to eat them later.

I hate that I had to say that out loud.
fistandantilus4.0
The guard looks at him more suspiciously.
Elves buying slaves? And just two of you?

Roll Con
SinN
Charisma +2
Bluff +4
Persuasive +2
Roll= 19
Total= 27

No, no good sir. I said we are here to inquire about purchasing slaves. If the price is good then I will be back with our employer in order to secure a purchase. Every good business man scopes out the product before putting
any good coin towards it. We wish to make sure the slaves here are of good enough quality for a decent price.
fistandantilus4.0
His considering look lingers but he nods slowly. Let's see your coin so we know you're not all wind.
SinN
He pulls out the Urakite coin and shows it to the guard.

As you can see, I am not prepared to purchase the slaves now. This is just traveling money. Food and bed and all of that. Speaking of which, I could really use a bit of both. Know any good spots to recommend?
fistandantilus4.0
The guardsman looks him over again although this time not with skepticism but disdain. He's no longer suspicious of Aust of being anything other than an elf.
Try the elven market. They'll have a place for you there. Move along. With one last look he gestures the two of them into the city.

Entering Urik under the watchful eyes of templars and soldiers Aust can't help but remember the not so long ago war when he fought men like these on the sands. Huukenna also looks to be thinking of more than the now although she's careful to school her expression and fill the silence with meaningless prattle about the sights and sounds. They walk through thirty feet of tunnel, passing through Urik's legendary walls until emerging into the city it's self.

Entering into a large plaza and thoroughfare Aust can quickly see Urik is laid out in a much more orderly fashion than organic Tyr. City streets are straight and wide, laid out with precision and purpose. Inner curtain walls can be seen in the distance separating different districts, as well as guard posts and towers. When Rikus invaded the city two years ago it must have been a battle for every inch they gained. Whatever the past Aust sees no lingering signs of the battle that took place here.

Having been to Urik before not quite a year ago the city isn't completely foreign to the two elves. The elven market may be a useful place for spell components and other illicit goods but not a safe place for putting out feelers for the veil. Almost reading his mind Huukenna nudges him towards the Tradesman's district.
SinN
Aust takes her lead and moves towards the Tradesmen District. He paces along with Huukena, feeling a bit out of place in the great city. Thoughts of his first time in Tyr come to light.

The next half-elf in distress I see is shit out of luck.

He turns to Huukena, whispering in Elvish.

Where do you suppose we start looking for Veil Members?
fistandantilus4.0
Looking around suspiciously while trying to not look suspicious or nervous she leans towards him.

Wine houses and markets I think. They used some of the same signals here as they did in Tyr .... last time we were here anyway. Who knows what will happen if we give the wrong signal. Maybe nothing. Whatever happens though I doubt it will be quickly.
SinN
Lets start with the markets. It will be easier to duck into crowds should we need to make a get away. He motions for her to follow him as he begins to make his way to the market district, casually.
fistandantilus4.0
As it always is in Urik the market is buzzing with activity. So many sights, sounds, and smells constantly vie for attention it seems almost impossible to find anything until Urik's forceful order becomes clear. Shops, tents, and booths are organized is a specific layout with planned precision. The locals all seem to know the rhyme and reason without thinking twice about it, while templars are ever present to make sure no one steps far out of line. Even beggars remain confined within the "beggar zones".

Having a great amount of familiarity with cites and markets, Aust knows this will be a place to step carefully. The elven market will definitely be more likely to offer spell components and other contraband, and therefore probably have more wizards hidden within. But there's no way to know the difference between a defiler or preserver until it's too late, and both will have business there. The Alliance is more likely to scout certain areas of the city market, he just needs to stay to areas a sorcerer might be interested in, while not attracting the wrong sort of attention.
SinN
Aust wanders about from booth to booth, observing wares in feigned interest. Doing his best to spot useful items, people who appear interesting, and signs of Alliance members or activity.

Surely, there must be some way this cities Alliance members signal others. I just need to keep my eyes peeled.

Spot check for interesting items, possible components
Roll=14
Spot +4
Elf Trait +4
Wis Mod +1
Total=23

Spot check for anyone who stands out as a possible sorcerer/sorceress
Roll= 13
Spot +4
Elf Trait +4
Wis Mod +1
Total= 22

Spot for clues or hints for Veiled Alliance members. Such as, signals, sigils, codes or hidden messages written anywhere or spoken aloud.
Roll= Nat goddamn 20
Spot +4
Elf Trait +4
Wis Mod +1
Total= 29

fistandantilus4.0
Wandering the city market for an hour or more, Aust and Huukenna take in the eerily familiar sights and sounds of Urik. The war wasn't that long ago. On the desert sands, these people were the enemy. Now they're just people going about their lives. Customs and styles differ, and now Aust hears the Urikite tongue being spoken in ways other than shouts and orders.

The first sign Aust notes is a familiar marking pattern on a large jug. Having wandered into the potters section of the artisan's district, jugs, pots, urns and amphoras of all shapes and sizes surround them. The symbols are subtle, just a series of geometric designs and paintings of figures depicted in the clay here and there in one of the shops. While they aren't exactly the same as those used in Tyr, they are similar enough to get his attention.

Conversely, the shop keepers and merchants manning the stalls are watching the pair of elves with a sharp eye. Well used to thieves and pick pockets, Aust and Huukenna stand out enough here to draw a second glance, although no one is exactly staring. The human man behind the counter selling the pots which have caught Aust's eye has a weathered look to him, perhaps in his late thirties, with a thick curling beard and dark hair common to Urik. The robe he wears bears similar designs to many of the pots, suggesting he or someone close to him made the pots or the designs as well as his clothing. He has no apparent weapons, but with templars ever present and watchful in the market, he probably doesn't need one.
SinN
Aust puts on his best smile. Toothy and full of as much charm as the city elf can muster.

Good sir! I must say, I am impressed with this craftsmanship. Did you make all of these yourself?
fistandantilus4.0
The man bobs his head left to right, a Urikite nod.
Yes, yes, myself and my family. My son, he has good hands too, yes? Come, see. What do you think?

The man looks about as caution as any other human dealing with an elf, although somewhere between friendly and professional. Or eager.
You see these? Fine clay, pure! Some of this, brought all the way from the fields of Draj! You can see it in the color, yes? The depth of the red. Strong, so strong.

I see you like the patterns, yes? My daughter, fine hand, much talent.

Roll Diplomacy or (K) for arcane, Local, or spell craft
Roll Spot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012