Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Review: SRM03-00 Everyone's Your Friend
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
SaintHax
I'm really interested in other peoples' opinions.

The first mod of a campaign has never been a strong one-- I can think back to SRM01's opening adventure in the park. They generally serve to be a intro to the game (for new players) and the campaign setting. To juxtapose SRM01 (or was that SRM00?), SRM02, and SRM03-- SRM02 was by far the worst to GM for me. It was linear, lacked no options and dragged the players through the mod with some combat. No options, nothing really to change. SRM01 included a bunch of red herrings, several options, not much of a story, and an introduction to some fixer. SRM03-00 does its best to become part of the players actual story-- bridging SRM02 to SRM03's new setting.

It is a typical intro mod and met my expectations story wise: not fantastic, but get's the job done. In addition, the one of the things that SRM03-00 did well was scale appropriately. While it's difficult to scale from TR1 to TR6, this mod does a fair job at it. It hits the changes that a Denver player needs to know about, and actually has a combat option that is fun to run and play-- which is nice to see with so many mods from Denver offering little in the way of combat.

It lacks the puzzle of "Burning Bridges" and the plot/story of "JackKnifed", but it did give some rewarding chances to roll dice, and intro'd NYC. All that said, for a campaign intro mod it is probably the most exciting of the three I've played for a veteran player.

Silver12
I've got to agree that it was definitely an intro mod, and met my expectations as such. As an "experienced" Runner (to a small degree!) I found it a somewhat straightforward, not much thinking needed mod.

That being said, having run this mod for people, both in a con setting and in a home setting, it is probably one of the best intro mods I have run for any system (that I've played). It gives the opportunity for every player at the table to do something with their character, and get a taste for how different mechanics work. Most of my tables had people completely new to SRM, and a couple even completely new to Shadowrun.

As a mod for a continuing player, I'd say it was ok, but as an intro mod using it for what it was (I assume) designed for, I think it was excellent.

LurkerOutThere
I actually liked this mod, as others said it did it's job very well. I have yet to get to play it but I've ran it like 5 times at this point. My only problem is as follows below:

[ Spoiler ]
Bull
Here's a question, going outside of reviewing this specific mod... What would you like to see for an introductory module? With Season 4 on the horizon, I'm looking at how to improve these things a bit.

Keep in mind that the module needs to serve several masters:

1) It needs to serve as a transition from season to season. If it's in a new location, it needs to give the players a story reason for their move.

2) It serves as a "grand tour" of the new setting. It gives new players an overview of the locations terrain, important locations, etc.

3) It should set up at least some of the players for the Seasons story arcs. A few NPCs, a few of the upcoming opponents, etc.

Season 03-00 was a little weak, IMO, but it served those functions fairly well. I've GMed 03-00 four times, and played through it thrice. That mission is starting to feel like one of the early levels of a Mario Brothers game, that you've played so often that you can navigate it be reflex and instinct anymore. smile.gif

Bull
Minchandre
I'm excited to hear all there positive-ish comments about SRM03-00, as I'm going to do my first ever Shadowrun GMing with a group of SM virgins using this mod. It's heartening to hear that people think it's a good intro.
DWC
I liked most of “Everyone’s Your Friend”, though I do have to state that it was the fourth NYC Missions module that I played, which led to a few bits of weirdness. I do like that it established the competency and omnipresence of NYPD, Inc and introduced some of the recurring characters.

[ Spoiler ]

By the way, I’m voting for Hong Kong for the next setting. It’s a showcase of the weirdness of the 6th World, corrupt government, opulent corporate wealth, pervasive organized crime, and poverty-stricken downtrodden masses. Throw in a monsoon once in a while and you’re golden. The government is too weak to stop the pink mohawk crowd from running rampant through Causeway or Kowloon, and the corporations are strong enough that the mirrorshades crowd will have a tough time slipping in and out of Victoria Peak.
LurkerOutThere
DWC:

Your concerns essentially mirror my own.

[ Spoiler ]

DWC
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Apr 27 2010, 09:12 PM) *
DWC:

Your concerns essentially mirror my own.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

On the other hand, for a lot of groups the obvious visual deterrent present would have been more than adequate, especially to a group of brand new PCs who're taking the subway everywhere and have ditched their primary weapons in favor of holdouts and ceramic knives. The more I think about it, the more I think the encounter itself wasn't the problem and was fairly appropriate for players new to Missions or to Shadowrun.
Minchandre
QUOTE (DWC @ Apr 27 2010, 09:39 PM) *
-Holy crap that was awesome-

I guess Horizon wasn't too pleased with you guys afterwards?
LurkerOutThere
[ Spoiler ]

DWC
Yeah. I'm pretty sure Horizon will be pissed when they eventually track things back to us.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012