Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unpublished Drafts - Free for All
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
General Pax
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 6 2010, 08:04 AM) *
And yes, new and old Users are allowed to post everywhere. Stahlseele is referring to a disturbing trend we've seen lately of new Users coming in and starting their very first posts with nothing but negative comments that start arguements, adding nothing constructive. Typically, they continue in that tone and attitude. Voice your opinion, but please, add something constructive.
[/color]

Perhaps that is a sympton of the situation rather than a cause....... and just looking at the main page he seems to have contributed a bit already. He even did in his post here.
fistandantilus4.0
I agree that it's a sympton, and we have had other new Users who have come in with an attitude and cooled, adding more to the discussion.

We can address the symptons here. We can't do a lot about the cause. I'd rather address it with a new User before it becomes a problem, and clarify another poster's position, than start issuing out Warnings. In my experience, it's generally better to say "Hey, that's where the line is. Step back." then to start off with *handslap*.
Ancient History
Okay, I think we've got most of Dynamo Dave's efforts covered...moving on:

QUOTE (Tachi)
Ancient, I don't know if you can answer this (either you or CGL may be still planning to use it), but, what happened to Geraint and why are Serrin and Kristen on the run? (from the end of Megacorp Shuffle)

The continuing adventures of those three...heh. That was an Easter egg for the old players, mostly. Hadn't worked out an exact plot yet, but I had a few ideas.

Tachi
Well, if you come up with something, and Sargent and Gascoigne don't mind you using their characters, I'd like to see it. Serrin has always been one of my favorite SR personalities.
Catadmin
QUOTE (Dynamo Dave @ Jun 6 2010, 04:50 AM) *
Feel free to point to any time hes posted this much at one time. Especially before the books were published and while not acting as pissy as he has in these related threads.

Did you miss the link in his line? Click on the word "weak" and you'll get the entire list of topics started by Ancient History.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize this discussion was already over when I posted this. Mia culpa.
Dynamo Dave
QUOTE (Catadmin @ Jun 6 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Did you miss the link in his line?

No more than you missed the full question.
Abstruse
Speaking of Easter Eggs for us old-timers...I've only found teeny tiny bits here and there of the old plots in 4e...I really hope they pick some of the old threads back up. I know, I know, street level. We've had street level stuff for (checks copyright on Ltd Ed 4e #272) five years now. Maybe it's in the Artifacts adventure tract I bought but haven't read yet, and I know ED crossovers are gone the way of Dunkelzahn, but I miss the overarcing storylines Nigel Findley did so well and some of the other guys picked up later. Over the past few years, I've actually picked up and re-read the old 1st and 2nd Ed. books just for the stories...hints dropped here and there that were played out so very masterfully...it's felt a lot more haphazard pretty much since the start of 4e...
Ancient History
QUOTE (Dynamo Dave @ Jun 6 2010, 03:12 PM) *
No more than you missed the full question.

Okay, I sort of thought this had been covered - no, I haven't released this much material at once before. That's because I've never had this much material to release before. I have released a considerable chunk of unpublished material before, as I think has been aptly demonstrated. I didn't release these drafts out of spite - from the very first I made it clear to everybody I would release these drafts at some point. While I initially wanted to wait until the books were released, I had no obligation to wait that long, and there were sufficient concerns about the material that I wanted to release them now, while I still could, rather than wait. Since CGL is dedicated to rewriting all of these sections anyway, and none of my original material will be used in their drafts, releasing these drafts cannot possibly hurt them. At worst, it's free advertising for the upcoming products.
WearzManySkins
Thank You AH for showing us your materials.

Many night of staying up late are in store for me.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 6 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Dynamo, your opinion of the PACKS system, and of the way it was released is fine. It's your opinion. You're entitled to it . The way you're presenting your arguement, in tone and attitude, is not. Ease off.

And yes, new and old Users are allowed to post everywhere. Stahlseele is referring to a disturbing trend we've seen lately of new Users coming in and starting their very first posts with nothing but negative comments that start arguements, adding nothing constructive. Typically, they continue in that tone and attitude. Voice your opinion, but please, add something constructive.

Yes, this was, in fact, what i was referring to . .
Usually, i am the first to greet a new face in here, but not if within their first 5 or 10 postings they behave like that . .
Sengir
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 4 2010, 02:20 PM) *
Deliberate. Function of both the source and the relatively small wordcount.

Ah, that explains the lacking shadowtalk uproar.

Speaking of shadowtalk, did this Icarus guy appear before? Seems quite connected for a first-time poster...
Ancient History
He's been around for all of 4th edition, yes. We didn't reveal much about him, but I have my own ideas about that...which I gave a big reveal to in the opening fiction of The Untethered Life.
Ghremdal
Thanks for revealing that AH. I enjoyed reading all of it, especially the articles that deal with corporations. The MCT was especially interesting, and we got to find what happened to Puck. I wonder what will be the official version of the story (if it comes out)?

Another question, if I may, does the intro fiction in Untethered Life mean that Captain Chaos is back in some way? EGhost, AI (ala CC justice), or some other advanced program/personality imprint?
Ancient History
It was my intention to have Cap as an e-ghost called "Kaos," at least for a while.
Stahlseele
Ronny Soak?
Ancient History
Heh. No, but nice Pratchett reference.
Stahlseele
*snickers* could not help myself ^^
tisoz
QUOTE (Dynamo Dave @ Jun 6 2010, 05:38 AM) *
Why did you never release large bits of excluded work prior to your ragequitting?

I know a lot of people are too busy patting their own backs about sticking it to CGL for what ever reason but it seems to me that this was done purely out of spite and in an attempt to spit at CGL rather than a kind service to the fans. If it were a kind service I wonder why Ancient never did it before save for random bits here and there. Venom pours out of every single initial post here and in the proof thread.

When Kenson did it he at least did it for the fans and only after the books had been published. This is simply petty if you ask me. Though I have no doubt there'll be some excuse to the tune of "oh I hoped to use the material in the future even if its stuff that would never see the light of day." <snip>

I'm not an AH fan, but this post is proof of your stupidity is an ignorant post. Or maybe you're just a newb unaware of events that have transpired way before you registered.

AH released more fan based material before he became a freelancer than anyone I can think of post SR2. In case that confuses you, yes, there was lots of fan based material, interest, and web sites up to shortly after SR3s release, when most quit churning out new stuff. Ancient History was one of the few to fill that void, and he was probably the most prolific.

I have no doubt he was hoping to use some of this stuff in the future. Writers do things like that in hope of working it into another piece, or in the case of SR - getting it in a re-write of a book, eg. Seattle, New Seattle, Seattle 2072, ... This game is notorious for rehashing previous books, as well as trying to put disjointed material in a single book.

I must quit now and let my rage simmer.

[edit] edited to try to point out how the quoted post is incorrect, and not attack the poster's intelligence. [/edit]
tisoz
So much for simmering. frown.gif

QUOTE (Dynamo Dave @ Jun 6 2010, 05:50 AM) *
Sorry I didnt realize only veterans were allowed to voice an opinin here.

A veteran would have realized how farcical your claims are.

Feel free to point to any time hes posted this much at one time. Especially before the books were published and while not acting as pissy as he has in these related threads.

Probably around the time he was joining or leaving the military. IIRC. he said something about clearing out his computer. It may have been before he had his own site and was getting it set up and posting links to it. Like I said, not a fan, but I do like looking at what others create for the game to see how they envision it and what direction they are taking it.

I like free stuff as much as anyone else does. But not when its done out of spite and to the detriment of the game and the fans.

My opinion differs.

I'm not sure it is spite at all. Depression, perhaps giving up on something that was a major joy in life because it betrayed you and hurts to be in its company? I do not know the actual reasons, but I can imagine several which spite is far from most probable.

How is this to the detriment of the game and the fans?

[edit] Late as usual, but hopefully civil enough.
hermit
Probably around the time he was joining or leaving the military. IIRC.

Going purely by word count, whenever he put the ED Dragons book draft download up - though I think he just hosted it. As for his own stuff? He hasn't been a freelancer for that long - five years, give or take.

Anyway, what with all the hate? I am thankful for alternatives top chapters I may not like, and even more for him sharing his work regardless of his future witht eh franchise (nevermind the legal reasons he may or may not have had posting the stuff now). I do hope he'll stay around. I'd sorely regret the Ancient Files going the way of BlackJack's.

Oh, and the Tir na nOg entry is ... interesting. Maybe I should write a PM on that.
hermit
why are Serrin and Kristen on the run?

Oooh, I know this!

They offed the guy who ... eh.

Read Streets of Blood. Let's just say Paul Bernal II fucked them over good, and Serrin has a damned good reason to want to see him dead. Kristen is with him becuase she is Kristen, and Geraint because he feels he owes him. Pity Karma bit him. Gerraint's my all time favourite SR NPC. Not saying he wasn't due, though, but it still is kind of George R.R. Martin.
Ancient History
To everyone I haven't got to yet: you're welcome, and I'm glad you enjoy it.
Abstruse
As much as I loved the Untethered Life bit, it seems like a rehash of the sort of life on the run things that I know I've read in Runner's Companion and in the main book. Sure, it was a bit more specialized, and I'm glad it's out there...but I'm also glad it's not in any book because how many times do we really need the same sort of "Be super-dooper paranoid, kiddies!" stuff?
MindandPen
AH,

I have to admit I liked you intro to the Corp Guide better than what ended up coming out - it was more polished and for a 4th printing of the information, it did provide some new insights - such as why you don't have guard posts outside of extraterritorial facilities for both the corp and the local government.

-M&P
LivingOxymoron
Thanks so much for these. I've been looking for good information to integrate into my game about the CAS and IU for a while... this will help.

As an aside, was the November 10th Secession day canon before you wrote this, or did you come up with it? I don't know if you're aware or not, this is also the Marine Corps Birthday (notable because of your inclusion of MCRD Parris Island in the 2nd paragraph after.)
Ancient History
It's old canon.
Abstruse
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 7 2010, 10:03 PM) *
It's old canon.

I've friggin' read it this weekend somewhere and can't remember where. Maybe in one of the timelines? Shadows of North America? Grrr...might've just been the wiki...
brennanhawkwood
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 7 2010, 05:59 PM) *
I've friggin' read it this weekend somewhere and can't remember where. Maybe in one of the timelines? Shadows of North America? Grrr...might've just been the wiki...

Out of curiosity, I did a quick scan of Neo-Anarchist Guide to North America and didn't see anything there. I did find it in Shadows of North America. 10 November 2034 is listed in the CAS Timeline on page 58 as being Secession Day. Don't know if it shows up elsewhere, but there is one spot.
LivingOxymoron
Awesome. I'm just glad to see my beloved Corps get some love, even if its unintentional.

QUOTE (brennanhawkwood @ Jun 7 2010, 04:22 PM) *
Out of curiosity, I did a quick scan of Neo-Anarchist Guide to North America and didn't see anything there. I did find it in Shadows of North America. 10 November 2034 is listed in the CAS Timeline on page 58 as being Secession Day. Don't know if it shows up elsewhere, but there is one spot.

Ancient History
QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Jun 8 2010, 02:56 AM) *
Awesome. I'm just glad to see my beloved Corps get some love, even if its unintentional.

You realize it probably has more to do with November 10, 1860 and the secession of South Carolina, right? nyahnyah.gif

There was quite a bit of discussion about how the Marine Corps would handle the UCAS/CAS split and their possible support of reunification, but nothing came of it, sadly.
redska
THANK YOU VERY MUCH ANCIENT
god, I love your stuff, sry that it isnt canon anymore, but the Kaos part is just.... so everything I love about Shadowrun. Like the whole stuff you wrote.
*big grin*

I feel the love ^^
Abstruse
QUOTE (redska @ Jun 8 2010, 12:24 AM) *
THANK YOU VERY MUCH ANCIENT
god, I love your stuff, sry that it isnt canon anymore, but the Kaos part is just.... so everything I love about Shadowrun. Like the whole stuff you wrote.
*big grin*

I feel the love ^^

Not canon? Screw you, *I* decide what's canon in my games damnit and Kaos is friggin' canon! I saw we revolt!
Lansdren
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 8 2010, 07:44 AM) *
Not canon? Screw you, *I* decide what's canon in my games damnit and Kaos is friggin' canon! I saw we revolt!

I second the vote that the reanimation of the digital mind of the good Captain be henceforth considered Canon by all right thinking GM's
Stahlseele
Everything in the Ancient Files is considered Canon by the People i know.
redska
yep in my runs and short stories are the Ancient Files canon too.
I therefor join the revolution. Let the seeds of the E-Ghosts float through our runs, through our own sixth world!
MindandPen
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 8 2010, 03:33 AM) *
Everything in the Ancient Files is considered Canon by the People i know.

Everything in the Ancient Files is Cannon in my games - runners beware if you don't read them devil.gif

-M&P
Abstruse
QUOTE (MindandPen @ Jun 8 2010, 09:40 AM) *
Everything in the Ancient Files is Cannon in my games - runners beware if you don't read them devil.gif

-M&P

I'm about to run a game with a bunch of newbies, starting them in 2051 with the bugs working through Harlequin to get to the Horrors and Harlequin's Back, then putting them in the middle of the election and finishing off the Horrors, so on and so forth all the way up into the Crash.

I've BANNED my players from reading AH so that when they get that run into the Renraku Archology to lift out an exec on December 24, 2061, they don't know what's coming. I'm actually going to wait until one of them says "This is going too smoothly" before I drop the Deus on them.
Dr.Rockso
into the Renraku Archology to lift out an exec on December 24, 2061,

You are undeniably evil. I approve wholeheartedly devil.gif
Abstruse
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jun 8 2010, 12:15 PM) *
You are undeniably evil. I approve wholeheartedly devil.gif

I'm not kidding...the extraction is going to go perfectly to whatever their original plan is. Security's going to be elsewhere or on a bathroom break, alarms will suddenly fail, bystanders will offer assistance, everything is going to run absolutely perfectly...and if they can manage to NOT say the magic words, they'll get out. They'll complete the run and the shutdown happens immediately after they exit. However, if they DARE to tempt fate...if they even breath anything remotely like "This is too easy"...that's when gates slam shut.
Brazilian_Shinobi
May they say "I have a bad feeling about this" instead? biggrin.gif
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 8 2010, 01:39 PM) *
I'm not kidding...the extraction is going to go perfectly to whatever their original plan is. Security's going to be elsewhere or on a bathroom break, alarms will suddenly fail, bystanders will offer assistance, everything is going to run absolutely perfectly...and if they can manage to NOT say the magic words, they'll get out. They'll complete the run and the shutdown happens immediately after they exit. However, if they DARE to tempt fate...if they even breath anything remotely like "This is too easy"...that's when gates slam shut.

For their sakes I hope they don't say it. For yours i hope they do devil.gif
Abstruse
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jun 8 2010, 12:08 PM) *
For their sakes I hope they don't say it. For yours i hope they do devil.gif

Oh, they're getting involved one way or another...it's just whether they're going to be inside trying to break out or outside trying to break in for the next few sessions...
sabs
I'm reading what you wrote for India. Because I was curious.

I'm just starting but I have a question.
Why in /Hades left testicle/ is the new Sikh country called Khalistan?

-stan is a muslim denominator. The Sikh and Muslims hate each other with a passion that is rivaled pretty much by noone. They make the Palestinian/Jewish conflict look positively friendly.
Why are the Sikhs in the Kashmir Valley? They're originally from Punjabi

It's just. Was this info pulled from previous source or just bad homework?
So much could have been done with India. The tech industry, the caste system. It reads very dissapointing.
Catadmin
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 8 2010, 02:24 PM) *

It wouldn't be the first time Shadowrun used bad research. A lot of the Asian source names from way back when (2nd Edition, etc.) are actually Surname + Surname instead of having a First name in there somewhere.

Ancient History
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 8 2010, 07:24 PM) *
I'm reading what you wrote for India. Because I was curious.

I'm just starting but I have a question.
Why in /Hades left testicle/ is the new Sikh country called Khalistan?

Shadows of Asia.

-stan is a muslim denominator. The Sikh and Muslims hate each other with a passion that is rivaled pretty much by noone. They make the Palestinian/Jewish conflict look positively friendly.
Why are the Sikhs in the Kashmir Valley? They're originally from Punjabi

Shadows of Asia.

So much could have been done with India. The tech industry, the caste system. It reads very dissapointing.

I would like to have done more with India. I was limited a great deal by wordcount, and on the depiction in SoA. I mean, when you really look at countries like India and China, they are massive and old and very, very strange. There are ethnicities there that most Americans have never even heard of, and they exist in relatively massive numbers.
sabs
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 8 2010, 06:35 PM) *
Shadows of Asia.

Shadows of Asia.

I would like to have done more with India. I was limited a great deal by wordcount, and on the depiction in SoA. I mean, when you really look at countries like India and China, they are massive and old and very, very strange. There are ethnicities there that most Americans have never even heard of, and they exist in relatively massive numbers.

Okay its' an old bias from the 80's source book. I can live with that.
Really India could be it's very own Source Book. Also Something it might be nice for CGL to do. Is to take some of the canon from previous editions that's clearly badly researched, and updated it.

That was my point. There are ethnicities, mystical 'traditions'. Vishnu Adepts, Thuggies, a booming IT industry. One of the largest IT companies in the /world/ is Indian. And that's not including Chinese stuff.

Shaolin Monks, and fighting monks (Mystic Adepts, and Adepts)
Wujen Tradition spellcasters.
Dragons.
So much could be one with both those places. Instead they get a little paragraph that amounts to "wow these places suck"
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 8 2010, 02:46 PM) *
Okay its' an old bias from the 80's source book. I can live with that.

Shadows of Asia isn't an 80s book. It's a 2000's book from Third Edition.

Really India could be it's very own Source Book. Also Something it might be nice for CGL to do. Is to take some of the canon from previous editions that's clearly badly researched, and updated it.

That was my point. There are ethnicities, mystical 'traditions'. Vishnu Adepts, Thuggies, a booming IT industry. One of the largest IT companies in the /world/ is Indian. And that's not including Chinese stuff.

Shaolin Monks, and fighting monks (Mystic Adepts, and Adepts)
Wujen Tradition spellcasters.
Dragons.
So much could be one with both those places. Instead they get a little paragraph that amounts to "wow these places suck"

India could easily be its own sourcebook. Except the publishers have never wanted a full India sourcebook (likely because those types of books sell very poorly these days). Though the India write-up in Shadows of Asia is significantly larger than the piece in the Sixth World Almanac will be.
Synner667
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jun 8 2010, 08:01 PM) *
Shadows of Asia isn't an 80s book. It's a 2000's book from Third Edition.

India could easily be its own sourcebook. Except the publishers have never wanted a full India sourcebook (likely because those types of books sell very poorly these days). Though the India write-up in Shadows of Asia is significantly larger than the piece in the Sixth World Almanac will be.

...But there's nothing stopping fans putting some material together - even if it's just a multi-system guide.

I did create a thread for such fan material...
HappyDaze
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 8 2010, 02:46 PM) *
Also Something it might be nice for CGL to do. Is to take some of the canon from previous editions that's clearly badly researched, and updated it.

That would amount to reconning most of the fucked up insanities of the SR timeline, and many of those (the NAN for a big example) are sacred cows.
sabs
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Jun 8 2010, 07:18 PM) *
That would amount to reconning most of the fucked up insanities of the SR timeline, and many of those (the NAN for a big example) are sacred cows.

the NAN? that's one part I actually really like smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012