Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Banned until 2284
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
The Flatline
Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on Mar 30 2284, 04:39 AM.

Wow. I report a post for baiting, trolling, and abusive profanity and I get banned until 2284? No warning, no message, no letter, no ability to respond, nothing. Just a giant pink banner telling me that I cannot post until I'm 315 years old. And apparently I'm supposed to wait until then before I can even argue it let alone complain about that.

I even tried to create another name with a 2 behind it so I could at least talk to the moderators about why I was banned like that but before I could even send the IM that account was banned, too. So I came up with a different name altogether. I am Dynamo Dave btw and I do feel bad about having to go about this this way.

Anyway, I guess what people say about this forum was right all along. So much for all the bravado in these other threads here about fairness and deliberated moderation over spur of the cuff and over the top reactions. I hope I can at least get this posted before Im instabanned again.
Redjack
QUOTE (TOS)
6. No alternate accounts. Users of DSF may post under one account only. If multiple accounts are discovered to belong to one user, the additional accounts will be terminated. Do not share your password with other users. You are responsible for the actions of anyone else using your account.

Using a second account to get around a board suspension so that you can continue personal attacks makes it personal to us. It also stacks up those attacks on your primary account, in addition to the TOS violation for multiple accounts. If you get suspended, take a walk, take a breath and stay away until your suspension is over.. Otherwise days becomes weeks.

Your General Pax account is suspended. Your Dynamo Dave accounts and Flatline account are permanently suspended.
A Flatline
Using a second account to get around a board suspension so that you can continue personal attacks makes it personal to us. It also stacks up those attacks on your primary account, in addition to the TOS violation for multiple accounts. If you get suspended, take a walk, take a breath and stay away until your suspension is over.. Otherwise days becomes weeks.

There was no other way to address the situation. I turned around and had a ban until 2284. What was I intended to do? Whilst I may like to walk, I believe that 274 years is a bit longer than I'm prapared to walk for. Im also wondering how a 274 year long ban is considered temporary. Anyway when I tried to use Dynamo Dave 2 I didn't even get a chance to finish writing my IM to ask why I was banned on my main account before I was banned. So I used another name in the hopes of buying enough time to at least ask only this time choosing an open forum rather than a private one.

Your General Pax account is suspended. Your Dynamo Dave accounts and Flatline account are permanently suspended.

I'm not General Pox so I don't understand why you're trying to say that I am, and I definately resent you implying that I'm someone else. Or does sharing opinions with people transform you into that person? If so don't a bunch of other people are deserving a permanent ban too.
nemafow
I have a feeling the mods do their homework when it comes to banning multi accounts, as in duplicate IP addresses ect, so probably a good idea to drop the act.
Lansdren
Its nice to see someone get their comeuppance once in a while

*salutes the mods*
Stahlseele
This Problem came up before.
The Number is not to be taken seriously.
It's a Placeholder of sorts.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (nemafow @ Jun 16 2010, 06:56 AM) *
I have a feeling the mods do their homework when it comes to banning multi accounts, as in duplicate IP addresses ect, so probably a good idea to drop the act.

Okay...just curious then....what if someone else has an account on dumpshock and uses the same computer as someone else....Separate accounts and emails though.

I'm the only one who uses my compy so hopefully I wont have to worry, but your IP address claim just made me curious
Redjack
We do not take this lightly. There are a number of factors beyond IP address taken into account. The system is imperfect; The comfort level comes from the number of circumstantial factors not just one.

EDIT: There are a number of users who share computers. Given other factors, they are generally ruled out as duplicate accounts.
nezumi
I've wondered about that as well. I assume they gather other information like join date and similarities in passwords and user names, since that's about all they have, but I really don't know. I mean, how else would one guess that TheFlatliner is the same person as AFlatliner?
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jun 16 2010, 01:06 PM) *
We do not take this lightly. There are a number of factors beyond IP address taken into account. The system is imperfect; The comfort level comes from the number of circumstantial factors not just one.

EDIT: There are a number of users who share computers. Given other factors, they are generally ruled out as duplicate accounts.

Okay...I kind of just stumbled upon this thread and was a tad curious. I'm the only one who use my computer anyway (or at least the only one who even plays SR) so I shouldn't need to worry.

Thanks!
A Flatline
QUOTE (Redjack @ Jun 16 2010, 06:06 PM) *

With the acception of my wife and two daughters, I'm the only person who uses this computer and I'm the only one who visits RPG message boards. Actual facts don't seem to matter, though. Circumstantial evidence is all it takes for one abusive mod to slander and ban me without any justification other than a hunch, which is what circumstantial evidence really means.

Not that anyone is going to care, but this will be my last post here. When mods can get away with making wild accusations and banning people without reason, especially when patting themselves on the back about how careful and deliberate all of their actions are in other posts, thats a forum I have no interest in even lurking in anymore.

If anyone reads this in the future, take heed not to voice your disdain of posters with a high post count. They can bait, troll, and be abusive all they want, but if you address that as a new poster even if you've been lurking for years, you have signed your ban warrant.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (A Flatline @ Jun 16 2010, 03:31 PM) *
If anyone reads this in the future, take heed not to voice your disdain of posters with a high post count. They can bait, troll, and be abusive all they want, but if you address that as a new poster even if you've been lurking for years, you have signed your ban warrant.

So don't stoop to their level... If this is how they actually act then they're probably no different than schoolyard bullies. They're just looking to get a reaction out of you.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 16 2010, 03:01 PM) *
I've wondered about that as well. I assume they gather other information like join date and similarities in passwords and user names, since that's about all they have,

Potentially, they could have much more than that. Web browsers can disclose quite a bit of information about not just the browser itself, but also the operating environment the browser is running in. (See http://browserspy.dk for some good examples.) Now, it's true someone could switch out both their browser and operating system in an attempt to pass their sock puppet account off as an entirely different user who just happens to have been issued the same IP address from their provider, but most people don't go to such lengths. Even if they did, there's also matters of writing style, types of posts read, and time of day for visits to the site that only the truly dedicated will try and change.

Redjack
QUOTE (A Flatline @ Jun 16 2010, 01:31 PM) *
This is obviously not correct as can be seen in any number of threads. The only considerations given to low post counts are spammers and trolls.
Method
And this isn't "one abusive mod". We are all fully up to date and on board. wink.gif
nemafow
I for one am glad you deal with multi accounts, thank you mods.
SinN
QUOTE (A Flatline @ Jun 16 2010, 12:31 PM) *

Bullshit! mad.gif

I have been a long time user of this site, Im even friends with several of the mods and veterans of the forums and Ive never been cut any slack. YOU made the personal attack, YOU got suspended, YOU got banned. The mods are simply doing there job to keep the peace for jackasses like myself and other users (Who I wont name)
Its unfortunete You were were banned, and even more unfortunete you chose to go about it this way. But Im with the mods on this one.
Jhaiisiin
It's getting a little tiring seeing trollbait show up, toss flames, then bitch when they get suspended for it. DS is NOT overmoderated. People are getting what they deserved, new or old. It's just that we're seeing more new members doing it than older members recently, and so that's who appears to be "targeted", when it's simply a result of the circumstances.

That said, to all members, remember to be mindful of what you say. Personal attacks are going to get you banned. Trying to circumvent your ban will get you permanently banned. Coming here, shooting off your mouth, and then getting upset when the mods come down on you is a fast way to not only make them not like you, but the community not like you and be happy when you get removed forever. You don't like the way our house is run, stay away. We're not changing the rules just for a few overzealous trolls.

No, I'm not a mod, but I do share their opinion of how to run DS, and I'm proud of the job they're doing.
vikingwinternight
I recently joined DS, and as a long-time purveyor of various BBSs, I agree that if someone (regardless of how long they've been with a BBS) shoots their mouths off, then they should pay the price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012