Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisibility vs Improved Invisibility
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jun 22 2010, 06:07 PM) *
It would seem that if an Astral Invisibility spell (Mana naturally) was developed (or rediscovered) and a person had both Invisibility and Astral Invisibility cast on them (so that dual natured creatures couldn't sense them with either sense.) then they would be covered. And the Astral Invisibility would keep any one failing to resist from also seeing the spell auras. Why, because Mana based illusions affect the mind.

And while in SR4A it says " Illusions cannot fool assensing to disguise or create auras.", we know initiates can mask their auras.

And in Digital Grimoire, False Impression and Manascape can at least disguise an aura.

But Masking is not a Spell, it is a Metamagic Technique, so does not follow the rules for spells...
As for Disguising an Aura with False Impression and/or Manascape, that is all well and good, but the Aura is still visible, just as something else...

Keep the Faith
cndblank
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 23 2010, 08:20 PM) *
Yep. Just like Mask won't make you invisible, it would just make you look like someone else.

Uh, what? Take a moment to catch your breath and read what people are saying, rather than reading into what they're saying and trying to alter it to what you want them to be saying. It might help a bit.

From what I see you're saying, not really. Manascape is just "Mass False Impressions." It won't be able to mask its own aura, only preexisting auras in its area of effect.

I think your biggest problem is that you're not quite getting that this is a limitation of Sorcery, not Magic. Those are two separate things. Sorcery cannot be used to remove an aura, especially a spell's own aura, but there might be a metamagic technique, critter power, or some other means of doing so down the road. False Impressions is already a borderline spell, but that's not surprising since most of Digital Grimoire is a hodgepodge of random nonsense, wretchedly written rules, and inconsistency anyway. Don't cling to it like it's actual gospel or a wonderful place to draw proof of concepts from.

If you really insist on introducing something like this in your game, lean towards making it an advanced metamagic technique that keys off of Masking and Extended Masking as prerequisites. And even then, be very careful about how you approach it. Oh, and be sure you're sufficiently powerful to defend yourself once word of your development gets out. Every megacorporation and powerful magician the world round will likely be hunting you down to learn its secrets.

OK two threads here after we settled the Invisibility (M) does not hide you on the Astral plane because the spell aura gives you away.

One was would an Astral Invisibility spell if it existed conceal the spell's own aura. Purely an academic question.

This lead to False Impression and Manascape and would their aura's be exposed or concealed.
I thought that Manascape had no problem since it is an area effect illusion spell. Most substained Illusions can be adjusted by the caster after they have been casted.

So at least with Manascape once the spell is active, the caster can blend the spell aura in to other auras to hide it.

And if that is the cause why limit False Impression so much that no one would take it when they could have Manascape instead.

I thought False Impression was one of the better spells balanced spells in Digital Grimoire.
Also while they are both certainly useful, I don't think they measure up to the metamagic abiliites like Masking and Extended Masking.
It is nice to have some rare lore like that to dangle in front of the PC spellcaster

Yerameyahu
I still don't think it's such a problem for the 'astral mask' to be detectable. It's like, as you said, a man in a disguise. Even if you detect the disguise, you still don't know what's under it.
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jun 23 2010, 09:48 PM) *
OK two threads here after we settled the Invisibility (M) does not hide you on the Astral plane because the spell aura gives you away.

One was would an Astral Invisibility spell if it existed conceal the spell's own aura. Purely an academic question.

This lead to False Impression and Manascape and would their aura's be exposed or concealed.
I thought that Manascape had no problem since it is an area effect illusion spell. Most substained Illusions can be adjusted by the caster after they have been casted.

So at least with Manascape once the spell is active, the caster can blend the spell aura in to other auras to hide it.

And if that is the cause why limit False Impression so much that no one would take it when they could have Manascape instead.

I thought False Impression was one of the better spells balanced spells in Digital Grimoire.
Also while they are both certainly useful, I don't think they measure up to the metamagic abiliites like Masking and Extended Masking.
It is nice to have some rare lore like that to dangle in front of the PC spellcaster

The answer is that those spells don't work by RAW as illusion spells can't disguise or create auras.
cndblank
QUOTE (Deadmannumberone @ Jun 23 2010, 11:59 PM) *
The answer is that those spells don't work by RAW as illusion spells can't disguise or create auras.

Digital Grimoire Credits
Writing
Lars Blumenstein, Robert Derie, John Dunn, and Peter Taylor
Editing
John Dunn, Peter Taylor
Artists
Tom Baxa, Steve Prescott, Chad Sergesketter, John Zeleznik
Production
Adam Jury
Shadowrun Line Developer
Peter Taylor
Shadowrun eBook Development
John Dunn

Copyright© 2008 WizKids Inc. All Rights Reserved. Shadowrun,
Digital Grimoire, Matrix, and WK Games are registered trademarks
and/or trademarks of WizKids, Inc. in the United States and/or other
countries. No part of this work may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval
system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the prior
permission in writing of the Copyright Owner, nor be otherwise circulated
in any form other than that in which it is published. Catalyst Game
Labs and the Catalyst Game Labs logo are trademarks of InMediaRes
Productions, LLC.
Catalyst Game Labs,
an imprint of InMediaRes Productions, LLC
PMB 202 • 303 - 91st Ave. NE, G-
Ol' Scratch
I'm unfamiliar with Lars Blumenstein and John Dunn by name, but the other two writers are well known for making huge gaffs with the rules. Yes, that includes the then-line developer, Peter Taylor. For example, did you know he firmly argued on these boards that a ward wasn't a wall/dome/etc, but a completely filled cube/sphere/etc? Yeah...

Anyway, there's a reason Digital Grimoire is a cheap throw-away product rather than rules that made it into any of the sourcebooks. It's crap, and it clearly didn't get any in depth reviewing, playtesting, or fact checking with the rest of the rules before it was chucked out the door.
cndblank
Not everyone can be a Tom Dowd.

Still RAW.

Although there is no reason they can't clean it up and release it as version 2.0.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012