Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just the Core ma'am
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Androcomputus
I was wondering what would be the best approach for building characters with just using the Core book.

So far, My friends and I look at sample characters and +/- things until we get what we want.
Udoshi
Well. There's not a lot of options with the core book. If I were in your position, i'd pick up Arsenal(because its useful for -everyone-, and being able to drive something beyond the same two cars is great), and the runner's companion(for the qualities section, because it adds -so- much flavor to get your players imagination going).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'best approach'. What exactly are you looking for? There's a whole section devoted to character creation - you should look at it. If you're looking for tips, tricks, builds, team roles, advice - speak up. Be specific. If you ask a general question, you're probably going to get a general answer.
Saint Sithney
Easy! Everyone plays a mage.
/jokes

But seriously, the only character types who aren't made significantly more playable by expansions are the magicians.
Magicians don't need help to be uber.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Androcomputus @ Jul 6 2010, 07:46 PM) *
I was wondering what would be the best approach for building characters with just using the Core book.

So far, My friends and I look at sample characters and +/- things until we get what we want.

I for one try to only use the core book. I don't like spending extra money on books, and I dislike how most extra books add fluff without thought for balance. If you're putting a group together, you're going to want three things; someone to handle the astral, someone to handle the matrix, and someone to handle the physical. That means a mage, a hacker, and a samurai. That's just the basics; ask about a specific build, and you'll get plenty of advice on here.

-DrZaius
Johnny Hammersticks
You can also sub rigger/driver for Samurai, provided said character is good in combat, in some way shape or form
Belvidere
Or if you play like the group I'm in you get by with an infiltrator instead of a samurai, just when all hell starts breaking loose we run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012