Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1 gun...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
MortVent
If you were to have a character that has only 1 gun , what gun would you get them and why.

Doing a character stuck in the barrens, and no intents on going into corp town.

Me, I am looking at the remington 990 or defiance t-250 shotguns... mainly the 990 with the 8rd magazine.

Flexible ammo, good damage, and reasonable to equip with folding stocks for ease of conceal (use the -2 conceal with the stocks folded)

I considered the SPAS-22 and enfield AS-7 (the later with full auto mods... nasty) but felt that for a character living in the barens a standard pump/autoloader would be easier to maintain and use.

Stahlseele
SPAS-22
Best Shotgun around, if you can't get enough recoil compensation for full auto fire spray.
CanRay
AK-97, when you absolutely, positively have to kill every Motherfragger in the room, accept no substitutes.
Doc Byte
My pimped Mac-X! Don't need anything else.
hermit
Whatever can be had.

If I can choose any gun available? The Thunderstorm modded for auto fire and fitted with an unlimited ammo god mode cheat. Complete with a gun personality AR thingamajick and fitted with vectored trust and drone mod. That gun would double as the character's ride.
Dr Funfrock
One gun, and one gun only?

An Ares Predator.

The magazine is big enough to last through most firefights, it's small enough to slip past most detection in a concealable holster, it can be quick drawn, it can be silenced, recoil is never an issue, and if you load EX-EX or APDS it can still do enough damage to seriously mess up most things you go up against.

And if you want to you can mod with burst fire and a gas vent.

If you're only going to have one gun, ever, make it an Ares Predator.
Medicineman
Either an AK 127 (from the German Arsenal ) or the Ares Alpha Combatgun with enlarged magazine, modded recoil to at least 9 and a Belt full of grenades.
Third Choice would be an Enfield AS7 with 36 (?) round Drum and underbarrel Grenade Launcher
(because Shotgunshells and Assaultrifle Ammo is easy to get )

with only one dance
Medicineman
Ryu
IŽd take a pistol, unless I was playing a mage. As a mage, IŽd take an Assault Rifle or Combat Shotgun, as "normal street" self-defense would be covered.

The Ares Predator is great, as is the Ares Alpha. Amongst the shotguns I prefer the Enfield AS-7 with drum.

What vision do you have of staying on the streets? The one were second-tier gangs have shootouts, or the one were having a pistol makes you big league?
Summerstorm
Barret 121 - with one mag of APDS. 14 rounds = 14 dead people (Or spirits, or cars or tanks or whatever).

But really: just ONE gun? IMPOSSIBLE. No character should lug around less than 20 kg weapons and explosives *g*
Stahlseele
*Troll flexes*
Do these Guns count?
MortVent
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jul 10 2010, 08:27 AM) *
IŽd take a pistol, unless I was playing a mage. As a mage, IŽd take an Assault Rifle or Combat Shotgun, as "normal street" self-defense would be covered.

The Ares Predator is great, as is the Ares Alpha. Amongst the shotguns I prefer the Enfield AS-7 with drum.

What vision do you have of staying on the streets? The one were second-tier gangs have shootouts, or the one were having a pistol makes you big league?

Well the character is defiantely on the run with a good dose of paranoia, but as for the streets.

It's seattle up in redmond, and with current levels pistols are the norm for most street gangs with smgs for the big boys and higher tiers. I looked at the smgs and pistols, but with the exception of the roomsweeper nothing beats shotguns for functionability... and I looked at the SPAS 22 mainly over the enfield, the character is going to be looking at durability, maintance, and functionability. A standard pump shotgun is far more preferable to a burst fire one, may be lacking some tactical use of burst fire but it's far more durable and less prone to suffering issues compared to a burst/auto weapon (and the long arms skill works well if she were to branch out into maybe sports rifles or sniper rifles...)

But shotguns give her the damage, durability and with the amount of ammo options flexability (one reaosn I looked at the roomsweeper, buckshot ammo)
Omenowl
The HK XM30 gives you
You get a grenade launcher, sniper rifle, assault rifle, and shotgun. You then modify it further for recoil suppression (electronic firing, gas vent-3, shock pads, heavy barrel, and foregrip). I am sure there is other stuff I would add, but that is sufficient for now.
Draco18s
P93 Praetor. And then mod the hell out of it.

Its reasonably concealable,* great ammo capacity, average base damage, and I'd give it dual clips and extended clips (increases the ammo capacity by almost 200%, IIRC (175%?)) and a bit more RC with the remaining mod slots.

It ends up being able to carry two ammo types without having to reload (I did regular and gel) and enough RC to do a single long burst (plus a short burst at -1--or the other way around, I forget how it works right now). Doing only short and long bursts you don't have to reload in the middle of a fight, as each clip has ~52 bullets (I had to reload once an entire campaign, and I did it in downtime because my clip was down to ~17 rounds).

*By which I mean that the rules are difficult to comprehend, but the P93 isn't a longarm, so it would fit under a coat.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Jul 10 2010, 03:34 PM) *
But really: just ONE gun? IMPOSSIBLE. No character should lug around less than 20 kg weapons and explosives *g*

that reminds me of a movie scene i once watched, tho i cant recall the movie.

basically, take one big guy, have him strap guns on every available area of his body, walk outside, fall over, have all guns go off.
Stahlseele
Loaded Weapon?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 10 2010, 04:49 PM) *
Loaded Weapon?

quite possible.
hermit
Awesomness.

Also, having only one gun is pretty stupid, unless you chage hammer and barrel on a regular basis. My characters usually use standard weapons and dump them at the end of an operation.
LurkerOutThere
If i'm a showrunner and especially if I'm sinless the cops doing a forensics work up on my primary weapon is about dead last of my worries. People like us don't get trials.
Yerameyahu
Assuming chargen-ready guns, modded Smartgun-X. Folding stock, enough RC for long bursts, suppressed, common weapon… it's not the BEST, but it's right in the middle of the dot.
hermit
If i'm a showrunner and especially if I'm sinless the cops doing a forensics work up on my primary weapon is about dead last of my worries. People like us don't get trials.

No, you get found and shot, which is sort of less pleasant than a trial, I imagine. At least it is far more terminal.
CanRay
Hey, come on, even the cops need Shadowruns done. And blackmail is so much cheaper than nuyen.gif !
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 10 2010, 10:29 AM) *
No, you get found and shot, which is sort of less pleasant than a trial, I imagine. At least it is far more terminal.

Yes and finding me and shooting me have nothing to do with matching my weapon to my crimes.
hermit
Yes and finding me and shooting me have nothing to do with matching my weapon to my crimes.

Depending on how much you mod your weapon and what you use, that might be a good lead to find you.

Hey, come on, even the cops need Shadowruns done. And blackmail is so much cheaper than nuyen.gif!

Yeah, but I doubt they'd use showrunners for their runs, being very interested in not seeing thier black ops broadcast all over the Horizon affiliated channels.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 10 2010, 10:58 AM) *
Awesomness.

Also, having only one gun is pretty stupid, unless you chage hammer and barrel on a regular basis. My characters usually use standard weapons and dump them at the end of an operation.

Black Trench coat meet

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 10 2010, 11:20 AM) *

Pink Mohawk. Two great tastes that taste like crap together.

Okay technically not enough to say pink mohawk, but different style is different style.
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 10 2010, 10:56 AM) *
Yeah, but I doubt they'd use showrunners for their runs, being very interested in not seeing thier black ops broadcast all over the Horizon affiliated channels.

Two words: Deniable Assets.

The first word is the most important.
MortVent
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 10 2010, 09:58 AM) *
Awesomness.

Depends on the character, a hacker working from the barrens doesn't need much flexability in firepower. Shotguns are notoriously hard to track back if they are smart enough to pick up shells or use blackmarket caseless sans tagets
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 10 2010, 07:36 AM) *
*Troll flexes*
Do these Guns count?

I believe this is the winner for best answer.
Yerameyahu
Cheater, it's *one* gun. Cut off an arm.
Red_Cap
+1 for the Ares Predator. Plus, I was just skimming through the guns in SR4A, and I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the pistol pictured next to the text entry on the Ruger Supwarhawk was, in point of fact, NOT a revolver?
MortVent
May go with the colt manhunter instead of the predator, but I guess been watchign too much desert punk.. still lean towards either of the two shotguns

With:
Melee hardening (hey sometimes you just give them the stock to the face)
Laser Sight (top; replaces the image scope on the 990 unless I can get it gm'd in as a dual mount unit)
Flashlight, Low light (underbarrel) [I has my reasons....]
Personalized Grip
Sling
Shockpad (integral to the 990)

I prefer the laser sight, the character in question isn't one that can have implants and smart guns... I always want to spend the 1k for an improved rangefinder.. where I am keeping the total cost of the gun under 1k. It's a barrens area, 1k is over a month of lifestyle (about 2 as she goes from street to squatter).

Yerameyahu
Why a Manhunter? I mean, instead of a Crusader (although, a Machine Pistol), Colt Gov't, Thunderbolt, or Guardian? A little cheaper than some, little bigger clip than others? Just wondering. smile.gif

Simsense Vertigo? After all, everyone can have cheap, hidden trodes.
Dumori
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Jul 10 2010, 06:38 PM) *
+1 for the Ares Predator. Plus, I was just skimming through the guns in SR4A, and I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the pistol pictured next to the text entry on the Ruger Supwarhawk was, in point of fact, NOT a revolver?

SR4A fails in the gear images department.

As for my one gun. Maybe one of the HK Urban lines.

Or maybe a HMG with a GL under it and a gryomount...
Yerameyahu
HA. Cheater, that's not 'a gun' anymore. biggrin.gif
Dumori
It is. Its just a troll sized Ares Alpha nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
Haha, it is not. biggrin.gif Even for a troll, it's 2-3 times heavier (proportionally), and that's not counting the weight of the "heavy upper-body harness".
CanRay
Actually, I just remembered something...

Guns are on ships!

This topic should probably be asking us what SMALL ARMS weapon we'd want to have...
Yerameyahu
Hehe, good point, I guess?

What if it's a gunboat, though? Then it's not a ship, so it can't have a gun. :/ And U-boats had deck guns, were they U-ships? So confusing. frown.gif
CanRay
Want even more confusion?

Land-based Artillery are also "Guns".
hermit
A siege ballista. And then I backstab everyone with it!
hobgoblin
heh, remote controlled mortar rain.

btw, i have a soft spot for the suitcase SMG, especially once modded to work as a drone.
Kyoto Kid
...I tend to prefer a railgun, orbital focused solar cannon, or orbital bovine drop platform...

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 10 2010, 01:23 PM) *
Actually, I just remembered something...

Guns are on ships!

This topic should probably be asking us what SMALL ARMS weapon we'd want to have...

...err...oh...um...ahhh...meat portable you say?

Right, well (RayGun's firearms aside) in 3rd ed it has to be The FN-AAL Gyrojet. Best bang for the Sov...err...buck...er... nuyen.gif .

...don't really play 4th that much anymore.
crash2029
I'd have to go with the Mako Hammerhead II.
Ol' Scratch
For a more serious answer, it would depend on the situation.

If I was a regular, every day person or at least tried to pretend to be one, I'd go with a Light Pistol. Most likely the Beretta 200ST, modified to FA for suppressive fire, plus an extended clip, smartlink, and personalized grip. Small, concealable, and appropriate enough for just about anyone to have for self-protection. I'd definitely get it with a Custom Look 2 to add to any Intimidation tests I try to make to get some asswipe to back up off me. Which is about the only reason I'd be pulling it out to begin with. MAD scanners and the like are dealt with the sensible way: With a legal license. Primary loads would be Regular and APDS ammo, though I'd have a clip of Stick-n-Shock handy, too.

If I were a scumbag shadowrunner living my life in the Barrens, I wouldn't hold back at all. An Ares Alpha with a sling, second clip, extended clips, gas vent III, sound suppressor (modified rules specifically state you can have both), and whatever other recoil compensation I could slip in. Since this is what I would have, as opposed to a starting character, to Hell with the 6-slot-without-GM-permission rule. I'd go with either Custom Look 2 for the same reasons above if I never had any intention of going outside the Barrens, or Ceramic/Plasteel 3 if I would regularly have to smuggle it into places. Probably go with the powered break-down mod, too, in the latter case. Primary load would be AV with Stick-n-Shock and EX-Explosive stashed away for speciality purposes.

If I were a stone-cold professional shadowrunner, I'd go with a Machine Pistol. A bit harder to hide than a Heavy Pistol, but easier to smuggle than an SMG or Shotgun. The Ares Crusader would be my first choice, though I prefer the look of the FN 5-7C. I'd convert it to FA for suppressive fire again, plus a smartlink, upgraded gas-vent III (it already has one despite pistols not normally being able to, so I'm just upgrading the damn thing), detachable sound suppressor, ceramic/plasteel 3, powered break-down, personalized grip, and gecko grip options off the top of my head. Again, ignoring the 6-slot rule. I'd have both a Quick-Draw and Concealable Holster depending on the situation, and naturally a Long Coat or its equivalent to help hide it all that much more. Primary load would be AV despite the silliness of it (hey, no rule against it as far as I know), with Stick-n-Shock, Capsule (DMSO/Drug of Choice), and EX-Explosive clips on hand.

If it were in the real world, I'd go with a god-damned Shotgun. Wouldn't matter which brand or model, as long as it made a cool chu-chink sound to appease both my inner gun-toting child and for intimidation purposes. Too bad Shotguns are worth drek-all in the game.
MortVent
I was looking at the manhunter for cost, built in laser sight, and ammo capacity.

Like I said it's nice ot have burst fire, but not a priority (conserve ammo)

One major reason I like the shot guns is spread, sure armor can defeat most flechette ammo rounds (unless I use the god mode enfield with fa and enough recoil comp for a a full 6rd or 10rd [with bipod] spray). Plus the damage is damn good per shot, equal to heavy weapons. Most of the time you are in mid-shot ranges too.

Plus I like the magazine feed for slipping in a couple rounds, since they work like a pump.. last shell in is the first shell to fire. So if I run into something nasty and the first shot or two fails, slip in a couple rounds of EX-EX and good to go... or maybe Gel rounds to knock them down and get out of there.

I'm a firm believer that if you have to empty more than 6rds in a fight, you should be trying to get the hell out of dodge and use gas/smoke to cover your exit
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jul 10 2010, 02:25 PM) *
If it were in the real world, I'd go with a god-damned Shotgun. Wouldn't matter which brand or model, as long as it made a cool chu-chink sound to appease both my inner gun-toting child and for intimidation purposes. Too bad Shotguns are worth drek-all in the game.

...I heartily agree there, on all three counts.
Yerameyahu
Psh, if you're using fewer than 6 rounds per *pass*, you're not trying hard enough. smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
...twin Super Warhawks with pre-errata EXEX don't need 6 rounds per pass to do the job. grinbig.gif
Red_Cap
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jul 10 2010, 04:52 PM) *
...twin Super Warhawks with pre-errata EXEX don't need 6 rounds per pass to do the job. grinbig.gif

And if they do, you're probably better of running anyway.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jul 10 2010, 07:25 PM) *
I believe this is the winner for best answer.

*bows* thank you, thank you, i'll be here for *to voice off screen* how long? A LIFE SENTENCE?!? Ah well, i guess there is worse . .
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 10 2010, 07:30 PM) *
Cheater, it's *one* gun. Cut off an arm.

And then get me a replacement with 20STR in it and flex THAT one!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jul 10 2010, 04:08 PM) *
...I tend to prefer a railgun, orbital focused solar cannon, or orbital bovine drop platform...

...err...oh...um...ahhh...meat portable you say?

Right, well (RayGun's firearms aside) in 3rd ed it has to be The FN-AAL Gyrojet. Best bang for the Sov...err...buck...er... nuyen.gif .

Ok, favorite gun of all time would have to be the FGMP (IIRC is name correctly). Or the Fusion Gun, Man Portable. Each time its fired it gives everyone in line of sight a lethal does of radiation and that's just the SIDE EFFECT. Its actual shot just kills people (and you get 3 shots per firing action) and is the only gun in its game system that makes you track the trajectory of every shot, because it WILL punch through a tank and take out another one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012