Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GenCon SRM games Fri & Saturday
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
SaintHax
SixthSense (my mystic adept knife fighter) and my buddie's character (Pappa Chango) are playing in these games? Anyone else here playing them at the same time? We are hoping for a L337 hacker so we can go TR6 with no worries.

Mission SRM03-10 Spin Control on Friday at 08:00AM)
Mission MP01-04 Humanitarian Aid on Saturday at 08:00AM

DireRadiant
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Jul 20 2010, 02:20 PM) *
....so we can go TR6 with no worries.

Mission SRM03-10 Spin Control on Friday at 08:00AM)
Mission MP01-04 Humanitarian Aid on Saturday at 08:00AM

Oooh.... I'm almost tempted to see if I can run that mission for you...
Fringe
I GMed MP01-04 at Origins. Without giving any more spoilers, be *very* careful before you jump into TR6. My experienced table almost wiped at TR4. TR6 will hurt...a lot, unless it's been changed significantly since Origins.
galvatron42
Both of my games are Thursday. I have a missions game at 8 am (Jackknifed) and a one shot game at 4 pm (Babes in Toyland). Looking forward to them.
DWC
I'm signed up to play Spin Control that morning, and while I'm totally up for playing it at TR6 with my former company man, his transition into a combat hacker isn't quite at the TR6 stage yet.
Wasabi
What do y'all consider a TR6 hacker?
Bull
Good luck folks!

And stop by the CGL booth if you're bored.. We're talking about doing something... Interesting, and that's where I'll be most of the weekend. smile.gif
SaintHax
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 20 2010, 02:55 PM) *
Oooh.... I'm almost tempted to see if I can run that mission for you...

My character is looking at forced retirement/semi-retirement elite status soon. So, if you were to legitimately kill him off, I'd take it in stride. I want to push the envelope and live on the edge.

As for Wasbi's question, I don't play hackers so I can't tell you. I hope someone can chime in.
Belvidere
Well, I don't play any missions as of yet, but the best hacker you can ever really be is throwing somewhere between 18-24 dice on hacking or spoofs. But primarily, know the matrix rules like the back of your hand and be good at exploiting things. Both your character mechanically and you logically. But doesn't Table Rating have something to do with total karma earned?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 21 2010, 07:53 AM) *
But doesn't Table Rating have something to do with total karma earned?

Nope. You pick a number. That's how many PCs I can let die.
Fringe
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 21 2010, 08:53 AM) *
But doesn't Table Rating have something to do with total karma earned?

Money usually scales with TR, but Karma does not. Affiliate rewards usually do not scale with TR, just the base mission compensation. (Though a notable exception is SRM03-12, whose affiliate rewards were just posted.) It definitely does not favor Karma-dependent characters (like mages and TMs).

I'd like to see at least a little scaling, like maybe +TR/3 or +TR/2 or even as high as +(TR-1) to Karma awards, or maybe a combination, with a lower result given for a base award and a higher result for satisfying all the Mission goals. I won't hold my breath for any Karma scaling, though, but Bull has said he's looking at Karma awards for Season 4, especially in light of the SR4A revision to Karma costs for advancement.

Threats scale with TR, which is why I say to be careful about TR6: TR can be added as a dice pool modifier to anything the GM cares to roll except for damage resistance tests. (I haven't seen that in print, but it seems to be the official-unofficial ruling. My understanding is that it's not to be overused as a beat stick, but it's a GM tool to keep the challenge level up.) And usually higher TR means more enemies, more powerful enemies, etc., even before the DP mod.
KarmaInferno
I will not give out any details about the above mentioned mission, but i will say this:

I was on one of those TR4 tables. We had rocket launchers. We still got our asses kicked. It came down to the one guy with a massive Edge pool pulling out all the stops to win that last fight, the rest of us had been incapacitated.

So, beware the Table Rating. Some missions it's no big deal. Other missions, well, if the GM is cackling, be afraid. Be very afraid.

I keep saying it, but I'll say it again... Table Rating needs smoothed out a bit still. I'm hoping to adjust things a bit with Season 4. Table Rating 6 should be deadly nasty, and not just chosen for the high payday. But the rewards should scale with it, for both Karma and Cash.

Bull
sgtbarnes_ky
I would love to see karma scale with TR, I like money same as the next guy, but Karma is just as important if not more important for Mages/Adepts/TMs. Don't get me wrong 6 Karma is a nice reward for a 4 hout mission, it would just be nice to maybe get a little extra fro surviving a TR 5/6 table. As Fringe state TR was very important for one of the missions and at TR 4 if you have to burn through 6 Edge just to stay alive in one encounter, come one you deserve a little extra. Yes, Being alive sometimes is it's own reward and having the rest of the party owe you a solid because you pulled there bacon out of the fire is also nice, but hey I'm a Shadowrunner so I'm GREEDY, sue me. I think Bull is going in the right direction for Season 4 and having TR effect both monitary rewards and Karma rewards. Attribute increase is expensive now adays, please to increase the karma. I really am looking forward to Gencon and running these last few Missions before I have to retire Big Whiskey, let's go out with style and hopefully a lot of money. Then we can all meet again in Season 4, The Run for More Money...and Karma
SaintHax
I have a problem with the karma rewards right now; the 1-3 for role playing leads to an uneven field. There are GM's that take the "employee evalutation" approach, where a 3 is a mythical number to aspire to reach; and the ones that (like me) feel that if everyone had fun and stayed true to the game world-- it's a 3. That's 20% difference.

Perhaps TR 1-3 can have a karma reward cap of 5; TR4-5 cap at 6; and TR6 cap at 7. It'd also be nice if it was made clear (GM's go soft, more so on home games where you know the players) that TR6 should have the expectation of possible death, and no fudging to save a character. If you are playing TR6, you should be prepared to perm. burn edge.
Bull
The Karma Awards in general need adjusted anyways, in light of SR4A.
map
TR6 or bust! SaintHax and I play smart, and cautiously. We need a Hacker who knows the rules, and 20+ DP for decking...err hacking tasks. A heavy weapons-troll-meat shield would be nice as well.
LurkerOutThere
Dr. Rattler is currently about the best a mundane hacker can get at 21/19 for On the fly/Probe if I remember correctly, I think i'm leaving a bonus out somewhere. I may be shorting myself a few dice but since this is more or less the absolute apex for a non technomancer with rating 6 capped programs and without something silly like a 7 hacking I'm pretty proud of it. I may be GMing during that period though.
Black Jack Rackham
What you really need is a good, ole-fashioned Irish Face. The kind of guy that knows where all the best whiskey is located and can get you the best paydays...

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012