Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun: Persistent World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
unsound
Hello everyone! There's a quirky idea that I've been tossing around that I'm thinking about seeding here in the PbP section of Dumpshock, and I wanted to run it by all of you guys to see if you have any feedback/suggestions before I start some hardcore brainstorming for the project. Anyway, most of the games here are one shot, existing in their own unique instance of the canonical Shadowrun universe, with no influence on each other. The only link between games is that sometimes people play the same characters in different games, but karma and other such rewards usually don't transfer from game to game, which is understandable since the GM is usually different. I love the PbP format, but I also acknowledge that lack of consistent long term character advancement, both mechanically and story-wise, is one of the weaknesses inherent in the medium. The other major drawback is that PbP games tend to have an extremely high mortality rate, with players and GMs frequently dropping off the grid due to unavoidable real life circumstances.

The idea that I'm proposing: a fully persistent, multiple GM Shadowrun world, where individual games take place within the greater umbrella of the overall game world. Each individual game thread would be like one node in a network, and character and story developments in one game would carry over into the next game. If a GM drops off the grid, another one can step in to take their place, or you can just use the same character for another GM's game. If a couple of players drop, the GM can recruit some more from the larger pool of characters in the overarching game world. Actions will have consequences, and a character's achievements or failures would stay with them from game to game. Furthermore, the distinction between player and GM would only hold for individual games and be meaningless in the game world - a player for one game might be a GM in another.

I know there was a project almost exactly like this called Living in the Shadows awhile back, and frankly, it was one of my favorite threads to follow, but unfortunately it is no longer active. I'm not looking to reboot LitS (that's WinterRat1's baby smile.gif), but to create something inspired by, and in the spirit of LitS, that has its own rules, guidelines, and structure. What do you guys think? Would you be interested in playing in such a world? Would you be interested in GMing in it? All thoughts/comments/ideas are welcome! smile.gif

Dr.Rockso
Sounds like a cool world to play in. I'd be in.
Aria
Sounds like an interesting idea. Would you accept the inclusion of existing games in to your world? I'm running Emerging at the moment (see sig, set 2070) and playing in a couple of other PBPs and all have interlinks to the themes in Emerging, usually through mutual contacts / background.

Emerging (and its sequal I'm already planning) is rules light and character advancement isn't all that significant at the moment but it would be nice if players were impacting on the world at large rather than just a single game. Of course Emerging is for 500BP characters which might not suit...I could certainly be persuaded to come up with another game to fit in to the persistent world...

A
AStarshipforAnts
Sounds pretty cool. I'd be very interested.
unsound
QUOTE (Aria @ Jul 23 2010, 12:24 PM) *
Sounds like an interesting idea. Would you accept the inclusion of existing games in to your world? I'm running Emerging at the moment (see sig, set 2070) and playing in a couple of other PBPs and all have interlinks to the themes in Emerging, usually through mutual contacts / background.

Emerging (and its sequal I'm already planning) is rules light and character advancement isn't all that significant at the moment but it would be nice if players were impacting on the world at large rat,her than just a single game. Of course Emerging is for 500BP characters which might not suit...I could certainly be persuaded to come up with another game to fit in to the persistent world...

A

Aria, I've actually been tracking and reading Emerging's IC thread for awhile now with great interest. smile.gif However, in order to give characters the capacity to move freely between games, the character creation rules would have to be uniform, so the logically thing to do would be to deviate from canon as little as possible. I'm still in the process of sussing out what the rules should be, but character creation is almost certainly going to be 400 BP standard. That said, I've actually been thinking about the idea of having certain GMs take on specific canonical plot threads that they're interested in - for example, you might take charge of the entire Emergence plotline and it's integration into the game world. I've been digging the the action going on in your game so far, so that would be very cool. smile.gif 500 BP characters would not be transferable between games, but their adventures would still impact the world at large. Another idea: you can open recruitment to 400 BP characters for players who would be interested in playing a character that can move between games and throw them into the sandbox with your existing player roster - I've noticed that you've done recruitment twice for Emerging now with different character creation guidelines, so the game could definitely handle a variety of character builds. smile.gif In any case, I would love to have you on board for this project! smile.gif

I'm thinking that the best way to start is the simplest way: with one game. Once the ball gets rolling and we pick up momentum, we can start adding other games and additional players to the campaign, and see how big the snowball gets. smile.gif The first game would also be a trial by fire for all involved, including myself, to see who is committed to this project - I know real life can be inconsiderate to our gaming needs and sometimes people need to drop off the forums for awhile, but for this kind of project especially, GMs are going to need to be prepared to stay in for the long haul. At the conclusion of the initial game, we'll survey the attrition and recruit world GMs from the players still left standing.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this is the way to go. If this first game fails, then we know the project was a little too ambitious for me to tackle. If it finishes its run, then we can start looking into ways to expand the game world. I'll figure out how I want to do this, and probably have a recruitment thread up later tonight.
AStarshipforAnts
That sounds pretty awesome. And then events in one game could effect events in another--which would be pretty neat. Especially if there are common NPCs between games.
unsound
If this takes off, you would definitely be seeing some of the same faces between games. smile.gif Do you guys have any ideas for characters you might want to play? If so, I might save myself the hassle of coming up with a whole new recruitment thread and just recruit the initial group from the interested parties here. smile.gif
AStarshipforAnts
Oh god yes.

I'd like to play what I've been calling my 'Fun with Science' character concept:

By the Numbers:
- Biological and chemical warfare via capsule ammo, grenades, drones with auto-injectors, and injection daggers.
- Knowledge skills Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Psychology
- Demolitions
- Biotech

By the Roleplay:
- A high-functioning nut
- Diagnosed with Mad Science
- Supporting a much younger little (half?) brother
Martin_DeVries_Institute
Would you also be expecting a certain amount of cooperation/communication between GMs? And would you want participating GMs to tie in to an overarching plot? Or would they be free to do the stories they wanted to do?
unsound
Martin: GMs would be pretty much free to tell the stories they want to tell, though multiple GMs can definitely collaborate on a plot thread if they want to. smile.gif

Starship: That sounds like an awesome character sketch, I look forward to seeing more from you! smile.gif
AStarshipforAnts
Quick Question: the auto-injector is a modification that can be made to armor for 1,500 nuyen. If you're GMing this, will you allow me to have some drones modified with it?
unsound
What exactly do you have in mind? Drones don't have a circulatory system for you to inject chemicals to, so I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding your intent. wobble.gif
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (unsound @ Jul 24 2010, 11:23 PM) *
What exactly do you have in mind? Drones don't have a circulatory system for you to inject chemicals to, so I'm guessing I'm misunderstanding your intent. wobble.gif

Oh no. I'm intending to inject into other people. You know, a chameleon coated kanmushi that can hitch a ride on someone--injecting them with the flu virus...
unsound
Ah hah. Sure, that sounds reasonable, knock yourself out. smile.gif
AStarshipforAnts
You have made me ecstatic with glee, sir.
Suicidal Street Sam
Concept: The So-so sniper with a connection to StarshipforAnts' Science is Fun! character. Kind of a geek; is a comic book nerd, and plays tabletop wargames.
AStarshipforAnts
unsound: Do you have an email address I could send an OpenOffice or Excel charactersheet to?
unsound
x6unsound at gmail
unsound
Character sheet for Dahlia Bekhit has been received, and all looks good upon cursory scan. Gimme a backstory and some fleshing out of contacts and we'll be good to go!
horvagab
This sounds awesome. I don't know how much time I have, but I'll try to churn out my extralucky gunslinger adept.
CollateralDynamo
This sounds like a very interesting idea, especially if GMs are weaving their plot threads together. 3 GMs each running a team of 3 seems like it would be a very good way to test this concept of inter-weaving plots, scenarios, and characters. Although, I may be a bit ambitious with that thought.

That said, I think I'd be willing to test GM something along these lines, if you would like to tap another GM to work with you Unsound. If you don't need a GM, then being a player would also probably be interesting...
unsound
Collateral: Aw hell, why not! A little ambition never hurt anyone. smile.gif Let's do it - welcome aboard! There seems to be enough interest in this thread to run more than one game. Once we get more characters in, we can figure out how to divide them up into teams and run simultaneous games. Also, take note that being a GM does not exclude you from being a player - if you want, you can play in one game and GM another. smile.gif
AStarshipforAnts
In Progress

Dahlia Bekhit

Backstory
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Important NPCs
[ Spoiler ]

Other PCs
[ Spoiler ]

This is all in-progress. If there are question marks, that means that either it's free for a GM or other player fiat.
unsound
Idea: Although I was originally envisioning a bunch of different games with their own threads, there may be benefits to consolidating everything into a single IC thread. It would give players who aren't currently playing in a game a chance to roleplay downtime with their characters, and people who want to GM can just do so straight in the master thread. This way, anyone can GM for anyone else, and GMing would not necessarily have to follow the standard format of "I make a run, recruit players, then do the run." You'll be able to GM miniature scenes at any time - if someone is doing something interesting in the thread, you can just jump in and GM a short for them.
unsound
Street Sam's sniper geek has been received. You had a build point discrepancy in your character sheet because the free contacts house rule was toggled on in the settings tab of the spreadsheet, so you never got charged for your contacts. If my math is correct, you actually still have 1 build point left to spend. smile.gif
Suicidal Street Sam
Blast! One left, eh? Lemme look at it some more. Honestly, that'll probably just mean a little more gear.
unsound
Star, I've had the chance to give Dahlia's sheet a more thorough read and all looks good, except I'm wondering why you decided to go with an Armor Jacket? With a Body of 2, she won't be able to wear more than 4 points of armor without encumbrance. If this is intentional on your part, that's totally cool, I just wanted to give you a heads up in case you overlooked the encumbrance rules. smile.gif Personally, I recommend going with a full suit of form-fitting body armor, which is halved for encumbrance purposes so you can easily wear it with Body 2 and get a very good looking 6 points of ballistic protection.
Aria
I'd like to put forward Silk as a possibility - an NPC from Emerging, or Scratch (upgraded to 400BPs), a ganger from DH's Loveland game (assuming they don't die horribly beforehand ohplease.gif)

Will post the links to them later on.

Are we setting a timescale for this game? 2072?!? Seattle?

A

EDIT: The original version of Silk...it changed after some of the comments from the boards so I'll edit this again with a final version...Her background is in the cast of shadows for Emerging in my sig.

[ Spoiler ]
unsound
2072 Seattle sounds about right. smile.gif
Critias
Just for those who might be interested, what you're describing is basically what's been going on over at Shadowland Six for the better part of, oh, twenty years.

It's a bulletin board system set up with a file tree that breaks down IC and OOC pages in folders, with folders for various parts of The Sixth World (we've occasionally had continent hopping), so that one might open a series of folders to reach a specific page/location, where you make posts with HTML (not unlike making a basic post here). We've got built in die rollers, and even secondary/tertiary systems set up to handle alternate die rolls -- World of Darkness stuff, D&D, you name it.

For given bar, for instance, you might find yourself accessing Shadowrun->The Sixth World (IC RPing)->Seattle Metroplex->Puyallup->The Hollow Point. The owner of the Hollow Point may have two to three pages set up, one for role playing on the street outside, one for role playing inside the bar proper, and one set up for OOC stuff, like asking questions, rolling dice, or what-have-you. I say "may" when I should say "does," since the Hollow Point's actually a bar I created a long time ago over there. You create a page through Shadowland's interface, set up a description -- sometimes complete with images, sometimes only with text -- and you open it up to let people post there. Characters come and go, interact with each other, and all that jazz all through HTML posts (sometimes with necessary die rolls).

There's a separate section set up specifically for more organized, less "sandbox," style play, where would-be GMs can assemble a group of players created with specific rules and guidelines in mind...but then those private campaigns can be run within their own separate folders or, more popularly, can spill over into the general The Sixth World area (but just have a little more guidance). Your street sam, who's just killing time and getting a cup of coffee in between jobs, could suddenly spot a Meet happening in the corner, be embroiled in a go-gang fight being GMed by someone running an Ancients campaign...or could just bump into another 'runner, chat about the Ares job last month, and go about his day.

We've also got a separate set of sub-folders set up for handling Matrix runs -- so you can be a decker running through ice, or just a poster on the Shadowland BBS looking for work -- in order to keep the meat world and Matrix from tumbling together too much. That's mostly for the SR3 games that were traditionally much more common, but it's worth pointing out that you can just be posting to a message board, totally in character.

We've also got a general chatroom (in its own pop-up window, so it's accessible while perusing pages and navigating the menu), as well as the capability for private chatrooms to be created, complete with die rollers built in. For a faster paced game, or the rare instance where you might be able to get several members of a group together on-line at the same time, folks can coordinate and roll in the private chat, just taking the time to hammer out a paragraph of HTML and click the "post" button in order to show the action on an IC page.

Now, a caveat; the place is dead right now, for the most part, and has been for some time. I mean, dead like disco. Maybe two, three, people still visit with any regularity. Lots of regulars jumped ship, lots of folks grew up and got real jobs (several of us as freelance game writers, for instance) or went to school and got busier (or graduated and got even busier), and blah blah blah, it's pretty slow going right now. On the bright side, that means it's an empty playground. Anyone that wanted to could create anything they wanted to, and have a blast without there being any toes to step on.

A resurgence of folks looking to do this sort of thing, though -- like the people showing an interest right here -- could be just the jump-start SL needs, and y'all could benefit from having...well...the perfect on-line set up for what you're describing, since it's what SL was made for.

We've traditionally played SR3 over there, but there's plenty of SR4 that we tried to get started, too. Either edition would be welcome, and to be honest more SR4 players would be a good thing. New blood, and all that, to help make our "edition swap" more official -- there are so few holdovers to SR3 left, even on SL, that it might as well officially be an SR4 board.
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (unsound @ Jul 26 2010, 03:00 AM) *
Star, I've had the chance to give Dahlia's sheet a more thorough read and all looks good, except I'm wondering why you decided to go with an Armor Jacket? With a Body of 2, she won't be able to wear more than 4 points of armor without encumbrance. If this is intentional on your part, that's totally cool, I just wanted to give you a heads up in case you overlooked the encumbrance rules. smile.gif Personally, I recommend going with a full suit of form-fitting body armor, which is halved for encumbrance purposes so you can easily wear it with Body 2 and get a very good looking 6 points of ballistic protection.

That was an 'oops' on my part. So she'll have the form fitting body armor suit with the same mods that were on the jacket and no other armor. I think that puts my spare nuyen at a grand 105 nuyen.gif
unsound
Thanks for the info, Critias. smile.gif I actually looked into SL6 once upon a time, but all the sections and subsections were too complicated for my technologically inept brain to handle. wobble.gif Sorry to hear it's no longer as active, it seemed like a cool place to play.

IC thread will be up later today. If you've sent me a character, you can start posting immediately, though I will need a finalized character from you before we run into any crunchy bits. This is going to be a very open-ended sorta game, so start off with an introductory post of your character doing something interesting and we'll take it from there. smile.gif
unsound
This thread is officially closed. Please move all discussion to the OOC thread.
Red_Cap
I followed this thread and took a look at the IC thread you started for your game -- I'm intrigued. It sounds fun, having all the connections between different games sounds like a great idea. I'm all about it. Got room for another character by any chance? I have an idea for a street doc that I've wanted to try out but haven't yet really had the chance.
Golgoth
Hey, just jumping in at the bottom here: Check out newseattle.org (and forum.newseattle.org). It's a full text based game that is, well, a Persistent World. Not extremely active at the moment, but we are always looking for more people for both players and GMs/Storytellers (most of us are both!). We'd be more than happy to have people who are mainly interested in PbP to check out the game as well. See if you like it!

I'd stick around online to walk new potential players through the steps of getting used to a MUSH/Telnet based game, but I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and don't have access to computers that will allow me to connect through any sort of telnet application.

Also, it may seem daunting at first to get into the game, but it is definitely worth it once you get in there. If anyone happens to peek in there, tell them Daiden/Sigil sent you.

Edit:

Not to pull away players from the PbP. I've never personally done a PbP and will likely be attempting to join up with you guys if the system allows it (I'm only allotted 30 minutes of time at a time online while deployed).
unsound
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Jul 27 2010, 03:57 AM) *
I followed this thread and took a look at the IC thread you started for your game -- I'm intrigued. It sounds fun, having all the connections between different games sounds like a great idea. I'm all about it. Got room for another character by any chance? I have an idea for a street doc that I've wanted to try out but haven't yet really had the chance.

Play, GM, whatever, there's always room, that's the whole point of the game. smile.gif Jump in whenever you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012