Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ridiculousness...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Inpu
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 4 2010, 07:36 PM) *
1) A wealth of evidence, such as many cited footprints of both humans and dinosaurs in the same "strata" layers and the Ica stones.

2 + 3) It's called Cryptozoology. Go search it. Mokele-Mbembe, batamzinga, kongamato, seram, orang-bati.... Many others (or the same ones with different tribal names). In fact you can probably find the radio recording of mokele-mbembe doing his calls out in the swamps.

While I am a big fan of Cryptozoology, it is not a wealth of evidence until it is accepted into the field as proven. It isn't yet. Most scientists still laugh at Cryptozoology. That's not to say it isn't potentially true: there needs to be explicit evidence to say something is not true for that to be the case.

However, it is not a certified truth yet. When it is it can be argued. Also, its relation to mythology is not explicitly true either: it may have influenced it. Or it may not have. Many cultures place power in things, such as the sun. To say a tribe specifically buried their dead a certain way to avoid *that* particular predator requires proof. I'm willing to believe there was a practical reason: there often is in dance and ritual.

I'm obviously not counting living fossils, which are not (usually) under the scope of Cryptozoology. They do exist though. There's quite an extensive list.
Draco18s
The Ica stones are also widely regarded as fakes. Oh wait it was a hoax.

As for the footprints, that's widely regarded as untrue. Some tracks have even been shown to actually be 100% dinosaurs: that is, the "human" footprints are misidentified. Not to mention other issues with how the footprints got there.
Traul
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 4 2010, 07:36 PM) *
1) A wealth of evidence, such as many cited footprints of both humans and dinosaurs in the same "strata" layers and the Ica stones.

2 + 3) It's called Cryptozoology. Go search it. Mokele-Mbembe, batamzinga, kongamato, seram, orang-bati.... Many others (or the same ones with different tribal names). In fact you can probably find the radio recording of mokele-mbembe doing his calls out in the swamps.

Nothing more accurate, like links? Because all Google knows about "dinosaur still living" and 'dinosaur man coexist" is a bunch of creationist nonsense.
Mesh
Dinosaurs and humans never lived at the same time. I know the name of this thread is "Ridiculousness", but please resume Shadowrun character ridiculousness discussion now.

Mesh
Karoline
QUOTE (Mesh @ Aug 4 2010, 01:43 PM) *
Dinosaurs and humans never lived at the same time. I know the name of this thread is "Ridiculousness", but please resume Shadowrun character ridiculousness discussion now.

Mesh

Yeah, Mesh was there, so get back to SR.

What even lead to all this anyway? question.gif
Laodicea
QUOTE (Mesh @ Aug 4 2010, 12:43 PM) *

Mesh

This proves you wrong.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Aug 4 2010, 04:05 PM) *
This proves you wrong.

I fail to see how that is "proof." ohplease.gif
Laodicea
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 4 2010, 02:06 PM) *

photographic evidence.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 4 2010, 09:06 PM) *

Try this instead.
Karoline
As you can plainly see, the coexistance theory is only partially right.
Traul
And how could we forget this?
Martin_DeVries_Institute
It's a well-known fact that Denver the so-called "last" dinosaur was, indeed, a hoax.

This on the other hand... this actually happened. (Careful: link may blow your mind.)
jimbo
Calvin and Hobbes documented that T-Rex's flew F-14s, but I suppose the F-14s could have been around in prehistoric times (somehow)
Neraph
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 4 2010, 12:10 PM) *
The Ica stones are also widely regarded as fakes. Oh wait it was a hoax.

Oh, you mean a coerced confession in front of police in a country where selling national treasures is a crime that'll put you in prison for the rest of your life? Oh, mah bad.

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 4 2010, 12:10 PM) *
As for the footprints, that's widely regarded as untrue. Some tracks have even been shown to actually be 100% dinosaurs: that is, the "human" footprints are misidentified. Not to mention other issues with how the footprints got there.

Read it, heard it, know about it, still leaning towards the authenticity of the prints. Not to mention it is evidence, which I said I would provide, not proof.

QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 4 2010, 12:43 PM) *
Nothing more accurate, like links? Because all Google knows about "dinosaur still living" and 'dinosaur man coexist" is a bunch of creationist nonsense.

That's not biased at all.

In any event, this is no longer SR related, so bring it to PMs or drop it.
Faraday
Jeez you guys, how could you forget the Mexican Paleontologist Raptor Bandits?!
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 4 2010, 08:43 PM) *

You nailed - what it boils down to is how accurate you think creationist nonsense is. YMMV.
Thanee
Dinosaurs definitely exist today. They just took over this thread!

Bye
Thanee
Inpu
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 5 2010, 07:39 AM) *
Oh, you mean a coerced confession in front of police in a country where selling national treasures is a crime that'll put you in prison for the rest of your life? Oh, mah bad.

Well, since dinosaurs are in the government, I suppose anything is possible. Fear the conspiracy.

Read it, heard it, know about it, still leaning towards the authenticity of the prints. Not to mention it is evidence, which I said I would provide, not proof.

It's evidence to the contrary. Leaning towards authenticity is opinion, not fact, but it is certainly noted.

On topic, it wouldn't be too difficult to make dinosaur changelings I suppose and get an even stranger group.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 5 2010, 01:39 AM) *

Final quip, as neither of us is presenting a full story here. While you are correct about his coercion about the man saying it was a hoax to avoid being arrested, they're still fake (a true statement under coercion is still a true statement, afterall).

He also said that he had not made all the stones. He was not punished, and continued to sell similar stones to tourists as trinkets.

In 1998, Spanish investigator Vicente Paris declared after four years of investigation using microphotographs that the stones were a hoax, citing traces of modern paints and abrasives in the engravings. Also, as most of the stones were found in rivers or other outdoor places, and not in ancient tombs, the crispness of the shallow engravings should be substantially eroded if the stones were of great age. Paris concluded that though it is impossible to say all the stones are frauds, all investigations have failed to demonstrate they are anything but modern.
Voran
Ugh. I hate picking names when it comes to my characters. Shadownames are pretty hard, as are 'fantasy' names. Modern setting games, Whitewolf, whatever, that have you playing 'real people' are easier names to pick, you can just go with random real names.

I think an easy (though obviously incomplete) way to describe Shadowrun in terms outsiders to the game might understand is, "Its kinda like playing the Matrix."
Bazzek
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Aug 2 2010, 03:52 PM) *
... I'm hoping she's interested enough to study the game a LOT more if she wants to continue playing. Otherwise I hope she'll quit playing....

If i can abuse my 2nd post privileges, may i inject something that may not spring to mind of the more avid SR players...

Any new system (especially complex systems with tons of politics like SR) will have players that need to warm up to it.
Personally i know what the pit fall is and as a result i have been reading up on the system a bit so Inpu can run the game without wanting to kill me.
But i do that because of the previous experiences with different systems.

Lack of studying doesn't mean people aren't caught into it, it will just take a bit longer to get sooth in playing, especially with D&D and SR like game systems.

And i am not even going into the "not everyone has time to read the stuff ahead of time" defense, no matter how valid it can be.

All i want to give you SR crack addicts (in the nicest way possible... think pink tutu nice) as a suggestion is that SR is complex and hard to grasp, especially if you read the book without actually playing it. So give your players a chance and let them learn the basics before criticizing them or wishing they would quit. In the end patience is always rewarded.

Possibly i can suggest following the way of Inpu and allowing your players to learn what went wrong when and adjust their characters after the lesson is learned. This can of course also be done by just telling them (be nice tho, you want to keep players around, i would at least)

To make myself an example:
I just made a few toons for myself to learn the system and no, none of them has a name yet... or a nickname... and most miss their knowledges and languages... and none has a commlink, several miss fake sins and half of them is rubbish, the other half is half rubbish... and that is after a whole sunday and monday of trying to figure out SR characters.

So cut your players some slack, they are new to the game and if you stimulate them right they will enjoy it and get better smile.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Bazzek @ Aug 10 2010, 01:44 PM) *
SR crack addicts

I resemble that remark (though the core books don't work well when you try to smoke them).

as a suggestion is that SR is complex and hard to grasp, especially if you read the book without actually playing it. So give your players a chance and let them learn the basics before criticizing them or wishing they would quit. In the end patience is always rewarded.

Very true. On the flipside, a patient GM can coax enough interest out of a new player to the point where they dive right into the material. There's synergy to be had.

*snip*

It's too early in the morning for me to start diving into double entendre. biggrin.gif
Inpu
QUOTE (Bazzek @ Aug 10 2010, 02:44 PM) *
Any new system (especially complex systems with tons of politics like SR) will have players that need to warm up to it.
Personally i know what the pit fall is and as a result i have been reading up on the system a bit so Inpu can run the game without wanting to kill me.
But i do that because of the previous experiences with different systems.

I have no intention of killing you out of character. nyahnyah.gif
Fanatic
Well aside from the naming problems, by my count you have a pretty nice group not a ridiculous one:

1 well thought of character with a player that seems to know his way around shadowrun
2 funny character concepts who do not try to "take over the world" with players that are interrested and try to read up on the rule (and yes i know how constant questions about mechanics and/or not knowing said mechanics in the first place slows down any game session, i do much of the same)
and only
1 character who seems to be overwhlemed with the character generation process and a player who seems to be more interrested in the game mechanics and expploits than the actual game flow.

That's 75 % success if you have enough patience until the two women learned enough to really integrate in the game.
And the one complicated guy is your brother, should'nt you be able to point him in the right direction/set him straight ?
Maybe he had this awesome idea and thought adept with mbw was the only way to realise that?

Anyways, i would be glad to be able to play in a group like that, sounds very nice with alot of potential.
Bazzek
Something i haven't been able to find is a good newbie guide to character creation, something that points out pitfalls (like the one your brother stepped in) and points out some basic knowledge that will keep you alive.

I think that it should have been part of the books, but alas it isn't, so maybe this forum with SR guru's can make a newbie guide to help the helpless and point the almost helpless at some interesting things. This all will help all GMs here get and keep new players smile.gif

And yes, even with reading and reading i find the whole character creation system extremely frustrating since there is no boundaries (which is the strength of the system, but it hurts those that are new).

I by no means have a usable character for our game as of the end of september and have given up for now. Hopefully i have the time after our wedding to read up and hopefully it then suddenly clicks so i can make something usefull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012