Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The World's Largest Solo.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Dumori
N.B I'll edit more in to this post later.

So here's my curent plan I'm going to run WLD with 2 chars one a 24 point buy the other a more insane char. Only global rule change would be fractional BAB.

I'll be entering at lvl one with the aim to see how far I can get. Seeing as it's a preset self DMing should be fine if other want to take up the gauntlet feel free.
Karoline
Are characters allowed to convert gold into magic? Ie use gold/treasure to create magic items without having to go buy special components and such?

Might be fun to try, shame I don't have the WLD.
Dumori
I am back with my copy of the WLD now gona sart the solo tonight. Taking it as written bar the exp awards as they screw over crafters getting 2 rewards per region.
Dumori
I've just discovered the Factotum class and I'm considering using that and artificer for the gestalt build. As for the point buy build I'm unsure what is better. I also have a secondary Gestalt build using a changeling and facutorum//swashbulker and a ton more. Also if soem one want's to DM as there are enought DM options that self DMing might not be fair.
TommyTwoToes
I would like to take it over to Pathfinder, should be a straight conversion of just using the Pathfinder beastiary. The Advanced Players Guide is out now....oddly enough the new classes don't completely overshadow the old ones.
Faradon
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Aug 18 2010, 02:47 PM) *
I would like to take it over to Pathfinder, should be a straight conversion of just using the Pathfinder beastiary. The Advanced Players Guide is out now....oddly enough the new classes don't completely overshadow the old ones.

I actually picked up (in region E) a WLD game I was running a few years back and converted it to Pathfinder. Some work has been on the fly, other stuff I've had to do a bit more advance work with. I think the biggest changes are dealing with skill changes (esp for rogues.) Other than that it has been pretty straightforward.

The other thing is that pathfinder is slightly higher power... so in general I've upped the hp of many monsters or added a few... Has been a lot of fun so far though
Teknobabel
I started this with some friends that got to lvl9 and quit after a complete team kill (though they had lost something like 30 characters up to that point).

The first time they played they did it completely in character, drawing their own maps and everything, they quit that after 10 weeks as they were getting nowhere fast smile.gif

I think the record for character lifespan from rolling stats to character death was 30 minutes, and one round of initiative when he got criticaled and the DM rolled max dmg, dropped to -11 in one hit. The player got out the lucky dice and rolled two better for each stat, so he was happy.

I've only lost 2 characters so far and its been a blast (should say, each player is playing two chars, if you took just one char per player in, you'd need a lot of luck to get far).

Some of the traps are brilliant though, if you are roleplaying it and not rollplaying it.
Dumori
QUOTE (Teknobabel @ Sep 3 2010, 01:32 PM) *
I started this with some friends that got to lvl9 and quit after a complete team kill (though they had lost something like 30 characters up to that point).

The first time they played they did it completely in character, drawing their own maps and everything, they quit that after 10 weeks as they were getting nowhere fast smile.gif

I think the record for character lifespan from rolling stats to character death was 30 minutes, and one round of initiative when he got criticaled and the DM rolled max dmg, dropped to -11 in one hit. The player got out the lucky dice and rolled two better for each stat, so he was happy.

I've only lost 2 characters so far and its been a blast (should say, each player is playing two chars, if you took just one char per player in, you'd need a lot of luck to get far).

Some of the traps are brilliant though, if you are roleplaying it and not rollplaying it.

I think the odd thing about the WLD is that its pretty scalable it can be doable just or madly hard. I've yet to start the adventure but I do have 4 diffrent PCs to try and solo it with.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Dumori @ Sep 3 2010, 12:59 PM) *
I think the odd thing about the WLD is that its pretty scalable it can be doable just or madly hard. I've yet to start the adventure but I do have 4 diffrent PCs to try and solo it with.

Yep, I want to run a pathfinder game at our local game store and WLD might be the ticket.
Teknobabel
QUOTE (Dumori @ Sep 3 2010, 04:59 PM) *

Just pray you get to lvl 3-4 quickly, once you get some HP then you know you won't get screwed by an unlucky disarm trap roll or other one shot ability.

think the rogue player has lost two characters like that. All you need is the DM to make sure the cleric is just out of range to get there in time and BAM, player down.

Dumori
And that's why my factotum//artificer warforge should be hard to kill that plus he has 2/adimantium DR at lvl 1. He might be a bit broken in a none soloing the WLD game but in it I can still see bad rolls icing him.
TommyTwoToes
We are starting up WLD in Pathfinder tonight. Looks like we have a Cleric, a Paladin, and a Summoner. Should be interesting.
Karoline
Healer, combatant/healer, and the ultimate in trap detection smile.gif
Dumori
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Sep 7 2010, 08:36 PM) *
We are starting up WLD in Pathfinder tonight. Looks like we have a Cleric, a Paladin, and a Summoner. Should be interesting.

Bar the fact WLD states summoning magic doesn't work in it. It also outlaws portable holes and bags of holding.
Karoline
QUOTE (Dumori @ Sep 7 2010, 07:01 PM) *
Bar the fact WLD states summoning magic doesn't work in it. It also outlaws portable holes and bags of holding.

That would make traps fairly easy, which from what I hear is a big part of the dungeon.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Dumori @ Sep 7 2010, 08:01 PM) *

Actually there are options for summoned critters not being allowed to leave when the spell duration runs out. It isn't a problem bringing things into WLD, its that nothing can leave.

As far as making traps easy.... We added a rogue, and the black mold in the 3rd room did 9 points of Con damage to him. Gonna be a long slow road to recovery.
Dumori
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Sep 8 2010, 02:28 PM) *
Actually there are options for summoned critters not being allowed to leave when the spell duration runs out. It isn't a problem bringing things into WLD, its that nothing can leave.

As far as making traps easy.... We added a rogue, and the black mold in the 3rd room did 9 points of Con damage to him. Gonna be a long slow road to recovery.

Yeah that why my warforge is pretty hardy immune to diseases and poison shoudl really help out with those traps also Auto bane weapons are bloddy helpful. Though I'm yet to try the solo and I'm loathe to self DM.
Tiralee
If you're using Pathfinder, you'd going to have a ball. It was the first time a group wanted to play a Druid, a Bard and a Paladin, ever.

Ie: "MY god, they unbroke them?! Sweet Cinnamon Holy Smiting, when I get to level 20, I'm going to cockpunch the Devil - I'm building him with that aim in mind and shall swear an oath to that effect at this table" etc, etc...

If you avoid some of the fruity (Alchemists, I'm looking at you) classes, the "standard" ones are great fun. Sometimes seeming a little overpowered, but you still die fast when something rolls better:)

Of course, if you use the Pathfinder monsters, you don't really have to get to creative with the difficulty either, they scale nicely.

-Tir.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Sep 9 2010, 08:26 AM) *
If you're using Pathfinder, you'd going to have a ball. It was the first time a group wanted to play a Druid, a Bard and a Paladin, ever.

Ie: "MY god, they unbroke them?! Sweet Cinnamon Holy Smiting, when I get to level 20, I'm going to cockpunch the Devil - I'm building him with that aim in mind and shall swear an oath to that effect at this table" etc, etc...

If you avoid some of the fruity (Alchemists, I'm looking at you) classes, the "standard" ones are great fun. Sometimes seeming a little overpowered, but you still die fast when something rolls better:)

Of course, if you use the Pathfinder monsters, you don't really have to get to creative with the difficulty either, they scale nicely.

-Tir.

The unbroken classes are the best part, when I was looking to play in a pathfinder game, I know I was looking at druid seriously.....its not like 3.X
Karoline
That's funny, because in the 3.5 game I used to play, druid was generally accepted as one of the most powerful classes. We even had someone do very nicely with a bard, using a whip and improved trip and such to really screw up the enemies and set them up for easy finishing blows for the others. And of course had massive use magic device skill and so could use scrolls easily.

Maybe it's because we had a tendency to work together very well. My summoner would go for a large number of weaker creatures to provide flanking bonuses as opposed to one strong creature that might be slightly more effective. Celestial wolf was always my favorite, flanking and improved trip all around smile.gif

Never had a paladin that I can remember though, but that was likely because lawful good didn't fit very well into our group. We were more chaotic neutral that did good by mistake because it paid well.
Dumori
My last 3.5 group was well oddball. We had 2 rouges, 1 sourcer of the dragonblood/summoner type, a druid, a paladin, a ranger (when he showed up) an monk and an artificer. The campaign started as three independent group forced together by chance we then all joined up and it looked like we where gonna spilt in to two groups due to alignment issues. Look at the paladin and monk that or kill the paladin. The split looked to be rouges, artificer, and sorcerer one one side with the rest on the other side. Though one side would have been low on healing power.

We worked really we together though with enough buff and nuke power it last for ages the game was heavily dominated by the artificer and sourcer but they where both manly support builds as we both knew that they where some of the most ass kicking classes in the group the druid if played better would have also been with us in the core power of the group. We had our own very own unkindness of ravens later on via summoning spells they where the same ravens so I the artificer, churned out items for them as well. Looking back the magic users where very self severing spreading our power between each other before passing stuff down the ladder though it was almost necessary with us being the healers and such.
nemafow
In the years and years and years ago... Not that long back, but long enough! My second ever character was a Druid and he leveled up to level 20 and retired. It was my best ever D&D character ever. All the other characters/campaigns I played/played-in never lived past level 4.
Karoline
Mine was a wizard. Got all the way from 1st level to... I think it was 10th level (including one death and a handful of magic items) before the campaign ended. Afterwards we did a mock battle with the main enemy (Psion/Sorcerer with a prestige class that added to both). The enemy ended up killing everyone because he threw up an antimagic shield early on so I couldn't do anything. I did manage to injure him nicely by flying above him and emptying my bag of holding that I'd recently filled with the contents of a library. Alas, he eventually caught me in his anti-magic field and killed me.
Dumori
I think the nastiest PC I've played not built was a changeling soul-knife/assassin. We where playing a more intrigue/urban game and his ability's let him run riot. Getting close to those he needed to longenough to death attack with a 2/h attack with a bastard sword.
Karoline
Changeling is an awesome race. Actually, Ebberron is just an awesome setting in general.
nemafow
Shadowrun is an awesome setting cool.gif

I honestly don't play D&D anymore, nor intend to. Classless systems just have so much more appeal to me these days.
Karoline
QUOTE (nemafow @ Sep 9 2010, 11:17 PM) *
Shadowrun is an awesome setting cool.gif

I honestly don't play D&D anymore, nor intend to. Classless systems just have so much more appeal to me these days.

Ebberron is, now that I think about it, surprisingly similar to a fantasy Shadowrun. 'Corps' have absurd political influence and general power/freedom, things are often not what they seem, 'technology' is very advanced compared to other settings, etc.
CanadianWolverine
So, er, is this World's Largest Dungeon thing ... is it UnderMountain, that WaterDeep crazy wizard dungeon? Just when looking at that WLD website, it was reminding me of some stuff I stumbled across for D&D and one of the few D&D novels I have read more than once, Escape From Undermountain.

Also, any word on how that solo run of WLD is going? Hard for me to imagine doing anything solo in a class based system from my 3.5/3.NWN experience unless it is some sort of rogue/monk/cleric (or something, maybe a shadow dancer instead of cleric for hide in plain site) multiclassed character of decent level.
TommyTwoToes
It is actually much larger than Undermountain. The module was written back when 3.0 came out. The intent was to use every rule, item and monster in the PHB, DMG, and MM. Now there are some caveats (sp?). By every monster, they take Chromatic Dragon to be a monster, so there only needs to be 1, not one of each color.

They make liberal use of templates, traps and diseases. There isn't anything included that is from outside the base books.

The module is ~600 pages and on 16 full color maps (each one the size of 4 sheets of loose leaf paper).

Yes there is a Tarrasque, no the players do not have to fight it.

The players gain on average 2 levels per map, and should find one of the ways out by the time they hit 20.
TommyTwoToes
And the Ogre in room A22 hit the Summoner's pet for 30 damage (it was a crit), sending it's broken and bleeding body across the room.

"But shouldn't it return to it's home plane?" queries the Summoner.

"Well, from everything you have seen before, that's what should happen. It doesn't happen this time though."

"Well, crap. It died?"

"Looks like it to you."

"Lets cook it and eat it." says the goblin theif.

And so begins the gradual decline in celstial dophin populations, as the party realizes that monsters summoned into the Dungeon canot return home when killed or when the spell runs out.
Dumori
I'm gestalting to solo it as my none gestalt builds can't do it with out twinking so much I feel bad and requiring a small hand full of metagaming.
Teknobabel
In the two months since my last post in this thread I have lost 8 characters smile.gif once 4 went down in one session and 1 every other session, lots of fun, this is getting rather crazy now.

Mind you, the team dynamic has completely changed as well, I started out playing the cleric and the paladin and now i've got the the barbarian and the rogue (I rolled ridiculous for the rogue, his 4th lowest roll was a 16). One session we got sick of facing so many goblins after we each lost two characters so we all rolled fighters and barbarians and went on a rampage, only one PC survived smile.gif DM got annoyed with having to face 6 characters all with cleave and powerattack

The worst thing was the wererat, caused a tpk when 1 session after the one character who got bitten ended up biting the rest of the party and the cleric lost alignment, ditto the paladin, and then both lost their gods and when you lose your god down here you are screwed

On the plus side the barbarian is now carrying something like 6 magical weapons, including a ridiculous +2 vicious longsword of plant bane, yeah thats really useful down here, i'm told there's a tendriculos 2-3 zones away so it'll be useful then, until then its just a line on a piece of paper since the DM isn't bothering with loads and carry weights (how many tower shields can you get away with before the DM complains, answer: 7)

We did find our first half plate though, so when we get someone that can use it it'll be useful (thats also a line on a piece of paper), the fighter has that magical reappearing +2 ghost touch breastplate that everyone in the party has had at some point and he can't get rid of until he dies

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012