Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sangre y Acero * Pit-fighting Arena *
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Simon Kerimov
Beneath the dark streets of Tenochititlan lie the bloodiest pit-fighting dens in the Sixth World. Unaugmented metahumans rarely last long in the gore-stained arenas, and combatants often introduce new and unusual cyberweapons to surprise their enemies and titillate the crowd. The fighters who have survived longest collect a body of tricks and techniques known as Sangre y Acero – Blood and Steel.
-- SR4::Arsenal : Martial Arts

********************************************************************************
*** SANGRE Y ACERO ***

THE MAD HATTER VS THE GNOMISH MAGE KILLER

********************************************************************************

CHAMPION

THE MAD HATTER!

MELTING YOUR MIND WITH FORCE 11 SPELLS, THE MAD HATTER WILL BEAT YOUR BRAINS OUT OF YOUR EARS!

THIS SNEAKY, MAGICAL, MONSTEROUS, MAGNIFICENT PIXIE WILL DISGRACE YOU AND FEED YOU TO THE GODS!

COME CHALLENGE THE CHAMPION AND GIVE YOUR HEART TO

THE MAD HATTER

LEAGUE RULES

• Almost none. Make whatever you want and as abuses become obvious, that tactic will be banned, and the user shamed.
  • As a pit fight, guns are discouraged, but there are no rules against them other than the booing of the crowd.
  • Winners get 1 Edge refreshed.
  • Winners have a time to perform First Aid or Healing between bouts, enough for 1 roll. Any damage remaining is carried over to the next fight.

ARENA DESCRIPTION

Since Sangre y Acero is in Aztlan, it is going to be fought inside of a ullamaliztli, one of the ball courts for the mesoamerican ballgame. The ullamaliztli were used for playing the ballgame, for wrestling, and for festivals and parties.
  • Ullamaliztli have a length to width ratio of about 4:1, with smaller courts being about 16 by 4 meters with a 3 meter tall retaining wall.
  • At each end of the court there is an end zone about two meters deep, so the whole field looks like a giant "I".
  • Along the width of the court, there is the 4 meters of flat area that is the playing alley, and beyond that the sides are sloped up to the height of the 3 meter retaining wall at some angle depending on construction (there did not appear to be a rule on how steep to make it). Lets go with 4 meters on either side, sloping up to the 3 meter retaining wall, so the angle is about 37 degrees.
  • At the end zones, the 3 meter retaining wall is vertical.
  • In the middle of the playing alley, at the top of the slope are large stone rings that have a hole slightly larger than a metahuman head. These are the goals, and the size is not accidental.
  • The playing alley is dirt or grass, and the walls are masonry (Object Resist of 2).
  • Surrounding the court area are structures for spectators to sit in, raising the height of the court by another 2 meters. Those 2 meters are adorned with tzompantli, or skull racks (Object Resist of 1).
  • There is a Blood Aspected Background Count of 2.

VICTORY

When fights end, the winner can choose to:

• Sacrifice the defeated to the Smoking Mirror for 5,000 nuyen.gif
  • Kill them, keep them, maim them, enslave them, eat them, or let them go for 2 Karma.
Traul
CHAMPION

THE MAD HATTER, pixie druid

[ Spoiler ]
Traul
Healing before the fight begins :
Magic 6
Background count -2
Spellcasting 4
Wound -1
Total 7
Casting Heal Force 4 (7d6.hits(5)=2)

Drain value: 4S
Intuition 8
Willpower 7
Total 15
Drain soak (15d6.hits(5)=3)

Heals 2P, suffers 1S
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 3 2010, 07:01 PM) *
Healing before the fight begins :
Magic 6
Background count -2
Spellcasting 4
Wound -1
Total 7
Casting Heal Force 4 (7d6.hits(5)=2)

Drain value: 4S
Intuition 8
Willpower 7
Total 15
Drain soak (15d6.hits(5)=3)

Heals 2P, suffers 1S

Oh dear. Are we putting the fights back-to-back? Perhaps we can up the reward for anyone who is willing to run back-to-back. On second round, 7,500 nuyen.gif or 3 Karma?
Traul
It's supposed to be ruthless, isn't it? We will see if it is possible to maintain balance: it will get boring if the challenger always gets an easy fight. Maybe gaining an Edge for victory would be fair, though.
Simon Kerimov
I like it. I'll update the League Rules.
Saint Sithney
If you want to hold off on a general BC until after Hatter or Dime eventually goes down, I'm good with that.
Both of us made characters without that as a consideration, and I brought my own little area of rating 4 BC, so he'll already have to face +2 DV drain if he tries to toss spells at me. biggrin.gif
Simon Kerimov
That's up to you two. The Blood aspected background count will go up for the next fight, you can choose to use it or ignore it for this one.
Karoline
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 3 2010, 09:10 PM) *
That's up to you two. The Blood aspected background count will go up for the next fight, you can choose to use it or ignore it for this one.

I figure it should be up, especially with that fresh sacrifice.
Saint Sithney
I say we keep it tame for now. I don't even know how astral visibility modifiers would effect Dual-natured sight. I don't think there's even a faq entry on that one.. too hairy. Keep it simple, yeah?
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 3 2010, 09:42 PM) *
I say we keep it tame for now. I don't even know how astral visibility modifiers would effect Dual-natured sight. I don't think there's even a faq entry on that one..

Depends on if your preceving or not. If so then you get penalties, if you're using your meat eyes then no.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 3 2010, 06:44 PM) *
Depends on if your preceving or not. If so then you get penalties, if you're using your meat eyes then no.

I thought Dual-natured was always on..?
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 3 2010, 08:55 PM) *
I thought Dual-natured was always on..?

It is, but astral preception can be turned on and off.

Also, Whiplash is ready to take on the winner smile.gif
Traul
Anyway, Background counts do not stack, do they? So it will make little difference for this fight.
Karoline
Correct, they do not stack, the largest one takes precedent.
Saint Sithney
But mine only has a 1m radius, so it won't affect you unless you cast into it or I corner you. rotate.gif
Anyway,
HERE COMES THE CHALLENGER

Damian "DIME" Azeri, The Gnomish Magemasher!

Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]
Simon Kerimov
The crowd gets restless, a mutter gets louder and becomes a chant:

"Sangre. Sangre. Sangre! Sangre! SANGRE! SANGRE! SANGRE!"

As the chanting begins to turn angry and violent, a sudden gout of flame from the sacrificial bowl changes the anger to suprise. The lights drop, spotlights turn on and focus in front of the altar where your host can be seen smiling.

"Let there be blood. Welcome to Sangre y Acero, Blood and Steel, the Pit. There are no rules, there is only blood.

"You all know him, you've just seen him slaughter the champion, welcome the new Champion:

THE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD HAAAAAAAAAAAATTER!

"His challenger, Dime Aeri, the Gnomish Mageslayer! He may look like a child, but don't let that fool you! He'll snap your neck before you know it, his arm's put trolls to shame, let's here it for:

THE CHROOOOOME GNOOOOOOOOOME!"
Saint Sithney
"Say, brah. Time is bullets. Let's rock this piece."

Initiative: 13d6.hits(5) = (4)
Total Initiative - 17

PHYSICAL
[ ][ ][ ]-[ ][ ][ ]--[ ][ ][ ]---[ ]

STUN
[ ][ ][ ]-[ ][ ][ ]--[ ][ ][ ]---[ ][ ][ ]

EDGE
[x][x][x][x][x]
toturi
QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 4 2010, 10:43 AM) *
Correct, they do not stack, the largest one takes precedent.

Not precisely. The FAQ only deals with Mana Static and Background Count interaction.

It might be that the lower Background Count may take precedent in other instances.
Traul
Made suspicous by the previous fight with a ghoul, he Mad Hatter assenses his new opponent during their presentation:

"What the fuck is that?"

Initiative (17d6.hits(5)=cool.gif
Total 25

"Lucky I still have my 3 jokers. It's time to call a friend."

Movement action: go get cover behind a tzim... tzam... skull rack.

"Oh great spirits of Nature, your humble servant needs your help to clean the world from an abomination to all that lives. *Now is not the right time to mention that I got into this mess on my own.* Great Dagda, father of all storms, please lend me one of them."

Complex action: summoning Force 8 thunder spirit (air spirit with Elemental Attack and Energy Aura)
Magic 6
Summoning 3
Background count -2
Total 7
Summon air spirit (7d6.hits(5)=4)

Spirit resisting
Resist summoning (8d6.hits(5)=4)

Burn a permanent Edge for critical success.

Drain value: 6P
Intuition 8
Willpower 7
Total 15
Summoning drain soak (15d6.hits(5)=5)
Suffers 1P, wound penalty -1

"Fly over the abomination and destroy it! But keep your distances: he is dangerous..."

Spirit initiative (15d6.hits(5)=5)
Total 20, although his base should be 16, not 15. This is a typo in SR4A.
Does he get to act this pass?
IcyCool
Bah, you two need to play to the crowd! Keep the witty banter going. Nobody cares about impressive amounts of die rolling, it's the crowd that makes a champion!

Take your cues from Gork, who really knew how to play to the crowd: "GORK can SMELL YOUR FEAR! AND MANY OTHER UNPLEASANT ODORS!" - Makes me laugh every time I read it.

*sigh* I already miss Gork...
Saint Sithney
Here comes the pain, flappy!

Free action: run around cover and engage Hatter (assuming 7 meters is enough to engage)
Complex Action: Slice and dice (5 skill + 9 agl + 2 spec) = [6 hits] + edge to reroll misses for [3 more hits] 9 is your lucky number.

[oh snap, I forgot my +2 charging bonus.. 0 on initial 1 hit on the reroll? So, 10 is the number to beat?]
Traul
Interrupt to go on full defense
Reaction 11 + Dodge 6 + Dodge 6 + Specialization 2 - Wound 1 = 24 dice
dodge (24d6.hits(5)=10)

"Not this time, kid!"

The spirit materializes some 3 meters over Dime.

"I'm terribly sorry, I forgot to introduce you two. Baby, this is Angry. Angry, this is Baby. Angry is romantic at heart: he likes wind, storm, thunder and bad weather in general. Angry does not like wood, rubber, and astral aberrations that should be wiped from this world."

Next pass:
Initiative 24, the Mad Hatter uses his free action to fly above the spirit.

"And now, prepare to face the dreaded secret ancestral pixie combat technique: ducking behind bigger than oneself!"

Initiative 20: Angry tries to zap Dime.
Agility 9, Exotic Ranged Weapon 6, DV 4S(e).
Elemental attack (15d6.hits(5)=4)
Saint Sithney
The shit is this? I thought we was havin a brawl?!

Interrupt to do on full defense.
Complex action: 7 rea + 4 dodge +2 MBW +2 Reakt = [3 hits] edge reroll failures [6 more] for 9. Thaaaat's a miss.

DIME's pass
Free action: Run across court until Mad Hatter is visible above the elemental.

3rd IP: If that's how you want it, bucko.

Free action: start cyberarm gyromount
Iaijutsu! (3): 5 skill + 2 spec + 7 reaction = [5 hits] quickdraws weapon.
spun into Complex Action: Full-auto High-velocity wide burst (-11 to dodge)! 5 skill, +2 spec + 9 Agl (-1 recoil) = [6 hits] (last hit subtracted to account for forgotten recoil) edge reroll for the nail in the coffin. Pays off! [4 more hits!] Total 10 hits!
DV = 5P +1 (Ex ammo) + net hits.

PHYSICAL
[ ][ ][ ]-[ ][ ][ ]--[ ][ ][ ]---[ ]

STUN
[ ][ ][ ]-[ ][ ][ ]--[ ][ ][ ]---[ ][ ][ ]

EDGE
[x][x][ ][ ][ ]

(if you want to call cover, we could treat this like two long bursts at -5 each, for you and inky since you're in 1 meter of each other..)
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 4 2010, 04:30 PM) *
spun into Complex Action: Full-auto High-velocity wide burst (-11 to dodge)! 5 skill, +2 spec + 9 Agl (-1 recoil)

Wow, how the heck did you get an HV weapon down to -1 recoil?

Edit: Oh, right, gyromount. Isn't that for heavy weapons?

Edit2: Yeah, you stacked recoil mods that can't be stacked with each other. Gyromount is incompatible with both sling and foregrip. You have 2 internal, 3 gas vent, and 3 from gyromount. Need to knock off another 2 dice from the initial attack, not that it changes anything since both were misses anyway.
Traul
QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 4 2010, 11:45 PM) *
Edit2: Yeah, you stacked recoil mods that can't be stacked with each other. Gyromount is incompatible with both sling and foregrip. You have 2 internal, 3 gas vent, and 3 from gyromount. Need to knock off another 2 dice from the initial attack, not that it changes anything since both were misses anyway.

It changes on the reroll: the 2 dice less should carry on, and those are 2 hits.
Karoline
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 4 2010, 05:05 PM) *

It changes on the reroll: the 2 dice less should carry on, and those are 2 hits.

Oh yeah, was thinking about the reroll wrong. Well, on the bright side at a -11 to dodge, there is a decent chance you'll tag something, and you actually managed to do enough damage to break an F6 spirit's armor without a sniper rifle or SnS rounds (Unless it gets really lucky)
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 4 2010, 02:45 PM) *
Edit2: Yeah, you stacked recoil mods that can't be stacked with each other. Gyromount is incompatible with both sling and foregrip. You have 2 internal, 3 gas vent, and 3 from gyromount. Need to knock off another 2 dice from the initial attack, not that it changes anything since both were misses anyway.[/i]

Cyberarm Gyromount isn't listed in the arsenal compatibility section. Only thing its description says it's incompatable with is a regular Gyromount. But I guess we can call it a -3 if you don't like Strength-assisted RC too. I'll have to break out the stock next time I get an action.. spin.gif

Anyway, I forgot my +1 bonus from Sync, so that should be in there as well.
[edit: oops. NVM. Sync would only matter if I was attacking the spirit.]
Traul
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 4 2010, 11:30 PM) *
(if you want to call cover, we could treat this like two long bursts at -5 each, for you and inky since you're in 1 meter of each other..)

Can't do that now, since it is not what you announced. I will just use good cover and the spirit immunity will protect from collateral damage since he is not the target. So we settle on 8 hits? wink.gif

Reaction 11
Wide burst -11
Good Cover +4
Wound -1
Total 3
Dodge (3d6.hits(5)=1)

DV:13P
Body 3, armor 9
Total 12
Bullet Soak (12d6.hits(5)=5)
Suffers 8P, is 1 into overflow. It is the end of the Mad Hatter frown.gif But he can still waste the sacrifice biggrin.gif

So definitely, Edge refreshing between fights is mandatory.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 4 2010, 03:40 PM) *

So definitely, Edge refreshing between fights is mandatory.

Yeah.. otherwise, the revolving-door thing is going to be an issue.

I'll still start next fight with 2+1 edge though. I wanna duke it out. Anyway...
Karoline
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 4 2010, 05:40 PM) *
Suffers 8P, is 1 into overflow. It is the end of the Mad Hatter frown.gif But he can still waste the sacrifice biggrin.gif

Not till he actually dies wink.gif

"A gun and a spirit? If I'd wanted this I would have watched a Trid."
Saint Sithney
The Mad Hatter Falls!

The crowd isn't too happy about this one. After watching the Champion, GORK, put to sleep, only to have his HEART cut out of his chest in reverence of the great Tezcatlipoca, He by whom we live, we are treated to an exhibition in HIDING and GUNPLAY! Oh, and what's this? Azeri is walking up to the bleeding Pixie. His right arm just shot out! Plunging metal spikes through his downed foe! And he's... he's thrown him up into the back retaining wall with surprising ease!

Now he's shooting him! He's shooting him and, what's this?! He seems to be spraying his name into the back wall, with BULLETS!! D... A... I... M... Wait.. I don't think that's how dime is supposed to be spelled..

Artisan test 2 skill + 6 Int = [2 hits] It's.. an okay tag.

Ha-ha-ha motherfuckers. I may look like I'm ten, but I go up to eleven!

What a disgrace... Someone needs to put this kid in his place..

+2 Karma
Karoline
An elven woman stands up from the crowd.

"It's a shame, Gork at least put on a good show. I may not be able to match his showmanship, but I can match his bloodlust." As she speaks, her hair shifts from blond to a light brunet, and ends with a red tinge to it. Her last word carries a chill to it that causes many to give a shiver. She seems to radiate a palpable aura that should be feared.

She steps into the ring, taking from each hip a small metal rod about 4 inches in length.

"Now, why don't you put that toy away and fight like a man." she says, finishing the last word with a grin, her hair turning a deep red, and seeming to radiate another chill. She moves her weight to her back leg, arms forward and out some, elbows bent, an obvious defensive stance. "You first." As she waits, her hair loses some of its red, slowly gaining blond highlights.

Starting the battle in full defensive.

Init (10d6.hits(5)=3) Final Init: 13
Saint Sithney
"Hahaha, 'Why don't I put it away?' Because it's still hot as fuck!"
He opens the rear breach mechanism with his metal hand, pulling out a caseless magazine, partially melted near where it met the weapon's receiver. "Come on over, an I'll let ya touch it..." Stupid grin on his face, he wags the mag a couple of times before dropping it into the dirt and pulling a second one from behind his back. He blows once into the breach and slides the new mag home, closing it up in a slow, deliberate manner. "Just some insurance." He pulls the foldable stock out, "If you start flying or some shit.." clicks off the spinning gyro weights on his arm and stows the weapon on his back.

"In case you missed the writing on the wall, the name is DAIM, like Daimler-Benz. Built to last."
He stands square shouldered.
"And you are?"
Karoline
The newcomer holds her ground as Diam reloads his weapon, her hair now fully blond.

"Yeah yeah, I got it dime, you don't feel safe without your blanky. Don't worry, I only play tricks on tricksters. As for me..." she pauses, spinning on the spot. A weight detaches from the end of one of the rods, and a thin glint of metal can be seen, a line connecting weight and rod. She swings it around in a smooth, controlled motion, the weight passing behind one of the skull racks, and appearing on the other side. With a slight 'hiss' the line can be heard being rewound into the rod, the weight snapping into place. "I'm called Whiplash." Dramatically the skull rack collapses, an entire row of skulls cleanly cut in half along with the supports.

Intimidation to try and shake Diam.
Charisma 4
Intimidation (Mental) 3
Nasty Vibe 3
Wielding a Weapon 2
Total: 12
Intimidation (12d6.hits(5)=3)

The crowd at least seems to enjoy the display, letting out a cheer as the rack crumples to the ground. "Whiplash Whiplash Whiplash!"
Saint Sithney
Willpower 7 + 1 Daredrenaline + 2 oblivious to danger (Thrill-Seeker with Daredrenaline) - 1 defaulting = [2 hits]

"Ooooh... you're making me ~*tingle*~ all over.." His eyes light up and go wild.

Initiative: 13 + [3 hits] = 16

(New thread?)
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 4 2010, 08:56 PM) *
(New thread?)

Sounds good to me. I'll go ahead and make it since Simon is busy having fun at Gencon or somewhere.
Karoline
Whiplash is in full defensive, and you have the first move
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 4 2010, 06:58 PM) *
Sounds good to me. I'll go ahead and make it since Simon is busy having fun at Gencon or somewhere.

Cool, I'm going to have to hold off posting until later though. I've been up 28 hours now and am only still around since I got over-caffeinated for my patho exam.

Are you just pre-emptively using an Interrupt full defense, or is this a surprise defense instead of a surprise attack? nyahnyah.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 4 2010, 10:13 PM) *
Cool, I'm going to have to hold off posting until later though. I've been up 28 hours now and am only still around since I got over-caffeinated for my patho exam.

Are you just pre-emptively using an Interrupt full defense, or is this a surprise defense instead of a surprise attack? nyahnyah.gif

It basically runs on the theory that even though no one was tracking them, combat turns still passed while we were having our verbal banter, and Whiplash simply used the last turn before anything happens to go on full defense (which lasts until her next action). In other words she is continually using full defense option until you do something, so she'll still have her turn after you attack.
Saint Sithney
Starting in full dodge is pretty bunk. Count it as a spent point of Edge maybe? Otherwise it's free dice which is quite lame on a skill + atr vs. skill + skill + atr test. This doesn't need to turn into a contest as to who can delay their actions the longest. :-\

Where's your Bloodlust!

DERP: Almost forgot. If a Dodge bonus is to the skill itself, like MBW, Reflex Recorder or and Adept's Increased Skill power, does that count twice on a full dodge? I figure something like a MA bonus to Melee Dodge or a specialization ought to only count once, but, direct skill boosts, I'm not so sure about.
Karoline
She's just starting in a defensive stance. You don't have to attack when you know she is ready for you.

I mean haven't you ever seen a movie with a melee fight in it before? One person nearly always starts on the defensive.

If it is to the skill itself, and thus capped by natural skill rating x 1.5, then yeah, it goes into both tests. So reflex recorder to dodge and adept powers to dodge and MBW to dodge would all count twice.
Traul
"Less whining, more fighting!"
toturi
It is fighting. Just not a fight you are prepared for.
Saint Sithney
I'm just expecting a skill of 10 being used to parry, so that's 10 free dice - Brought about by assuming that the slower character controls the pace of combat - Or that combat begins before engagement. Neither of those things is accurate. If a character wants to begin the combat on full defense, regardless of lower initiative, there's a rule for that. It's called an Interrupt action.

Otherwise, it's like your just jumping around for no reason or, more likely, just spinning the monowhips madly... which brings up images of Indiana Jones to me.
wink.gif
Karoline
It isn't an assumption that the slower character controls the pace of combat, it is an assumption that time exists before combat beings, which it does. There is no rule that says that you must attack every turn and there are no other options in the game. You could not attack.

And really, its more like she's sitting back in a defensive stance, ready for you to attack. Nothing in the books says that a full defense means that you are actively doing anything to not get hit, since you
can take one before there is anyone attacking you.

But, you know, if it is such a big deal to you that someone can start in a defensive position, then I won't do it.
Traul
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 7 2010, 07:46 AM) *
I'm just expecting a skill of 10 being used to parry, so that's 10 free dice - Brought about by assuming that the slower character controls the pace of combat - Or that combat begins before engagement. Neither of those things is accurate. If a character wants to begin the combat on full defense, regardless of lower initiative, there's a rule for that. It's called an Interrupt action.

Otherwise, it's like your just jumping around for no reason or, more likely, just spinning the monowhips madly... which brings up images of Indiana Jones to me.
wink.gif

Dude, you're making an ass of yourself. Really.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Karoline @ Aug 7 2010, 05:55 AM) *
But, you know, if it is such a big deal to you that someone can start in a defensive position, then I won't do it.

No. I totally believe that you can start in a defensive position, I just believe that it is your first combat action, not your 0th action. It is up to you (and your edge) to take the momentum.

QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 7 2010, 06:32 AM) *
Dude, you're making an ass of yourself. Really.

That means a lot from a guy who made a broken ass pixie dodge monkey mage for a cybernetic pit-fight thread, just to prove that he shouldn't be allowed to... ohplease.gif
Simon Kerimov
[...] a guy who made a broken ass pixie dodge monkey mage for a cybernetic pit-fight thread, just to prove that he shouldn't be allowed to... ohplease.gif

"Ahh, but isn't that the very point of a pit-fight? There are no rules to Sangre y Acero, until we make them. We point to an interpenetration of the rules and let our capers and showmanship be our arguments. The fighters and the blood thirsty crowd determine what will govern here beneath the altar. Let the broken nature of our gladiators be our pride and the pitiless insults of the crowd be our guiding light."
Saint Sithney
So, Simon, redlining a cyberlimb? Yes or no?

(see augmentation p44)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012