Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sangre y Acero * Pit-fighting Arena *
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Karoline
Beneath the dark streets of Tenochititlan lie the bloodiest pit-fighting dens in the Sixth World. Unaugmented metahumans rarely last long in the gore-stained arenas, and combatants often introduce new and unusual cyberweapons to surprise their enemies and titillate the crowd. The fighters who have survived longest collect a body of tricks and techniques known as Sangre y Acero – Blood and Steel.
-- SR4::Arsenal : Martial Arts

********************************************************************************
*** SANGRE Y ACERO ***

THE GNOMISH MAGE KILLER VS WHIPLASH

********************************************************************************

CHAMPION

THE MAGEMASHER!

USING HV WEAPONS TO TURN HIS OPPONENT INTO GRAFFITI THIS LITTLE GNOME IS READY TO TURN YOUR MAGIC TO DUST

AND TURN WHAT IS LEFT INTO RED MIST. MAY NOT BE A FAN FAVORITE FOR TACTICS CHOICES, BUT YOU HAVE TO LOVE HIS FINISHING MOVE

COME CHALLENGE THE CHAMPION AND GIVE YOUR HEART TO

THE MAGEMASHER

LEAGUE RULES

• Almost none. Make whatever you want and as abuses become obvious, that tactic will be banned, and the user shamed.
  • As a pit fight, guns are discouraged, but there are no rules against them other than the booing of the crowd.
  • Winners get 1 Edge refreshed.
  • Winners have a time to perform First Aid or Healing between bouts, enough for 1 roll. Any damage remaining is carried over to the next fight.

ARENA DESCRIPTION

Since Sangre y Acero is in Aztlan, it is going to be fought inside of a ullamaliztli, one of the ball courts for the mesoamerican ballgame. The ullamaliztli were used for playing the ballgame, for wrestling, and for festivals and parties.
  • Ullamaliztli have a length to width ratio of about 4:1, with smaller courts being about 16 by 4 meters with a 3 meter tall retaining wall.
  • At each end of the court there is an end zone about two meters deep, so the whole field looks like a giant "I".
  • Along the width of the court, there is the 4 meters of flat area that is the playing alley, and beyond that the sides are sloped up to the height of the 3 meter retaining wall at some angle depending on construction (there did not appear to be a rule on how steep to make it). Lets go with 4 meters on either side, sloping up to the 3 meter retaining wall, so the angle is about 37 degrees.
  • At the end zones, the 3 meter retaining wall is vertical.
  • In the middle of the playing alley, at the top of the slope are large stone rings that have a hole slightly larger than a metahuman head. These are the goals, and the size is not accidental.
  • The playing alley is dirt or grass, and the walls are masonry (Object Resist of 2).
  • Surrounding the court area are structures for spectators to sit in, raising the height of the court by another 2 meters. Those 2 meters are adorned with tzompantli, or skull racks (Object Resist of 1).
  • There is a Blood Aspected Background Count of 2.

VICTORY

When fights end, the winner can choose to:

• Sacrifice the defeated to the Smoking Mirror for 5,000 nuyen.gif
  • Kill them, keep them, maim them, enslave them, eat them, or let them go for 2 Karma.

Saint Sithney
Fresh off his wild, sacrilegious atrocity! The last man standing! Our Champion-by-default! That son of a bitch...
The CHROME GNOME!!!
Damian. DAIM. Azeri. The Gnomish Magemasher!

Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

Daredrenaline Composure test (3) = 4 hits
Thrill seeker Composure test (3) = 2 hits uh-oh!
Combat Mage
I noticed you have foregrip on the Praetor SMG. The Praetor can't have underbarrel accessories.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Combat Mage @ Aug 6 2010, 03:04 PM) *
I noticed you have foregrip on the Praetor SMG. The Praetor can't have underbarrel accessories.

It's a modification, which means that the essential nature of the gun itself was altered (despite the fact that the RL p93 is basically built around an ambidextrous two-handed grip design..)
Besides, I only have it there in case I don't have a free action to engage the gyros. Puts me at -2 instead of -1 (if Str-related RC is used.)

Anyway. This isn't a gun battle. It's a throw-down!
Karoline
A newcomer enters the ring, dissatisfied with the gunplay of the last match, she intends to show the champ how its really done
With twin monowhips ready to remove limbs: Whiplash

Sheet
[ Spoiler ]
Saint Sithney
Still riding the high from his first kill of the night, a slightly cracked Daim starts to bounce up and down on his toes. Wiggling more and more as his body limbers up, he rolls his shoulders then starts flexing his arms in a slinky wave motion. His right arm starts to grow and grow as he waves it, stretching out a full meter beyond his normal, albeit slight, reach.

"da-na-na-na na, da na na-na na-na na." His twisted smile somehow becomes bigger as spurs in his hand shoot in and out repeatedly until they drip visibly. Still smiling, he takes a long sucking breath and belts out.

"HO. HO. HO. Well, hey little Elf girl, jolly ol Narco-claws says it's time to open your Punchmas presents!"

Initiative: 13 + [3 hits] = 16

Free action: Charge!
Complex action: Rip and tear! 5 skill + 9 Agl + 2 charge attack + 2 specialization = 8 hits edge reroll for [1 hit] (wah-wah-waaah) 9 is your number.

PHYSICAL
[ ][ ][ ]-[ ][ ][ ]--[ ][ ][ ]---[ ]

STUN
[ ][ ][ ]-[ ][ ][ ]--[ ][ ][ ]---[ ][ ][ ]

EDGE
[x][x][ ][ ][ ]

{forgot to ask if you want to apply your reach bonus to defense or as a penalty on my end.}
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 7 2010, 10:49 PM) *
{forgot to ask if you want to apply your reach bonus to defense or as a penalty on my end.}

Yeah, wanted to apply it to lowering your attack as opposed to raising my own. Do you have any reach?

Edit: I just noticed that you have too many qualities. Martial arts count towards your 35 BP/70 Karma cap on qualities.
Karoline
Whiplash watches as the Gnome's arm seems to extend significantly in comparison to his tiny small body, her hair turning a soft shade of blue as she watches. When the spurs extend from his hands, her eyes narrow a bit, realize that he is finally getting serious... well, almost.

"Narcojet and bad puns? Lets hope I win just so the crowd doesn't have to suffer you any longer."

Rea 5 + Skill 9 + Combat Sense 5 + Personal Grip 1 + Attunement 2 = 22d6.hits(5)=5 Using edge to reroll misses 17d6.hits(5)=6 Total 11 hits

Whiplash flicks her wrist, sending the weight of her left whip flying out, another flick sends the line spinning in a wide arc in front of her, forcing Dime to halt his attack for fear of loosing the entire arm. Her hair remains blond at this point, with slight red highlights.

"My turn, hold still and it'll be quick."

With her customary combat quip out of the way she swings around her right arm, the weight sailing out, the line coming at her opponent in what seems like a fairly straightforward attack, but at the last moment, as a dodge or block is attempted, she sidesteps, drawing the line back some before striking again with it from a different angle, with far less time to react, hoping to catch her opponent off guard.

Agi 11 + Skill 9 + Personal Grip 1 + Attunement 2 - Offhand Weapon 2 = 21d6.hits(5)=7
Saint Sithney
I've got 1 reach with the arm, so I'll apply -1 on my side of things until you say otherwise. Really, what we need is Simon to GM, so we can have some official rulings. Stuff like, when to declare things (like using edge for an extra IP) and so forth. Oh well. We'll see if anybody else is interested in playing before we worry about that.. I'll drop the capoeria dodge bonus I guess. I assume that you'll still be starting with 3+ levels of initiation though. nyahnyah.gif

Interrupt action: Full dodge 7 Rea + 6 skill + 6 skill + 2 spec + 2 Reakt -1 Reach = [6 hits] edge reroll [5 more hits] So that's a miss.

2nd Pass:
Complex action: Interrupted!
Free action: Taunt

Daim twirls and jumps and ducks out of the path of the invisible spinning line.
"There's a Double Dutch Bus coming down the street. Movin' kinda fast, so kinda shuffle your feet."

PHYSICAL

STUN

EDGE
[x][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Karoline
Sorry, only 1 IP over here, so your 3rd IP or init time.
Saint Sithney
Your Sustaining Focus should still be functioning at rating 1, right? I've got absolutely no problem with assuming that it's running an Increased Reflexes spell at lvl 1. Nobody should be in a pit fight with only 1 IP...
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 8 2010, 08:08 PM) *
Your Sustaining Focus should still be functioning at rating 1, right? I've got absolutely no problem with assuming that it's running an Increased Reflexes spell at lvl 1. Nobody should be in a pit fight with only 1 IP...

Yeah, except that IR needs at least F2 to give any bonuses. Wasn't considering background count when I got the stuff. Don't worry though, she should still be alright wink.gif

Edit: Not sure if it is needed yet or not but... Init (10d6.hits(5)=6) for total of 16 init. Shame I wasted the best roll I've had so far on something I don't care about nyahnyah.gif

Edit2: See now why I wanted to start in full defense so much? wink.gif
Saint Sithney
Cram then? A ¥10 pill isn't much to spot you. I... just can't imagine a pit-fight with only one IP. I don't really want to win so much as make a good go of it before I die.. and 3:1 is so much nastier than 3:2..
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 9 2010, 10:43 PM) *
Cram then? A ¥10 pill isn't much to spot you. I... just can't imagine a pit-fight with only one IP. I don't really want to win so much as make a good go of it before I die.. and 3:1 is so much nastier than 3:2..

Don't worry, I have a trick up my sleeve. Just take your third IP already wink.gif
Saint Sithney
"No! You're supposed to alternate the ropes in double dutch! 1 2 1 2 1 2!"

Complex Action: stabbing practice (9 agl + 5 skill + 2 Spec + 1 Synch) = [4 hits]

Free action: Run back to disengage.

PHYSICAL

STUN

EDGE
[x][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Karoline
"Alright, here is your alternating."

Whiplash grins widely as the gnome gets close to attempt another strike, this time allowing him to get closer, a twirl of her wrist causing the whip line to coil, seemingly wide, but once it is too late for the Gnome to pull back, she pulls her own arm away, causing the coils to tighten like a net around the unfortunate Gnome's arm.

Two weapon style allows for full defense with my main hand since I attacked with my off hand.
Disarm allows me to take a -4 penalty to disarm as part of my full defense.
Martial Arts allows me to deal damage on a disarm

Rea 5 + Skill 9 + Combat Sense 5 + Personal Grip 1 + Attunement 2 + Dodge 4 + Spec 2 - Disarm 4 (24d6.hits(5)=13) *cough* wow... So, that's 9 net hits, which means you suffer a 17P -4 attack and you are disarmed (Perhaps literally in this case nyahnyah.gif ) though I don't know that I can successfully disarm a cyberweapon.

I won't do anything with the second attack yet, as that one may well KO you.
Glyph
Technically, weapons need to be reach 0 or 1 to use two weapon style (I wonder if you could use a partially retracted monowhip with it. Hmm). Other than that, nice triple cheese combo. biggrin.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 10 2010, 10:20 PM) *
Technically, weapons need to be reach 0 or 1 to use two weapon style (I wonder if you could use a partially retracted monowhip with it. Hmm). Other than that, nice triple cheese combo. biggrin.gif

I don't know about triple cheese. The martial arts specifically points out that it works with the disarm maneuver, so that was obviously expected. The only cheese part is two weapon style, which is honestly cheese on its own, without combining it with anything. Lets you full defense and attack at the same time, so basically gives you two complex actions. Other than that it is nothing special.
Saint Sithney
I was sort of counting on the fact that I wasn't holding a weapon to protect me from disarms, but I guess that's a technicality so rather than getting hung up I'll play it forward. By the way, that whole thing is worded really weirdly, what with it saying it does damage on a Called Shot, but then points you to the disarm maneuver as well, which since it claims no damage doesn't give any indication as to where the hits for potential damage come from. I wish there was a GM (*cough*Simon?*cough*) who could make impartial decisions on this or any set of circumstances. Anyway, rolling with your interpretation, I need to clarify some things since you're not declaring your actions. 2nd attack? Are you using an Interrupt action to simultaneously go on full defense and get a normal attack? That's okay.. I guess, but you don't get any more reach penalties/bonuses (which I apparently forgot about on my attack!) since you obviously have customized half-sized monowhips... Impact armor for Dam res, yeah? I'll retcon my last attack for CT 2.

Rolling Damage resistance 11 Impact + 5 body + 5 edge - 4 AP = yeah, Burning edge for critical success (according to precedent, this can only be done once a match) 17 hits! Full soak! What are the chances?!

Just as the wire noose tightens around Daim's arm, he pulls it back, severing the blades from the back of his extended hand.

"Pretty sneaky, sis!"

PHYSICAL

STUN

EDGE
[ ][ ][ ][ ]
Karoline
It's true, it doesn't say if net hits from a disarm attempt (either from the defensive maneuver or the offensive called shot) are added to the damage or if it is simply always the base damage of the weapon with no improvements from net hits, but net hits are otherwise pointless, so I figured they would add. The various times I've seen the martial arts ability used, that seems to be how it was done. It'd be fairly useless on some weapons if it didn't though, since many don't do enough damage to not get soaked without some net hits. As for the monowhips, she's just only letting the reel out halfway. I always thought that reach 0 or 1 rule was kind of a stupid addition. If you can wield it one handed, I don't see why you can't use the maneuver, but that's fine, we'll go with reach 1 monowhips smile.gif

As for the action, no it was part of my first action, which was why I attacked with my off hand on my one attack. Suppose maybe I should have declared it, but I wanted it to be a surprise, her entire thing is trying to catch her opponent off guard, and it isn't like using it or not using it changed anything on her previous action, and there is no reason she wouldn't have used it. I'll be sure to declare more clearly in the future, especially since it is out in the open now anyway. So, still your IP1 on turn 2.

P.S. I always forget, does counter spelling require a free action to maintain? That's where her free actions have been going.

"Hehe, didn't mean to break your toy, just remove that growth on your arm." she taunts, her left arm still raised in a defensive position, and her right held back, ready to attack again when the opportunity presents itself. "Haven't scared you off now, have I?"
Simon Kerimov
Karoline, if I have this correctly, you are using Arnis De Mano to add damage on a disarm, you are using the Disarm maneuver, you are using Two Weapon style to be able to split Full Parry off to your primary hand while being able to attack still with your off-hand.

As far as I can tell, everything you are doing checks out according to the rules (except for the Reach on the whips. For some idea as to why that matters, imagine a rhythmic gymnast using two ribbons that will cut her into bits if they touch each other or her). You will have had to use an Interrupt Action for your primary hand to defend against the attack, but your off-hand is unaffected.

The only question comes down to whether you can use disarm on someone who isn't holding a weapon. Here is a video of an Eskrima disarm, not that it matters that much since SR Martial Arts don't have much in common with their real world counterparts. Both the entries for Disarm and the Called Shot to disarm are focused on knocking a weapon out of someones hand.

The three maneuvers that are based on defense are Disarm, Riposte, and Throw. Disarm allows a Full Parry at -4 to knock a weapon out of someone's hand, Riposte allows a successful Full Parry to transition into an Interrupt Action attack, and Throw allows a Full Parry to then introduce someone to falling damage. The only one of these that has a Martial Art advantage to let it do damage is Disarm.

Since we clearly aren't using real world Arnis de Mano, I'd say Disarm needs to have a weapon to disarm. I'll do some looking into the effects of forceful removal of cyber-implant weaponry.
Simon Kerimov
In order to reduce confusion in combat and to allow opponents to plan their tactics better, we will need to explicitly follow the Combat Turn Sequence (SR p132). I've summarized it below (be sure to check the wording in the book, in case I've summarized it incorrectly, or vaguely).

1. Initiative Roll to determine Initiative Score
2. Start Initiative Pass (up to 4)
3. Starting at the highest Initiative Score, Action Phases occur.
a. Declare actions (Simple/Simple, Complex, Delay, *Free)
b. Resolve actions.
4. If IP < 4, goto 3, else, goto 1

*Free Actions can be declared at any point during an Initiative Pass.

On Delayed Actions: SR 134-135
  • A Delayed Action must be declared on 3A of an Action Phase.
  • On the 3A section of the Action Phase that the player wishes to act, they must declare it (so both players must know that a Delayed Action is going to be used on that Action Phase).
  • A Delayed Action can continue to be delayed into the next Initiative Pass, but the players don't get to attack twice that way, the Delayed Action takes the place of the player's normal action.
  • If a player with a Delayed Action wants to act on the same Action Phase as another players non-delayed Action, the Delayed Action must be declared as going before, simultaneously, or after a target's action.
  • If both players have a Delayed Action, and they choose to act on the same Action Phase, ability to choose timing is determined by higher Edge, Initiative, and Reaction (in that order in case of continued ties). If the players have the same Edge, the same Initiative, and the same Reaction, the actions are executed simultaneously.

Simon Kerimov
If no one has called the next fight yet, I've got CLAMPDOWN ready.
Traul
Clampdown cannot have both Bone Denssity Augmentation and Bone lacing. Need to choose one.
Traul
Double post.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 11 2010, 05:00 PM) *
Clampdown cannot have both Bone Denssity Augmentation and Bone lacing. Need to choose one.

Hrm. Where are the incompatibilities listed? I suspected as much, but I didn't see anything in the specific descriptions of the 'ware for it.
Traul
They are in the description of both Bone lacing and Bone density Augmentation, in SR4A at least. Last sentence in each case.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 11 2010, 05:23 PM) *
They are in the description of both Bone lacing and Bone density Augmentation, in SR4A at least. Last sentence in each case.

Ah. I'll have to check the Errata then, since I'm using SR4 and there is nothing mentioned.

Nothing on Errata 1.8

Nothing in the FAQ...

Nothing in the SR4 Changes pdf...

weak sauce. Could you quote the lines for me, or do they just say that they are incompatible?
Saint Sithney
yeah.. the changes and errata are really incomplete..
BTW, Another ruling that might need stating is when you need to declare Edge for an additional IP. I'd say in the post describing your last regular IP of the CT to keep things from getting twisted up. Anyway, back to the action! Also, busting Daim's cyberspur probably isn't in your best interest..

Composure(3) 1 [4 hits]
Composure(3) 2 [4 hits]

Simple action: Retract arm.
"Well, shit... I didn't think to bring a back-up blade.. You got one you could spot me? Nah? Didn't think so.."
Simple action: Iaijutsu!(3) [3 hits]
Spun into: wait!
Free action: Call Shot ground at Whiplash's feet.
Long wide burst. Success test. 9 agl + 5 skill +2 spec + 2 smartlink = [9 hits] That ground is in trouble!

"I'm not going to fight you with a skull-rack if that's what you imagined... I got a payout coming to me from the Ghoul underground, so I'm done if you want me to leave. But if you wanna keep fightin, things are going to get a lot less interesting.."
The 6 smoking craters in the ground tell the tale. Each 10 cm deep hole could have been one in Whiplash's chest..
Simon Kerimov
AND WE HAVE OUR FIRST SURRENDER FOR SANGRE Y ACERO!

Will the DEVASTATING WHIPLASH accept the surrender of THE GNOMISH MAGESLAYER along with a token drop of blood for the SMOKING MIRROR?

OR WILL SHE FACE THE GNOMERGEDDON OF GUNS?

WHAT SAY THE SPECTATORS?
Simon Kerimov
I edited CLAMPDOWN. I gave up the Bone Density augmentation for a Medkit.
Simon Kerimov
So, are we wrapping this fight up? How do we feel like ruling on the Whiplash Maneuver?
Karoline
Sorry, been busy, and likely won't have a chance to get a real post till Sunday. Was going to do a composure test for berserk and go from that, but I suppose we can just consider it over for now.

As for the ruling, I dislike that the maneuver is useless if the person isn't holding a weapon in their hand, as I'd imagine it involves striking at the hand anyway in order to cause damage, but otherwise it all sounded fine to me.

As for the ribbons analogy, we're talking about someone with skill that easily surpasses Olympic grade talent, so I wouldn't imagine she is overly worried about injuring herself with her whips, but still, I don't mind having to drop them to reach 1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012