Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Honest question about my writing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanRay
Should I continue writing these?
TheeGravedigger
I found it an interesting read.
Inpu
Yes, you should. Setting documents like that can be very nice, and the writing was pretty good. It had one or two small hitches here and there (mostly in flow) but it otherwise read nice enough that that was forgiven quickly.

It's especially nice for GMs who want to have something on hand that injects character into the world from a different perspective.
Whitefur
I so like sitting text like this one. Probably going to use it next session. smile.gif If I may?

Your a good writer in my book at least.
Traul
Yes, it was good. Just one word about typesetting: maybe you should differentiate the main text from the comments more. In the books, they use a different font for that, but Italic should be enough. It would make things easier for readers who don't want to read linearly.
Eugene
Depends - are you going to also keep writing fiction vignettes? smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Eugene @ Aug 7 2010, 08:13 AM) *
Depends - are you going to also keep writing fiction vignettes? smile.gif

Yes, but I have to finish the Fallout 3 one that I'm currently working on.

Already starting on ideas for the next Shadowrun one.
CanRay
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 7 2010, 07:04 AM) *
Yes, it was good. Just one word about typesetting: maybe you should differentiate the main text from the comments more. In the books, they use a different font for that, but Italic should be enough. It would make things easier for readers who don't want to read linearly.

Good suggestion, but it's hard to copy/paste that from OpenOffice.Org to the Forums. I'll probably take the time to change the size of the headers, and make other parts Bold to make looking at it easier.
Ascalaphus
It's a nice read, it could actually be a part of a new player's primer on equipment selection.

I do agree that the comments should be more visually distinguishable. Italics would work fine, or somehow altering their position with respect to the left margin. Maybe it'd be easier to put them up as PDF files? That would aid in printing them..
CanRay
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Aug 7 2010, 09:03 AM) *
I do agree that the comments should be more visually distinguishable. Italics would work fine, or somehow altering their position with respect to the left margin. Maybe it'd be easier to put them up as PDF files? That would aid in printing them..

Can be easily enough done, but how'd I get them on the Forums?
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 7 2010, 04:03 PM) *
Can be easily enough done, but how'd I get them on the Forums?

Host it on a website of your own or use a third-party downloadable file hosting service? That's what people mostly seem to do here, though I don't really know which ones are good..
Yerameyahu
Google Docs or Sites are easy ways. Dropbox is a good syncing service with Public/Shared folders. DivShare is another free file hosting option, again with Public/Shared options.
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 7 2010, 06:55 AM) *
Good suggestion, but it's hard to copy/paste that from OpenOffice.Org to the Forums. I'll probably take the time to change the size of the headers, and make other parts Bold to make looking at it easier.

Edited:
Scratch that. The Quote tag only allows a limited number of uses in one post.
Daylen
for such verbosity better flow would be nice. reading that much in a forum post is like trying to eat a 6' roast beef poboy in one sitting without putting it down. Its ok for a bit, but after a while it gets painful and messy. Breaking it up into easily discernible courses and a menu for where the parts are makes the whole thing much more stomachable.
tifunkalicious
physical fluff is great and adds so much more to a players experience than you can see from the GM chair. So yes yes keep it up

I agree with Daylen though, a quick read sinks in better.
Combat Mage
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 7 2010, 07:20 AM) *

Yes wink.gif
tagz
I like it a lot. Would be helpful to newer players to help let them know what to use for what situation, but also helpful to new GMs to give them a good idea what opposition might have and why.

It also made me start thinking a lot more about cased and caseless ammo, something I have been ignoring in my game as I just don't know much about it and my group seems to be happy without having to pick up shell cases.

I don't know anything about openoffice so the tags may confuse it, but I think you should be able to just put [*i] (minus *) at the start of a comment and put [*/i] (minus *) at the end of one. This will allow you to copy and paste into a forum post and the tags will make it italic.
CanRay
New post here.

Now in "Bite-Sized" chunks!
EuroShadow
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 7 2010, 08:20 AM) *

Honest answer: yes, i like.
Thanee
Yep, very nice writeups! smile.gif

One thing, though... I would color the ^^-comments to better distinguish them from the rest of the text. It simply makes reading everything so much easier.

Bye
Thanee
Wasabi
<-- Enjoys your write-ups
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012