Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help to settle a little argument
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Yerameyahu
Sure, but etymology (especially in another language) has almost nothing to do with 'correct' pronunciation in English.

For 'salmon', either option is correct, too. smile.gif The 'L-less' version is much more popular, because the word had no L in Middle English. The L (the letter, not the sound) was reinserted when Latin-knowing scholars decided that they should 'correct' the spelling. This happened to a great many words, in fact, and has led to many words with 'silent letters' (debt, for example), and to some modern pronunciations that are historically 'incorrect' (because people are pronouncing silent letters reinserted from the 'original' Latin).
Mäx
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Aug 19 2010, 04:23 AM) *
And I learned sidhe was pronounced "she" from The Dresden Files audio books.

Those are whole lot fun to listen to, Masters is an awesome reader.
But it was pretty big suprise for me yesterday when i read the Dresden files tropes.com page and went "oh so thats how its written" many of the names especially where a "little" different from how i had envisioned them spaced on pronouncement wink.gif
WhiskeyMac
I was born in Oregon but moved to Arizona when I was young. Everyone down here would pronounce it Oreeegon or Oragone. Annoys the hell out of me. Also, Astoria being pronounced ASStoria or any pronunciation of Willamette.

How is Puyallup pronounced? PU yall up or Pee yall up? I've heard it both ways.
Acme
And that's why U of O puts out bumper stickers with Orygun on them. biggrin.gif

Anywho, Puyallup is generally pronounced with the u silent. I've heard a few variations, but it's generally "P' yall up" just quickly so the three syllables blend into eachother. Some people put a bit more emphasis on the Puh sound, trying to get the u in there, but from what I've heard you're supposed to have as little u as possible, making it a quick gutteral stop between the P and Y instead of an actual vowel.
crash2029
QUOTE (Darkeus @ Aug 18 2010, 07:32 PM) *
My God. I have been playing Shadowrun for damn near 18 years or so and I have been saying foci wrong for all of them...

Man I feel dumb! At least I have been saying Aztlan right! I have realized I really did not know how to pronounce some of this stuff AT ALL!

I enjoy pronouncing words in Nahuatl. My favorite ones are two Aztec gods named Xipe Totec and Chalchiuhtlicue. Though Huitzilopochtli is a close runner up.

My Dad also taught me how to pronounce Missouri, Louisana, New Orleans, and San Antonio. He moved around alot.
Yerameyahu
I like Tezcatlipoca!
Inpu
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 19 2010, 02:52 PM) *
I like Tezcatlipoca!

As do I. Blood thirsty little so and so.
Voran
QUOTE (Daylen @ Aug 18 2010, 08:55 PM) *
I'd rather Titstogo...

Titsogtfogo?
killfr3nzy
QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 20 2010, 09:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Daylen @ Aug 18 2010, 08:55 PM)

I'd rather Titstogo...

Titsogtfogo?

Tits-to-go?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Ya know, seriously, just nuke the place already! Stupid goddamn phonics!
Daylen
QUOTE (killfr3nzy @ Aug 20 2010, 01:40 PM) *
Tits-to-go?

I thought obviously so...
tete
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ Aug 23 2010, 08:20 PM) *
Ya know, seriously, just nuke the place already! Stupid goddamn phonics!

Its the only way to be safe spin.gif
Daylen
QUOTE (tete @ Aug 24 2010, 12:30 AM) *
Its the only way to be safe spin.gif

only if you do it from orbit to be sure...
Tyro
I'm from the Seattle area, and I've always pronounced it pyou-all-up (all like Al from Home Improvement), as do my wife and family and just about everyone else I know.
crash2029
I still remember the first time I had to spell Coeur d' Alene.
Yerameyahu
Whoa, I'm just *this minute* reading a paper about Coeur d'Alene Salish phonetics. biggrin.gif Trippy coincidence.
Or maybe just the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. :/
Angelone
Wow, just noticed how little I pay attention to how things are spelled and how my group doesn't seem to want to correct me.

Tear TEH Rain
Pully up
Snowish

Tell me I'm getting Red mond and ever it right at least.
tete
Red mond is correct

Pully up is pronounce pew al up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NIo-4PPlGg
Snowish is pronounced Snow home ish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHubMiDLpEU

youtube is your friend
Tyro
RED-mund
EVER-it
snow-HOME-ish
snow-KWAHL-uh-mee
ISS-uh-kwah
pyou-AL-up (like Al from Home Improvement)
BELL-view
KIRK-lund
AWE-burn

Anything else?
X-Kalibur
Herb =P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012