Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghouls, damnit!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ascalaphus
You're welcome smile.gif
The Dragon Girl
man I wish I'd been as articulate about it, I just went about suggesting non lethal traps ..

ghouls-as-people is one of my favorite things to play with, honestly. (If that weren't incredibly obvious from the story writing). They -aren't pretty, they have a high chance of going insane- not just from the infection, but from the after effects and the way they've changed, theres no real way to make them less dangerous- and they're still people trapped in all that. Is it doing them a favor to let them live? Would it be kinder to put a bullet in them? Fun stuff to explore, especially if you really can get that moment of empathy.
Mäx
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Aug 19 2010, 06:49 PM) *
That's actually perfect, Ascalaphus, thanks,
I really like the idea of a layered defense.
Hell, the surface layer traps could just be obvious low-tech alarms.

I still think that a simple signs at the outer most layer saying "your about to enter a ghoul terratory" should be enought to keep everyone but dedicated ghoul hunters away.
After that you can but in deadlier and deadlier traps, just incase those ghoul hunter show up.
Simon Kerimov
Adding in deadlier traps gives the invaders time to learn the ghoul's tactics. It's basically a training program. The ghoul's best option is to warn trespassers off with signs, and the next layer of defense is meant to wipe the intruders. Not fantastic for a gaming session, but more realistic. Needless to say, it's a game, so this is an unlikely method to use.
Mäx
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 19 2010, 07:23 PM) *
Adding in deadlier traps gives the invaders time to learn the ghoul's tactics. It's basically a training program.

If the first thinks are somethink relativly simple/basic and then the deadly stuff is 30 claymore mines exploding, how exactly did those basic traps repare the invaders to survive the mines.
Only a total idiot uses same desing for all traps.
Ascalaphus
I still think that a simple signs at the outer most layer saying "your about to enter a ghoul terratory" should be enought to keep everyone but dedicated ghoul hunters away.

Abandon all soy ye who enter here

QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 19 2010, 07:19 PM) *
After that you can but in deadlier and deadlier traps, just incase those ghoul hunter show up.

Two layers: one to show you can make traps as advertised, the second to kill anyone who will not be scared off. If a few people come back from layer 1 to report that the area really is unsafe, that'll keep out the teenagers. To that effect, the traps should be really unpleasant but not deadly, like being gross, itchy, humiliating, and sudden.
Mayhem_2006
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 19 2010, 06:23 PM) *
Adding in deadlier traps gives the invaders time to learn the ghoul's tactics. It's basically a training program.

Thats fine - just like in D&D you can train your players to set of your traps with a 10 foot pole, then have an extra deadly trap whose trigger is 10 feet further down the corridor than the trap itself...
Saint Sithney
I thought these ghouls were just released?

I wouldn't expect them to have resources beyond "wire and can" noise traps, bits of sharp metal and whatever they could pull off the dead (and dead hunter/gangers.) Well that and the ferals.
Neraph
On the signs idea: don't forget RFID tags are good and cheap for spreading signs, and there's that one astral paint thing that could also be used to mark territories.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 20 2010, 12:07 AM) *
On the signs idea: don't forget RFID tags are good and cheap for spreading signs, and there's that one astral paint thing that could also be used to mark territories.

I think they would use blood to mark their territories. It's astrally visible until it dries, and it builds up a background count to keep ghoul hunters from being able to whip out all their magics. A canny ghoul hunter would be able to infer something from a patch of drying blood scribed into a "We Don't Want Any" sign.
Neraph
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 20 2010, 12:41 AM) *
I think they would use blood to mark their territories. It's astrally visible until it dries, and it builds up a background count to keep ghoul hunters from being able to whip out all their magics. A canny ghoul hunter would be able to infer something from a patch of drying blood scribed into a "We Don't Want Any" sign.

Yes, but an experienced ghoul hunter is either mundane or has Filtering (Filtering only costs 29 karma, really cheap these days), plus the RFID tags/astral pigments are much cheaper and get the same message across without wasting food. The point is especially broadcasting that this area is to be avoided, not that an area has ghouls. That may inadvertantly attract certain intentions.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 19 2010, 11:59 PM) *
Yes, but an experienced ghoul hunter is either mundane or has Filtering (Filtering only costs 29 karma, really cheap these days), plus the RFID tags/astral pigments are much cheaper and get the same message across without wasting food. The point is especially broadcasting that this area is to be avoided, not that an area has ghouls. That may inadvertantly attract certain intentions.

I would agree. I think ghouls have one of two basic choices when it comes to security. They can either do the leper colony thing and warn people away from a distance, and try to keep their presence as soft as possible, or they can go for fear. People don't fear ghouls, they fear becoming ghouls, so using that against them is a legitimate defense. The leper ghouls probably hate that others use the violent tactics, as it makes their lives harder, but both will be used.
Saint Sithney
On Mayhem's points about how shitty it is living in shit, it might be worth pointing out that Ghouls, unlike some HMHVV types, aren't immune to toxins or diseases.

It.. really feels like they should be.. and it would give them a distinct advantage..
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 20 2010, 12:46 AM) *
On Mayhem's points about how shitty it is living in shit, it might be worth pointing out that Ghouls, unlike some HMHVV types, aren't immune to toxins or diseases.

It.. really feels like they should be.. and it would give them a distinct advantage..

More AIDS metaphor.
Mayhem_2006
Interesting point about toxin immunity (or lack of it) - given that runners can have handy anti-toxin implants, bear in mind that even if they are immune to carbon monoxide poisoning, a build up of carbon monoxide will just suffocate them instead - it may not be poisonous to them, but it still isn't oxygen. And since the body doesn't recognise lack of oxygen in its tissues, they be suffocating without knowing it.

That said - I don't know if a biomonitor or any implants moniter the amount of oxygen in your bloodstream, but concievably they could be made to do so - which would at least give you some warning in low oxygen areas.

But basically - you shouldn't mess around in sewers (or any underground space not specifically designated as habitable) unless you know what you are doing, and most people - including runners - don't.

Luckily for Runners, most GMs don't either wink.gif - hopefully I've done a little to correct that biggrin.gif
killfr3nzy
To the OP; We need more details, and you need to answer some questions. You'll need them for roleplaying anyway. Such as:
- What is the ratio of Feral-to-Non? (numbers in general would be helpful, too)
- How were they treated under gang control, especially the Sane? (Ferals trained to attack any non-Ghoul entering their enclosure, Non hate/fear all metahumans, etc)
- How long have they been free, and what have they been doing in that time? (kidnapping people off the streets, moving out of the squalor/crimescene of gang headquarters, lying low, keeping Ferals under control, building/traping headquarters)
- How many knew of the Ghouls involvement with the gang, and to what degree? (kept ghouls in cage, worked with them, 'bad things' happened to those who crossed them)
- How and why are the runners alerted to this new issue (Ghouls systematicly kidnapping people, a few escaped Ferals go on a murder spiral, people hear of locals working peacfully with a Den)
- Who are the leaders? (number, attitudes, agendas, factions, dissidents, intelligence)
- What did the Sane do before they were Ghoul'd/stolen by gang (tactics/sewers/electrical knowledge for traps/security, held a job as a hacker/mage/etc and can still work in most places with some care)

Then we can suggest things in more detail.

QUOTE (The Dragon Girl @ Aug 20 2010, 01:15 AM) *
[ Spoiler ]

This is true. However, it's hard to get right, and it's rarely found. Unless the PC's have had a fair bit of contact with Ghouls (relatively peaceful, sane Ghouls at that) all they'll have to go on is public awareness/opinion. The players are the same - there are only two sets of stats in the rulebooks: one for enemies, mainly ferals and one for a contact...who's a cold-blooded organ-trader.
Even in-character, the most accepting (non-infection-able) character has to be basically racist, unless they're stupid. Not because s/he doesn't like Ghouls, but because discrimination is: "(unfair) treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice". And how are/where minorities treated? Not standing near them, as if they might smell (they probably do), avoiding all touch with them/their things/things they've touched (hello, most infectious disease ever?), treating/acting as if they're all mindless, soulless animals/dangerous criminals (again, true), etc.
The basic fact is that 8o% of Ghouls are vaguely-humanoid monstrous predators who can rip Spirits apart with their bare hands, while the remainder are brain-damaged, over-steroid'd people with violent urges and the need to feast on metahumans to live, suffering under multiple neurosi and in terrible conditions. Add to that the fact that only those in the shadows would know them as anything other than criminals, organleggers and terrorists, and most people have excellant cause for concern.
Hell, now I want to open a thread on reasons for ghoul prejudice, and watch the inferno.

QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 20 2010, 01:41 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Uhm... Not sure of the rules, but I thought it was only when there's some seriously fucked-up shit going down that Background Count rocks up to stare and go "Woah man, what's your issue? Hey everybody, take a look at this!" like some kind of nosy pedestrian broadcasting a crashscene to youtube.
So if they've built up a background count through that marking, then it'd be from something like repeatedly eating people alive - and if they're the type to do that, then I'd gun them all down with a smile, null sheen.

QUOTE (Mayhem_2006 @ Aug 20 2010, 05:06 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

I'd say people tend to notice that they're running shorter on breath than they should be - take some kind of Perception test, modified by what level of exertion they are at. Hell, add your Athletics dice or allow it to be swapped for Perception - you know that oblivious slab of Goblin muscle, who spends all his time eating, whoring and fighting? Well, he'd know he doesn't usually have this much difficulty catching his breath when doing X.
Make it a very hard test, with bonus' the longer they stay in the area/more they need the oxygen.

That said, Biomonitors should notice it IMO, although from memory their effect is vague. Does it pick up poisons in the blood, etc? A lot of these problmes would be lessened or ignored through use of gear most runners should have. Gas-mask w/ built-in Respirator, Skinlinked Sensor Tag w/ Biomonitor (hey, it's a type of sensor - or should be), etc.
Might be, someone should start a thread about that...
Mayhem_2006
QUOTE (killfr3nzy @ Aug 20 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I'd say people tend to notice that they're running shorter on breath than they should be

Nope, thats the point, and why it is so deadly. Unconciousness after 2-3 breaths for high concentrations of CO, which is really not enough time to register symptoms. Feelings of breathlessness are usually caused by CO2 builds up in your tissue - the human standard "biomonitor" that you are born with - the Carotid body - does not detect a fall in oxygen levels very well, so a fall in O2 without a corresponding build of of CO2 may not cause breathlessness.

Biomonitors can apparently analyse blood samples, which implies to me that they are not actually plugged into your blood as a matter of course, and so wouldn't detect a low oxygen level in your body without you actually giving the machine a sample of blood.

Fortunately , an olfactory scanner or booster, in its "analyse the air" mode, should be able to pick up low O2 levels, or dangerous levels of C02 or Hydrogen Sulphide

Here's a handy chart for the effects of CO based on the concentration:

Concentration Symptoms
35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure
100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment
400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours
800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2-3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.

Of course, no reason to inflict the top rating on the PCs. If they are exploring a sewer system, 0.08% concentration should be enough to start with.... Then, yes, you can start giving them some symptoms in the hope that they are smart enough to start using breathing apparatus or to bug out.

Ascalaphus
The nanoware biomonitor certainly would pick it up even if a normal biomonitor wouldn't. But in the case of high doses of CO, even immediate warning that you're in it could be too late. 2-3 breaths is pretty deadly.
killfr3nzy
Hmm, didn't know that. But you're traveling through the area, and even with lighter-than-air gases, you would hardly ever pop straight into the "death in three breaths" area. And if you did, you'd probably pass out first, likely taking you out of the area.
And if it wasn't that quick, you start feeling ill, dizzy, etc, which are things you notice. And any good (longish-lived) runner will then back away and use every sensor they carry, furiously. Probably while cunjoring thoughts of blood magic.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mayhem_2006 @ Aug 20 2010, 02:53 PM) *
Nope, thats the point, and why it is so deadly. Unconciousness after 2-3 breaths for high concentrations of CO, which is really not enough time to register symptoms. Feelings of breathlessness are usually caused by CO2 builds up in your tissue - the human standard "biomonitor" that you are born with - the Carotid body - does not detect a fall in oxygen levels very well, so a fall in O2 without a corresponding build of of CO2 may not cause breathlessness.
*snip*

Good table. I didn't recall how dangerous CO was until I saw that again. It's why abandoned mines are so dangerous - old mines from Nevada are so bad that people can hit the high end of the scale a handful of feet from the entrance of some of them.
Mayhem_2006
Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air. So it flows downhill. Sewers tend to under roads, which are full of CO creating vehicles.

So you need only climb down a ladder to suddenly find yourself in a pocket of it.

There has been a case of a technician working in an inspection chamber next to a gas station forecourt. The chamber was only 4 feet deep. He climbed in, bent over to start work, and passed out.
yesferatu
QUOTE (killfr3nzy @ Aug 20 2010, 07:01 AM) *
To the OP; We need more details, and you need to answer some questions. You'll need them for roleplaying anyway. Such as:
- What is the ratio of Feral-to-Non? (numbers in general would be helpful, too)
- How were they treated under gang control, especially the Sane? (Ferals trained to attack any non-Ghoul entering their enclosure, Non hate/fear all metahumans, etc)
- How long have they been free, and what have they been doing in that time? (kidnapping people off the streets, moving out of the squalor/crimescene of gang headquarters, lying low, keeping Ferals under control, building/traping headquarters)
- How many knew of the Ghouls involvement with the gang, and to what degree? (kept ghouls in cage, worked with them, 'bad things' happened to those who crossed them)
- How and why are the runners alerted to this new issue (Ghouls systematicly kidnapping people, a few escaped Ferals go on a murder spiral, people hear of locals working peacfully with a Den)
- Who are the leaders? (number, attitudes, agendas, factions, dissidents, intelligence)
- What did the Sane do before they were Ghoul'd/stolen by gang (tactics/sewers/electrical knowledge for traps/security, held a job as a hacker/mage/etc and can still work in most places with some care)

Then we can suggest things in more detail.

Well...

1. We're probably talking about 5-10 ghouls. Probably one central family plus a few unfortunate additions.
2. They were not treated well. They would have been kept in basement cages, fed pieces of murder victims, and only let out on leashes to "clean" crime scenes.
3. They have been free for less than a week. They are on the run, scared, and not well supplied. They would have gone underground because they had nowhere else to go. They have primarily been hiding. They have not had time to entrench themselves and their ultimate goal is to escape the city.
4. The whole gang knew about them. Local competing organizations probably heard rumors.
5. I haven't quite decided why the group knows about it, I'd be perfectly happy with a concerned citizen telling them that the ghouls are missing...and that's bad.
6. Leaders of the gang or the ghouls...? The ghouls probably have one patriarch/matriarch possibly a magic user. The leader has gotten the ghouls out of bondage and he is struggling to keep them hidden and fed. There may be some internal conflict between the hiding and the hungry.
7. There is nothing remarkable about their pre-ghoul lives. They were likely turned as punishment for some slight against the gangers.

Again, this is all up for suggestions, I just had the idea and was hoping for some backup.

Simon Kerimov
Mayhem_2006, if I was a mutant with six arms, I would give you six thumbs up. I only have two, so that's what you get. You've given me a good reason to use the Oxyrush nanites, as I think the best way to model the carbon monoxide poisoning is by using the Fatigue Damage rules. My characters are always prepared for it, but no one uses them, so I get sad.

@killfr3nzy: I found the suggested rules for Domain Ratings when I was trying to decide how much of a background count to give the Sangre y Acero pit. We gave the pit a Blood magic aspected domain of 2 from the bloody fighting and the first human sacrifice. I imagine it will go up if we have more contestants sacrificing losers to the Smoking Mirror.

[ Spoiler ]
Saint Sithney
Oxyrush nanites are some key gear. Only 1000¥ per 30 minutes of holding your breath. If you can't swing a Nano Hive due to Essence constraints, you can still hook it up to an auto-injector/biomonitor system. You start to snufficate, and it shoots you with 30 minutes of extra breath. Only lasts you for 2 weeks without the hive, but 1000¥ isn't too much to save your life.

If essence isn't your concern, then, bam, air tank. 600¥ is a pittance.
Neraph
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 20 2010, 07:33 PM) *
...snufficate...

Not only do you make a good point, you've invented an amazing word too.
Badmoodguy88
...snufficate...

lol! biggrin.gif

Mayhem_2006
So, if these ghouls are new to the sewers, and have no special knowledge of them, they too might fall prey to some of the hazards endemic in the sewers.

Maybe the players can go in all ready to hunt some ghouls, only to find (after some other "wanderign monster" type encounters to get the need to shoot stuff out of their systems*) the ghouls all lying about disorientated with the most alert one begging for help - they are in an area of about 400ppm-800ppm, the weaker ones are already insensible, all of the others are dizzy, nauseous and have really bad headaches.

"Please... help us... sick...don't want to hurt ... came here to get away.... all sick...please..."

Faced with ghouls that are offering no physical threat and are beggin for help, the players will be less triggerhappy and more likely to treat them as people.

Before they reach the ghouls they can encounter other signs of the ghouls getting into trouble. Perhaps at one fork there are signs that the ghouls went one way, cam back and went the other way - investigating the way the ghouls went first results in finding a dead ghoul with no marks on in an area of the sewer that has subsided and thus dipped - and the dip has trapped a lot of excrement that is rotting. On the approach to the body the runners smell rotten eggs, and start to feel nauseous, stinging eyes and breathing difficulties (give them a body+strength check to resist these effect, with a high threshold, anyone critically glitching collapses straight away). If they are foolish enough to keep approaching they *stop* smelling it as the high concentration of hyfrogen sulphide paralysises their sense of smell, and keep making those tests but now its to resist stun damage, no armour...

*I suggest one of the random encounters be in a methane pocket so that those who can fight without guns get a chance to shine

Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 20 2010, 08:30 PM) *
Not only do you make a good point, you've invented an amazing word too.

It's related to Shkluffocate
To be unable breathe in a universe other than one's own.
Coined by: Yivo or Farnsworth

grinbig.gif
Tiny Deev
My GM had us deal with a couple of ghouls, he did it pretty cool.
We entered an abandoned sewer, where it was completely dark. Too dark for low-light vision. And we had only one flashlight. So most of us were walking around with Thermo, or just kind of walking blind. We'd hear skittering, but see not rats, and we all had the idea that we were being followed. Eventually we would reach a spot, where there was one torchlight, and we would sit there, waiting. A man(ghoul) can walking up to us, hand shown. He was pale, and skinny, but obviously powerfull. He was being followed by about ten crawling ghouls, and when he entered the light he snapped his fingers, and all the ghouls came crawling from the roofs and walls. Circling us, they would stand crouch behind him. We didn't even think about shooting, there were just way too many.

So we gave them the corpse to devour. No body, no crime.
Fatum
QUOTE (Tiny Deev @ Aug 21 2010, 01:33 PM) *
So we gave them the corpse to devour. No body, no crime.

Should have asked your GM for these guys as a group contact. Runners tend to produce dead bodies, after all.
Tiny Deev
Yeah, we have them as contacts. Its just that, we really don't like dealing with them.
Neraph
One of my players had a ghoul contact for the same purpose. I ran it similarly - he didn't like going down there because it creeped him out.
Fatum
Well, the fiction in RC led me to believe ghouls can be nice to be around, too.
CanRay
One of the fictional companies I have is the Outlaw Taxi Corporation, "Ghoul Cab".

Every time the group phones, they get a different catch phrase. "Ghoul Cab, you are what we eat." for example.

It's used a fair bit, as they're the only company that will, affordably, drive into the deepest, darkest parts of the Barrens.
Mäx
QUOTE (Mayhem_2006 @ Aug 21 2010, 09:52 AM) *
So, if these ghouls are new to the sewers, and have no special knowledge of them, they too might fall prey to some of the hazards endemic in the sewers.

Maybe the players can go in all ready to hunt some ghouls, only to find (after some other "wanderign monster" type encounters to get the need to shoot stuff out of their systems*) the ghouls all lying about disorientated with the most alert one begging for help - they are in an area of about 400ppm-800ppm, the weaker ones are already insensible, all of the others are dizzy, nauseous and have really bad headaches.

"Please... help us... sick...don't want to hurt ... came here to get away.... all sick...please..."

Faced with ghouls that are offering no physical threat and are beggin for help, the players will be less triggerhappy and more likely to treat them as people.

What do you expect the player to do at that point, unless they are wearing full body protective suits they would have to be totally brain dead to go anywhere near the ghouls.
Stahlseele
"Remember Kids, Drones with Flamethrowers go in first. Then Spirits with Flamethrowers. Then Drones again. And Spirits again. And then you check to see if there's something left . . IF there is something left? Start from the beginning. Else, call it a day."
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 21 2010, 02:33 PM) *
"Remember Kids, Drones with Flamethrowers go in first. Then Spirits with Flamethrowers. Then Drones again. And Spirits again. And then you check to see if there's something left . . IF there is something left? Start from the beginning. Else, call it a day."

This message has been brought to you by Ares Macrotechnology and the Humanis Policlub.

"I am Ken Brackhaven, and I approve of this message."
kzt
There was a comment by Frank, way back when, that pointed out that ghoul dietary habits are not what people typically think of them.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...233#entry662233

"Ghouls are a bad example. Since they have to eat metahuman flesh but don't have to get it from a living and conscious source, a Ghoul actually can achieve limited impact. Ghouls can eat the corpses of people who die of natural causes or the refuse from clones. And while many religious groups consider that no better than the Hannibal crap that Wendigo have to pull, personally I don't have a problem with it."
Mayhem_2006
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 21 2010, 08:23 PM) *
What do you expect the player to do at that point, unless they are wearing full body protective suits they would have to be totally brain dead to go anywhere near the ghouls.

I expect them to freak out and not know what the hell to do - this is a state that I like to keep my players in as much as possible biggrin.gif
WyldKnight
Out of curiousity has anyone played infected PCs? I haven't seen many.
The Dragon Girl
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 21 2010, 04:33 PM) *

Yes
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 21 2010, 10:15 AM) *
One of the fictional companies I have is the Outlaw Taxi Corporation, "Ghoul Cab".

Every time the group phones, they get a different catch phrase. "Ghoul Cab, you are what we eat." for example.

It's used a fair bit, as they're the only company that will, affordably, drive into the deepest, darkest parts of the Barrens.

"Ghoul Cab, we'll go wherever you tell us, since we can't see where we're going anyway."
"Ghoul Cab, quickest way to your final destination."
"Ghoul Cab, just dump him in the trunk."
"Ghoul Cab, we're finger-licking good at this."
"Ghoul Cab, your tips pay for the disinfectant."
"Ghoul Cab, we promise not to stop for roadkill... with the meter running."
"Ghoul Cab, your collateral is our commission."
"Ghoul Cab, look at 'em run! Look at 'em run!! LOOK AT 'EM RUN!!! AAHAHAHAHAHA!"
"Ghoul Cab, sorry about last time."
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 21 2010, 03:33 PM) *

Does Gork from Sangre y Acero count? He was fun.
Neraph
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Aug 21 2010, 03:33 PM) *

I do. I loved my Nosferatu Magician. Based him on the Lich King, ended with him actually becoming a godling.
killfr3nzy
I probably would, if allowed. They seem badass. Out of curiosity, how many of you have seen Invader Zim?

"Ghoul Cab, how can we - oh God, look at the size of that one!" *runs off-screen, faintly hear 'Hey, what - ahhhh, ahhh, argh!'*
"I'm sorry, the driver you have attempted to call is unavailable, reason: On Lunch-break. Please hold."
*Elevator music plays for thirty seconds*
"Did you know, company policy prohibits the consumption of flat-lined clients until they have been confirmed dead for an hour? Ghoul Cab says 'Saftey First!' Please hold."
*Elevator music plays for thirty seconds*
Daylen
QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 21 2010, 09:04 PM) *
There was a comment by Frank, way back when, that pointed out that ghoul dietary habits are not what people typically think of them.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...233#entry662233

"Ghouls are a bad example. Since they have to eat metahuman flesh but don't have to get it from a living and conscious source, a Ghoul actually can achieve limited impact. Ghouls can eat the corpses of people who die of natural causes or the refuse from clones. And while many religious groups consider that no better than the Hannibal crap that Wendigo have to pull, personally I don't have a problem with it."

Hence why I'd expect to see them working in the basements of morgues, digging graves for the funeral homes and operating illicit body disposal services for runners and other criminal elements. I could see them being accepted in some cultures as vultures instead of predators.
The Dragon Girl
They are quite good for that- books mention gangs of them making deals with some o fthe less ah..straight and narrow hospitol morgues, and being attached to this or that cemetary.

If nothing else is fun to turn them loose on Shedim.
Simon Kerimov
Don't forget Asamando, that African nation with 99% of it's metahuman population Infected, and about 30% of the population are Magicians. Estimated at 500,000 citizens, it has to devour 300,000 people per year (0.05*Population*12). How much of that needs to be imported?

To model their domestic "produce" of corpses, I'll use modern day Swaziland's crude death rate. Swaziland has the world's highest HIV infection rate at 26.1%, and HMHVV is basically magical AIDS, so I feel their death rate will make a decent lower bound for Asamado. Swaziland has a death rate of 30.83 per 1000 per year, compared to 6-7% in the US and Europe. Their annual production of dead people will be 15,000 bodies, some 285,000 bodies short.

The moral of the story? Shadowrun writers don't bother with math.
The Dragon Girl
Now I'm thinking about that nation's main industry being bio disposal for various hospitols round the world and ah.. battle field clean up, quick, efficient, keeps the shedim away.
CanRay
A ghoul a day keeps the shedim away!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012