Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for group
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
gargaMONK
Still finishing up character creation, but Voodoo tradition. Probably full magician (might wind up mystic adept, but doubtful).

I'll be going to DragonCON in two weeks, so if you're in the area, even better.

Thanks in advance
--gargaM0NK
Wasabi
PM sent
SaintHax
Best group in SRM03 smile.gif

Le Pacte des Magicae Artes

Currently 7 of us. If anyone thinks they are part of this group, but their name isn't on the list-- then you never emailed me after you made your Arcana roll and joined.
gargaMONK
Thanks guys!

@sainthax is there an "official" way to make the arcana roll?
Wasabi
You need a Arcana+Logic dicepool of 4 to get 1 hit, a dicepool of 8 to get 2 hits, etc.
The size of the group determines the number of hits needed. You need 1 hit +1 more hit per 5 people in the group. There is no limit.
Edge cannot be used between games even to add their dice as non-openended dice per Bull on these forums.

If its performed DURING a run you can have the GM sign the cert afterwards with your arcana result if you want to use Edge on it.
The duration of the bonding ritual is up to the GM since its not listed.
SaintHax
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Aug 24 2010, 07:03 PM) *
You need a Arcana+Logic dicepool of 4 to get 1 hit, a dicepool of 8 to get 2 hits, etc.
The size of the group determines the number of hits needed. You need 1 hit +1 more hit per 5 people in the group. There is no limit.
Edge cannot be used between games even to add their dice as non-openended dice per Bull on these forums.

Actually, that's incorrect. The test is not an extended test, where SRM forces you to use the 4:1 rule. Also, you put up the 5 karma before rolling, and per RAW, you can't opt to use the 4:1 if there's a negative result if you fail-- as in you can't just attempt it again w/o repercussions. I haven't seen the out law of Edge on extended tests-- not that it applies to this now, but I'd like to see that hose... post.

You need to make this roll during a game and have a GM witness it and sign off for it. Edge can be used for this, but you can't default, so you must have at least 1 in Arcana.

EDIT: found that post
gargaMONK
Am I correct in assuming that the time spent preparing for the ritual could be handled in a downtime, and then the ritual itself (and thus the roll) could be handled during a game?
SaintHax
QUOTE (gargaMONK @ Aug 25 2010, 05:06 PM) *
Am I correct in assuming that the time spent preparing for the ritual could be handled in a downtime, and then the ritual itself (and thus the roll) could be handled during a game?

GM get's final word on it, but I'd say yes. Else at the end of the adventure, you just say, "You spent X amount of time... now roll". So, there's no real difference.
Wasabi
Many if not most GM's are pretty accommodating. If you want a roll witnessed they'll usually witness it for you. There's a rule that says specifically that between runs you may not roll but many interpret the tail end of a run as part of the run even if you were just paid. Ask the GM's they've usually been pretty cool with it.
SaintHax
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Aug 25 2010, 07:59 PM) *
Many if not most GM's are pretty accommodating. If you want a roll witnessed they'll usually witness it for you. There's a rule that says specifically that between runs you may not roll but many interpret the tail end of a run as part of the run even if you were just paid. Ask the GM's they've usually been pretty cool with it.

The rule is actually that all extended tests have to be 4:1. Even if the GM wants to witness it, Extended tests have to be 4:1.

EDIT: I stand corrected (cite: below). Seems I remembered it incorrectly.
Fringe
Technically, from the SRM FAQ:

All skill tests made during downtime are done by buying hits and using the standard rules for limited Extended Tests (cumulative -1 per test, p. 64, SR4A).

So it's not just extended tests, but all skill tests during "downtime".

Of course, since most non-extended tests are pretty quick, most GMs will allow them to take place during a run, which is not downtime.

It might make sense that the Arcana test might take hours or days, since you're essentially linking your astral signature to that of the group, but I don't see a rule stating how long it actually takes...only that you can only make one test per month.

So it seems pretty open to GM interpretation as to whether or not this has to be a downtime test or if they can witness it. On the other hand, I suspect the downtime rule was placed to mitigate the need to witness dice rolls. Maybe the spirit of the rule is that anything the character does long-term (like this Arcana test) should be a non-witness 4:1 test...but that's speculative, of course. smile.gif
SaintHax
This runs into a RAW vs. SRM conflict-- as RAW clearly states you can't use the 4:1 buy if you have something to lose-- such as karma. I see I was mistaken, and revisited the FAQ.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012