Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing of the Guard KE/LS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ThirtyWiredMonkeys
I'm planning on running a campaign revolving around the ousting of Lone Star and the hand over to Knight Errant.

I am currently reading through Ghost Cartels and Seattle 2072 looking for some info on this however I can't find much to work with.

Does anyone know of any other sources I should look at?
suoq
For some details, I'd look outside of Shadowrun into current events. Ignoring political views as best as possible, a trend I would exploit would be the one from this article: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/...?RS_show_page=1
"Employees describe being in Interior – not just MMS, but the other agencies – as the third Bush term," says Jeff Ruch, executive director of Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, which represents federal whistle-blowers. "They're working for the same managers who are implementing the same policies. Why would you expect a different result?"

Similar situations occur wherever regimes are overthown (though I'm having a harder time finding articles). The trend is that the government is overthrown, new uniforms are issued, but the same guards who were pulling people off of the streets and out of their homes under the old regime are the guards under the new regime. As Lone Star loses contracts the workers get fired, apply to Knight Errant, and go back to the same job they had.

You can run with this in various ways. A good Lone Star contact may become a good Knight Errant contact. That group of guards that you worked over when they worked for Lone Star now work for Knight Errant. Post changeover, it's possible that a force is running either the new KE procedures, the old LS procedures, or some odd mixture of the two.
Mäx
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 24 2010, 02:47 PM) *
Similar situations occur wherever regimes are overthown (though I'm having a harder time finding articles). The trend is that the government is overthrown, new uniforms are issued, but the same guards who were pulling people off of the streets and out of their homes under the old regime are the guards under the new regime. As Lone Star loses contracts the workers get fired, apply to Knight Errant, and go back to the same job they had.

KE actually severly discriminates against former LS employees, so most who actually went trought the hassle of applying to KE are most likely in much lower positions then before.
So that former LS detective you had as a contact might be a beat cop now, if he even bothered to sign up with KS.
CanRay
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 24 2010, 08:00 AM) *
So that former LS detective you had as a contact might be a beat cop now, if he even bothered to sign up with KS.

Probably working as a security guard for a lesser company, one of the Lone Star security companies ("Great, I'm a guard at a parkade now."), a Private Investigator, or one of the many, many unemployed citizens of Seattle and very unhappy about it.

Hell, Shadowrunning looks like a good job opportunity now, doesn't it?
Voran
Yeah fluff seems to indicate that while LS cops can apply and sometimes get KE jobs, they're often forced to act as recruits again, even with previous street experience, they've basically lost their seniority and have to put up with KE 'peers' that look down on them for being ex-LS. Consequently its a beautiful time to be a runner. LS former workers that now either get shafted at KE or out completely, with huge axes to grind. So many things to fall into the cracks, I could see whole warehouses of gear, vehicles, info, whatever going on the market, especially if it would hurt KE (by arming the miscreants, etc).

An interesting thing to also consider is that in some ways KE will have to start all over, they have minimal operational info of the Seattle scene, won't know the lay of the land (criminals, underworld, etc), I can't imagine they'd have much in the way of valuable street contacts without serious legwork. So there's big gaps in KE's knowledge and ability to respond to stuff.

I imagine the underworld is tripping all over itself to replace any lost LS contacts/dirty cops/etc.
Grinder
QUOTE (ThirtyWiredMonkeys @ Aug 24 2010, 02:26 PM) *
I'm planning on running a campaign revolving around the ousting of Lone Star and the hand over to Knight Errant.

I am currently reading through Ghost Cartels and Seattle 2072 looking for some info on this however I can't find much to work with.

Does anyone know of any other sources I should look at?

Guess you won't find any other material, since the whole change-over is a result of Ghost Cartels and Seattle 2072 is the only sourcebook that has information of the new status quo.
ThirtyWiredMonkeys
Thanks for the replies all.
Looks like it's time to crank up the old imagination.
suoq
I'm confused. I'm assuming this is Canon (somewhere) but I'm not understanding.

"if he even bothered to sign up with KS". What are the alternatives? My impression was that being unemployed is the worst possible thing that could happen to someone in a corporate owned world. If we're using concepts like corporate stores and corporate housing, making sure one doesn't end up unemployed in a corporate turf war seems like an incredibly high priority. If one becomes unemployed, do they become homeless? Do their kids get kicked out of school? Do they lose all medical care? How bad is unemployment and how desperate does that make Lone Star employees?

I'm also not sure where KE is getting the new manpower from. Are they recruiting inexperienced unemployed? If so, that means new guards who aren't completely familiar with security procedures or their new locations/coworkers yet. That may make things easier for infiltration/con groups. On the other hand it may make recon less accurate. ("Give me a knowledge roll on security procedures. Yep. You see what they're doing and you're pretty sure it's wrong.")

Edit: Ok. What I'm thinking is what Voran seems to be saying. Cool. More chaotic than I would have expected. I need to embrace stress and waste as a way of life in Shadowrun more.
CanRay
The alternatives are working for Lone Star in a security manner, working for another security company ("Yay, I'm a mall guard. I want that job Bob got at the parkade."), Private Investigator, or looking for a new occupation in a world where it's damned hard to find any job at all.

Lone Star Police Officers are, at least, probably not Lone Star Citizens (Lone Star is an Extraterritorial AA-Level Corporation), but are most likely UCAS-Citizens, and live in the UCAS. Keeps the legal issues of having a non-citizen being a police officer (Or "Peace officer", depending on who you ask) down. So the likelihood of Corporate-Owned Housing down. Also, Lone Star is a service corporation, and has limited manufacturing capabilities, so aren't as likely to force their employees to use the Company Store.

On the flip side, they own a bunch of parking lots and parkades (Hense my joking about it), shown *AS* Lone Star Property (And thus Extraterritorial) and would probably give their employees parking permits.

Oh, no longer working for Lone Star? That permit is now invalid. No, you can't come in. Sorry, your car is now our property. Thanks for working with us, he's a faux-gold watch.

Knight Errant is, apparently, getting their manpower from having had over-manned their positions for years trying to get the contract from Lone Star. This will help a bit, and fill up the upper-echelons. The rest would either be imports from out of the sprawl, "Re-Hires" from Lone Star, or new folks fresh out of Ares Criminal Colleges.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 24 2010, 09:24 AM) *
I'm confused. I'm assuming this is Canon (somewhere) but I'm not understanding.

"if he even bothered to sign up with KS". What are the alternatives? My impression was that being unemployed is the worst possible thing that could happen to someone in a corporate owned world. If we're using concepts like corporate stores and corporate housing, making sure one doesn't end up unemployed in a corporate turf war seems like an incredibly high priority. If one becomes unemployed, do they become homeless? Do their kids get kicked out of school? Do they lose all medical care? How bad is unemployment and how desperate does that make Lone Star employees?

I'm also not sure where KE is getting the new manpower from. Are they recruiting inexperienced unemployed? If so, that means new guards who aren't completely familiar with security procedures or their new locations/coworkers yet. That may make things easier for infiltration/con groups. On the other hand it may make recon less accurate. ("Give me a knowledge roll on security procedures. Yep. You see what they're doing and you're pretty sure it's wrong.")

Edit: Ok. What I'm thinking is what Voran seems to be saying. Cool. More chaotic than I would have expected. I need to embrace stress and waste as a way of life in Shadowrun more.

Cause Lone Star is a AA, it may not have all the bells and whistles KE/Ares has (a AAA). KE might just begin hiring from the Sinner and Sinless masses. Not that hard a sell.

Many lone star cops went underground (especially those in undercover assignments) and some became shadow runners. Ex-star employees also deleted files, sabatoged equipment and facilities before vacating the pemises.

Most of the good info on this is in the Seattle 2072 book.
Chance359
I'm gonna bet that a few lonestar are making their way into the shadows, supply officers became arms dealers using evidence warehouses for the supply, undercover teams (like Dark Blue) become runners, ect.
CanRay
And you better bet the old Lone Star hangouts (Like bars) are going to hate the "New Guys on the Block" and KE will have to find all new bars.

Oh, dear, there goes your contact that was a bartender at the local cop bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012