Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Sleeper has (Re-) Awakened
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Rindel
So, used to really enjoy playing Shadowrun 1st Edition when I was younger and even got most of the books for it.

Unfortunately with one thing or another I got out of playing it and ended up selling most of it off and getting into The World of Darkness. I've now however decided to take the plunge again and picked up the 4th Anniversary edition and nearly all of books.

Lots of changes have happened I see, most of which I like. I used to have an Elven Decker as my main character but have also played over the years a Mercenary (doesn't seem to be a generic one in the corebook), Former Tribal Warrior(can't see one of these either), Former Elven Hitman (not in the book now either, even as a contact). Miss my 'Burnt out Mage' Character most of all though, he got really powerful.

I do still really like the Artwork for the Archetypes from 1st edition and not so much those from 4th.

Have found my Character Sheets from 1st edition and have decided to try and update them but doesn't seem to be that easy. Here's my attempt at changing my Elven Decker to an Elven Technomancer(must admit, I like the addition of these, very interesting concept). -

Elf
Bod 2
Agi 3
Rea 3
Str 2
Cha 5
Int 3
Log 5
Will 4
Res 5

Technomancer
Aptitude (Software)
Codeslinger(Compile Spirit)
Paragon (Flow)
Analytical Mind

Allergy Silver Severe
Sensitive System
Addiction Alcohol Mild

Nuyen 20,000

Cracking SG 3
Compile 3
Register 3
Computer 3
Software (threading) 7
Perception (Visual) 1
Dodge (Ranged) 1
Pilot (Bike) 1
Pistols (Heavy) 1
Ettiquette (Street) 1
Negotiation (Barganing) 1

Complex Forms -

Smartlink
Stealth 4
Analyse 4
Armour 4
Exploit 4
Spoof 4

Contacts -

Fixer 3C 2L
Elven Hitman 3C 2L

Lifestyle: Low 2 months

Gear -

Ares Predator IV (ISS)
3 clips APDS
Concealable Holster
Lined Coat
Meta Link Vector Xim
Contact Lenses R2 (Flare Comp, Thermo)
Fake Sin R4
Driving Licence R4
Gun Licence R4
Suzuki Mirage
Mooncrow
Are you using BP or karmagen? If BP, that's a lot of points in specialization. Overall though, looks like a pretty solid starter build.
Rindel
Just used BP, is Karmagen an optional character creation?
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Rindel @ Aug 26 2010, 09:50 AM) *
Just used BP, is Karmagen an optional character creation?

Yes, it's in the Runner Companion. It basically removes the disconnect between the karma cost and the BP cost, so you don't have the whole "well, I would like to do X, but it's so much cheaper to do that with karma, whereas Y is so much cheaper to do with BP" thing. It's not a huge deal though, the two systems just have different tweaks for optimization^^
Johnny B. Good
You might just want to go easy on the specs, since they're a lot more expensive in BP than in karma. It's much more cost-efficient to pick them up after start of play.

Also be aware that constantly threading and taking fading may further bog down the already time-heavy matrix. That's partially why I gave up on my Technomancer.
Rindel
Yeah, I might make a Hacker yet. I like the Technomancer idea but they seem to cost alot more to build than a Hacker. I've read some of the posts that talk about which is better but still really can't make up my mind. I might look at making up some of the other old characters I've got instead first and come back to this one.
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Rindel @ Aug 26 2010, 11:20 AM) *
Yeah, I might make a Hacker yet. I like the Technomancer idea but they seem to cost alot more to build than a Hacker. I've read some of the posts that talk about which is better but still really can't make up my mind. I might look at making up some of the other old characters I've got instead first and come back to this one.

Matrix rules aren't my strength, but from what I've seen:

A Hacker will be stronger out of the box than a TM, while also being more flexible.

After a decent amount of karma, the TM is better than a hacker can get at certain tasks, such as Hacking on the Fly, and probably better overall at hacking, especially with some of the Unwired Echos. The hacker will still be more well-rounded though.

After a lot of karma, the TM will basically be God on the Matrix, and decent in a firefight with some sprite controlled-drones, or Resonance Trodes tricks, or what have you, while again, the Hacker stays more well-rounded.

Personally, I just like how the TM rolls; but then I'm a big magic guy, so it's easy to see why^^
Rindel
Yeah, I like the TM's alot but with the amount of games I'll get played (not many) I think I might go for a more well rounded Hacker starting character.
Rindel
I must admit, talking about shadowrun stuff has made me start to remember all the fun I used to have playing and GM'ing it.

I loved adding the Halfling characters from the '1/2 the Attitude' article in Challenge Mag. I think I'll see if I can't convert them to 4th as I didn't see them in any of the books.

There was nothing funnier than watching several Halfling characters trying to handle and shoot a Rocket Launcher.

Hmmm, what else? oh yeah! Metal Cybernetic robots with red glowing eyes where good for scaring characters with!

also -

(player) My Street Sam is unstoppable!
(me) Has he ever faced a Predator?
(player) Easy meat!
(me) Hmm, okay, how about a Predator Shaman
(player) huh?,eh? oh no!

also -

(player) What's this green egg like object and why has it got something moving in it, 'out of character' (oh!, no! you didn't!)
(me) Oh yes!, your not in space but you can scream if you want.

Ahhh, good times.
Acme
I believe there's something like halflings in Runner's Companion under the Metavariants... If not, you can use those as a base and shift over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012