Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EVO Worldwear Construction Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Simon Kerimov
EVO ARACHNAE::

This peculiar construction drone was designed to construct habitats in space. The Arachnae uses microwire and Universal Sealant to spin complicated structure lattices, which it later fills with a metal foam for maximal strength and longevity. The current model sports a Desktop Forge, supplying it with any tool it needs for the job. Future versions of Arachnae will feature an integrated EVO Nanofax.

[ Spoiler ]
Makki
like it, but i think your electronics and hydraulics all need a Extreme Environment (Space) modification. And why would you need an olfactory scanner in space?
i think i will steal the plans for that some day
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Makki @ Aug 28 2010, 05:50 AM) *
like it, but i think your electronics and hydraulics all need a Extreme Environment (Space) modification. And why would you need an olfactory scanner in space?
i think i will steal the plans for that some day

Good point on the Extreme Environment mod. I guess the Arachnae as written would be restricted to building the insides of a space station or planet side. If you swap out the Enhanced Winch for a normal winch, you can add in a Nanomaintenance System of Rating 2 in place of an Extreme Environment modification (I like nanites). The cost difference is an additional 5,300nĄ (5,000nĄ for Enhanced Winch becomes 700nĄ for Winch, and add 10,000nĄ for the nanites at Availability 10).

The olfactory glands are chemoreceptors, which can be used to sense the presence of volatile chemicals. You're right about it not helping in space much. You would be better off replacing it with a Nanoscanner (Availability 8R, 2,500nĄ per Rating up to 10), but it's a hand-held device and would take up 3 Sensor slots. Sound is bumkis in space, so you could make room for it by dropping the microphone, the olfactory sensor, and the ultrasonic camera. That saves 4,850nĄ, so maximum cost for the swap would be 20,150nĄ.

EVO Arachnae:: (space version)

[ Spoiler ]
Tanegar
How is this related to the Worldwear fashion line?
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 28 2010, 03:52 PM) *
How is this related to the Worldwear fashion line?

Mission creep. EVO Worldwear being a clothing design distribution got nanofaxes into the homes of the very rich. Adding in non-clothing items allows the customers who shelled out the 2,500,000nĄ for the more robust nanofax a way to show off. Since a large concentration of these customers will be living on the Shibanokuji freefall resort, this is also a convenient way for them to get drones and electronics that would otherwise have to be shipped up the gravity well.

Also, I couldn't find a better division of EVO to work with.
Tanegar
Why on Earth would somebody rich enough to shell out 2.5M nuyen for a home nanofax use it to build construction drones? I could see it for a corporate-owned nanofax, but then it would have been cheaper just to buy the drones themselves, plus corporations don't subscribe to Worldwear.
Traul
You forgot the SunCell. A drone in space will not do much without its own power supply.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 28 2010, 06:33 PM) *
You forgot the SunCell. A drone in space will not do much without its own power supply.

Crap. You are correct. Drop the gecko tips I guess, and add on the SunCell.

-Gecko Tips (+700nĄ)
+SunCell (1,500nĄ)

TOTAL COST: 50,800nĄ
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 28 2010, 06:14 PM) *
Why on Earth would somebody rich enough to shell out 2.5M nuyen for a home nanofax use it to build construction drones? I could see it for a corporate-owned nanofax, but then it would have been cheaper just to buy the drones themselves, plus corporations don't subscribe to Worldwear.

I'm thinking that the target audience for this sort of thing are the disaffected youth of corporate heavy hitters. If you could afford it, wouldn't you want a doberman sized spider robot that can slap out a full house in under five hours? In space?

2,500,000nĄ isn't really that much for what a nanofax gives.
Udoshi
Minor Nitpick: You can't remove the Special machinery(medkit) To get more slots for other equipment.

However, gecko tips are -incredibly- affordable to overmodify, and make sense for a drone designed in space.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Aug 28 2010, 07:11 PM) *
Minor Nitpick: You can't remove the Special machinery(medkit) To get more slots for other equipment.

However, gecko tips are -incredibly- affordable to overmodify, and make sense for a drone designed in space.

Removing a standard upgrade does not provide additional modification slots.

I see. That sucks.
Simon Kerimov
Chassis GM Mr. Fixit 2071
Standard Upgrades
Autosofts (Any Build/Repair, Rating 3)
Tool Kit
Mechanical Arms (Strength 4)

MODIFICATIONS
Walker Mode [2]
Winch [1]
Weapon Mount(normal, fixed) [1]

I can't manage to get the required modifications for space while keeping the right number of limbs and the spinneret.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 28 2010, 07:58 PM) *
If you could afford it, wouldn't you want a doberman sized spider robot that can slap out a full house in under five hours? In space?

Frankly, I'd be more interested in a Rei Ayanami lovebot. Maybe that's just me, though.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 28 2010, 08:12 PM) *
I can't manage to get the required modifications for space while keeping the right number of limbs and the spinneret.

When designing custom cool stuff like this, keep in mind that overmodding is a standard, rule (not an optional sidebar one). As written, anyone can do it, with clear rules for doing so - the Additional Penalty for doing so is just gm dependent.

When repurposing existing drone models to make a new standard corporate whatever, don't be afraid to indulge in it - after all, vehicles(and drones) come with standard upgrades. Its easy to use overmodding rules to reflect out of the box modifications.
Makki
exactly. don't be afraid. for example the Extreme Environment Mod would of course be a standard upgrade for a space catered vehicle. actually, you shouldn't design your drones based on existing ones. EVO doesn't take Orderly drones and then modify them. they build and design them from scratch to be a space operating construction drone. THEN, customers can buy one and modify at will. You may of course use the modification rules to calculate cost, but keep in mind the discount of "mass" production
Tanegar
QUOTE (Makki @ Aug 29 2010, 02:53 AM) *
You may of course use the modification rules to calculate cost, but keep in mind the discount of "mass" production

Except these drones aren't being mass-produced, they're coming out of a nanofax one at a time or in small batches.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Aug 28 2010, 07:12 PM) *
Chassis GM Mr. Fixit 2071
Standard Upgrades
Autosofts (Any Build/Repair, Rating 3)
Tool Kit
Mechanical Arms (Strength 4)

MODIFICATIONS
Walker Mode [2]
Winch [1]
Weapon Mount(normal, fixed) [1]

Drones created with Basic Equipment do not take up slots for Modifications... Just use some basic slots to fill out some of the basic functions, like your mobility and spinnerettes. Use Modifications fro things not includded in the basic package... Honestly, I would have used everything you indicated AS BAsic Equipment personally, and left Modification Slots alone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012