Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Team Pool
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mr. Mage
So I was reading through this topic and it got me thinking that a team edge/karma pool (whatever you want to call it) would be pretty nifty. So I was thinking of some possible ways to implement some team based house rules. I am going to try them out for my current game, but I figured I'd post them here as well for others to use or to get feedback on them. I have two idea, one for team shared Edge and another for team shared Karma.

Teamwork Pool
[ Spoiler ]

Team Karma
[ Spoiler ]

One thing I am particularly wanting feedback for is the cost of each thing. I'm curious whether people think they are too expensive/not expensive enough. Feel free to leave feedback on anything else of course, and hopefully I will post here again on how well it worked with my group.

Also, if you have any questions on how the Teamwork Pool should work, feel free to ask. I can think of new stuff pretty well in my head but writing it down is kind of....eeehhhh....
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Sep 2 2010, 05:07 PM) *
NOTE: Had to leave before finishing this, please don't reply until it is finished! I will try to finish it by tonight.

Ha ha! Like I'm going to listen to that.

I'm not sure about the point of the Teamwork Pool - especially if I have to use my hard-earned karma to fuel it. I'm better off getting a synergy/Tacnet bonus from my fellow mooks since that's a combination of like-minded skills and nuyen; much easier for me to come by!

That being said, I do have sort of 'group Edge' in the form of a 'Fate Pool' that I roll at times during a session. If my players want to spend an Edge to help the group out indirectly (as in someone has run out, they're failing on the action and the group really wants it so succeed, then they can have me roll the Fate dice. The longer the Hail Mary on the action they want Fate to change, the fewer dice I roll.

(They don't actually know they can Beseech Fate, because it hasn't come up...yet.)

If the dice end with successes, Fate intervenes on their behalf. More successes means a cooler effect.
(Dude, I swear a cat ate the laser and Shoop da Whooped the gangbanger with a Giga Beam.)
If the dice glitch but succeed or if there are no successes, Fate does not intervene.
(She ain't listenin'. She ain't listenin'!)
If the dice critically glitch, Fate intervenes on the behalf of their opposition.
(Holding still, you can't stop the drop of persperation falling off your nose...and onto the pressure floor.)

I keep the pool small - one die per player. If the players try to do something that doesn't readily link to a skill/attribute set, or something else suitably out of the box (what are the odds I can find <X>?) then they can roll their own Edge, and their own personal Fates tell me what happens.
Neurosis
Hard to tell cause you haven't finished, but I think I approve of this. I do something similar with my Players, which is basically that I award individual Karma during the game session as little beads or counters and if the players get in a tough spot (which they often do) and run out of edge they can lose the semi-earned karma instead. In a way it's kind of throw-backy to SR1.
Dwight
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=982684

Jake didn't talk about how his rule played but it already has 4 key advantages on yours:
1) an order of magnitude less text than yours...and you are still going
2) simple accounting, nothing new to track
3) decision happens in the moment when the teamwork is happening, and is supported by & rooted in the fiction
4) related to #1, way less edge cases (what happens when PC count goes down, PCs are swapped out, etc)

Note that I felt the old team pool sucked. For basically the same reasons. If you are looking to revive that mediocrity and bloat then you are on track!
Mr. Mage
Well... finished now... and like I said: not sure it will be used all the time, but I just thought about it a bit and decided to write my thoughts down. My friends are just play testers. (insert evil laugh here)
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Dwight @ Sep 2 2010, 02:32 PM) *
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=982684

Jake didn't talk about how his rule played but it already has 4 key advantages on yours:
1) an order of magnitude less text than yours...and you are still going
2) simple accounting, nothing new to track
3) decision happens in the moment when the teamwork is happening, and is supported by & rooted in the fiction
4) related to #1, way less edge cases (what happens when PC count goes down, PCs are swapped out, etc)

Keep in mind I thought the old team pool sucked.

Hmm...must have missed that one when I read it...
Dwight
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Sep 2 2010, 11:37 AM) *
Hmm...must have missed that one when I read it...

Different thread than the one you linked to. Plus it's unfortunately got some cruft in it you have to sift past.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Dwight @ Sep 2 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Different thread than the one you linked to. Plus it's unfortunately got some cruft in it you have to sift past.

Oh...I suppose it is a different thread....looked familiar tho...hehe...
of course....so does every other thread here...just words and avatar pictures smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012