Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halo Reach thoughts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Voran
Finished my first run through of the campaign on heroic difficulty last night. Overall fun experience, felt the story was good, some interesting stuff smile.gif On the other hand, I'm not really sure its the 9.5 superawesome gamesites seem to proclaim. Haven't jumped into multiplayer yet, so here are my thoughts on the single player aspect. No spoilers.

I suppose the premise for Halo Reach is the idea that 'you are not alone', in the sense that this is supposedly a squad support type tactical FPS. Yes you tend to operate with some sort of support, some by 'story characters' the other members of your Spartan "Noble Team", othertimes redshirts, I mean marines/militia types that join up with you.

Lets review:

Story characters attached benefit from nigh-invulnerability. Your Spartan buddies take grenades and take shots and melee smacks by those behemoth Hunters. On the flip side, they can also be extremely frustrating, providing you with inconsistent support as they decide to hide behind things and talk alot. You can't swap out their weapons, which is a shame. This becomes especially noticeable on several 'defend objective' missions where in general its a scavenger hunt for good gear anyway, but on one mission where you have to hold a location, it seems especially out of place that literally, behind the Spartan team is a wall of grenade launchers, rocket launchers and a frickin Spartan Laser, but nope, battle rifle guy sticks with his peashooter, and shotgun guy decides its good to hold onto even though that means he can't engage 80 percent of the incoming foes until they're in his face.

Also, while I understand the need for balance, so that squadmate NPCs don't killsteal and do everything for you, at least on Heroic difficulty it appears something of the opposite, you'll have to kill 90-95% of opposition, (unless the NPC is riding shotgun on the gatling gun or other semi-fixed emplacement), as your NPC Spartans are inconsistent help.

Redshirts. Through the course of the game, you can pick up temporary companions. Marines or militia-men in your mission areas. They have a benefit of infinite ammo, so hand them a weapon with only 1 shot left and they're good to go. On the other hand, they're fragile, and generally not very bright. There's no 'squad command' functions ala Republic Commando or Brothers in Arms, so the redshirts function on their own AI, which tends to go like this, "Ohh hey great we've got a Spartan with us! We're awesome! Chaaaaarge! <3 guys slaughtered by 1 grunt>" They have a tendency to run ahead to the next checkpoint, even before you manage to reach them to give them a new weapon.

As for redshirts and weapons, I'd have to say No to Sniper weapons, the redshirts AI simply don't have the means to benefit that greatly from the range advantage, so they'll be using it at way too close quarters. On the other hand, giving the redshirts sniper rifles to HOLD is a great idea, as they can potentially become a mobile sniper-rifle armory for you to use. If you take back a weapon you gave to an NPC, it has the same ammo count as when you gave it, even if they've been using it. Another thing I noticed, on levels you actually come across something decently awesome like a Rocket Launcher or Focus Rifle or concussion rifle, you can give them to redshirts, but I can think of only 2 times where they got to use it, other times you cross a story checkpoint and suddenly the redshirts portion of the follow-mission is done, and they'll stand guard or disappear and never actually engage again. Its like finding a BFG after you've finished the chapter's boss fight. Gee thanks.

Though in two instances I managed to give a rocket launcher to a redshirt and they 1)stayed with me for a decent long time 2)actually got to use the launcher to good effect. I've yet to actually see a redshirt get a chance to use a focus rifle (beam weapon) or concussion rifle after I gave it to them as surprise, the mission was soon finished.

Halo Reach also provides the player a chance to swap out armor abilities and buy armor costume pieces that doll up your Spartan Barbie and appears in the cutscenes, making your individual pink neon Spartan possible to see during the campaign movies.

The good (armor kits): Interesting abilities. Instead of one use power-ups like the previous games, you can fit in the ability to sprint, or cloak, or temporary invulnerability, or even jump-jet. Making a holographic decoy is also rather useful once you get the hang of it.

The not so good: Every mission default swaps you back with Sprint. I guess this is a game balance issue, as in some missions actually having stealth or jumppacks (even though they were abundant and required the mission before) would make things too easy. Still, it feels rail-roady. Don't get me wrong, Sprint is very useful, from closing for melee or making it easier to hijack that wraith tank. Just you'll often run into missions where midway through you realize, "Oh, obviously they won't give me stealth at all on this map, cause that'd actually let me approach this without guns a blazin. On that note, same thing for weapons. Every mission default swaps you to whatever the mission wants you to start with. In some cases it makes sense, other cases its like "Oh, pistol and battle rifle again huh?" Maybe battle rifle is useful on difficulties lower than Heroic, but it just doesn't cut it on harder difficulties.

The good and the not so good(armor customization): You can have your pink vomit Spartan show up in cutscenes and you can pay for costume upgrades, new helmets, chest, shoulders, arms, knee pads, whatever. Each has their own new little blurb description. Unfortunately, none provide any real stat changes. This is where I think they dropped the ball. Little things that could be modified, like if I wear the grenadier mod, maybe I could get another grenade to hold rather than the 2/2 limit. Or the ability to hold more ammo, or etc etc. Basically its just a barbie-doll application.

Badguy AI? Pretty brutal, almost to the point of cheating at times. If you don't keep your eye on the Elites, or the jumppack types, they WILL kick your ass.
Yerameyahu
It's impossible to grade any Halo on single player alone.

I never even noticed that my 'squadmates' were there; like all Halo games, you're the hero. Four-man campaign co-op is a fun option if you want people stealing the spotlight (and all the good weapons).

The missions are modular, so they could hardly let you choose your loadouts; gear is tailored to the mission, and it's part of the balance.

I found Sprint to be annoyingly short-duration, but oh well.

*Fortunately* the armor upgrades are cosmetic only! Halo isn't about the gear, and they promised all along that they wouldn't make that mistake. smile.gif

The really fun stuff is the multiplayer: go check it out before writing the book. biggrin.gif
Voran
Some more thoughts. I've seen this in Republic Commando, and a degree in the "detective vision" mode of the Arkham Asylum game, Halo Reach also provides a 'night' vision mode which actually functions rather well in the daytime as well, with the added benefit of adding a 'ghost' like outline to weapons as well as enemies, making them easier to see in pretty much all environments. Its a really useful vision mode that I find I have running almost 90 percent of the time. The drawback? Well much like in the two games I mentioned, it does also mean you're playing an augmented vision mode that kinda obscures the environment. So in a sense, you can potentially lose out on the awesomeness of a particular vista, unless you switch the augmented vision off.

Its a tough decision, as I mentioned, I find that augmented vision mode really useful, especially for finding weapons/grenades that have been dropped on the battlefield. Also useful for highlighting enemies hiding behind cover, as if they're not totally concealed, you'll see a glowy part of their shoulder or something, giving you a heads up that there's someone lying in wait.

As for my comment on armor customization, I meant it more as a 'how it might have helped single player' more rather than a multiplayer thing. Its bad enough on those games that make you have to be a certain rank to unlock a certain piece of gear, that usually does it better than the default gear newbies get. It might encourage different playthrough types if you could outfit yourself in different ways, as it is, the game tends to encourage more sniper/precision approaches.
Gamer6432
Overall, I like the game, though I'd say they put too many really cool ideas in it that each one didn't get enough polish to make most of them truly shine.

On the topic of Night Vision... one of the few things I wish had carried over from Halo: ODST was the VISR mode, with less of that horrid glare you got in the daytime. VISR with a Flare Compensation mod would have been perfect.

As for the campaign, I agree it would be nice if the SPARTAN allies helped more, or you could order them around (though it would make little sense, seeing as you're the new guy on the team). It seems oddly paradoxical that the team leader says "We're a team. That Lone Wolf stuff stays behind," in the fist cutscene, and then you have to do almost all the heavy lifting. However, it would seriously muck the game balance, so I can see why they did it.

To armor customization, yeah, it would have been really nice if there was some benefit in the campaign. Though, in multiplayer you do get to select your loadout, which determines what weapons you start with and your armor ability. Loadout availability does vary by game type.

On a semi-unrelated note, if anyone wants to try co-op my XBL gamertag is Gamer6432.
Yerameyahu
I see what you're saying now, Voran, about armor mods in *Campaign*. That would be kinda neat. On the other hand, that seems like a fair bit of extra development for a small payoff. I love Phantom Crash and other 'gear tweak' games as much as anyone, but I'm not sure that would be worth it just for Campaign, and I'm sure it would ruin Multiplayer (in the sense that it wouldn't be Halo). :/
Voran
It makes me sad that we're unlikely to see another Republic Commando type game. But a variation on the Brother's in Arms series would have been nice to, for squad command stuff. Like, Hey, Mr Minigun, how about you lay down suppressing fire from right here instead of running...i mean jogging...around and getting shot at? Or things like, how about you guys NOT mess up my attempt to flank these guys by all running after me (through the middle of the field, no less).

On one mission, the spartan NPC 'ally' I was paired with was so intent on reaching the checkpoint, he did, leaving me to fend off the 2 elites he just ran past with his invulnerability, and SAT on his mongoose while I finished them off.

All in all, I've enjoyed the single campaign, spicing it up now with some skull mods (i prefer cowbell and birthday party by default, headshotting to hooray sounds and confetti just never gets old.) I'll probably jump into multi later on this week. But I've sorta gotten spoiled with Battlefield 2-type multiplayer, it might be a readjustment.

Anyhoo, yeah, there was a slight disconnect. Early admonishment for the lone wolf thing, as noted, but ultimately I did more legwork than Master Chief, nearly by my lonesome.
Yerameyahu
The Birthday Party effect *never* gets old. biggrin.gif Hurray!
Gamer6432
Pointless observation, you can get that effect for your armor for multiplayer. Also... Legendary is fucking HARD!
KarmaInferno
In the single player campaign...

[ Spoiler ]

@KarmaInferno

[ Spoiler ]
KarmaInferno
[ Spoiler ]

Ha! Oh jeez. smile.gif

So, does anyone find the vehicles worse in Reach? :/ They were already pretty 'slippery' to drive previously, but they're almost literally like ice now. frown.gif
Gamer6432
Yes, I did notice that. Halo 2 -> Halo 3 had the same problem.
Hocus Pocus
I really don't like FPS. But the commercial for the game was pretty cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012