Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Favorite Final Fantasy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Hocus Pocus
so I was sitting and thinking by myself one night. Thinking about the good ole days before I was married. I thought, hey those FF games I played were awesome. So I took them out and gandered at them, could not find the controler to play the game cause the wife gave it and one of our 2 systems to her friend's husband (thank you very much wife *ugh*). Their dog chewed the other two controls and I had only one and she gave it to them! sheesh wives....I digress.

even though I haven't played a few cause they are in japan only, my favorite is ff6. The one with kefka as the ultimate bad guy. It had everything and more. It dealt with such issues as teenage pregnacy, suicide, and character death. Yeah I know some of you would say "what about tellah in ff4?" or "what about aeris in ff7?" those were very poingant moments, especially tellah, I can relate to that one cause I have a daughter myself now; but cyan lost his family too and that touched the heart as well. Still ff6 is a cut above the rest, kefka's one lines and manical glee are too much and the music...oh the music.....celes' song at the opera...I just wanted to hug her and tell her it's ok to love...I'm here for you. shadow and his dog, the next dog I'm getting will be a doberman pincher named interceptor. Realm and her sweet song, just like my daughter! these are just a handful of the many qualities of the game. Ultros, general leo, that prostitue with the classic line "grief can only get you down, friends, family, gott let'em all go"

now that I think about it.....ff4. Edward loses his woman anna, when he played the harp that was so sad. There was this girl in jr. high named anna that sat by me in my home ec class. I wish she woulda been mine....again tellah casting meteo in revenge for his daughter anna (edwards love). Palom and parom! the twins sacrifice themselves, you don't their ok till the end. the freaking magus sisters, kain's constant affiliation problems. FF4 is a close second.

so which was your favorit guys? I'd bet dimes to tons it's one of the newer new fangled CGI encrusted ones eh? oh don't get me wrong I like them too, but the sprite based characters I just somehow pine for
theartthief
You almost persuaded me on FF3 (US) as that is one of my favorite games. However, I had to give it to FF1 because that is what got me into RPG in the first place.

- theartthief
JongWK
Ditto. FF1 was the very first RPG I played. Curse/bless that game.

Of course, FF3 US was absolutely fantastic. Hands down one of SNES' top 10 games.
Diesel
Seven yo. That Seph's summon was the bizomb.

And 11 = teh crap. I just like to get that out as much as possible.
Hocus Pocus
they say that the first FF game you play is usually your favorite.

Mines was FF2 (us), then I played ff1, then FF3(us). I just think the series met it's apex with that one FF3(us)
Kagetenshi
FFV, by far.

It wasn't the first FF I played; actually, the fourth. I played, in this order, FFVIII, FFVII, FFVI, FFV.

~J
Hocus Pocus
so I take it you've never played ff3(US)? if not ya should! smile.gif
Kagetenshi
FF3 (US) being FFVI, I have played it.

~J
Hocus Pocus
oh that's right sorry. Was slightly inebriated when I posted that.
HMHVV Hunter
FF6 is the best in terms of plot. The perfect villain, great character relationships, heart-wrenching moments all-around - still the very best.

However, FFX comes very close because of its good blend of human interest stories and "save the world" plot. The whole Sin plot is great, but the relationship between Yuna and Tidus is so very heart-warming, especially
[ Spoiler ]
Austere Emancipator
Partly inspired by this thread I got myself FF7. It's nice, in a freaky Japanese way. Until an hour ago it decided it will crash when I enter Bugenhagen's observatorium, when it shows the Shooting Star movie -- it just hangs there, showing the same screen where Tifa looks up and blinks every now and then.

Checked a few forums, tried the few solutions, found out that this is for many an insolvable game-stopper. Great.

So, uhh, I suppose I'd have to say I don't really like any of them, and I especially hate one.
Austere Emancipator
Now it's official, there's absolutely no way whatsoever to get past that problem. Unless, of course, I want to keep skipping from scene to scene through the debug room for the whole god damn game, which means I only get to play max ½ of the game, and for most of that I wouldn't have a fucking clue what was going on. Lovely.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
FF6 is the best in terms of plot. The perfect villain, great character relationships, heart-wrenching moments all-around - still the very best.

While I was impressed with the amount of character development 6 managed to provide its huge cast of characters, Kefka was NOT a perfect villain by any means. "Look at me! Im really crazy! I'll kill the planet for no reason at all! See, I'm dressed like a clown! Thats CRAZY!"

Whoop-de-do... a villain whose only motivation is "nothing, he's just crazy" doesn't strike me as being particularly interesting. Sorry. Sephiroth is a much better villain, IMNSHO.

AE: I'm sorry, man. I've never heard of that problem before. Can't you just take the game back and exchange it for a new copy? Or is the problem less a "defective game disc" problem and more a "It doesn't like my specific computer settings" problem?
Diesel
AE: That sucks, because that game really, dare I say, pwned.
Austere Emancipator
The above problem was more of the "doesn't like my computer" sort. However, I decided it was a decent enough game to try it even if I had no clue what was going on, so I just skipped to Mt Nibel through the debug room, and (sort of) managed get to the end of Disc 1. To found out that Disc 2 was indeed defective. I got it used and really haven't got anyone to bitch about it to.

But the game was indeed pretty decent, and I now partly understand what the whole Final Fantasy fuss is about. And should I ever see it sold somewhere cheap enough, I might even try it again. I'm always on the lookout for games that pwn.
TimeKeeper
Between the ones I own (1,2,4,5,6,7,8,10) I have to say 4 is my fav.

Even though it looks dated (even when compaired to 6) as soon as I started it up again, I didn't stop till I got out of the underworld.

As for 6, I'm trying to track down the Espers that escaped.

While I liked the story of 8, I hated the gameplay and I never finished it.
Come to think of it, I've only finished 1 (NES version), 6 and 7. And that was after I'd been playing 7 for a year ( A WHOLE FRICKN YEAR!) and decided to cheat with a gameshark.
Hocus Pocus
those game problems....you guys have it on computer?

I still like kefka more than sepherith (sp) manly because of that, his insanity. I read somewhere that an audience hates a villian but loves a good one. That is who kefka is tormenting the townsfolk, Whenever he came on the scence with that laught and with that music I cracked a smile wondering what kinda evil thing he is going to do next, ya actually looked foreward to seeing him. Sephy never had that, he was a good villian, but no where close to kefka wink.gif

"tee-hee, but what fun is it if no "precious" lives are lost?"
I will create a monument to nonexistance!"

-kefka
Kagetenshi
The laugh really makes the character. Screw all these "CD-quality" voices, we want 8-bit demoniacal laughter!

(Or was it 16 by that point?)

~J
JongWK
It wasn't just the laugh, remember the wacky tune.

Oh, speaking of tunes... The FF series has hands down the best tune ever (you know what I'm talking about).
hobgoblin
personalyi allways go for FFV(5) based not on story but on the sheer openness of the character development.
shadd4d
I liked 2 (US) mostly because the storyline was so much more in depth. The villian and the twists were just wonderful. OTOH, 3(US) was just great, although the villian was not the best. Best villian: Zeromus in 2, in my opinion. He was a great villian, although Kefka was just a little off his rocker. Plus Zeromus had better attacks. Yes, the graphics looked poor, but Supernova, Blackhole, and Big Bang rank as some of the coolest attacks I've ever seen.

Haven't played after 9; it's just not all that stimulating now. Rather spend money on books than anything else.

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012