Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missions FAQ -- Points to Hit?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Bull
Ok, first off, this is not a discussion thread. You want to discuss a topic, start a new thread for it, or find one that's already ongoing. I want to keep this thread clean, simple, and to the point, for ease of my reference later on.

I'm working on an Updated FAQ for Season 4. The Season 3 FAQ will not change, so if you're still playing Season 2, 3, or the 2010 CMPs, the Season 3 FAQ and all previous rules still apply.

What I want from this thread is any points that you guys feel should be in the FAQ. This is Missions Specific, so if it's a problem you have with the way the general rules work, take that up with Jason and the other guys. My only concern is how the official rules interact with the Missions Living Campaign. So if there's something you feel is missing and needs to be there, list it. Something that's there and doesn't apply? Whatever.

My only request is that you keep this simple, straightforward, do not repeat previous posters, and do not reply to other posters. As I say above, if you want to discuss or argue something, take it to another thread. I will ask the Mods to move or remove any discussion or argumentative posts from this thread. I'll be referring to it (And one on the OSR4 forums) while I write, and I don't want to wade through a lot of chatter.

Also, as a caveat... Putting a suggestion up here does not mean it will go into the FAQ. I'll take everyone's comments into consideration, write up what I feel will best work for Missions as far as balance, the overall feel and tone of what we want for Season 4, getting Jason's feedback and stamp of approval, as well as some of the SR4 regular freelancers opinions as well.

Bull

P.S. If you use both forums, just post into one or the other. I'll compile the info from both.
TranKirsaKali
1. Allow the optional rule to get a point of adept powers instead of a meta magic upon initiating for adepts.

2. Put into the FAQ that if there is time after the game you may roll for buying gear instead of using the 4:1 post game rule.
Fringe
I'd like to see Extended Tests worked differently. I think there are enough tasks (e.g., writing a thesis, fixing a car) out there that are long-term but possible that the current blanket rule (4:1 + diminishing returns) can seem heavy-handed. (As a suggestion, I think a lower cap on the decaying dice pool, say 1/3 to 1/2 the original pool, would better reflect a lot of long-term tasks for which the Extended Test was probably intended more to reflect things taking a long time than to make them impossible.) On the other hand, I can see the current ruling as intended to balance the campaign as far as equipment availability.

I'd like to see the ruling made clear for what's required by the players to make/maintain a magical group (or the TM equivalent). The rules seem a little vague, but I posted my group and I carry around a copy of the writeup with my Missions character. If that's all that's needed, great.

I'd like to see the selling rule clarified. It currently says 10% of book value, I think, but there's been enough debate on these forums that it may need more clarification. Does that amount already take account of the reductions for stolen, used, etc.?
Neurosis
Well there's just two posts and both of the glaring issues I could think of have already been mentioned.
Wraith235
scratch that
User McUser
I think that the Martial Arts Quality should be allowed.
LurkerOutThere
Thoughts:

The qualities section needs update, in addition to In Debt there are some other qualities out there that are kind of weird with a living campaign or require way too much GM arbitration to work, Sprite Link sticks in my head but a new thread with a top down review might be beneficial.

I think the actual rule regarding skill improvement between modules needs to be changed to allow one skill improvement between mods per skill without any dice rolling per messyness. There really isn't another sane interpretation in a Living Campaign. Frankly the roling dice to improve skills rule is often overlooked anyway, might as well make it official. Karma is already an effective enough limiter on character advancement without adding one more level of book keeping.

Nitpicky thing: If used cyberware is not permissible at character creation that should be moved into the rules on character creation. I'm actually pretty happy with the "no harvesting ware" houserule otherwise. It does funny things with encounter balance otherwise.

It is my personal belief that possession mages should be banned, I am currently playing a psionic so I think i'm fairly justified in this belief.
wylie
Please see if it is viable to allow shapeshifters and drakes. Nagas and such are allowed, why not the rest?
on vampires, i could allowing ghouls and such, but not all of the vampire races, as long as player understands the roleplaying side, ie predujuice/ hate
Neurosis
In terms of wacky things, it should be all or none. If a naga is not too damn weird, then neither is a drake. (It should not be a balance issue, because they should be balanced in the RAW. Hence I assume it is a weirdness issue.)

Also, I think that degrading dice pools is fine on its own and 4:1 is fine on its own but I think that combining the two is a HORRIBLE mistake for reasons that have been described in great detail elsewhere. It makes improving your character between games almost impossible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012