Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exposure to other media through gaming
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Tanegar
I just ordered all four of DragonForce's albums because I heard "Through the Fire and Flames" while playing Brütal Legend and found it unspeakably awesome. Anybody have a similar experience, where a game referenced a work in another medium and inspired you to check it out?
pbangarth
This has happened to me with movies and TV shows, but not with a game, as far as I can recall.
Kagetenshi
I found an appreciation for the work of GOBELINS from several of their shorts being included as "what's playing on a nearby TV" in Heavy Rain.

~J
nylanfs
I found the band Nightwish from the user created Gridstream radio station that started for Anarchy Online. That count smile.gif
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 24 2010, 06:29 PM) *
I found an appreciation for the work of GOBELINS from several of their shorts being included as "what's playing on a nearby TV" in Heavy Rain.

~J

I found this before playing Heavy Rain, but when I played, it seemed top be the only tv show in existence...

I don't think a game has ever influenced me to purchase a different pie e of media (other than more games) unless said game is directly related to the other media...i.e. perhaps Rock Band makes me want to find a particular band that was on the game (music game leading to music purchase...no brainer) or maybe the game is based on a book/movie. I DO often find that media within a game is something that I already like/have seen/listened to. Like in my Heavy Rain example or like in Brutal Legend, where I already listen to a lot of the songs on there...

I guess I'm just a few steps ahead of the game makers nyahnyah.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 24 2010, 03:46 PM) *
I just ordered all four of DragonForce's albums because I heard "Through the Fire and Flames" while playing Brütal Legend and found it unspeakably awesome. Anybody have a similar experience, where a game referenced a work in another medium and inspired you to check it out?

As an aside...

Trying to play a DragonForce song on Rock Band is downright murder on the fingers.

-k
Dumori
S.T.A.L.K.E.R made my hunt down Firelake tracks. After dirge for the planet got stuck in my head for weeks. Am a bigish fan I know I'm one of the few big English fans.
Maxwell Silverhammer
I discovered http://www.blind-guardian.com/ While playing the Sacred RPG on Xbox 360 last year. The band actually had its own quest where you went and helped the members get their instruments back. you were then treated to a full motion animated Rock video in-game of the song the bang wrote for the game. That was really cool I have since bought several of their old albums. Great Rock band.

Oh, and the trailer for Gears of War did make me go buy the single "Mad World" from the Donnie Darko soundtrack.
Mäx
Warhammer 40k:Dawn of War, got me really intrested with the world. Now days i own a stack of novels taking place there.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 29 2010, 06:27 AM) *
Warhammer 40k:Dawn of War, got me really intrested with the world. Now days i own a stack of novels taking place there.
Yes, come to think of it, SR got me to read a lot of SR novels... despite the fact that many of those novels were very poorly written and/or edited.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Sep 25 2010, 12:10 PM) *
I found this before playing Heavy Rain, but when I played, it seemed top be the only tv show in existence...

There are, IIRC, three or four television sets you can watch during the game. Each one has a different GOBELINS short looping endlessly.

~J
Wounded Ronin
Every time I listen to classic rock/folk music about the Vietnam War it makes me go back and play Jagged Alliance 2 and Vietcong.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 29 2010, 03:45 PM) *
it makes me go back and play Jagged Alliance 2

That's a good impulse. Trust that impulse.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a new Jagged Alliance game. I wonder if I could get Silent Storm to run under Vista...
Wounded Ronin
Oh, here's an example of exposure to other media through gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCPL3DJ72tM

It's gaming...it's VCD...it's both!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012