Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fading and healing magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
alltheraz
Hi everyone. I've been a long-time lurker here, but this is my first forum topic.

Anyway.

In a recent one-shot run for me and a few of my friends we came across an interesting problem involving Technomancer Fading and magical healing. My question is: is Fading damage resistant to healing like magical Drain? It doesn't seem to say one way or another in the SR4A core book.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
ProfGast
Fading cannot be healed by Magical Healing, same as drain. Let me see if I can hunt up where it says so specifically...

Edit: ... Bah I can't find it... I could have sworn I saw it somewhere. The closest I have found is a clause under Health Spells which says "No techniques currently known to magic can erase stun damage or cure psychological conditions." (p207 sr4a) Since Fading is normally causes Stun and only causes Physical when you're trying to pull stuff that's over your head, that's how I'd call it. If Magic can't heal normal Fading, I don't see any reason why it should be able to heal Physical Fading.
Jaid
QUOTE (ProfGast @ Oct 1 2010, 03:31 PM) *
Fading cannot be healed by Magical Healing, same as drain. Let me see if I can hunt up where it says so specifically...

Edit: ... Bah I can't find it... I could have sworn I saw it somewhere. The closest I have found is a clause under Health Spells which says "No techniques currently known to magic can erase stun damage or cure psychological conditions." (p207 sr4a) Since Fading is normally causes Stun and only causes Physical when you're trying to pull stuff that's over your head, that's how I'd call it. If Magic can't heal normal Fading, I don't see any reason why it should be able to heal Physical Fading.

i'm not aware of any limitation on healing fading. and i can't say that i agree with your logic as to why it shouldn't work. if we follow that theory, then because attacks from a person's fist cause damage that sorcery can't heal, we should presume that attacks from a hammer likewise cause damage that sorcery can't heal.

also, there actually *is* a magical technique that can heal stun damage, iirc. it just isn't a spell; it's an adept power.
ProfGast
The difference is physical damage caused by stun spillover, vs physical damage caused by switching from Stun to Drain and exceeding your resonance. Also the adept power in question, Pain Relief, is more a treatment/medical + Awakened mojo than actual magical healing. True, it does do "effectively healing Stun Damage" (Street Magic, 179) but unlike healing spells it takes a 5 minutes to heal per box.

I take your point though, it doesn't explicitly say you can't heal Fading with magic, but something inside me simply rebels at say, a Technomancer and a Mage sitting there, the Technomancer Threading over his resonance/compiling incredibly powerful sprites with what essentially amounts to no penalties.
Jaid
QUOTE (ProfGast @ Oct 1 2010, 04:30 PM) *
I take your point though, it doesn't explicitly say you can't heal Fading with magic, but something inside me simply rebels at say, a Technomancer and a Mage sitting there, the Technomancer Threading over his resonance/compiling incredibly powerful sprites with what essentially amounts to no penalties.

i'm sure the mage would disagree on the 'no penalties' part, since he's the one who has to deal with the drain from healing the technomancer wink.gif (also, iirc the technomancer does suffer a penalty on all healing tests, just for being a technomancer, but it's relatively minor... -2 as i recall)
LurkerOutThere
It's pretty trivial compared to the healing penalty for 'ware, which now applies to both magic and mundane healing. Go go Magic Run!
SleepIncarnate
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 1 2010, 03:55 PM) *
i'm sure the mage would disagree on the 'no penalties' part, since he's the one who has to deal with the drain from healing the technomancer wink.gif (also, iirc the technomancer does suffer a penalty on all healing tests, just for being a technomancer, but it's relatively minor... -2 as i recall)

I don't recall ever seeing this anywhere. Can you find a reference for me? As far as I know, if a TM still has essence 6, they're treated just like anyone else with essence 6 in regards to magic. The only thing I can remember ANYWHERE in regards to TM healing is that the Medic CF/Prog doesn't work on them and that they need a specific echo (which I forget the name of off hand) to heal damage taken in the Matrix (which also does not heal Fading damage).

EDIT: The echo is called Defragmentation.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (p.253 SR4A Healing Modifiers Table)
Patient is magician, adept, or technomancer –2

Jaid
yup, that's the one. thanks LurkerOutThere.

PS: you're doing a terrible job of lurking, you know. giving lurkers everywhere a bad name with your habits of actually posting to a thread wink.gif (note: that was intended to be completely tongue-in-cheek and was not intended to be taken seriously in any way)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012