Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Many users here like older games
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Thanee
This place tunes up the old games to run on Windows and DRM free. Pretty nice! smile.gif

http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

Bye
Thanee
Fabe
I've bought 4 games so far from them and they all run fine,definitely worth checking out.
Dumori
Yes gog.com is cool though finding ames I don't still have on disc that still run is harder than one might think? Me and my hoarding. I mean I just got a copy of postal: classic nd uncut for 49p not the $5.99 it is on gog.com
Voran
Man Freespace 2. I loved that game series, its a pity nothing more happened with it. Sure we've had other spacefightersim games since then, but I still feel they handled the weight and challenge of attacking a capital ship, or just watching 2 cap ships fight each other, better than any other game I've played. Better than Wing Commander, better than Star Wars... Flying through flak explosions, anti-fighter beam weapons, dodging between beam exchanges of 2 cruisers beating the crap out of each other....they don't make games like that anymore.
Dumori
QUOTE (Voran @ Oct 4 2010, 12:03 AM) *
Man Freespace 2. I loved that game series, its a pity nothing more happened with it. Sure we've had other spacefightersim games since then, but I still feel they handled the weight and challenge of attacking a capital ship, or just watching 2 cap ships fight each other, better than any other game I've played. Better than Wing Commander, better than Star Wars... Flying through flak explosions, anti-fighter beam weapons, dodging between beam exchanges of 2 cruisers beating the crap out of each other....they don't make games like that anymore.

IDK the X serrise can be like that.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Voran @ Oct 4 2010, 12:03 AM) *

"We just built the Yamato of spacecraft! We'll knock that planetkiller back to wherever spawned it!"

"Hooray, we blew it u-SHIT SIX MORE JUST JUMPED IN"

I love the entire Freespace series for being one step forward, two cruisers back.
Voran
Yknow, I don't even think it was a meme/trope yet (not even sure if it is one yet), but my immediate thought when the whole "We're going to build a supercruiser!" thing happened, was "Hm. 1)That thing is going to do awesome at first 2)Shortly thereafter its going to get pounded. 3)Yknow what, I'm also betting for some dumb reason the 5000 squadrons based in that thing won't be able to fight in the mission where it dies.

Though I may have gotten that vibe because I had seen it before with the big glass cannon in Wing Commander 3.

Doc Chase
And Prophecy, where the supercruiser had a fo'realz glass cannon that fired a grand total of once?
Dumori
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Oct 4 2010, 09:13 PM) *
And Prophecy, where the supercruiser had a fo'realz glass cannon that fired a grand total of once?

I prefer the playing Homeworld 2 to going well it's not like they'll play the attacked in training card again but this time let you build up a force early but have much more combat heavy missions. Nope the same thing happens you get attacked before you are quite ready you new home planted is siiged (at least this time its not genocide) and the missions do have more heavy combat but no real extra arming time.

I mean you could almost see it happening in the first game.
Blade
Freespace 2 is still alive. The source code has been released and a dedicated fanbase has since then improved both the code and the resources (graphics, sounds, music) and created a lot of very good campaigns and even a few interesting mods.
The best of all is that thanks to the licence of the latest version of Freespace which allows sharing the game with friends, you can get all this for free.

link
Doc Chase
I hear there was a rather good Battlestar Galactica port for Freespace 2. Means I'll have to pick up a joystick again, but it'd be worth it to fly a Viper.
Tanegar
There's a decent Battlestar Galactica mod for Homeworld 2. It's a little unstable, but worth checking out.
Dumori
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Oct 6 2010, 02:41 AM) *
There's a decent Battlestar Galactica mod for Homeworld 2. It's a little unstable, but worth checking out.

I recall a rather epic Star War mod for home world two. Tough star wars sucks for blance he tried to price things right. But HUGE ttech tree.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Dumori @ Oct 6 2010, 05:33 PM) *
I recall a rather epic Star War mod for home world two. Tough star wars sucks for blance he tried to price things right. But HUGE ttech tree.

You recall correctly, sir. It had its issues (default game type was essentially an unwinnable sandbox, since the "construction" unit for all players was an indestructible nav beacon where their ships warped in) but there was fun to be had setting up fantasy engagements.
Bert
I love gog. I've purchased more than a few games from them, and I've had no problems what so ever. Definatly (sp? too lazy to check) recommend.
Critias
Master of Orion 2!

Squee!
silva
Might and Magic 6: Mandate of Heaven!

Age of Wonders 1 !

oh.. the memories..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012