Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealment power in combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Neurosis
The chunky salsa rules make the game far too deadly. Most combat is done in rooms/hallways under 15m across (that's a 45 by 45 foot room, or about twice the size of a middle-high income home's living room).

Most grenades in ShadowRun will completely fill this space and reflect part of the distance back.

(God forbid an NPC tosses a grenade at the PCs standing in a 3m wide hallway!)

Of course....a simple frag grenade (not intended for breaching) will chew through 20cm of SOLID BRICK by RAW if the grenade rolls into a corner (that's before any chunky salsa effect even occurs).

Well fortunately, at least there's the possibiltiy that the walls will be relatively flimsy and 'give' preventing the blast from cascading. But yes, BAB (Blast Against Barriers) is very lethal. As a GM I tend to ignore it when it's not dramatically appropriate.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Oct 20 2010, 03:21 PM) *
I faced the same RIDICULOUSLY TOUGH (on paper) encounter with a BADLY UNDERPOWERED team. (Like....three people ~17 Karma each. My Magic 5, Agility 4, Body 4, Strength 5 Initiate Grade 1, no-bioware Adept was the most powerful party member and we were all badly exhausted (no Edge left by design) when the fight started.) Fortunately, my adept managed to get a grenade past the Blood Mage's physical barrier a split-second before it went up. Blast in a confined space took care of the rest (the barrier) and a second grenade in the water and hydrostatic shock gimped the blood mage's getaway sub. Then we picked them apart with the help of the brokezor Mystic Crusader who came with us. I know as a fact that the GM underplayed the opposition, though. If she'd gone all out with the stats as written we'd have been done-for. The opposition was very very very powerful.

I do think that in the encounter as designed however the PCs are supposed to have the element of surprise.

If I had been GMing against you and you were WINNING I would have had the Blood Mage trigger his auto-injector of K-10 and/or cast a maxed out Jaguar Form spell. Different story.

Well, since you took my summary out of the spoiler tag. frown.gif

My team was powerful enough and I absolutely hated the author suggestion of using the Mary Sue npc to even the odds, so the Mystic Crusader was "Sir Not Appearing in this Shadowrun." The real trick for them was getting the drop on the Aztech team so that they could concentrate fire on the blood mage *before* he was able to get the F12 Barrier spell up. What really ruined it for the Aztech team was the blood mage being the only person in milspec *and* having the smoke aura spell quickened *and* ritually slashing the throat of a sacrificial victim with an obsidian dagger to absorb the drain from the aforementioned huge Barrier spell. An object lesson in the dangers of "Distinctive Style" and "Overconfident" negative qualities, I think you'll agree.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012