Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Similar traditions and domains
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wanderer
The SR4 magic system provides that aspected background count can have positive effects on whole groups of magical traditions that are sufficiently similar. This is IMO a quite sensible rule. However, no guideline has been provided to define which traditions align together. This thread is an attempt to make such a classification.

High magic traditions:

Hermetics
Wuxing
Black Magic
Chaos Magic
Gardnerian Wicca
English Druidism
secular Qabbalism

Politheistic religious traditions:

Celtic Druidism
Norse
Goddess Wicca
Hindu
Classical
Egyptian

Monotheistic religious traditions:

Christian Theurgy
Islamic
theurgic Qabbalism
Zoroastrian
Buddhism (for game purposes)

Animistic traditions:

Native American Shamanism
Shinto
Aboriginal
Voodoo
Aztec
Wild Druidism

Summerstorm
Ah, but just because some mages get their power from "one god" it doesn't mean they can use the aspected domain of another one. Quite the opposite, i even guess.

A Shinto paper mage can never use the domain of a voodoun or such.

I myself allow for aspected domains for a CAUSE, though. (It is hinted in the book that domains may be able to function like that too -gm discretion). For example i have a club which is frequented by magical customers, located on a lesser mana nexus. Its domain is aspected to ENTERTAINMENT. No matter what you cast, if you intent to entertain with it, you get to use the mana. Doesn't matter if it is a manipulation or an illusion or what tradition you use.

I handle other domains similar sometimes. But people having a standart domain pretty much share it with nobody else. I guess a few tradions MAY share, like jewish/christian/islamic - but only if the contructing AND the casting mage had an open mind and regard their powers as the same, and agree on core dogmas.

Other combinations i think MIGHT be possible under the right circumstances: Druids and Pathmagic; Chaos and Hermetic;Rastafari and either christian or voodoo; Wicca and New Satanic.

Hm... should psionic even be capable of using energy from the outside? What is their excuse for that anyway? Better "tune" with the world around them for SOME reason?
UmaroVI
Or maybe different background counts group things differently. For example, maybe one background count would work for Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions ( Christian Theurgy, Islamic, and Theurgic Qabbalism ) only. A druidic one might work for both Wild Druidism and English Druidism. A third might work any tradition that uses the system of five elements (Wuxing, Shinto), and another might work for any tradition commonly accepted in China (Buddhism, Wuxing, Taoism), et cetera. In other words, it makes more sense that there would be a lot of overlapping categories than a single fixed set.
Neraph
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Oct 27 2010, 07:11 AM) *
Or maybe different background counts group things differently. For example, maybe one background count would work for Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions ( Christian Theurgy, Islamic, and Theurgic Qabbalism ) only. A druidic one might work for both Wild Druidism and English Druidism. A third might work any tradition that uses the system of five elements (Wuxing, Shinto), and another might work for any tradition commonly accepted in China (Buddhism, Wuxing, Taoism), et cetera. In other words, it makes more sense that there would be a lot of overlapping categories than a single fixed set.

I agree with this one. For the Judeo-Christian-Islamic one (putting aside an actual examination of those three), add Zoroastrian to the list. Also, Zoroastrian can also overlap with Black Magic, as Zoroastrian uses a christian-esque good-versus-evil, angels-versus-demons, one god versus evil satan styled thing.
Glyph
For traditions who see things in terms of good and evil, I think it would depend a lot on which side of that divide the mage is on. A black magician might draw power from an ancient temple devoted to Ahriman, but be hindered if that same temple was devoted to Ahura Mazda.

In addition to the similarity of traditions, the ideology of the individual mage should be looked at. A Shintoist who reveres nature might be able to use a druidic circle. A Christian who is hermetic might still feel empowered standing in the ruins of an ancient church.
Yerameyahu
Agreed: the 'proper' way to handle a complex system of aspected domains (if that's the goal) is to give (not necessarily 'write down') each tradition a set of 'tags' or 'keywords' (e.g., 'five elements', 'Chinese', 'monotheistic'), and allow domains to be more or less freely aspected ('entertainment', 'Chinese', 'Hermetic', 'nature'). Sufficient overlap means you get the bonus (or, if you wanna get crazy, could even even run on a continuum of negative-neutral-positive). smile.gif

Me, I leave them out of the game entirely, but whatever fits for you. biggrin.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Glyph @ Oct 27 2010, 11:33 PM) *
For traditions who see things in terms of good and evil, I think it would depend a lot on which side of that divide the mage is on. A black magician might draw power from an ancient temple devoted to Ahriman, but be hindered if that same temple was devoted to Ahura Mazda.

That's what I thought I implied. I guess it didn't make it.

@Yerameyahu - adding taglines to traditions just makes me chuckle for some reason. "Wait, how did 'transgendered' get added onto XYZ tradition? Why is 'Dragonball Z' on Wuxing?"
Glyph
Aspected areas tend to be created by strong emotions, so I think such sites would be more concerned with things such as devotion to good/evil, reverence for nature, free love, etc.

The exceptions would be areas where dogma is one of those strong emotions. In the middle of the Vatican, for example, a Christian mage might not be able to tap into that aspected power if he is not Catholic. Protestant, Anglican, or Orthodox? Out of luck.
Sengir
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Oct 27 2010, 12:11 PM) *
Or maybe different background counts group things differently. For example, maybe one background count would work for Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions ( Christian Theurgy, Islamic, and Theurgic Qabbalism ) only.

I'd say that just like many other aspects of SR magic, it depends on how the mage in question sees the world. Some hardcore [scripture]-thumping "my reading of this book is right, you are all blasphemers" type might not be able to use a power site of a similar denomination. On the other hand a Christian/Muslim mage from Africa might even get some use out of an animalistic domain, because the local religious creole typically incorporates a number of "old" beliefs.

Clear "give me a good reason and I'll allow it" area, IMO. Note that "my character once read a book about it" is not a good reason wink.gif
Ascalaphus
In borderline cases I'd make the mage use Arcana to adapt to the local area; a Hermetic would need to do so to adjust to a Black Magic domain for example. But it sounds like case by case material.
Neraph
QUOTE (Sengir @ Oct 28 2010, 05:59 AM) *
Note that "my character once read a book about it" is not a good reason wink.gif

What about if the player once read a book about it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012